Author Topic: "Lady Owner" cars  (Read 3103 times)

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
"Lady Owner" cars
« on: April 20, 2011, 06:49:07 PM »
NÂș 2 son has just scored himself an apprentiship, so we're on the hunt for a small car for him.
Something I see in quite a few ads is "Lady Owner/Driver". How is that suppose to be a selling point?
If you were to believe all the jokes about women drivers, it would be a reason not to buy. I know women drivers who are on par with some men, others who are worse!!!
I truely don't understand the reasoning behind the sales pitch, please enlighten?
Bob and Robyn

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
Re: "Lady Owner" cars
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 07:00:46 PM »
I think that means the water , oil , trans , and battery have never been checked until they failed.. or serviced after the light come on.
If i see this , i run away.. ;D
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline 2 Brutal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 08:08:02 PM »
Supposed to mean it hasn't had a hard life, only gentle driving etc. If the lady owner is over 60 I'd bet it needs a new clutch. :D
Custom made stone guards and boat loaders for Jayco Outbacks and more.

Offline griz066

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 08:14:02 PM »
Supposed to mean it hasn't had a hard life, only gentle driving etc. If the lady owner is over 60 I'd bet it needs a new clutch. :D

And a new bulb in the right hand indicator ;D ;D ;D ;D
Yesterday's Gone, Tomorrow Hasn't Happened, Live For Today.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12950.msg192834#msg192834

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 08:17:34 PM »
Hey BobnRob,, got to laugh... friend of mine just listed her car on gumtree, did not even no she was selling it,, anyway,, i know its serviced regularly and in good nick for what it is,,
could be worth a look
http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-cars-Nissan-Pulsar-Excellent-condition-W0QQAdIdZ276511824

BHG..

Poverty Pack.!

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 08:44:13 PM »
Only driven to church on Sunday morning ,,, then to the stock car demolition derby in the arvo . It have a radio to listen to the classical concert LOUD as the motor thingy out front under the lid makes funny noises  ::)
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline toeball

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 09:10:44 PM »
Door ding's, shopping trolley scrape marks, food smeared into the back seat, lots of short trips............might be better to buy something that was thrashed ???
I-zoo-zoo D-MAX and a Lifestyle Explorer + (+ more)

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 09:20:56 PM »
Mines not for sale  8)
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 09:07:53 AM »
Yeah, guess it's right up there with "undulating land" & "renovators delight" *lol*

Thanks for the heads-up BHG, but for me, price is a bit rich for k's & remaining rego.
Perhaps you can ask her why she feels compelled to state "Lady Owner"? :)

And Speewa, can I not buy yours?
Bob and Robyn

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 12:47:28 PM »
Lady owner ????    .......how much was the Patrol anyway ?? :-*
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 02:29:27 PM »
Because if you put "Owned by an 18yr old teenage bloke who has all the Fast and Furious DVD special edition DVDs and likes listening to loud techno music", would you buy it?

I agree with the general thrust of what you're trying to get at here, in our progressive, modern, non-sexist society it shouldn't make a difference. But the reality is that by listing "Lady Driver" it invokes an image in the potential customer's mind of a vehicle that's been taken care of, serviced regularly and not driven to within an inch of it's life.

NB - That image may not match up to reality - most of our preconceived assumptions don't, and I've no problems admitting that I've been spectacularly out-driven (and out-ridden) by a number of girls in the past. When I first started at my current job years ago I became good friends with one particular girl who's daily-driver was an older Celica with an engine swap and a full roll-cage and harnesses. It wasn't a good car by any stretch of the imagination, but man was it quick.

Thanks!
Matto :)
(Who's previous list of vehicles includes, among others, a '77 Charger, an '84 beige Sigma that could push just over 130db, a 1600 VW beetle and a Nissan Silvia. Something for everyone in there. None were sold as "Lady Owner", btw.)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.