Author Topic: Drones in Suburbia  (Read 36651 times)

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Drones in Suburbia
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2015, 09:36:56 AM »
Marschy

I have no problem with RC anything & don't regard drone fliers as perverts (well, as a general rule anyway  :D) but as Robbo put it: "Just had a drone in our front yard at about roof height."

Do you, as a drone owner, often buzz your neighbour's yard at roof height? I'm fairly certain that no you wouldn't, same as licensed shooters don't shoot up the neighbourhood. Same as everything, problems are caused by irresponsible people who don't care about doing the right thing   >:(

There's a big park just round the corner from us & there's often people there with drones / RC aircraft & we often stop & watch them buzzing around cause it looks like (bloody expensive  :D) fun.

But if we had one frequently buzzing low round our house, I'd start by complaining to whoever & if nothing was done, I'd "investigate" further options  :police:

The cast net idea sounds best  >:D

Graeme
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Marschy

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2015, 09:43:08 AM »
it was in his front yard...
Good way for scrotes to see if people are home or not, and how their home security is setup, what expensive goodies are in their back yard without being locked up etc without said scrote even leaving their front porch...
FFS, now we are scrotes as well. Did it ever occur to you to check you manners at the door before you push the 'Post' button?

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2015, 09:48:20 AM »
I have a drone but even I would not be happy to see one outside my house. 

I'd be going for a walk to see if I could find the operator.  They wouldn't be too far away.  If they have a camera and can see you even pointing a hose at their craft, I reckon they would bug off pretty quickly.

Look...it could be as innocent as some kid with a new toy or it could be someone with more sinister intentions.  Either way it shouldn't be there and I would try to talk to the owner reasonably to find out what the go is and to recommend quite strongly that what they are doing is against the law.

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2015, 10:17:14 AM »
Quote from: Marschy
FFS, now we are scrotes as well. Did it ever occur to you to check you manners at the door before you push the 'Post' button?

So your a criminal trying to view peoples places without them knowing it so you can rob them??
No didn't think so...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

time

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2015, 10:33:48 AM »
... so I have a camera and I wonder around your house taking pics, in your back yard, on to your roof, through your open windows ......  that should be OK?

I think someone in this thread douth protest too much .....
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 10:35:57 AM by time »

Marschy

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2015, 10:53:13 AM »
... so I have a camera and I wonder around your house taking pics, in your back yard, on to your roof, through your open windows ......  that should be OK?

I think someone in this thread douth protest too much .....
Where was there any suggestion that this 'drone' has a camera. I think someone in this thread assumes too much. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't, But like I said before, if someone want's to take photos through open windows, they don't need a drone to do it. Have you heard how much noise a quadcopter makes? People that are inclined to peek through peoples windows will do it whether they have a 'drone' or not. But the assumption is in this thread is, "oh there is a 'drone' out the front of my house, they must be up to no good, I must destroy it" and then other people jumping on the band wagon suggesting ways you could do it, well, I find that more disturbing than someone flying a drone out the front of my house.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2015, 11:07:22 AM »
and then other people jumping on the band wagon suggesting ways you could do it, well, I find that more disturbing than someone flying a drone out the front of my house.
that's cause your a Drone fan... most of us couldn't give a Shit about them and see it with both eyes open.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Marschy

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2015, 11:12:18 AM »
that's cause your a Drone fan... most of us couldn't give a Shit about them and see it with both eyes open.
Nope, not a fan of 'drones' at all. I'm a fan of aerial videography and photography using quadcopters, not peeping through peoples windows. So because your not a fan we have to listen to this drivel, educate yourself on people who use drones and stop acting like a sheep.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2015, 11:31:03 AM »
. So because your not a fan we have to listen to this drivel, educate yourself on people who use drones and stop acting like a sheep.
so cause your a fan of aerial videography and photography using quadcopters that means nobody could be using them for criminal activity?

Maybe you should read into the peoples concerns... that be 'I'd be looking for the owner and having words'.. or 'I'd shoot the **** out of the sky'... they point to the same concerns...

Because you don't break the law with them (and reading the drone thread, you seem to know this Shit inside out), doesn't mean Shit loads of others haven't cottoned onto it (then again most crim's probably wouldn't have the IQ to work out how it all works or be ).
It also doesn't mean that in this case it was an illegal gig happening, but it may well have been.

YMMV...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2015, 11:33:24 AM »
Nope, not a fan of 'drones' at all. I'm a fan of aerial videography and photography using quadcopters, not peeping through peoples windows. So because your not a fan we have to listen to this drivel, educate yourself on people who use drones and stop acting like a sheep.
People in here are complaining about a drone in the FRONT YARD. If one turns up out the front of my place, expect me it to get anything at hand to throw at it and knock it down.

No one is bitching about what you do - except you.

