Poll

Was/Is your experience?

Great
Good
So so
Poor
Pulling teeth was a better experience

Author Topic: NBN. What is your experience so far.  (Read 127648 times)

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: NBN. What is your experience so far.
« Reply #150 on: February 22, 2018, 06:24:14 PM »
Not NBN, but recently got Optus cable installed on the 30mbps plan. Was getting less than 5mbps most of the time so I rang up and told them I wanted to cancel the plan and I’d try Telstra. So they offered to upgrade me to the 100mbps plan free of charge and said if that wasn’t good enough I could get out of the contract without penalty.  So now I get up to 70mbps at most, but most of the time it is still less than 30mbps. So now I am basically getting almost what I paid for.

With 5g mobile in the pipeline, anything other than FTTP will likely be redundant within a few years anyway.

Offline Jon Burrell - Tentworld

• Tent User
    • Tentworld - Shop Online or In-Store
« Reply #151 on: February 22, 2018, 08:00:25 PM »
Just did this on my Telstra wireless broadband :

Ping 35ms
Download 6.82Mbs
Upload 1.18Mbs

They tell me I can access Satellite NBN and by the end of 2020 I may be able to access FTTN or even may be able access FTTP at my expense.
My neighbour has satellite NBN, and he is really happy with it. However at 250M away from him (admittedly slightly downhill), his providers tells me that they cannot support me!!!!

The joys of living 5.5Km from a regional town.

If you can see your neighbours house,  talk to him nicely about installing this on his roof and install one on yours too.  I've used this in the past and it's exceptional.  Just needs direct line of sight.

https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/site/ubiquiti-nanobridge-m-point-point-wifi-bridge
Happy Camping! 

Browse our range, and shop online at:
https://www.tentworld.com.au/
Find your local Tentworld Camping Store at: 
https://www.tentworld.com.au/camping-stores

Offline OldPaj

• Tent User
« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2018, 08:21:56 PM »
If you can see your neighbours house,  talk to him nicely about installing this on his roof and install one on yours too.  I've used this in the past and it's exceptional.  Just needs direct line of sight.

https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/site/ubiquiti-nanobridge-m-point-point-wifi-bridge

That seems like a certain possibility, I would wonder whose account my usage would be on! The other thing is I would need to cut a path through his olive grove so I could actually see his house.

Offline markg66

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • yippee ki yay MF
    • Murrumba Pistol Club Inc
« Reply #153 on: February 24, 2018, 09:36:09 PM »
Was supposed to be connected on the 1st of July 2017............., prepaid on a 100MB unlimited plan, selected email address etc, iinet set up the new NBN account etc (we are already with them). The hardware install never happened in our area for some reason no one will tell us about and we are still waiting. Williamson Rd, Morayfield, Qld.
Jayco 2000 Eagle Outback.
If it isn't 50% off it aint a discount.

Offline Rick1970

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #154 on: February 25, 2018, 08:11:43 AM »
We have had NBN for a few years now, 1st on their intrim sat serice, now on the new sat service. While speeds are not as fast as you can get in town, its a lot better the the dial up (28kb max speed i seen) that was the only option before that. Now if i could only get mobile coverage here........

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #155 on: February 25, 2018, 10:20:16 AM »
We have had NBN for a few years now, 1st on their intrim sat serice, now on the new sat service. While speeds are not as fast as you can get in town, its a lot better the the dial up (28kb max speed i seen) that was the only option before that. Now if i could only get mobile coverage here........
If you have internet you might be able to use the call over wifi function in your phone. I’ve got an iPhone on Optus mobile and when I am home it switches to using the internet to make calls. Obviously doesn’t help if your not in range of your home internet wifi though.

Offline Rick1970

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #156 on: February 25, 2018, 03:09:43 PM »
If you have internet you might be able to use the call over wifi function in your phone. I’ve got an iPhone on Optus mobile and when I am home it switches to using the internet to make calls. Obviously doesn’t help if your not in range of your home internet wifi though.

