Author Topic: New Tent Recommendations  (Read 4438 times)

Offline Onion

• Tent User
    • Open-AudIT
New Tent Recommendations
« on: September 08, 2015, 04:57:47 PM »
So long story short - no camper trailer for now, need to upgrade our tent.
We currently have an OzTrail Sportiva Headland. It's big. The dimensions are Length: 18.5ft (or 5.6m), Width: 12ft (or 3.5m), Height: 7ft or (2.15m). It's actually quite a nice size for us as it's common for us to camp with quite a few other families and end up having up to 14 kids in the tent if it rains (obviously we have the biggest tent, so....).

But it's seen better days. We use a large tarp so as to not get soaked in the tent.

So I'm on the hunt for a replacement, seeing as the camper trailer is on the back burner for a while.

I'd like a good tent that's big and easy (enough) to set up. I've been looking at the OzTrail 10x15 cabins and they seem OK, but I'm wondering if anyone here has used one? Care to give your thoughts? What about something else? The size is really good for us and sure there are bigger one's around, but we don't need bigger than what we have. Was looking at a couple of domes the other day at Enoggera Camping (for those northside in Brisbane) and they had three large one's. The smallest of the three would have been OK, but those BIG tents with three rooms are overkill for us.

So any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

PS - You can see our setup (well, the back of it) in the intro thread... http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=44407.0.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 05:27:35 PM by Onion »
Trackabout owner.

Offline Peter The Greek

• Swag User
Re: New Tent Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 05:56:37 PM »
I hate domes.....we have one that I haven't used in years.....cant remember the brand, its supposed to be a good one.....PITA to set up. What's your budget?

If I needed a big tent I'd get the bigest one Southern Cross Canvas make (scroll to the bottom of this page)

http://www.southerncrosscanvas.com.au/tents/ultimate-tents/

Save my hiking tent and jet bunker, I'll never own another brand. Went from the east coast into the middle, up the NT, over the Cairns, back down in one of their tents....also right around Tassie. Bomb proof and last a lifetime.....but at a cost obviously

Offline Onion

• Tent User
    • Open-AudIT
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 06:57:55 PM »
Price should preferably be under $1k.
Would even look at second hand if the right tent for the right price came up.
Trackabout owner.

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 08:01:17 PM »
We've got a black wolf turbo lite 300, it's a good quality tent that's fairly easy to put up. It cost us around $1100 I think.
We need to use it this weekend, but then we're going to advertise it for sale if you're interested. It's only been used a handful of times.
Cheers
Listo

Offline feisty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 08:14:44 PM »
What about the heavier non-lite version?
Feisty
Sahara 100TD & Pioneer Argyle

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 08:15:30 PM »
We rate our RV4.......although you need a roof rack to transport it.

Offline 4runnernomore

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 08:23:01 PM »
Freedom camping touring tents.

http://www.freedomcamping.com.au/touring.html

Above your budget unfortunately but total quality. I had a family tourer for 24 years with no issues at all. Would still have it if the rats didn't make a nest in it and destroy it. Apart from the rat damage the rest of the tent was in excellent condition.

Easy to setup literally 5 minutes no bull. Around 10 mins to pack and that was because I would sweep and clean as I folded.  Heaps of room I could fit a queen size inflatable mattress at the back of the tent with room at the bottom for baggage and two full size stretcher down each side allowing plenty of room to stand in the middle.

Only Disadvantages were price (although you pay for quality), weight around 23 kg and pack up size. Hard to fit in a car would possibly need a roof rack. That is where I used to put mine.

Would I purchase again, hell yes and will when I can afford it.

cheers Chris :cheers:

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 08:26:37 PM »
I use a black wolf turbo lite 360 plus pretty good snd second hand in near perfect nick was 450, so same price as oztrail. Definately worth getting the extra space in the plus version in my opinion.
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 06:53:55 AM »
Freedom camping touring tents.

http://www.freedomcamping.com.au/touring.html

Above your budget unfortunately but total quality. I had a family tourer for 24 years with no issues at all. Would still have it if the rats didn't make a nest in it and destroy it. Apart from the rat damage the rest of the tent was in excellent condition.

