Author Topic: YOUR solution to Speed/Redlight Camera's  (Read 11584 times)

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
Re: YOUR solution to Speed/Redlight Camera's
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 03:15:20 PM »
I have no problem with speed or red light cameras my problem is multiple speed changes on roads due to school zones etc for example if you travel the full length of parramatta rd sydney it changes speed approx 17 times and this gets confusing.

To avoid this they should paint the lines a different colour for each zone say red for 50. Green for 60. Blue for 80 and the like

The Great Western Highway across the Blue Mountains is the worst road I have travelled on for speed limits. There are constantly work zones etc. to muddy the waters.

The last time I was driving (west to east) I came into a work zone. On the left side of the road was a 40Kph sign, and on the right side of the road was a 60Kph sign. Both intended for my direction of travel.

Further down there was a workzone amrked at 40, the workzone ended and the speed went back to 80, then 50m down the road another work zone and back to 40.

Best way to lose your license is to drive over the mountains via the GWH.

Bunyip
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2013, 03:30:36 PM »
For the SPEED  issue surely being that at least 99% of cars / trucks these days have electronic fuel injection, A authorized preset over speed limeter could be retro fitted at a rego inspection station, That works along the lines of a rev limiter once the over speed is reached and resets when speed falls below the preset .. For differing speed zones, there would need to be  an electronic signaler to tell it of differing speed zones .. ..For a small [ couple of hundred at most ] once off fee or factory fitted in new cars you couldnt argue against it ..
It could be fitted to older types of petrol and diesels in the form of a spark cut and fuel cut device.
It still allows you to pull high revs in lower gears as its Gps fed and not engine speed related ..
The Tech for this has been around for many many years, Europe has had elctronic speed signes [ adjustable ] for years and monitored roads.. Just our antiquated out of touch traffic polocies / roads  here arnt up to the Tech of the cars and era that we drive /  live in  ..
RED LIGHTS camera's, School zones etc I have no issue with ..
That Answer it for you Bob ?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:49:02 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 04:05:35 PM »
Yep, the testing to get a drivers licence is crap.

Same with boats and bikes too.
I sat for the boat licence and went straight out and bought a 30 footer, EXCEPT, i had a very experienced mate skipper it from the gold coast to bribie and i spent the time and money to book the licence guy for a 2 hour, one on one tuition.

I'd like to think, i'm slightly smarter than the average bear.  ;D

Except, i blew that theory today, when cleaning the Jeep and found a one year old Macca's fry down the side of the seat.
Still looked really good too and i knew not to do it, but i bit into it to see if it was eatable..... it wasn't.  :-[
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2013, 05:02:36 PM »
You cannot make it harder for people to get their licence. Why? Because it would be against human rights. Human Rights Charter,  what a bloody joke.  ;D
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 05:40:31 PM »
Yes don't speed and you won't have a problem. The most frustrating  thing is overtaking a slower vehicle and staying within the speed limit. That can be hard. You need a very long straight road to do that easily.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline ScottH

• Swag User
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2013, 07:20:29 PM »
That evening, at 6:18pm I am turning right onto St Georges road off Bell Street. After waiting my turn for five light changes, I am sitting behind one car as we wait for a break in the traffic. We are pretty much in the middle of the intersection, no mans land.
No break in traffic, the lights go amber, the guy in front is slow........ FLASH I am sure as well as myself, the two cars behind got done as well.

Just for reference on this one:
If the light is green and there are vehicles approaching from the opposite direction, you should move forward into the intersection past the STOP line if you can do so safely. If there is a safe gap in oncoming traffic, you may complete the turn. If you are in the intersection and the oncoming traffic continues until the lights turn yellow or red, you must complete the turn on the yellow or red light.
From http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Queensland-road-rules/Road-rules-refresher/Traffic-lights.aspx

It is also covered in the Australia Road Rules - Rule 58 deals with when a driver does not have to stop for a red traffic light.

(5)         If the traffic lights or traffic arrows (as the case may be) change to yellow or red while the driver is stopped and the driver has entered the intersection, the driver must leave the intersection as soon as the driver can do so safely.

Based on rule 58, you could have submitted a written dispute to the infringement notice and had the penalty revoked.

- - - - - - - - - - -
The big issue I have with fixed and hidden speed cameras is the now constant need to watch the speedo instead of focusing on traffic conditions around the vehicle. Driving in the Sydney Harbour Tunnel and the Lane Cove Tunnel are two of the worst locations as they both have significant inclines, so it is very easy to pick up speed and creep over the limit. Moreso if you are towing a reasonable load. I find that when driving in these locations, I spend more time worrying about the speed I'm doing that watching for the actions of other drivers (who are also distracted by their speed monitoring).

