Author Topic: Used vehicle purchase checks  (Read 5427 times)

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
Used vehicle purchase checks
« on: October 22, 2016, 12:18:45 PM »
What checks can you do these days when purchasing a privately owned used vehicle?
I haven't bought a used car in about 20 years, so have no idea what you can and can't do these days. I'll mention here it's my brother buying a used fourby and not me actually buying the vehicle, but he is in the dark as much as I am on what can be searched. So besides a mechanical check (we have inspected it ourselves already, drives fine and appears to be in very good condition) and a REVS search, is there any other searches you can or should do when buying a used vehicle privately?
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
Re: Used vehicle purchase checks
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 03:33:09 PM »
Gday Mal.

When i bought the patrol i asked someone who new about patrols( rocky4.8gu).What ever brand you brother is buying i reckon he should ask someone who has either owned at least a couple of that brand so as he knows the ins & outs of them.
After the my swag member checked it out for me i had no hesitation of buying the patrol.horses for courses as they say.

cheers.

99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 04:06:34 PM »
Got any friends in the force ??     I've had a few checked out to see if the seller is a clean skin or is of a shady nature ( if you get what I mean ).  So far they've all been clean, .......I know it's not a guarantee but I figure that if the seller is above board then it's gotta help  :-\

Cheers
John K
2004 V8 5 speed IFS landcruiser with "ATS"

2005 Cape York Explorer Extreme with "ATS"

2012 Crusader X Country

McGirr is my Russell Coight and I'd follow him "Almost" anywhere !!!!!!

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 06:34:18 PM »
Gday Mal.

When i bought the patrol i asked someone who new about patrols( rocky4.8gu).What ever brand you brother is buying i reckon he should ask someone who has either owned at least a couple of that brand so as he knows the ins & outs of them.
After the my swag member checked it out for me i had no hesitation of buying the patrol.horses for courses as they say.

cheers.

it's a 3 year old vehicle, and when I climbed underneath it the thing looks to never have been driven off-road pretty much. I then asked the guy how much wheeling he's done in it and he said it's been up Freshwater track once and that's it...which is just what it looked like to me. The guys wife supposably uses it as her daily driver and this thing is spotless other then some dirt from road grime under the bonnet area....looks to be a shopping trolley.

Got any friends in the force ??     I've had a few checked out to see if the seller is a clean skin or is of a shady nature ( if you get what I mean ).  So far they've all been clean, .......I know it's not a guarantee but I figure that if the seller is above board then it's gotta help  :-\

Cheers
John K
we quizzed him on his reason for selling (which means nothing as anyone can
lie), and all general off the cuff conversations after that regarding his job (which we have family involved in the same company / line of work) came up as legit answers...no alarm bells rang and on the surface he seems ok, but you never know really. The vehicle is no bargain buy, it appears to be what it is (lowish klm 3 year old fourby) & the guy is selling it for what we'd be asking for it if we owned it (actually we'd probably ask a tiny bit more we thought, but not a lot more)
As far us asking a copper mate....I asked the one family friend we know in the force to look up someone's address for us a few years ago, after that person was found to have a motor belonging to a mates car that had gotten stolen a year earlier, and he refused to do so...he seemed to think something might happen to the guy, and he didn't want it noted he'd logged in to check the persons details out....lol.

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 07:31:23 AM »
Turn up with a few of these blokes and ask a few direct questions :) LOL  ;D

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 07:39:34 AM »
Don't get fooled into buying one of the fancy used vehicle history reports. You can get exactly the same info on the govt supplied one for less $.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 07:49:42 AM »
Knew a bloke who was a Main Roads vehicle inspector.

Very handy when buying a used car from a dealer - pulls up in his work ute, walks in wearing MRD uniform, says G'day to the dealer "Mate, I'm interested in the "Patrol" out the front, talk to me about it"
Dealer (!@#$ing himself by now) Sorry, that one's not for sale - it's just sitting there to be taken away because we've found that the gearbox / brakes / engine is shot so we can't sell it"

Ok, how about the "Cruiser"? No, no - same thing, full of problems

& so on till we find out that the "Pajero" is fine. "Thanks for that - just checking for a mate. He'll be in this arvo to talk to you."