Easy to setup literally 5 minutes no bull. Around 10 mins to pack and that was because I would sweep and clean as I folded.  Heaps of room I could fit a queen size inflatable mattress at the back of the tent with room at the bottom for baggage and two full size stretcher down each side allowing plenty of room to stand in the middle.

Only Disadvantages were price (although you pay for quality), weight around 23 kg and pack up size. Hard to fit in a car would possibly need a roof rack. That is where I used to put mine.

Would I purchase again, hell yes and will when I can afford it.

cheers Chris :cheers:

X2  I put mine on a shelf in the back of the Patrol so it can be 1st out and last in.

I have one of these and also a Freedom cabin tent (bigger) that I no longer use since I just bought a Campertrailer.  They could be available for sale but I'm in Melbourne so probably a bit far.

Offline chisel

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle Extenda 2012, Landcruiser 100 TD 2006
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 11:09:55 AM »
I have a blackwolf 300 lite twin.  Very big but still quick enough to put up and easy to do it by yourself.
Slightly over $1k and a bit extra if you want to enclose the awning bit with walls.

Also consider the blackwolf 450 cabin ... might be more your style if you're thinking about the old style canvas tents.

Offline Redcherokee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 09:30:45 PM »
We went to the Rose Hill (Sydney) camping show and checked out every tent on display before choosing our current favourite tent.  Is there a camping show coming up in your area?  It took someone almost all day of checking tents to find what we were looking for.

Our fave appears to have been a limited run from Coleman.  Coastal Breeze 6 or some such name (under other halfs seat in the van right now). Six sleeper, one big room, tall enough to stand in. Needs pegs,  but we have road tripped it as accomodation for dad and it wasn't too hard to put up each night.

I can also sell you an oztrail villa elite dome - sleeps twelve in four rooms, so just perfect of the two of us. 

Or I can sell you a JetTent.  Really only big enough for two.  Umbrella action is fast as anything to set up - no pegs needed unless it is windy.  Real alternative to the 30 second tent if you don't want to put it on the roof rack.   A bit more annoying to pack up and get back in the bag, but all tents seem a bit that way.

God luck with the search, it is balance of compromises.

Jeep Rubicon SWB 2013. Outback Campers Sturt 2011
4.2L Patrol and Billabong Grove 16 hard roofed camper.

Offline Andy_Q

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 10:45:06 PM »

I have a blackwolf 300 lite twin.  Very big but still quick enough to put up and easy to do it by yourself.
Slightly over $1k and a bit extra if you want to enclose the awning bit with walls.

Also consider the blackwolf 450 cabin ... might be more your style if you're thinking about the old style canvas tents.

I'm pretty sure this is the same tent I have. Paid just under $1k including one side all.

Bought it at a camping show. Did not realise how big and heavy it was in the bag until after we paid for it!  Barely fits in the back of our Pajero as it is too long.

It's a great tent. Just be sure that you check out the tent as you will need to store and transport before committing at a show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 11:13:27 PM »
Before getting into camper trailers we tented.  Still have a collection of about seven tents I think.  All different and all suited our needs at the time but I don't think there is one tent that will do everything.  The one that did is the only tent we have since sold.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Tbone

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 11:23:46 PM »
We also have one of the Oztent RV's but have the RV5 with ground sheet, fly, deluxe front and side walls. These things are unreal and easy to setup. A mate has the coleman instant tent and I am usually into the second tinny after setting mine up by the time he is finished.

It may not fit the 14 kids in it but we camp comfortably in it (me, wifey, 3 young ones) without the external walls put on. Setting up just the tent for an easy weekend away is a couple of minutes including pegs. With the walls, floor etc maybe pushes out to genuine and relaxing pace 10-15 mins....packs up just as quick and unlike most tents fits in the bag easily.

With the camper only 2 weeks away and no trips schedule between now and then this is about to be sold. It is just over 12 months old and in great condition.

If you are keen or know someone who is let me know. We are on the southside (were northside) and if you want can set it up or come meet you and set it up so you know what its like first.
Drifta Offroad Tourer 6
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
"Life is like riding a bicycle, To keep your balance you must keep moving"