I think you need to read between the lines here - people do not like them, and are very suspicious of people using them anywhere near them. Maybe you don't in which you have nothing to worry about - but if they are around people's property expect them to take a dim view.
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

A man must believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer.

Marschy

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2015, 11:34:19 AM »
so cause your a fan of aerial videography and photography using quadcopters that means nobody could be using them for criminal activity?

Maybe you should read into the peoples concerns... that be 'I'd be looking for the owner and having words'.. or 'I'd shoot the **** out of the sky'... they point to the same concerns...

Because you don't break the law with them (and reading the drone thread, you seem to know this Shit inside out), doesn't mean Shit loads of others haven't cottoned onto it (then again most crim's probably wouldn't have the IQ to work out how it all works or be ).
It also doesn't mean that in this case it was an illegal gig happening, but it may well have been.

YMMV...
Using that analogy, I could assume that because you like taking photos of models that you are a pervert, but then again I could be wrong, but your avatar suggests not.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2015, 11:53:27 AM »
People in here are complaining about a drone in the FRONT YARD. If one turns up out the front of my place, expect me it to get anything at hand to throw at it and knock it down.

No one is bitching about what you do - except you.

I think you need to read between the lines here - people do not like them, and are very suspicious of people using them anywhere near them. Maybe you don't in which you have nothing to worry about - but if they are around people's property expect them to take a dim view.
Save your breath.. all drone users are angels and there is no way possible that anybody on earth could use them for criminal activity.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 11:55:46 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Marschy

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2015, 12:21:58 PM »
Save your breath.. all drone users are angels and there is no way possible that anybody on earth could use them for criminal activity.

Nope, it's more a case of, some people are 'glass half full', others are 'glass half empty'. It's great when you can whip people up by using BS analogies and assuming the worst, but then again the OP could have gone out and found out why the 'drone' was in his front yard, but he didn't.

I and others on the quadcopter thread are well aware of the opposition to quadcopters, unfortunately threads like this don't help. We are also aware of people using quadcopters for illegal activities, but so do the drivers of cars, users of computers and users of cameras on phones. But the use of quadcopters seems to draw negative views far out of proportion to the amount of illegal use that has been reported. This is because the word 'drone' has been linked to quadcopters. As of this minute I am not aware of any quadcopter delivering a lethal payload.

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2015, 12:38:00 PM »
Marschy, I think you are taking this a bit personal mate!  I own a patrol, doesn't make me a bogan like other patrol own....  Ok bad example.
But, have a read back, and the only person that has said all drone owners are perverts and crim's is you. Nobody at all said that and you seem to have taken it a bit personal and loaded the gun for everyone to keep firing shots.

I have no problems with drones or their owners, but if I found one hovering in my yard a would be asking questions.
Maybe robbo is hot? Have you met him? 
Lol
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Marschy

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2015, 12:41:52 PM »
Marschy, I think you are taking this a bit personal mate!  I own a patrol, doesn't make me a bogan like other patrol own....  Ok bad example.
But, have a read back, and the only person that has said all drone owners are perverts and crim's is you. Nobody at all said that and you seem to have taken it a bit personal and loaded the gun for everyone to keep firing shots.

I have no problems with drones or their owners, but if I found one hovering in my yard a would be asking questions.
Maybe robbo is hot? Have you met him? 
Lol
I'm not taking this personally at all. No-one has asked the OP what he did to find out why the quad was in his front yard, everyone has assumed the worst. I find that this is just a sign of the times. If you want to whip up a lynch mob, just ask a few individuals on this forum and they are happy to oblige.

And I beg to differ, the implication is there for anyone to read, checking out the security, invading privacy. Those are comments made by others, not me.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 12:48:01 PM by Marschy »

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2015, 12:51:54 PM »
If I had a drone with a camera hovering very close to my house the first think I would do is I walk up and down the street to see if I knew who was operating it as it could be a neighbour with a new toy. (Maybe I could have a turn as I know all my neighbours and we all get along well)  If that didn’t work and couldn’t find the operator I would get out white board out and write politely to move away. So if they did have a camera then they could see and read it.

Then if that didn’t work then the fishing rod comes out.
The following users thanked this post: Green rv

Offline woftam

• Tent User
  • Conanti dabitur
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2015, 01:07:51 PM »
If I had a drone/quad copter/remotely controlled device (camera or no camera) in my front yard I’d want it gone.
Why ? Simply because it’s my front yard. I have the, probably naive, belief that I have some sort of say in who/what enters my property outside of those who have legal access (meter readers etc).
I would react to it as I would to someone’s dog entering my front yard. The reason it’s there is utterly benign but it’s my front yard and I don’t want it there. So I look for the owner to ask them to remove it. If I can’t find the owner then I chase it off the property or catch it and take it to the pound.
In the case of a quad copter chasing it off may be a little more problematical. The same as I wouldn’t deliberately injure a dog I wouldn’t necessarily intentionally damage the device. However I would assume with either line of sight or FPV the operator could see me getting the Karcher ready and test firing off to the side to make sure I had sufficient range. If this doesn’t cause it to be moved along then I would attempt to bring it down and then off to the copshop.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
-Dr. Seuss

Offline robbo1172

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go...
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2015, 01:11:43 PM »
Oops, look what I've started

Yes it had a camera.

