Author Topic: Calling Sydneysiders (and surrounds)  (Read 2369 times)

Offline fridayman

• Tent User
    • TRIP TALES
Calling Sydneysiders (and surrounds)
« on: October 03, 2013, 08:29:58 AM »
After our trip, for various reasons, we had decided to settle in Brisbane. However the job hunting has not been going well at all for either myself or my missus - all the jobs in our fields are down in Sydney and Melbourne. As our savings are all but spent now, we have to go where the money is, so we're heading to Sydney. We need some help finding a suitable place to setup our camper while we are looking for work. Obviously we don't want to pay too much... And we need somewhere with good mobile (Telstra) reception (wifi would be a bonus). Ideally somewhere a bit quiet too (we don't mind being outside Sydney and travelling in for interviews) - we're currently camped in the hills in Kin Kin at Noosa Forest Retreat and love it here! Any help/suggestions on where to stay would be very much appreciated.

Offline Wortho

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Calling Sydneysiders (and surrounds)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 08:51:50 AM »
Closest to the city would be Lane cove, not cheap at $39 a day for powered site but when you consider the distance to the CBD its a pretty good deal.
 http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/lane-cove-national-park/lane-cove-river-tourist-park/camping
Only minutes away from North Ryde and Macquarie Park so lots of businesses around especially if your in IT.

There's not a great deal to choose from around the city as many caravan parks have closed due to high land values etc.
There used to be one near Berowra but that's houses now.

Cheers
Mark
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:05:46 AM by Wortho »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 09:47:58 AM »
As said, theres fawk all in Sydney.. you maybe better off trying the Central Coast, or out west and travelling in.. but nowhere will be cheap...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 10:13:24 AM »
I would drive the extra 800 to melbourne and stay at mentone caravan park 30 per night for long term and right near the train line into town
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 10:32:32 AM »
As others have said, Sydney is not well-endowed with caravan parks and those that remain are far-flung. As suggested, Lane Cove is only a handful of kays from the CBD.

Also try googling Narrabeen - it's a northern beaches suburb that has a holiday park. It is popular/packed in summer/holiday but may be more reasonable $ in slow times... Bus to city (not sure how long it takes, sorry).

Good luck and hope this helps

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline Wortho

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 10:52:06 AM »
There are also a few caravan parks west of Sydney. Download wikicamps to your phone or tablet to locate them.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 11:48:30 AM »
Narabeen is 40 per night and about an hour and 15 bus ride into town. It is a bit of a pain if you have interviews elsewhere besides town as you will still have to go to town to change bus or train
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 11:49:55 AM »
Another way may be to do some applications and if you get a nibble and interview is to fly down from where you are. By the time you add up fuel food and accomodation in Syd for 5 days there is a return airfare to brisvages paid for
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 12:21:21 PM »
Sydney Gateway is near Blacktown, just not a pleasant area in the heat so give that a miss.

There are plenty of van parks on the Central Coast but none are near a train station that I can think of.

All seaside parks will be busy/booked for Xmas but there are some away from the water that probably need visitors.

Julian
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Soosipine

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 01:09:43 PM »
There is a caravan park at Dural, in north-west Sydney, not sure of the cost for a site.  Also there is a bus that goes directly into the city from a bus stop across the road. Hope this helps.

Offline fridayman

• Tent User
    • TRIP TALES
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 01:19:06 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, this gives us a great starting point to find somewhere suitable. I'll have a look at the suggested sites, and on Wiki camps (we used this a lot on our trip). We are not too fussed about being on the beach. Where we are now in the Sunshine coast hinterland suits us just fine. It looks like we are really spoiled where we are at the moment - we pay almost half the prices suggested and have good wifi and washing facilities, and it is very quiet and beautiful here.

The fly in/out for interviews may be a real option, I'll have a look into flight prices from the Sunshine Coast / Brisbane to Sydney.