Author Topic: Is 4wd getting too expensive !!  (Read 39365 times)

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
Is 4wd getting too expensive !!
« on: November 13, 2013, 07:35:03 PM »

With new models of 4wd having so much electronics in them and the costs to repair basic things getting so expensive is it heading to the stage where its getting to be a rich persons hobby.

After having to get a new motor and new air conditioning system in my 2000 model cruiser ($11,000) it seems some of the costs of late model 4wd's is getting ridiculous for the basic repair items.

Yes we spend a certain amount to modify our beloved 4wd to equip them to tackle places we want to explore but the costs to repair, replace things seems to be getting very expensive.

Is it getting to the point where people look at buying older models or SUVs to enjoy going camping. Add a camper, which can vary from $5,000 to $80,000 plus camping extras (solar panels, generators, lights etc) and its becoming an expensive hobby. Also don't forget the fuel needed.

Also add in how often the 4wd is used and also how often the camper is used.

Naturally everyone's circumstances vary.

I think we are a dying breed.

Mark

Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Blue Bravo

• adventure before dementia
  • Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Is 4wd getting too expensive !!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 07:51:30 PM »
One of the issues is that we keep getting things to make life easy and what were once luxuries to be enjoyed at home we want to take with us. This seems to defeat the purpose of getting away from it all and getting back to nature.
Glenn

A member of the leisure class

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 07:52:40 PM »
Just my 22.2 cents worth, but I reckon every hobby is expensive............

Its just a case of what you are willing to pay to enjoy it.
Some people pay a pittance and get a large reward, while others aren't satisfied till they have the biggest and the best.
Then of course there's the majority that sit somewhere in the middle.

I love 4wdíng and camping as does my whole family, so I'm prepared to spend money to satisfy us all.
I also like to be comfortable and don't want to "rough it"
I'm supposed to be relaxing so why would I be more uncomfortable than if I stayed at home?
Hence the playdo and glamper (and possible new glamper soon)

Just my take on it....
Cheers
Brian
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline Flocky

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 07:54:19 PM »
I agree, it is getting very expensive but the way I look at it is you get to see and go to some wonderful places that you would not be able to in a WRX!
For me I like this to be my bad habit so then I don't (can't) have any others..... Should say motorbikes take any left overs ;D
VW Amarok & Modcon camper

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 08:08:41 PM »
I sold my CT and can't find one I want and am now in the mind as to whether I even want one.
Happy to hire one if and when I need it. Let someone else own it and store it and mod it.

Lately I have been camping very simply.

I have two small BCF tents ($30 each)
water bladder at the kids feet.
fridge and portable lighting
basic table and chairs.

We are having more fun, set up is not stressful and takes about half an hour from getting out of the car to getting into a beer.

I camped at Inskip on the weekend and I thought I was camping lean when a bloke walked in with a tent, an esky and a backpack. Not to mention his wife and young kid.

So it can still be a very cheap exercise.

As for modding or keeping car repaired it all depends on how its treated / age / what work its done before. But I agree if your not able to do things yourself and go to the local arb / tjm or whoever then your going to pay stupid money.....i.e turn a 60k prado into a 80k / 90k hero vehicle.........all the gear no idea......for most people thinking about lockers / winches etc etc etc is just a waste of time and money.

:cheers:

Offline maggs

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 08:10:02 PM »
I totally agree. Things are changing too fast in the auto industry and change costs money. The end user pays for this in the end. I guess it is the consumers own fault as we continually demand more gadgets with each new model. At  least that's what the manufacturers think we want.

It's a huge risk these days buying a used 4wd out of warranty and if something major dies like an electronic transmission' it can easily end up costing more than you paid for it real quick.

I often thought about designing a heavy duty bare bones 4wd that uses parts that are readily available and most importantly, cheap. No fancy pants electronics or systems but strong and reliable and able to be repaired in the bush. body panels that are as flat as possible. Something along the lines of a Land rover but even stronger and less gimmicks.

Some of the old tractors are a good example. Other than seals and filters etc., they go forever. Why can't we have a 4wd like that?

The only thing stopping me is not having access to Clive Palmer's bank account to fund the development.

Oh well, maybe in my next lifetime I'll get around to it.

Steve

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 4

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 08:15:29 PM »
I often thought about designing a heavy duty bare bones 4wd that uses parts that are readily available and most importantly, cheap. No fancy pants electronics or systems but strong and reliable and able to be repaired in the bush. body panels that are as flat as possible. Something along the lines of a Land rover but even stronger and less gimmicks.

Sounds like a GQ with a TD42 to me.......where's duggie??
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Tractor88

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 08:16:35 PM »
I agree that once a past time becomes popular plus modern tech gets involved expense soars. We have 2 4wd's and 1 camper trailer in the family and most of the gear to go with it. Mind you our Landcruiser 80 was made in 1992 and the GQ SWB was made in 1988. Both are diesel and both can be serviced at home quite easily. Our camper is new and costs just over 20 grand. It has taken me just shy of 20 odd years to have gathered all this stuff together so I whole heartedly agree it is not cheap. Having said this it is all quite cheap to run now we have it all except fuel and insurance. There will always be something that bends you over and makes you cry.  :-[ 
At least when its all over I can go camping and rub some cream on it.  ;D

Offline maggs

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 08:31:16 PM »
Sounds like a GQ with a TD42 to me.......where's duggie??

The GQ is a good starting point as it has many good qualities but it's still not that cheap to repair. I'm thinking even more basic. Take the VW Beetle as an example of a mass produced people mover. Arguably the most successful motor car ever made. A 4WD in the same theme but even better design would be great.

