Author Topic: Help us stand against the Qld State Government's Townsville Youth Foyer project  (Read 3637 times)

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My website
I posted a Rant a while back. About the 5 storey, 40 unit public housing project on our back fence.

We live in Aitkenvale - a fairly quiet residential suburb in Townville.

In August last year, there was a bit of publicity about a new "Youth Foyer" to go into Aitkenvale. No location, no mention of size.
They showed TV footage of the Youth Foyer at Logan - a quite nice looking two storey 17 room apartment complex.

So nobody was particularly concerned at the time. It was to provide housing to disavantaged youth at risk of homelessness. All good right?

Then a few nice ladies walked up the driveway in January, happily telling us about the 5 Story, 40 unit complex they were going to build on our back fence corner. Right behind my neighbour. Full of 16-25yo youth.

WTF?  No consultation, kept it a secret. Surprise!

Many of my neighbours are in their 70s - 80s. They are seriously worried. There are already problems with youth at the nearby shopping centre on a thursday night, Not unusual to see multiple police cars and dog squad fully occupied.
One lady is now legally blind and will need to sell her house to get into a nursing home. How much will her house value drop with word that behind her will be a 5 storey public housing complex.

The proposal did not need council approval but actually fails five of the Council's planning requirements for a building of that size. So they are on our side.

There are at least two more appropriate blocks of land this could be built on within 2km of this location.

The government tells us that our house values will not drop, that Mission Australia can successfully manage 40 disadvantaged teens & young adults in a high density environment, that there will be no noise, they will be all well behaved, they won't have cars.... all sounds like a Disney movie?

Anyway, we are looking for more support. If you agree , feel free to sign.

https://www.change.org/p/donna-larsen-townsville-youth-foyer

PS.  The Logan Youth Foyer and others around the country seem squeaky clean - nobody has any bad reports. This seems rather too good to be true. Off the record conversations with law enforcement would indicate that smaller facilities than this one are not easy to manage and do have problems. If anyone has any real world stories about these Youth Foyers, please PM me.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
what exactly is a Youth Foyer??
gathering place for scrotes?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tomo

• Soft Floor Camper User
Hi
There were other youth hostels around Townsville .People coming and going although there suppose to be supervision and curfew . Violence within and drug taking still happen . This situation was run by a different organisation

Having troubled youth accommodation should not be in the burbs . Having a building so tall next to a domestic dwelling will be guaranteed to effect the price of the house . There is examples of this in south Townsville .

In my own street a certain house was visited all weekends between 20--50 people . The street and cars were always vandalised .
Took years for these youth to be evicted .

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • My website
what exactly is a Youth Foyer??
gathering place for scrotes?
Supposed to be providing cheap public housing for disadvantaged youth who are at risk of homelessness. Eg can't afford rentals, couch surfing, kicked out of home. Supposedly they will have jobs or be studying.  Supported on site 24/7 by Mission Australia.
Sounds good and rosy until you start thinking through the practical logistics of 40 of them in close quarters.
Have these people not ever lived with teenagers?
They will not rule out that some may come out of Cleveland detention centre. Hooray!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Rumpig

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • My website
Hi
There were other youth hostels around Townsville .People coming and going although there suppose to be supervision and curfew . Violence within and drug taking still happen . This situation was run by a different organisation

Having troubled youth accommodation should not be in the burbs . Having a building so tall next to a domestic dwelling will be guaranteed to effect the price of the house . There is examples of this in south Townsville .

In my own street a certain house was visited all weekends between 20--50 people . The street and cars were always vandalised .
Took years for these youth to be evicted .
Thanks Tomo.
Are you able to PM me the addresses of those hostels/houses? We might be able to track past history.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
Quote from: MattNQ
They will not rule out that some may come out of Cleveland detention centre. Hooray!

land value now = $0 inc GST
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • My website
Well we had a win! State govt backed down and the 5 storey monstrosity will be built in a more appropriate location.

Suspect Labor's federal loss of Herbert has put the wind up the three sitting state Labor members here.

The blocks behind will still be public housing. But will be two storey townhouses

Hoping the tenants will be reasonably civilised and not out on parole.

At least if we decide sell now, there won't be 5 storeys looming behind to scare buyers off.

My wife was driving force behind this win. It seems  her stubborness and persistence are good qualities on occasions. .....

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
Wishful thinking for all being not on parole in public housing....the government was nice enough to put a murdering pedo in a house around the corner from us,  right by a childcare centre and on a thoroughfare road for local primary school a few hundred metres away that had plenty of small kids walking past him daily...the government are thoughtful like that.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
Quote from: Rumpig
Wishful thinking for all being not on parole in public housing....the government was nice enough to put a murdering pedo in a house around the corner from us,  right by a childcare centre and on a thoroughfare road for local primary school a few hundred metres away that had plenty of small kids walking past him daily...the government are thoughtful like that.

Thats beyond ****ed up... I guess anywhere thats not near themselves...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
Well we had a win! State govt backed down and the 5 storey monstrosity will be built in a more appropriate location.

Suspect Labor's federal loss of Herbert has put the wind up the three sitting state Labor members here.

The blocks behind will still be public housing. But will be two storey townhouses

Hoping the tenants will be reasonably civilised and not out on parole.

At least if we decide sell now, there won't be 5 storeys looming behind to scare buyers off.

My wife was driving force behind this win. It seems  her stubborness and persistence are good qualities on occasions. .....

Start Advertising.

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
Would think that all those that support and push for this would in now way want it built at their back fence. When it would directly affect them I'm  sure it would not be considered, at all.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
he was quickly run out of the suburb once people realised who he was (Robert Fardon), but where is he now?....and more importantly, how many other lowlifes just like him are living amongst us all that we are clueless about? It's better not to think about such things really I guess.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • My website
Might need a few public housing blocks for pedos and other parolees in the affluent suburbs where the judges and pollies live. Wonder how much sentencing and parole decisions would change then...

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • My website

Would think that all those that support and push for this would in now way want it built at their back fence. When it would directly affect them I'm  sure it would not be considered, at all.

Yep. Had some bleeding hearts complaining that the kids now have nowhere to go and residents were being selfish objecting to it.  Funny that they were not even from our suburb, let alone our streets.

We and the council nominated at least 6 other locations that were more appropriate. The project will still happen, but hopefully the govt will select a more suitable location.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
Might need a few public housing blocks for pedos and other parolees in the affluent suburbs where the judges and pollies live.
Much easier and more fun - I recommend feeding them here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ-7N67eTiE
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home