On his way out "By the way, I'll be back on Wednesday with an inspection team - all those problem cars will be sorted by then, won't they?"  >:D  :police:

Unfortunately, he's retired now  :'(
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 08:53:30 AM »
Don't get fooled into buying one of the fancy used vehicle history reports. You can get exactly the same info on the govt supplied one for less $.
so there's more then one place to get REVS check done is there?,I'm happy to admit I have no idea as like I said it's been 20 years since I've bought secondhand privately. Where is best site to check then?

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 09:20:07 AM »
$3.40 tells you the history of ownership, register of write offs vehicle and finance owing
https://www.ppsr.gov.au
Need a Vin no to do check but if Qld rego you can get vin from here
https://www.service.transport.qld.gov.au/checkrego/public/Welcome.xhtml?windowId=a35

« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 09:23:26 AM by rags »

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 09:34:32 AM »
$3.40 tells you the history of ownership, register of write offs vehicle and finance owing
https://www.ppsr.gov.au
Need a Vin no to do check but if Qld rego you can get vin from here
https://www.service.transport.qld.gov.au/checkrego/public/Welcome.xhtml?windowId=a35
cheers..took photos of the VIN number whilst inspecting the vehicle so we have that already

Here's one option: http://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-driving/cars/buying-a-car/car-history-checks
after having someone get RACQ to do a vehicle inspection on a ute I sold many years ago, I'll avoid them for anything myself...they didn't tell the guy anything mechanically he needed to know about the vehicle (I didn't try and hide anything, it was what it was), and mainly noted minor cosmetic issues on a 20 year old work ute. Seems like the link above gives same details for minimal cost anyhow....cheers

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 09:54:48 AM »
I take mine to my mechanic and he does a thorough check and writes down everything of concern. He also checks out previous service history to check things were done properly and on time. He does this for about $100. 

Before I do this I've already agreed on a sale price with the seller subject to my mechanics recommendation after he's checked it out.

Never had any dramas doing this and if the seller doesn't want a mechanic to look over it then I walk away.

Offline pinarelloman

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 03:27:41 PM »
Where is the vehicle located? Perhaps a Swagger could have a sticky beak, or try the local 4 wd centre nearest to the location and ask them. Preferably not where they had it serviced.
Landcruiser HDJ100 5spd auto.
Australian Off Road camper 2009 Oddyssey export signature.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 03:34:27 PM »
Where is the vehicle located? Perhaps a Swagger could have a sticky beak, or try the local 4 wd centre nearest to the location and ask them. Preferably not where they had it serviced.
i'm not concerned with the mechanical check of it, was more asking about other checks you get done...as in REVS check etc. I know with buying an ex government vehicle here in Qld, you used to be able to ring the public trustees office and give them the rego number, they then could look up the vehicles full service record (often different to what the log book showed), aswell as the vehicles insurance claim history to find out if it had any claims made at all on it. It would be nice if you could do that with a privately owned vehicle, but I assume that still isn't possible?

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 03:40:16 PM »
so there's more then one place to get REVS check done is there?,I'm happy to admit I have no idea as like I said it's been 20 years since I've bought secondhand privately. Where is best site to check then?

There are quite a few available for around $30. From what I saw on some TV show they are typically by the one company which has been linked to dodgy marketing tactics and runs some sort of credit check business. All the 'better' reports do is add some photos and show you the typical price for that model which you can find out easily for yourself online.

As above the PPSR report for $3.40 is all you need.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 03:44:45 PM »
There are quite a few available for around $30. From what I saw on some TV show they are typically by the one company which has been linked to dodgy marketing tactics and runs some sort of credit check business. All the 'better' reports do is add some photos and show you the typical price for that model which you can find out easily for yourself online.

As above the PPSR report for $3.40 is all you need.
:cheers:

KingBilly

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 04:36:46 PM »
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 05:28:45 PM by KingBilly »

AdrianLR

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2016, 05:19:23 PM »
You MUST check whether the vehicle is under finance. The PPSR check gives this information if I recall correctly. Without this check you could be paying twice.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2016, 05:29:51 PM »
You MUST check whether the vehicle is under finance. The PPSR check gives this information if I recall correctly. Without this check you could be paying twice.
been done already and yes there is a security issue with Toyota Finance, so will be getting looked into this week.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 05:32:01 PM by Rumpig »