Author Topic: Superiority Complex with 4WD's  (Read 39562 times)

champin

Re: Superiority Complex with 4WD's
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2014, 12:22:20 PM »
can't say I'm particularly brand specific. I think budget drives my buying options hence the recent purchase of a new Triton. I like to research the vehicles in my short list and choose the one best suited to my needs. I am aware of the Tritons shortfalls in their chassis strength so I will pack it and drive it accordingly. At the end of the day I have a sub $35k 4wd that gets me to where I want to go. Ultimately I would love a fully kitted out 200 series but alas, my budget doesn't match my desires.
 So I suppose what I am trying to say is, does it really matter what car you drive? Isn't it more important to follow your dreams?

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 12:30:15 PM »
I'm not brand loyal at all I just drive the best ;)
It's like if there's a footy game on and everyone in the room is going for one team, I'll back the other just for a bit of fun.

Sent from the machine that goes..... Bing!

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 12:31:17 PM »
Not at all a particular brand 'snob' when it comes to 4x4's, but vehicles in general, absolutely ;D

I own a Hilux, last car was a Hilux too. Next one probably will be also. Simply because I wear them out. My entire driveline comes out of one, into the next victim, then it's destroyed on the beach. If my little engine, gearbox and diffs would bolt into another breed of dual cab, then that's what I'd buy. But it doesn't.
To me, my Hilux is a Shitbox that gets me to and from work, but most importantly, up and down the beach with out effort or problems. Its a nothing car.

But, show me a car with round headlights and two chrome bumpers, and you have my attention.  Especially if it's of 60's vintage.  :-* Doesn't matter if it's GM, Ford or Chrysler, they're all beautiful.  ;D

As for 4x4's, meh, they're just things to get you up and down the beach. They've got no soul  >:D

Shane.

With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2014, 12:34:33 PM »
I'm not brand loyal at all I just drive the best ;)

Sold the Prado??  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lets go Camping......!!!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2014, 12:49:32 PM »
I prefer the right tool for the job :)

That's why I bought the Patrol....... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Swanny

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2014, 12:51:08 PM »
About 6 years ago I started looking for a replacement of my Rodeo and I wanted a full size wagon with live suspension. So for me it came down to the 100 series Cruiser or Patrol.

At the time any decent 4.2 TD Patrol were rare and overpriced, and I didn’t like how Nissan put their head in the sand about problems the early model 3L motors were having.  (From what I read, unless you were the first owner who always had the car serviced at Nissan and didn’t have any accessories/modifications, then they would discuss options to rebuild your motor) If not, then you were own your own.

So for me seeing I was buying second hand, I staged my own silent protest against Nissan and bought the Cruiser.

Is the Cruiser any better off-road than the Patrol, No as I think they are equal.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2014, 12:51:24 PM »
The stats don't lie, over 30% of members have the right brand :)

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=1237
Toyota Landcruiser   318 (16.2%)
Nissan Patrol           308 (15.7%)
Toyota Prado           280 (14.3%)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 12:53:11 PM by D4D »
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lets go Camping......!!!!!!!
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2014, 12:57:28 PM »

It could also prove that there are people out there that are not real smart..... ;D ;D ;D...hahaha, no ur right numbers don't lie, we all know that..

Banter, just banter.

Swanny

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2014, 01:11:56 PM »
It could also prove that there are people out there that are not real smart..... ;D ;D ;D...hahaha, no ur right numbers don't lie, we all know that..

Banter, just banter.

Swanny

Like sheep Ill tells ya ;D
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2014, 01:45:33 PM »

Total Toyota             598

598 actually represents 4% of the members have a Toyota   ;D

4% of 15000 members equals 600

I am not a numbers man because you can read into statistics what ever you want them to do .   :cheers:
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2014, 01:50:29 PM »
At the end of the day the PATROL is the best 4WD vehicle that is available to buy in Australia.
It's the toughest, reliable,  fairly easy to fix by most mechanics, tons of aftermarket parts to make it better, most capable, big enough and the toughest looking.
Could do with a bit more power, but that can be done wit a few mods.
I've driven Most brands of 4wd offroad and patrol and cruiser are by far the most stable platform. The others are pretty capable too, they just dont feel as solid and surefooted and need more punishment to get down the track which leads to premature damage and ultimately vehicle failure.
But where each has its shortfalls, it also has its strengths. (Usually onroad manners)
For most though, any proper 4wd will meet their needs, it just depends on how you use it and where you plan to take it.
GU Patrol. Lifted Locked and Boosted
 Johnnos offroad deluxe -SOLD
 Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline komaterpillar

• Tent User
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2014, 01:55:37 PM »
At the end of the day the PATROL is the best 4WD vehicle that is available to buy in Australia.
It's the toughest, reliable,  fairly easy to fix by most mechanics, tons of aftermarket parts to make it better, most capable, big enough and the toughest looking.
Could do with a bit more power, but that can be done wit a few mods.
I've driven Most brands of 4wd offroad and patrol and cruiser are by far the most stable platform. The others are pretty capable too, they just dont feel as solid and surefooted and need more punishment to get down the track which leads to premature damage and ultimately vehicle failure.
But where each has its shortfalls, it also has its strengths. (Usually onroad manners)
For most though, any proper 4wd will meet their needs, it just depends on how you use it and where you plan to take it.

yep sounds like the best 4wd needs a LOT of improving to get it up to scratch....  COOOOL
ALL THE GEAR, NO IDEA  ;D

The British Tug

The Chinese Trailer

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2014, 02:09:47 PM »

you forgot to preface your opening sentence with, 'in my opinion'...

exactly the type of attitude that the OP was referring to...

i am sure some landcruiser, defender, discovery and other vehicle owners would disagree.

the sentiment of this thread (which i agree with) is that you should buy what you feel comfortable buying, in regards to usage requirements, aesthetic appeal and budget...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 02:17:34 PM by paceman »

Online austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2014, 02:20:09 PM »
Hi,
  I did lots of research which I condensed to the page in this link.