Yes I'm hot.

Yes there's a park at the end of our street 100m away they can fly it in.

We have a staffy in our back yard and they are being pinched from around here for dog fights.

I walked out the front yard and thought "what's that noise?" and it was a drone literally 8 to 10 metres from me at gutter level. As soon as I walked out it legged it...

Like anything 99% of the time it's all above board and good fun, but should I wait until my dogs gone or my CT (which I park out the back out of sight) until I do something about it?

Hopefully it's a one off but I will be keeping my eyes open...

Robbo...

rockfactor.com.au
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Ghandi

http://www.rockfactor.com.au

https://www.facebook.com/rockfactorduo

UIZ733

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2015, 01:20:49 PM »
If you want to whip up a lynch mob, just ask a few individuals on this forum and they are happy to oblige.

I am not part of any mob Lynch sponsored by here or anywhere else, and resent the suggested of being implicated in this kind of scenario. However if there is a drone in my space, that I consider a threat, I reserve the right to deal with it as Frank Sinatra has, 'My Way'.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2015, 01:22:45 PM »
Quote from: robbo1172
... and it was a drone literally 8 to 10 metres from me at gutter level. As soon as I walked out it legged it...

yea sounds totally innocent to me... move on, nothing to see here. It was the local Mormons looking for front doors.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2015, 01:50:40 PM »
Knock it out the sky and call the cops. The owner can speak to them when they come to pick it up - its illegal to fly that close to property - CASA regs:

?You may NOT fly closer than 30m to vehicles, boats, buildings that are not on YOUR private property or you must have explicit permission from the private property owner.
?You are NOT allowed to fly over any populated areas such as beaches, other people’s backyards, heavily populated parks or sports ovals where there is a game on.
?You may NOT operate within a RADIUS of 5.5km of any aerodrome, airfield, airport, seaplanes taking off or landing, helicopter landing sites which may be located at hospitals, police stations or other locations that you may not be aware of. It is YOUR responsibility to find out where they are and ignorance is no defense in the court of law.
?You may ONLY operate during DAYLIGHT – NO night flying! Only in good weather and you MUST be in visual-line-of-site of the Remotely Piloted Aircraft – RPA.
?You may NOT fly above 400ft (123m)
?You may NOT fly FPV !!

This guy got an $850 fine:
http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/qld-man-first-in-australia-to-be-fined-for-flying-a-drone/story-fnda1lbo-1227196644698

I've got no time for idiots who break the rules.  If the drone hits someone it can cause some serious damage. If one hit one of my kids in the garden I'd sue the arse off them.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 01:57:00 PM by tk421 »
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline robbo1172

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go...
Drones in Suburbia
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2015, 01:59:26 PM »
Unfortunately the local cops here are a bunch of toothless tigers. I've called them half a dozen times about a bloke around the corner doing burn outs in our street. They would turn up four hours later and say he's not home and unless they caught him in the act there is nothing they could do about it anyway. I then asked them if I smashed every window in his car with a cricket bat and they weren't there to see it was there anything they could do. They threatened to arrest me... It is the age of entitlement after all. People are entitled to chuck skids out the front of our house. People are entitled to ride unregistered dirt bikes up and down our street while miss 16 months tries to sleep. People are entitled to peer in our yards with high tech gadgets. The only thing we aren't entitled to is a peaceful, quite life in suburbia. Maybe one day I'll win lotto (maybe I should start buying tickets ;)) and move to the country.

Robbo...

rockfactor.com.au
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Ghandi

http://www.rockfactor.com.au

https://www.facebook.com/rockfactorduo

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2015, 02:13:23 PM »
Marschy, I think you are taking this a bit personal mate!  I own a patrol, doesn't make me a bogan like other patrol own....

Um....Yes it does  >:D

swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2015, 02:14:55 PM »
Look I understand Birds concerns... if I was him I would be worried that a photo or video would get taken of him in his own home...He gets up to some weird s$%t

Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2015, 02:16:25 PM »
Quote from: swannie
Look I understand Birds concerns... if I was him I would be worried that a photo or video would get taken of him in his own home...He gets up to some weird s$%t

Swannie
wheres the love.. actually, wheres me drone... I can watch you at the office from here....  :cup: :police: :police: :cup:
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home