I'm not sure how they allow for a compromise without it being open to abuse, but commonsense needs to come into play at some point. Putting a camera at the bottom of a slope, then hitting people with infringement notices for 3km/h over the limit is a joke. Average speed monitoring would be a far better system IMHO for these tunnels and motorways/freeways.

Offline berlitza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2013, 07:40:42 PM »
Agree with speed cameras and red light cameras but getting booked for doing less than 5km over the speed limit is a friggin joke.

not long finished watching the movie 'the purge' oh what an epic concept to rid anyone that dissagrees with me or the moron that i saw not too long ago that must have been doin 100 in a school area, grrrrr
All my life, I thought air was free...until I bought a bag of chips

Offline Pirate_Pete

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2013, 08:18:47 PM »

Speed cameras (which they were originally called until someone went **** the lemmings are onto us! Change their name) on the bottom of hills, and on wide open spaces are a joke... Why not have them in school zones? Why not have them in back streets?

WHY HAVE THEM HIDING IN THE BUSHES?

Sending someone a fine in 7-14 days is not going to save anybodys life - Fact. If Im driving down the Oxley Hwy out from Walcha heading to Gingers today doing 290kph on my bike, sending me a fine in 14 days wont have slowed me down 14 days ago. Am I right? simple Yes or No.
Wheres the logic?

I agree with Lost on this one. . . . .

What you need is a big burly copper pulling you up & waving his book at you to make any diffrence. A naughty note in the mail a few weeks after the fact aint working. . . . .

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2013, 08:53:33 PM »
Do the crime do the time. I get knocked off for speeding I pay the fine. Yep I'll be pi$$ed and probably blame everyone but I'll be most pi$$ed at myself.

You cannot make it harder for people to get their licence. Why? Because it would be against human rights. Human Rights Charter,  what a bloody joke.  ;D

I reckon its too easy to get a license and too easy to keep it. This might be a bit of my "job hat" coming into the conversation but why don't you have to be re-tested for a license? You get a license when you are 18 and thats it. Surely you should have to re-sit a test at set periods to prove you can still drive safely? That would have save my dad having a number of accidents as they would have takens his license years ago. If someone has to continually prove they are competent to use a power saw, then shouldn't a car/truck/bus/bike be the same?

The other thing I think should happen is GPS trackers in P platers cars, and anyone who has a "hoon" reputation. If there is such a problem with young drivers and "hoons", then track them. Make it compulsory to download the data weekly and any breaches are dealt with. If you have nothing to hide, wouldn't be a problem.

Well that my 2.2c (GST) anyway.
SWMBO reminds me of a Prodigy song....
Driving - Mighty 89 2.8td Rodeo
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

Offline Azz

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2013, 11:55:02 AM »
If the light is green and there are vehicles approaching from the opposite direction, you should move forward into the intersection past the STOP line if you can do so safely. If there is a safe gap in oncoming traffic, you may complete the turn. If you are in the intersection and the oncoming traffic continues until the lights turn yellow or red, you must complete the turn on the yellow or red light.
From http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Queensland-road-rules/Road-rules-refresher/Traffic-lights.aspx

It is also covered in the Australia Road Rules - Rule 58 deals with when a driver does not have to stop for a red traffic light.

(5)         If the traffic lights or traffic arrows (as the case may be) change to yellow or red while the driver is stopped and the driver has entered the intersection, the driver must leave the intersection as soon as the driver can do so safely.

Based on rule 58, you could have submitted a written dispute to the infringement notice and had the penalty revoked.

- - - - - - - - - - -
The big issue I have with fixed and hidden speed cameras is the now constant need to watch the speedo instead of focusing on traffic conditions around the vehicle. Driving in the Sydney Harbour Tunnel and the Lane Cove Tunnel are two of the worst locations as they both have significant inclines, so it is very easy to pick up speed and creep over the limit. Moreso if you are towing a reasonable load. I find that when driving in these locations, I spend more time worrying about the speed I'm doing that watching for the actions of other drivers (who are also distracted by their speed monitoring).

I'm not sure how they allow for a compromise without it being open to abuse, but commonsense needs to come into play at some point. Putting a camera at the bottom of a slope, then hitting people with infringement notices for 3km/h over the limit is a joke. Average speed monitoring would be a far better system IMHO for these tunnels and motorways/freeways.

Why didn't I know you back then  :'(

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2013, 01:06:36 PM »

The other thing I think should happen is GPS trackers in P platers cars, and anyone who has a "hoon" reputation. If there is such a problem with young drivers and "hoons", then track them. Make it compulsory to download the data weekly and any breaches are dealt with. If you have nothing to hide, wouldn't be a problem.