I think the most likely country to produce such a machine would be India. They are coming along in leaps and bounds in manufacturing.

Most of the big gun car makers are heading in the higher tech direction which is great if your got really deep pockets and can trade out before the warranty expires.

Steve

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 4

UIZ733

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 08:37:19 PM »
The answer is probably yes.......................however, when did you last see a trailer behind a hearse?

Offline 02-SR5

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 08:45:10 PM »
It's like any life style choice, we all decide how much we spend.

You can spend 60k on a camper or 3k. You are still sleeping under canvas.

Or you can drop 90k plus, plus another 15k at the local ARB, or drop 2k on a 15 year old Pajero to achieve the same result.

It is only as expensive if you want it to be. We just have more options now than what the Leyland Brothers did.
2011 Challenger with some mods

2012 Lifestyle Explorer

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 09:09:53 PM »
That is why I upgraded from a 1989 Hilux to a 1993 80 Series.  Couldn't afford the 100 Series we really wanted to get.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 09:13:38 PM »
Yes, it is an expensive way to go, but what is the alternative?  We just spent 6 months travelling in WA and spent heaps, but have absolutely no regrets.  We had a ball every single day.  Next year we will be doing a Europe trip and that will also be expensive.  The difference.  When we get home we will have heaps of memories and photos.  When we got home from WA we had all that, plus we still had our camper and 4wd, gave them a good clean and they are ready for the next adventure!   ;D   Just don't worry about the costs too much, when one day they place you in the old coffin there will not be much room for your money!   Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline crykies

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 09:20:53 PM »
Not a hobby to me but more a lifestyle. And lets face it life can be as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be.
www.beachloversleds.com.au

Tractor88

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 09:25:24 PM »
Yes, it is an expensive way to go, but what is the alternative?  We just spent 6 months travelling in WA and spent heaps, but have absolutely no regrets.  We had a ball every single day.  Next year we will be doing a Europe trip and that will also be expensive.  The difference.  When we get home we will have heaps of memories and photos.  When we got home from WA we had all that, plus we still had our camper and 4wd, gave them a good clean and they are ready for the next adventure!   ;D   Just don't worry about the costs too much, when one day they place you in the old coffin there will not be much room for your money!   Kevin

Very well said. And very true.

Offline heath74

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 09:35:26 PM »
No doubt it adds up, but as has been posted you can make it as cheap or exe as you like. For me any hobby that I can enjoy with my sons is a good one, and you have to spend your money on something right?

Offline FalcOn

• Swag User
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 09:40:51 PM »
In real terms it's actually never been cheaper... The price of cars relative to the average income has reduced over the years. Here is a recent article that shows the relationship between the two.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2013/can-cars-get-any-cheaper-39884?R=39884&Cr=30&surl=aHR0cDovL2VkaXRvcmlhbHN5c3RlbS5jYXJzYWxlcy5jb20uYXUvRGVza3RvcERlZmF1bHQuYXNweD9Ocz1wX0RhdGVBdmFpbGFibGVfRGF0ZVRpbWUlN0MxJk49Mjk4MSs0Mjk0OTY3MjgxKzQyOTQ5NjcyNzkmVGFiSUQ9MjIwODc4NiZRcGI9MSZzaWQ9MTQyNTA5QjBCRTM0Jk5vPTMwJk5uZT0xNQ..

I don't think its a dying breed, I think it's an expanding market. As Baby Boomers get more cash and more time they are following the dream of seeing Australia. I guess you don't make $130,000 4WD and a $80,000 Camper if there's not a market for them.

Offline ozbogwam

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 09:45:07 PM »
Only as expensive as you make it. You don't need any of the expensive stuff. A stock vehicle will pretty much everything you need it to do.

Heck a friend of my wife's just bought a HR wagon, chucked her two under two daughters in it with some 2nd hand camping gear and drove from Ballarat to Uluru and back. Not expensive at all.

I bought a 4.2 Gu about 10 years ago for $18k, have put $1k worth of mods on and that's it. Add the price of a small tradies trailer and camping gear we are just over $20k all up for a family of 4 camping setup.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 09:56:51 PM »
Not just 4wding, everything...

just a starter, how much is rego and insurance these days for what you get back...

how much are good quality tyres in a 285?? 350-500ea... Yes I did say quality - not Linglongfuk's.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 10:18:09 PM »
At the end of the day I really don't care...............It's what we do , and I'm willing to pay for the privilege to it my way  :cup: . I can't take it with me  ;D
2004 V8 5 speed IFS landcruiser with "ATS"

2005 Cape York Explorer Extreme with "ATS"

2012 Crusader X Country

McGirr is my Russell Coight and I'd follow him "Almost" anywhere !!!!!!

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 10:19:36 PM »
At the end of the day I really don't care...............It's what we do , and I'm willing to pay for the privilege to it my way  :cup: . I can't take it with me  ;D

X 1 million

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Carlisle Rogers

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • www.4wdtouring.com.au
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 10:32:31 PM »
The secret is to figure out a way to pretty much travel the outback as a job somehow...  :cheers:

Carlisle
Living the Dream

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 04:16:42 AM »
4wd'ing is not getting expensive - it's my boss at work keeping the share holders happy by keeping me living in poverty
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2013, 05:49:42 AM »
......I can't take it with me  ;D

....but if you had more power, bigger tyres, bigger lift, lockers galore......and a couple of DSLR's to record it all..... ;D ;D ;D
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2013, 07:02:48 AM »
It gets even harder when you have an aussie muscle car hobby as well!! Now they cost some coin to maintain and get parts

Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)