Author Topic: Noobie from West Melbourne  (Read 7562 times)

Offline mheloy

• Swag User
Noobie from West Melbourne
« on: November 06, 2014, 10:40:00 AM »
Hi,

New noobie from West Melbourne. We were invited by a friend to do camping. I thought this would be great
experience for me (I've never done camping before) and my kids (8y/o and 2y/o). My wife was convinced as well
so we decided to go. My friend brought us to Torquay that is a powered site. So we setup our tent (aldi tent).
We have a 4 person tent and our friend has the 9 person. I thought that was huge . We stayed there overnight (first
time campers) and it was a great experience. Having to relax and enjoy the day. The kids enjoyed the beach and other activities there
Over the weekend (Melbourne cup weekend), we invited another family (now three families) to go camping again over
long weekend and we did. We went to Warnambool (Big 4 Hopkins River). It was a great experience eventhough it was
a challenge to setup the tent with 40-60 kph winds. We still manage to setup all three tents, with few broken poles, by helping each other.
We went fishing, lots of swimming in the pool and beach, relaxing and playing with the kids. We occupied LS02-03-04
but LS 01,05,06 was not occupied so its almost we rented the whole area wherein the kids can play almost anything.

Now I was thinking where else can we go to see the beautiful places in Australia. After the first trip, I thought
of buying a better tent like the Coleman 8person instant up tent, then I saw camper trailers both soft and hard floors,
I like the hard floors. I then saw the hard floor foward folding version which I like as well given the main bed and
the second area (can be converted to a bed) is elevated from the floor. I've looked at Jayco Camper Trailers (I like the SWAN)
I also like the Expanda (we a lot of Expanda in Warnambool) but I think this will be out of my budget.

Where should I start?

Priorities
1. Can sleep 2 adults and 2 kids comfortably. In our 4 person tent we were squeezing in the queen size inflatable bed
2. budget 15k can stretch to 20k it if its really good and value for money
3. Ktichen... seems fairly standard. Maybe good to have pump
4. Provision the a fridge as during our trip to Warnambool we have lots of things stored in the common Fridge of the site
   - I'm assuming this needs power
5. I don't think I'll be doing extreme off-roading. so I'm also thinking of the Jayco Camper trailers Outback which has all the amenities including the nice to have below
   - probably second hand

Nice to have
1. Power - Not yet required as we maybe doing a lot of powered site (the wife's said they won't do any isolated camping)
but I think they can as long as they will be comfortable
2. Hot shower - this is relating to the wife's being confortable.

What can you say on the
1 GIC DOMINATOR FF Camper Trailer $18000
2. MDC CRUIZER FF CAMPER TRAILER  19990... this is really stretching it
3. Ezytrail Coorong GT hard floor.

Kindly advise how do we move forward.

scarpsD40

Noobie from West Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 10:51:35 AM »
Welcome to myswag, sounds like you've jumped right into doing this camping thing. Welcome aboard. Maybe have a look at any second hand Campers that are for sale in the trader section on here.

You may also want to plan a trip up the Hume Fwy to Albury Wodonga on the 15th and 16th November for the camping expo. Swagg'r by the name of evolution will be happy to make you a coffee and haveachat.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 11:04:01 AM by scarpsD40 »

KingBilly

Re: Noobie from West Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 11:39:00 AM »
G'day and welcome.  Glad you could join us.

Wow, the camping bug has well and truly bitten you and your family.  You won't regret it  :D

As scarps said, suggest you look second hand.  You will get a lot of a camper for the dollars you are prepared to spend.  Also you will be surprised how little use some of the second hand campers have had.  Some are as good as new and several thousands cheaper.

Happy camping
KB

Offline mheloy

• Swag User
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 01:11:59 PM »
Hi,

Thanks scarpsD40 and KingBilly for the warm welcome.
I don't think I can make the Albury bcause its about 4 hours drive, if ever I would need a whole weekend in Albury. Anyway are there upcoming events that is closer?

I'll check the ads as well.

Thanks agian

Offline Banjo16

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The road less travelled
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 03:56:01 PM »
Welcome to another keen camper, good luck with your search.
Cheers,
Don

PB Challenger
Jayco Starcraft OB

Offline speedhump

• Tent User
  • Going places ... others dream!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 03:58:04 PM »

Welcome aboard, you will find lots of help & information here.
Speedhump
Speedhump
2013 triton 4WD dual cab
2016 New Age Wallaby Caravan
4.55m Makocraft runabout & Quintrex 350 cartopper
Our Blog: chezzastravels.wordpress.com

Offline mheloy

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 01:13:35 PM »
I'd like to visit some retailers.
I found EZY Trail an GIC, anyone else?
Also how would I know if its chinese import or locally made?

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 09:36:58 PM »
G'day mate,

Welcome to MySwag  :cup:

Sounds like you have been bitten by the camping bug quite hard. It is great to be able to get out with family and friends.  ;D

I know you said that it is a long drive to get to Albury, However the brands you are looking at should be at the show here next weekend. The names were listed on the pack I was sent. If you do manage to make it up, I will have coffee ready  (plus hopefully the fresh donut guy is there)  :cheers:

Long story cut short, any Forward fold camper that isn't ModCon is going to be either an import or 99% import including ecomate.
I am happy to run through things with you either at the show if you came or feel free to give me a call. My number is on the showroom post.

However mate, it doesn't matter what you have as long as you use it and enjoy it.  :cup:

Best of luck with your decision

Cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Offline Gwoods

• Swag User
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 07:55:35 AM »
As a Newbie as well I agree with Evo. We spent 12 months looking at campers before making a decision. The shows even if you have to travel (the furthest we went was 250km each way in a day to a show) are invaluable. The benefit of shows is that there are multiple brands and types of trailers in one place. Get an idea of what type will suit your family and camping style. Set your budget and have a good look at what the available options are.  Once we had narrowed it down we then went to the factories of a couple of brands to have a good look over the trailers, setting them up and packing them up as well as climbing underneath before committing. Hope this helps.
2014 GU Nissan Patrol
2014 Complete Campsite Uluru

Offline mheloy

• Swag User
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 10:01:49 AM »
Thanks guys... I'm sure it will be beneficial if I visit some of this shows. but its not ideal for me given we have kids activities with kids.
I plan better on the next show. anyway I'm not in a hurry (but really wanted one) so I'll research more and stay close in this forum

Edit: I'll probably go to bendigo next weekend as it's closer
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 02:21:33 PM by mheloy »

Offline Talawana5

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 09:04:28 PM »
Welcome to you and your family, there are a lot of experienced people in the My Swag family and they are always happy to share their ideas and knowledge.

Cheers

Offline mheloy

• Swag User
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 09:42:01 AM »
Thanks guys...

Should I continue this thread here or create a new thread in the General Discussion for my future noob questions

noob question.
I've got a 2007 CRV "4WD" and a 2012 CX9 FWD... which one should I install the tow bar?

Offline whitey001

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 01:39:35 PM »
21st-23rd of this month there is a caravan/camping show at Bendigo.  Not too far to drive for a day trip.

Al.
2015 MU-X LST
2019 Jayco Journey 15.48-5

Offline mheloy

• Swag User
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 02:07:11 PM »
21st-23rd of this month there is a caravan/camping show at Bendigo.  Not too far to drive for a day trip.

Al.

Yup will be going there

Offline whitey001

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 02:18:15 PM »
Yup will be going there

Same, although I think it will be more for ideas on setup.  Very limited budget and I think we've pretty much decided what model/size we want to be a viable purchase.

Day trip for us on the Sunday.

Al.
2015 MU-X LST
2019 Jayco Journey 15.48-5

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 02:20:14 PM »
Same will be staying at a CP on the Sat night
Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline mheloy

• Swag User
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 03:22:40 PM »
Thanks guys...

Should I continue this thread here or create a new thread in the General Discussion for my future noob questions

noob question.
I've got a 2007 CRV "4WD" and a 2012 CX9 FWD... which one should I install the tow bar?

any advise on this?

Offline Trailer Bloke

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • You never know what's around the corner
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 07:03:10 AM »
Mate how heavy is your trailer if you are going to do any off road or bush camping I would wack it on the 4wd.
Cheers Jon
Toyota Kluger towing a Ezytrail Tarwin http://gallery.myswag.org/gallery/v/Trailer+Bloke/

Offline mheloy

• Swag User
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2014, 01:28:52 PM »
Thanks Trailer Bloke.

I'm still looking for my first CT. Currently leaning towards the Jayco SWAN/HAWK/EAGLE Outback. Will a Honda CRV "4WD"  2.4L Petrol do justice or should be in the CX9 FWD 3.6L Petrol?

base on my reasearch the CRV has 1500kg Braked towing while CX9 has 2000kg braked... not sure if 4WD vs FWD will matter when towing.

I would say we would like to do bush camping but not extreme off roads. As long as its flat... we don't have experience in off roading...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 01:31:27 PM by mheloy »

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2014, 04:42:54 PM »
Welcome to Myswag,

If you would like to meet lots of fellow MySwaggers, get ya backside to the 2015 Nat Meet at Rainbow Beach.
Check it out in the Trips, Tracks, Touring and Reports section. Towards the top of the page.  :cheers:
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline mheloy

• Swag User
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 04:44:50 PM »
Tnx Jeepers will check it out