Author Topic: Leonora to Alice March 6th  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Dusty road

• Sleeping Bag User
Leonora to Alice March 6th
« on: January 21, 2018, 11:17:04 AM »
I'm travelling the Great Central Road in early March and wondered if anyone else has plans to be on the road at this time. also if anyone has any tips or must see places on the trip it would be most welcome.

Offline Diver

• Tent User
Re: Leonora to Alice March 6th
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 04:02:19 PM »
We travelled that route in June 2017.  Road conditions were really good .  A couple of slow spots near SA border where you get creek crossings and stones but the major part is good wide dirt.  We stayed overnight at Tjukayirla and warakurna and also refuelled at warburton.  Some good desert oaks and a campsite between Leonara and Tjukayirla at a place called "The pines" where we had a lunch stop.  There is some nice breakaway country as well but we didnt stop.  There are some great creek crossings (dry) with stands of ghost gums and heading east in the early morning some fantastic colours on the ranges.   Saw a few camels near Tjukayirla and near warburton.  Plus a few dingoes.

At warakurna we toured the Giles meteorlogical station but just missed the balloon release in the morning.  Diesel fuel prices around $2.00 - $2.40 L.  Other must see spots between Leonora and Alice are "The olgas" and Ularu.  They are only about 40km apart from memory.  Just be aware of alcohol restrictions and the need for permits along great central rd.  Also at Ularu there is just the tavern that sells take away liquor and no discounts for multiple stubbies -  I was quoted $42 for a six pack of XXXX cause they just multiply 6x$7.  I drank the wifes wine  ;D

March is likely to be much hotter than June and any late season thunderstorms or late cyclones are likely to make the drive much different from June.  Give the good people at Tjukayirla a call or look at their website http://tjukayirlaroadhouse.com.au/

I would do it all again tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 04:04:37 PM by Diver »

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 09:27:46 PM »
We did the GCR in September 2016. We did some bush camps, one at Giles Breakaway, its a great camp site with a view sitting on top of some break aways, about 50km east of Laverton.
Also Gills Pinnacle was absolutely spectacular when we were there. Follow the track in to the big cleared flat area, maybe 1km in. Its about 40km west of the border. The view of Peterman Ranges is awesome.
Lasseters Cave was a good lunch stop over too.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Dusty road

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 11:13:08 AM »
Thanks Diver and Glenm64, some good information. I'm hoping it wont be too hot but its the only time I can get three weeks to do the trip.