I tried that.....didn't work.
May well have been operator error tho  ;D

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2018, 03:55:18 PM »
That seems like a certain possibility, I would wonder whose account my usage would be on! The other thing is I would need to cut a path through his olive grove so I could actually see his house.

it would be your neighbour's account, as that's the only account that would be in use...

you, with this equipment, would be effectively just another 'wifi' device 'in his house', but not really... :)

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #158 on: February 26, 2018, 12:20:00 PM »
Interesting news;
https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/more-than-850-000-homes-to-get-nbn-speed-upgrade-20180223-p4z1hi.html

Considering that our area is not even on the roll out map, and the fact that I have 2km of copper cable between the exchange and my house, I had no intentions of getting anything other then the lowest speed plan (knowing that I’ll never get any more than the lowest possible speeds over the network).
But if they’re going to hand out higher speed contracts for the lower speed price, I guess I’d take it. Though I’m not holding my breath waiting to see us added to the roll out map.

And I only just found out my distance from the exchange on Friday when I was on the phone with BigPond for almost 2 hours trying to resolve my ADSL2+ speeds of 0.1mb/s Down and 0.5mb/s Up.
Knowing that NBN is going to go through those same copper cables, I’m excited... ::)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #159 on: February 26, 2018, 12:39:50 PM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Jon Burrell - Tentworld

• Tent User
    • Tentworld - Shop Online or In-Store
« Reply #160 on: February 26, 2018, 08:03:14 PM »

The dishes only need to see each other. So if you put it on the roof it might see over. Or you could run cable out in front of those trees.  To save you the trimming, but then you might need to consider burying the cable.

Regarding the internet.  I am not familiar with what Fixed Wireless can do, and I couldnt find the answer googling just now.  I know that FTTP allows you to have 4x different internet connections through the same cable, but I am not as confident about what Fixed Wireless NBN can do. 

It does appear to allow for more than one connection,  so that means you can organise and pay for your own connection at your neighbours house and they can have their own too.

That is,  if this article can be trusted! 
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2485516 

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 08:05:47 PM by Jon Burrell - Tentworld »
Happy Camping! 

Browse our range, and shop online at:
https://www.tentworld.com.au/
Find your local Tentworld Camping Store at: 
https://www.tentworld.com.au/camping-stores

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #161 on: February 26, 2018, 08:32:40 PM »
The dishes only need to see each other. So if you put it on the roof it might see over. Or you could run cable out in front of those trees.  To save you the trimming, but then you might need to consider burying the cable.

Regarding the internet.  I am not familiar with what Fixed Wireless can do, and I couldnt find the answer googling just now.  I know that FTTP allows you to have 4x different internet connections through the same cable, but I am not as confident about what Fixed Wireless NBN can do. 

It does appear to allow for more than one connection,  so that means you can organise and pay for your own connection at your neighbours house and they can have their own too.

That is,  if this article can be trusted! 
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2485516

depends on a few different variables...  that's why i talked about it as if you were using your neighbour's account...

having a separate connection in another person's home could get messy... depending on the relationship...

i would have a go at getting your own connection, using your neighbour's successful setup as a basis for your enquiry...

mobile data is becoming cheaper, depending on provider and signal strength... maybe that is an option, depending on your intended usage?

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #162 on: February 28, 2018, 04:50:02 PM »
So, just received an email from TPG who are my internet service provider.

You are entitled to a refund and a costless exit from your NBN contract

We are writing to inform you that we have checked your National Broadband Network (NBN) connection and found that you cannot receive the internet speeds you have been paying for. We have entered into an undertaking with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) to offer you a refund because we are likely to have breached the Australian Consumer Law. As a result, we are offering you a choice of three options below, including a refund of $160.

You are currently paying for a Superfast plan which has maximum speeds of 100Mbps download and 40Mbps upload.

The maximum speeds you can actually receive are 62.407Mbps download and 36.062Mbps upload.