It was a no-brainer for what I wanted.

cheers

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2014, 02:21:35 PM »
I'd have a 200 cruiser if I didnt really want to go 4wding anywhere very challenging anymore because they're a bloody nice towncar. Same goes for the discovery if I liked drinking latte down at the local trendy cafe'. And the defenders are pretty good but just too expensive to repair and maintain.

Name 1 4WD that out of the box is capable constantly driving of hard tracks???
In my view there aren't any, which is why I've modded the patrol.

I'm first to admit that patrol is no powerhouse but far too many people just look at the engine output figures released from the manufacturer and base their decision purely on that. But the engine is only one component of many that make a good 4wd.

BTW, the 3.0 standard does the job good enough for MANY.

And the mods aren't required to "get it upto scratch" (which standard 4by is "upto scratch", they just make a good thing even better

Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2014, 02:26:37 PM »
+
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 02:37:22 PM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2014, 02:35:48 PM »
I'd have a 200 cruiser if I didnt really want to go 4wding anywhere very challenging anymore
Name 1 4WD that out of the box is capable constantly driving of hard tracks???

The one you "didn't really want" out flex's everything out of the box and its TC and suspension system take care of the rest.

Though I couldn't bring myself to scratch the hell out of $100k  :D
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2014, 02:39:35 PM »
Same goes for the discovery if I liked drinking latte down at the local trendy cafe'.

looks like a fairly hard track to me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyxXet4DH90

makes for good viewing, whatever vehicle you have... :)

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2014, 02:47:17 PM »
looks like a fairly hard track to me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyxXet4DH90

makes for good viewing, whatever vehicle you have... :)

I watched that and waited for the hard bit of the track to come up but it never arrived.

Geez the fishing is good around here
 Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline komaterpillar

• Tent User
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2014, 02:50:11 PM »
...And the defenders are pretty good but just too expensive to repair and maintain...

What part of a Defender is more expensive to repair or maintain than any other particular brand?

The British Tug

The Chinese Trailer

Offline Roo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Is hitting the road Jack.
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2014, 03:38:30 PM »
I started with a 1991 standard diesel 80 series Toyota in 1998, only because at the time I couldn't find a GQ 4.2 diesel for a realistic price($20k to spend). My folks had a GQ 4.2D so I new what I wanted..... Well that changed rapidly. The Toyota was so much better in every way, even dad thought it was pretty good in comparison.
Down track a few years and that truck was sold to finance a home deposit, I had cars for or a while until the 4wd bug bit again. I decided to try my hand at a Nissan. Searched about and settled on a '98 GU 2.8TDi. I know, underpowered and overweight but I figured it would be fine for local tracks and the odd trip towing my small boat.....wrong! As much maligned as that motor was, it boogied once it got on the boil. Once rolling it was quicker than a stock 4.2td but the getting rolling part was the problem and towing made it soooo much worse. Low range driving tracks was fine, actually really good but the boat on a ramp or steepish hill start was plain rubbish. Decided to do the long term touring thing so it had to go. But what next....duel cab ute wasn't really gonna cut it in my mind so I went back to the landcruiser club and I didn't settle for anything but a 100 series 4.2 TD auto. I know many will say the IFS is no good but that simply isn't true. I've taken this thing further than I've ever been and done so in such comfort its impossible to go back to a dirty old Nissan now.
I'm not biased.... All up I've owned more Nissans/Datsuns than anything else but the Toyotas just shine above.
'77 120y, '72 1200 coupe, '88 pulsar, '92 pulsar and the '98 GU.

Superiority complex??? Maybe, but I love it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
[insert witty comment]

Offline lochgilphead

• Tent User
  • Disgruntled by work; Gruntled by camping
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2014, 04:06:17 PM »
We had this discussion at a beer o'clock. We all drive different brands and apart from the friendly banter we all see that what suits you and your budget is what is best for you. 

I have NEVER seen any anyone admit or say "This patrol/yota/landie/isuzu is a complete piece of $%^& and I wish I had never bought it"  No matter the dramas most people will put a bright face on any issues and persevere (until they can trade it in or sell it off).  Just my $.02 worth.  I was a Nissan man but changed brands when they couldn't see what the Australian market needed for their patrol.
Mac and Jen - Isuzu MUX with some small mods towing a Rhinomax Discovery. This is our rig until we stop travelling!!

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2014, 04:26:44 PM »
I have a confession to make "I own a Toyota 80 series & I am superior"  >:D

Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline komaterpillar

• Tent User
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2014, 05:00:20 PM »
I have a confession to make "I own a Toyota 80 series & I am superior"  >:D

Swannie

HAHAHA  GOLD!  :cheers:

The British Tug

The Chinese Trailer

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2014, 05:19:56 PM »
For me as an old school mechanic who gave up the car fixing spanners in the early 90's and who worked on mining vehicle fleets plus some time at ARB fitting the fun stuff into the 60 series, this question is easily answered.
I am superior as I have no modern trickalogics to go wrong because of a bit of moisture. No fancy who har at all, just stuff that works and keep working, just the way I like it.
I get my Overdoes of PLC's and touch screen controlled rubbish here at work. When home and out playing, no way I'm gonna let this unreliable modern stuff spoil my time.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB