Author Topic: Borneo info  (Read 2716 times)

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
Borneo info
« on: November 18, 2018, 06:37:50 AM »
Hi all,

The wife is keen on a holiday to Borneo in August. Anyone been there? Looking for recommendations or tips. Looking at hiking Mt Kinabalu, seeing the orangutans and doing some snorkeling.

Any info is appreciated.

Cheers Andy

Offline grmas1

• Tent User
Re: Borneo info
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 08:11:45 AM »
Hi

Went there in 2003 and was a great place, we stayed at Shangri La Rasa Ria, had everything there. Orangutan sanctuary on site. Did not do the mountain as my daughter was only 12 months old. The city part of KK was not bad either at the time.
Grant

2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2015 Mars Camper Surveyor

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 12:35:57 PM »
We did Sabah about 12 years ago as a family holiday with our 2 boys who were about 15 and 11. I think it was about October we went. I think of all our holidays we've had, it is one best that comes to mind. My memories are of seeing my boys laughing and smiling by all the experiences.
KK is just another asian city, and it was a bit saddening to see how much deforrestation for palm oil was happening even back then, but the (12 day?) tour was fantastic.
We left from KK and did Mount Kinabalu, Sungai Kinabatangan, Pulau Libaran, Sepilok Orangutang sanctuary, Mulu National Park, Kundasang War Memorial and a couple of other islands and places I cant remeber.
We were very lucky with our tour(cant remember who it was with). It was basically the 4 of us and 2 guides (one was a trainee). They were from rural areas and knew the places really well. They would do things like tell us were to stand at the Orangutang sanctuary, as they know where the animals would go to (directly in front of us) and at the turtle sanctuary they knew the rangers, so the boys got a side tour and got to handle the hatchlings and even got to release some of them. We toured a few islands out that way.
Kinabatangan River was great. We stayed on the river and did different day trips. The monkeys had the kids in laughter all day, we got lucky and saw Orangutangs in the wild, but the miniature elephants are very elusive.
Mount Kinabalu was great too, in fact the worst part of it was KK, but we arent really fans of visiting cities.

On the way home we stayed over at Brunei. Very different and surprisingly we enjoyed it. We stayed at the Empire Hotel & Country Club. It wasnt overly expensive, and its service and facilities was over the top. Even the capital, Bandar Seri Begawan, was very lay back and enjoyable. Just remember its a dry country (but you were allowed to take in some alcohol for consumption in your room).
Jerudong Amusement Park was ok too. The dodgem cars are full on smash up derbies, and for a massive amusement park, there wasnt many people there. 
There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 06:36:34 PM »
Hi

Went there in 2003 and was a great place, we stayed at Shangri La Rasa Ria, had everything there. Orangutan sanctuary on site. Did not do the mountain as my daughter was only 12 months old. The city part of KK was not bad either at the time.

Thanks Grant,

It's never been on my to do list but the more we look into it the nicer it looks.

Cheers Andy

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 06:45:59 PM »
We did Sabah about 12 years ago as a family holiday with our 2 boys who were about 15 and 11. I think it was about October we went. I think of all our holidays we've had, it is one best that comes to mind. My memories are of seeing my boys laughing and smiling by all the experiences.
KK is just another asian city, and it was a bit saddening to see how much deforrestation for palm oil was happening even back then, but the (12 day?) tour was fantastic.
We left from KK and did Mount Kinabalu, Sungai Kinabatangan, Pulau Libaran, Sepilok Orangutang sanctuary, Mulu National Park, Kundasang War Memorial and a couple of other islands and places I cant remeber.
We were very lucky with our tour(cant remember who it was with). It was basically the 4 of us and 2 guides (one was a trainee). They were from rural areas and knew the places really well. They would do things like tell us were to stand at the Orangutang sanctuary, as they know where the animals would go to (directly in front of us) and at the turtle sanctuary they knew the rangers, so the boys got a side tour and got to handle the hatchlings and even got to release some of them. We toured a few islands out that way.
Kinabatangan River was great. We stayed on the river and did different day trips. The monkeys had the kids in laughter all day, we got lucky and saw Orangutangs in the wild, but the miniature elephants are very elusive.
Mount Kinabalu was great too, in fact the worst part of it was KK, but we arent really fans of visiting cities.

On the way home we stayed over at Brunei. Very different and surprisingly we enjoyed it. We stayed at the Empire Hotel & Country Club. It wasnt overly expensive, and its service and facilities was over the top. Even the capital, Bandar Seri Begawan, was very lay back and enjoyable. Just remember its a dry country (but you were allowed to take in some alcohol for consumption in your room).
Jerudong Amusement Park was ok too. The dodgem cars are full on smash up derbies, and for a massive amusement park, there wasnt many people there.

Thanks mate,

We aren't overly keen on the city side of things either  so will be trying to get out to some of the off the beaten track places.

We've only got two weeks but plan on spending a bit of time kicking back on the beach and doing a bit of snorkelling.

How did you find the hike? We are looking at a two day one night climb. We do a bit of hiking here in the winter but Mount Kinabalu is a lot higher than anything around here.

Cheers Andy

Offline xvprado

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 09:34:33 PM »
Been about 4 years since our last visit. KK is a nice town, there are some good resorts about 30 minutes out of town, Nexus and one other, if that's your thing they both front on to the ocean and are very clean and well set up. Sepilok and Sandakan are worth the trip to see the orangatans and some great war history, Mt Kinabalu is pretty speccy. Kuching is a bit so so, wouldn't really bother with that again. There are some good day tours out of the KK area to long houses and stuff. While youre there Brunei is certainly worth a few days, the Sultans brother built a hotel called the Empire, it is just soo good, great country to really get a feel for an alternative culture and political system, highly recommend it. Borneo is pretty diverse and the people are lovely
Glen
Hawkesbury Valley, Sydderney
2015 200 TD VX & Mountain Trail LXV4.7

Offline Wazza999

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 02:37:53 PM »
I had about 2 weeks in Brunei several years ago when my organisation was doing land suitability research there. Compared to the rest of Borneo it's quite undeveloped as they haven't needed to log having the oil revenue. The people were very friendly. Look up Temburong NP, well worth a visit. I only did a day trip to the NP at the end of my stint in the country but there is a resort as well. The resort can only be reached by boat. Great canopy walk, no Orang-utans in that part of the country though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

NT Pajero/2007 Goldstream Crown

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 04:48:45 PM »

How did you find the hike? We are looking at a two day one night climb. We do a bit of hiking here in the winter but Mount Kinabalu is a lot higher than anything around here.

Cheers Andy

We didnt go to the top, son #2 too young and was a bit time poor to do everything else. Spent most of the day hiking around the park, it had some interesting flora, and a very scenic spot.
There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Mangrovematt

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 05:08:02 PM »
Get A-M to call Ned, she has been there also, pretty sure she has Nachos on the beach lol,
LC 79 Dual cab ,  Camel beachcomber x4 humps

Offline Memem284

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 06:23:46 PM »
I went there about 8 years ago for uni and there was so many great places. Kuching is really nice - it seemed like a very safe city but KK, not so much. If you can get to Sandakan, there is some really interesting historical aspects for Australians.

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 06:02:17 PM »
Been about 4 years since our last visit. KK is a nice town, there are some good resorts about 30 minutes out of town, Nexus and one other, if that's your thing they both front on to the ocean and are very clean and well set up. Sepilok and Sandakan are worth the trip to see the orangatans and some great war history, Mt Kinabalu is pretty speccy. Kuching is a bit so so, wouldn't really bother with that again. There are some good day tours out of the KK area to long houses and stuff. While youre there Brunei is certainly worth a few days, the Sultans brother built a hotel called the Empire, it is just soo good, great country to really get a feel for an alternative culture and political system, highly recommend it. Borneo is pretty diverse and the people are lovely

Thanks for the info mate, not sure we'll fit Brunei in but but it sounds like it would be worth making the time.

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 06:03:40 PM »
Get A-M to call Ned, she has been there also, pretty sure she has Nachos on the beach lol,

I positive that's where she got the idea from. I'm glad Ned didn't suggest Maldives!! $$$$

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 06:07:29 PM »
I went there about 8 years ago for uni and there was so many great places. Kuching is really nice - it seemed like a very safe city but KK, not so much. If you can get to Sandakan, there is some really interesting historical aspects for Australians.

Thanks mate will research Sandakan

Cheers

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 06:12:24 PM »
I had about 2 weeks in Brunei several years ago when my organisation was doing land suitability research there. Compared to the rest of Borneo it's quite undeveloped as they haven't needed to log having the oil revenue. The people were very friendly. Look up Temburong NP, well worth a visit. I only did a day trip to the NP at the end of my stint in the country but there is a resort as well. The resort can only be reached by boat. Great canopy walk, no Orang-utans in that part of the country though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks mate sounds interesting. I think I need more than two weeks!