This means that you are paying for speeds of up to 100Mbps download and 40Mbps upload, when the fastest speeds you can actually receive are 62.407Mbps download and 36.062Mbps upload

It goes on to explain that I can (without penalty) change to the 'fast' plan which has a 50Mbps limit without penalty, and receive the $160 refund (which I assume will be in the form of a credit against future monthly charges). Considering the fastest I've ever seen the connection is in the low 50s, that seems like the smart thing to do.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #163 on: February 28, 2018, 07:43:28 PM »
So, just received an email from TPG who are my internet service provider.

You are entitled to a refund and a costless exit from your NBN contract

We are writing to inform you that we have checked your National Broadband Network (NBN) connection and found that you cannot receive the internet speeds you have been paying for. We have entered into an undertaking with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) to offer you a refund because we are likely to have breached the Australian Consumer Law. As a result, we are offering you a choice of three options below, including a refund of $160.

You are currently paying for a Superfast plan which has maximum speeds of 100Mbps download and 40Mbps upload.

The maximum speeds you can actually receive are 62.407Mbps download and 36.062Mbps upload.

This means that you are paying for speeds of up to 100Mbps download and 40Mbps upload, when the fastest speeds you can actually receive are 62.407Mbps download and 36.062Mbps upload

It goes on to explain that I can (without penalty) change to the 'fast' plan which has a 50Mbps limit without penalty, and receive the $160 refund (which I assume will be in the form of a credit against future monthly charges). Considering the fastest I've ever seen the connection is in the low 50s, that seems like the smart thing to do.
Except when you drop to the 50Mbps plan, you will probably actually achieve much less. I'd ask them for the $160 refund and let you stay on the Superfast Plan at no extra cost. Otherwise see what other providers can offer (you should be entitled to a cash refund).  The only provider, in my recent experience, who won't negotiate on price/speeds these days is telstra.

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #164 on: March 01, 2018, 10:27:50 AM »
Except when you drop to the 50Mbps plan, you will probably actually achieve much less. I'd ask them for the $160 refund and let you stay on the Superfast Plan at no extra cost. Otherwise see what other providers can offer (you should be entitled to a cash refund).  The only provider, in my recent experience, who won't negotiate on price/speeds these days is telstra.

I highly doubt I will receive 'much less'. If they throttle it to less than 40 to 50 (which is all I ever get anyway), they will be running foul of the ACCC ruling (which is why they are offering the refund and the change of plan).
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #165 on: March 08, 2018, 10:30:12 AM »
just migrated the oldie's NBN fixed wireless service from iinet to aussie broadband...

not a bad result on a 50/20 plan... :)  (pretty constant speeds, even during peak periods)

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #166 on: March 13, 2018, 03:53:33 PM »
Update on my change from the 100Mbps to 50Mbps plan. My download speeds have not changed (still generally between high 30s and high 40s), and my upload has reduced from around 30 to just under 20.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 03:57:33 PM by Merts »

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #167 on: March 14, 2018, 06:48:29 AM »
We are getting closer to having the NBN available and the junk mail has already started to arrive. Very keen to get us to sign up before the time but in the small print don't guarantee when connection will occur or what speed we will be able to achieve. Maybe I am missing something but why would you sign up for a plan size when they don't even know what speeds you can get  ???

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #168 on: March 14, 2018, 07:32:39 AM »
We are getting closer to having the NBN available and the junk mail has already started to arrive. Very keen to get us to sign up before the time but in the small print don't guarantee when connection will occur or what speed we will be able to achieve. Maybe I am missing something but why would you sign up for a plan size when they don't even know what speeds you can get  ???
because many people never know exactly what they are getting but want the latest and “greatest” of everything available to them to keep up with the Jone’s....can’t be seen to be missing out now.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #169 on: March 14, 2018, 07:41:32 AM »

whilst no-one can 'guarantee' a speed, most reputable ISP's will be able to at least give you a rough estimate of what speeds you might be able to achieve, depending on location, distance from node, etc...

and these reputable ISP's will normally also offer free plan changes, if you decide to upgrade or downgrade...

you/they have to start somewhere...  considering the standard baseline plan is fast becoming the 50/20 plan, this is normally a good starting point...

