Author Topic: What's in your first aid kit?  (Read 17687 times)

Offline vicandug

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Get ready. Get set.......
What's in your first aid kit?
« on: December 18, 2013, 08:56:36 AM »
Hi guys...
So many things to think about. (For Ug anyway)
He is a man of lists and his latest is the first aid kid. I don't want to take 20 gazillion band aids and Panadol, just what's needed.
So tell me what's in your first aid kit?
The dream - to travel like a snail with my home behind me, seeing every inch of Australia.

Life is a gift and too short to waste.

scarps

Re: What's in your first aid kit?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 09:09:26 AM »
Bottle of pain killer - Jim Beam

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 09:36:51 AM »
In no particular order
1st aid book, crepe bandages, elastic bandages, scissors, tweezers, scalple,magnifying glass, splinter picks, plastic tube, eye flush cup, mouth to mouth sheild, gauze pads assorted sizes, saline tubes, roll of strapping tape, roll of elastoplast bandaid, anti hystamine tablets, bettadine, burn gel, panadol, vicks, anticeptic wipes, tooth ache gel,  lighter, small high power torch, plastic bag, cotton buds, safety pins, small mirror . Note pad and pens.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 09:46:01 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 11:10:46 AM »
Stuff to try to put me back together after l do something really stupid ....its a given  :cup:. l just hope thers enough to do the job  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Marschy

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 11:15:30 AM »
Most off the shelf first aid kits lack two essential items. Bandaids and painkillers. Painkillers I can understand, but why do most first aid kits not have bandaids?

scarps

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 11:27:02 AM »

Stuff to try to put me back together after l do something really stupid ....its a given  :cup:. l just hope thers enough to do the job  :cheers:
Duct tape and Silicone

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 11:37:11 AM »
In no particular order
1st aid book, crepe bandages, elastic bandages, scissors, tweezers, scalple,magnifying glass, splinter picks, plastic tube, eye flush cup, mouth to mouth sheild, gauze pads assorted sizes, saline tubes, roll of strapping tape, roll of elastoplast bandaid, anti hystamine tablets, bettadine, burn gel, panadol, vicks, anticeptic wipes, tooth ache gel,  lighter, small high power torch, plastic bag, cotton buds, safety pins, small mirror . Note pad and pens.

Ours is a big kit for Cape York trips and a smaller one (basic) that stays in the CT.
Ours is similar to EDZ but we also carry a suture kit, quite a few compression bandages and if you have kids a tube of stingoes.

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 11:54:14 AM »
In no particular order
what he said...plus space blanket, stingoze, instant cold pack, micropore tape.

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 11:58:02 AM »
and don't forget about pets, if you take them. Our first aid kit propably has more crap for the 2 dogs then for us
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 12:02:04 PM »
Most off the shelf first aid kits lack two essential items. Bandaids and painkillers. Painkillers I can understand, but why do most first aid kits not have bandaids?

Our work remote area kits still have them.
One reason may be that some bandaids don't last well in the heat of a vehicle - the elastoplast type tape & bandaids do go all sticky if left in a vehicle for a long time.

AdrianLR

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 12:14:54 PM »
Spray bandage is probably the single most used item in our kit. Stings like hell but very effective at keeping first and water out.

Also duplicates of any special medication (migraine intranasal for my twice-a-year but often when we go camping migraines!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 12:15:59 PM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Ben.Archer

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 02:38:03 PM »
My brother in law is a senior paramedic and when I questioned him this exact topic a few years ago thinking I would get a long list of critical items all he said was "only carry what you know how to use......"

I can see some sense in that, especially from someone who spends his life on the end of a helicopter wire pulling people out of remote area's...

2015 Land Rover Discovery 4
2000 90 Series Toyota Prado RV6
2013 MDC Off Road Step-Through V3 - Heavily modded and I am only just starting :-)

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 02:53:40 PM »
My brother in law is a senior paramedic and when I questioned him this exact topic a few years ago thinking I would get a long list of critical items all he said was "only carry what you know how to use......"