Great idea.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2013, 01:19:35 PM »
Quote from: Pirate_Pete
What you need is a big burly copper pulling you up & waving his book at you to make any diffrence. .
Yep, that worked for decades, ... Ray Warren or Rex Messup TV Commentator  used to tell story of when they were kids, the local Sgt dragging them home with a kick up the arse then their dad would give em one too.. ahhhhh the good days when you could punish your kids for ****ing up....
But with the lowering and lowering and dropping and lowering of entry requirements to be a cop these days cause nobody wants to be one, they are few and far between.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2013, 06:48:31 PM »

Not quite right. If you stop after the stop line, you may not have necessarily entered the intersection.  The intersection is where the cross traffic would run into you.  The stop line, pedestrian crossing area and maybe another half a metre or so are not the intersection.  Basically a car could be here and has to stay. 
Red light cameras in vic are supposed to detect both axles going over the sensor, which is after the stop line.  It takes 2 photos to be valid. 

Cameras are good.  They can work a lot faster than a policeman, detecting and processing offenders at a rate a human couldn't possibly work at.  They have made a huge impact on the road toll.

The idea of putting in place after a fatal sounds good, ....... except who will "volunteer" to be the reason for a new camera site?

2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2013, 07:16:06 PM »
The Great Western Highway across the Blue Mountains is the worst road I have travelled on for speed limits. There are constantly work zones etc. to muddy the waters.

The last time I was driving (west to east) I came into a work zone. On the left side of the road was a 40Kph sign, and on the right side of the road was a 60Kph sign. Both intended for my direction of travel.

Further down there was a workzone amrked at 40, the workzone ended and the speed went back to 80, then 50m down the road another work zone and back to 40.

Best way to lose your license is to drive over the mountains via the GWH.

Bunyip

Mate the blue mountains has being like that for the last 25years ( at least)
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2013, 01:48:10 PM »
Quote from: oldmate
Mate the blue mountains has being like that for the last 25years ( at least)
Coming back from Bathurst bike races one year, we had a cop with a speed camera stop - try and get us, jump in take off, go flying past us, stop - try again, - he did that about 4-6 times before giving up...
But you are correct.. Like Roberts Road in Chullora - that was roadworks for about 20 years.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Brucer

• Tent User
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2013, 03:45:45 PM »
Here's one solution proposed by a local radio talk back host http://citynews.com.au/2013/say-goodbye-to-speeding/

I suppose all those posters saying that anyone who exceeds the speed limit deserves to get booked would support such a scheme, after all... same principle applies right?
Outback Campers Birdsville, Nissan Pathfinder R51

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2013, 04:53:15 PM »

Here's one solution proposed by a local radio talk back host http://citynews.com.au/2013/say-goodbye-to-speeding/

I suppose all those posters saying that anyone who exceeds the speed limit deserves to get booked would support such a scheme, after all... same principle applies right?

While I don't know I'd like that idea I do agree that it could work in most circumstances. I gather by your comment that you disagree that if you speed you deserve to be fined?

Sent from the machine that goes..... Bing!

Offline Mallory Black

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2013, 06:22:19 PM »
if I had my way I'd be seriously ramping up red light cameras. being t-boned is no fun.
as for speeding, agree with most posters that there are bigger dangers out there than being 5-10kph over the limit like
drunks
drugs
distractions like texting behind the wheel
dickheads who can't follow basic road rules
and so forth
1998 3.4V6 Prado & homebuilt rear fold soft floor

UIZ733

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2013, 06:35:52 PM »
if I had my way I'd be seriously ramping up red light cameras. being t-boned is no fun.
as for speeding, agree with most posters that there are bigger dangers out there than being 5-10kph over the limit like
drunks
drugs
distractions like texting behind the wheel
dickheads who can't follow basic road rules
and so forth
Very well said!
Just add all the arrogant selfish pricks (and whatever the female version is) who think that rules should not apply to them because they are brilliant drivers and should be allowed to do as they like.

KingBilly

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2013, 06:36:26 PM »
OK, here's a question for everyone.  Prove to me that "speed kills" like all the road safety campaigns claim.   No, I'm not being a smart bottom, I just have a particular view on the subject and am interested if anybody else has that same view.