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2018, 12:50:16 PM »
because many people never know exactly what they are getting but want the latest and “greatest” of everything available to them to keep up with the Jone’s....can’t be seen to be missing out now.
Probably right mate. Not sure I have ever bignoted anywhere about what internet speed I have signed up for. Different world I suppose

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #171 on: March 14, 2018, 12:52:36 PM »
whilst no-one can 'guarantee' a speed, most reputable ISP's will be able to at least give you a rough estimate of what speeds you might be able to achieve, depending on location, distance from node, etc...

and these reputable ISP's will normally also offer free plan changes, if you decide to upgrade or downgrade...

you/they have to start somewhere...  considering the standard baseline plan is fast becoming the 50/20 plan, this is normally a good starting point...

Thanks for the tip. I reckon it's probably easier to start lower and then upgrade if needed. Don't imagine too many would try to charge you for going to a more expensive plan however I wonder if there would be more ready to hit you if you downgraded.

The start of the journey let's see where it leads us

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #172 on: April 06, 2018, 04:23:29 PM »
Just been advised that my NBN connection date has been changed: From April 27 to August 3.

The advice is that  NBN Co says "more infrastructure" is needed.

The green box has been around the corner for months.

And now they find out that more work is needed.

Why am I not surprised?   

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #173 on: April 18, 2018, 12:16:14 PM »
So my contract is up and its time to change. I've changed most important people to my Gmail now, so email address is not that important anymore.

With Optus and have been for 10-15yrs, and never really had any service issues. Their cable service was great, better than NBN :( I'd be happy to stay depending on what they offer me when I call... but I never seem to have success bargaining with miracle offers others seem to get :( I always get the new staff member sticking to the script, even when I threaten to leave. :'(

But it Shits me with Optus its cheaper to get their BUNDLES - than just their internet.
I have the Entertainment pack now, which inc a home phone, and Fetch, which I turned on for about 1 hour and chucked in the bin, it was ****in woeful! And never plugged a phone in... so not using, why should I pay for it.

Currently payin 95/mth for the 25 plan at moment :-[ only cause it was early days of NBN bend over plans when I signed up.

But after hearing good things about TPG - Im looking at the TPG offerings, I can save nearly 30/mth and double my speed (NBN50 plan).
https://www.tpg.com.au/nbn

Anyone with TPG?? Good/bad/Ugly?
I hear their service and speed is fine, but their support leaves a lot to be desired?
EG: If you need a service call they expect you to pay up front, and if it IS their fault they then refund you. ??? I've never heard of from ISP's and think thats ****ed.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #174 on: April 18, 2018, 12:26:13 PM »
Anyone with TPG?? Good/bad/Ugly?
I hear their service and speed is fine, but their support leaves a lot to be desired?
EG: If you need a service call they expect you to pay up front, and if it IS their fault they then refund you. ??? I've never heard of from ISP's and think thats ****ed.

wouldn't touch them with a 50 foot pole... service, speed and overall management is s**t, IMO...

i moved from iinet (tpg sub now) to aussie broadband and haven't looked back...

no peak hour slowness, totally transparent company who actually publish their CVC graphs (link below) so you can see how they are performing:

https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/cvc-graphs/

they don't over-subscribe their links and have a policy of leaving a decent percentage free to allow for spikes in traffic...

in your case, bird, $79 per month gets you a 50mb plan, unlimited data...

https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/residential/residential-internet/nbn/

aussie-based support as well...

hard to go past...  i'm on a 100mb FTTN plan, am about 500m from the node and get a rock solid 68-70mb any time of the day or night...

oldies are on a fixed wireless 50mb plan and get 46-48mb any time...