I can see some sense in that, especially from someone who spends his life on the end of a helicopter wire pulling people out of remote area's...

Similar to the advice given on this forum in the past; "Do a First Aid course."

One thing with paramedics and us doctors, we have lots of toys we like to use.   A paramedic's first aid kit is the size of a small truck because it is a small truck.
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 02:55:27 PM »

Speewa,
The 6 million VB can man. ;D
Small | Large

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

AdrianLR

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 05:09:11 PM »

Only agree to some extent. Definitely don't include stuff that could be used to do more harm than good in the wrong hands but like a tool kit, quite often even if you don't know how to use it or aren't confident, someone will come along who can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 05:41:50 PM »
Don't laugh, but a common injury is gravel rash (skinned knees / elbows when kids fall from pushbikes, or from falling down while bushwalking) so my kit also includes a couple of ladies sanitary napkins- they're sterile, absorbent, non stick, pre shaped to knees and elbows,  and cover a large area.
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 06:14:53 PM »
Along with the common items listed above we also have a broad spectrum antibiotic in powder form that can be made up into a liquid for administering orally.

Offline kiwi_camper

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 08:05:17 PM »

I agree Marschy. When I got our camping First Aid Kit (cost $100 mind you) I had to go and spend another $5 on bandaids. I have 8 and 11 year old boys and most of the time it's only bandaids I need. On the off chance it's something more, I have a fully equipped kit. Having a son who is a serious asthmatic, I can't afford to take any chances. I have found that if you have young kids, the kind of stuff you need in your First Aid Kit does differ a bit.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 09:22:46 PM by kiwi_camper »
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it's called the present.

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 08:10:40 PM »
Stingose, is a must especially if you have kids.
Something to take the sting away when they get bitten by ants or stung by wasps/bees.
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Marschy

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 08:22:03 PM »
We also threw a tube of Savlon antiseptic cream in our first aid kit. Excellent stuff if you have chaffing.
Burnaid is also a must, particularly if you have small kids around campfires.

Offline Redcherokee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 08:27:34 PM »
Soove, Zyrtec, toe nail clippers, extra and normal strength painkillers, Rhinocort, tweezers that work properly, antiseptic spray, gelnet, ankle and knee braces, anti diarrhoea drugs, rehydration/electrolyte powder, aloe tube for sunburn, savlon.  Plus the standard bandages, scissors etc.

Basically take a comprehensive kit and add in the stuff we actually use.

Jeep Rubicon SWB 2013. Outback Campers Sturt 2011
4.2L Patrol and Billabong Grove 16 hard roofed camper.

Offline ewwreckers

• Tent User
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 08:41:41 PM »
The usual bandages, tape, needles, tweezers, scissors, tubes saline, eye wash, savlon, Dettol, bandaid spray, one of those silver blanket things, instant cold pack, stingos, stop itch, hydralyte, sunscreen, aloe vera, tea tree anti fungle gel other stuff.
I also have a tablet box with codral, panadol, nurofen, son's epilepsy meds, ear plugs, sedatives, anti hystamins, gastro stop tablets, butter menthols, etc
Cheers
Vanessa

$150 Jackaroo + $1600 CT = One helluva happy family!

"Got my toes in the water,
ass in the sand,
not a worry in the world,
a cold beer in my hand,
Life is good today, life is good today"

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 07:12:50 AM »
Mine keeps getting bigger as I think of more stuff.
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Tent User
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2013, 08:22:07 AM »
Only agree to some extent. Definitely don't include stuff that could be used to do more harm than good in the wrong hands but like a tool kit, quite often even if you don't know how to use it or aren't confident, someone will come along who can.

Just hope that "someone" who comes along who decides to use everything in your first aid kit because they watched one of the many Emergency-type shows on the idiot box.