KB

Offline Brucer

• Tent User
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2013, 06:37:54 PM »
Marcus, Maybe yes, maybe no. At least a policeman can make a judgement on that whereas a speed camera cannot. Why? Because a speed camera is there to raise revenue under the guise of public safety.
The problem with a speed limit is that it upholds the notion that there is a magical number of kph which for a given stretch of road is safe to drive slower and unsafe to drive faster.
Consider all the other variables which are not (and cannot) be taken into account.
- Vehicle. Capability/age/condition
- Driver. Skill/state of mind/health/alertness
- Weather. Rain/hail/snow
- Time of day/Light conditions
- Load/weight/trailer, etc
- Traffic conditions
One can easily recognise that all these factors must figure hugely on the speed that a vehicle can safely be driven, but none of them NONE are part of the speed limit equation. A 90yo man driving a 1975 clapped out Toyota Corona at night in pouring rain and heavy traffic can drive at the limit without breaking the law, and certainly without triggering any speed camera but then along comes Craig Loundes in his late model Holden with ABS and advanced safety features at 5kph over the limit and cops a fine. Which one is the greater risk to public safety?
So no, I don't think that anyone that creeps over the limit deserves a fine, just as I don't think it's true to say that anyone driving under the limit is driving safely.

If slower is safer then why not reduce the limits even further. Let's take it to extreme and say the limit on all roads shall be 1kph and all speeding is punishable with imprisonment. Sound silly? But surely the road toll will be slashed to almost zero. That's lot of lives but yet nobody is proposing this. Why? Because it turns out there is a trade-off between convenience/cost and safety.

And while I'm on my soapbox, have you even noticed that when road accidents are reported they always say "speed was a factor". well duhhh. Of course speed was a factor unless the vehicles were stationary at the time, it had to be. sheesh!
Another one... highway safety signs that say "SLOW DOWN". Why? Do they assume everyone is speeding. If you are already 10kph under the limit and you see this sign, do you still need to slow down. Are you breaking the law if you maintain your speed?

As to the OP's question.. My solution is to use a GPS with speed camera alerts. AFAIK it's the only way, apart from never speeding.
Outback Campers Birdsville, Nissan Pathfinder R51

Marschy

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2013, 06:38:24 PM »
Speed doesn't kill. The sudden stop does.

KingBilly

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2013, 06:41:14 PM »
Think Brucer just answered my question correctly.  Well said.

Speed does not kill.  Or else every race car/bike driver/rider would die.  INAPPROPRIATE speed kills.  Inappropriate speed for the driver's ability/experience/etc.  Inappropriate speed for the vehicle. Inappropriate speed for the weather, road conditions etc.

- Driver. Skill/state of mind/health/alertness/intoxication
- Traffic conditions

But nobody would understand or take notice of a safety campaign along these lines.  They would all think they are experienced and their vehicle is the best and the road isn't really that wet.  So the authorities have to make it simple.  So, no, speed does not kill, but inappropriate speed does.

KB
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 06:48:02 PM by KingBilly »

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2013, 07:11:47 PM »
Marcus, Maybe yes, maybe no. At least a policeman can make a judgement on that whereas a speed camera cannot. Why? Because a speed camera is there to raise revenue under the guise of public safety.
The problem with a speed limit is that it upholds the notion that there is a magical number of kph which for a given stretch of road is safe to drive slower and unsafe to drive faster.
Consider all the other variables which are not (and cannot) be taken into account.
- Driver. Skill/state of mind/health/alertness
- Traffic conditions
One can easily recognise that all these factors must figure hugely on the speed that a vehicle can safely be driven, but none of them NONE are part of the speed limit equation. A 90yo man driving a 1975 clapped out Toyota Corona at night in pouring rain and heavy traffic can drive at the limit without breaking the law, and certainly without triggering any speed camera but then along comes Craig Loundes in his late model Holden with ABS and advanced safety features at 5kph over the limit and cops a fine. Which one is the greater risk to public safety?
So no, I don't think that anyone that creeps over the limit deserves a fine, just as I don't think it's true to say that anyone driving under the limit is driving safely.

If slower is safer then why not reduce the limits even further. Let's take it to extreme and say the limit on all roads shall be 1kph and all speeding is punishable with imprisonment. Sound silly? But surely the road toll will be slashed to almost zero. That's lot of lives but yet nobody is proposing this. Why? Because it turns out there is a trade-off between convenience/cost and safety.

And while I'm on my soapbox, have you even noticed that when road accidents are reported they always say "speed was a factor". well duhhh. Of course speed was a factor unless the vehicles were stationary at the time, it had to be. sheesh!
Another one... highway safety signs that say "SLOW DOWN". Why? Do they assume everyone is speeding. If you are already 10kph under the limit and you see this sign, do you still need to slow down. Are you breaking the law if you maintain your speed?

As to the OP's question.. My solution is to use a GPS with speed camera alerts. AFAIK it's the only way, apart from never speeding.

Some really good points there that I defiantly agree with. My main point is that if you know what the limit is and choose to go over it and I'm not talking about 5 - 10kph, then drivers should be aware of the consequences. I think I may have taken some of your other post the wrong way and apologise. It's one of those what I read is not necessarily what you meant moments. I couldn't agree more with your comment regarding police officer vs camera though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD