Author Topic: Zipper Maintenance  (Read 8683 times)

Offline JCAT

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live for today, you may not be here tomorrow.
Zipper Maintenance
« on: October 14, 2013, 06:03:42 PM »
On our last couple of trips I have had a couple of issues with the zipper on the camper trailers cover not zipping up properly. The teeth don't always mesh together and the zip remains open.

I have to go back and forward a number of times to get it to zip up. On my last pack up in Dubbo I reckon I wasted 15 minutes trying to get it completely done up.

I had some candle wax amongst my goodies and applied liberally, it helped but certainly didn't solve the issue. (It was ice cold)

What seemed to work best was pushing the bottom (fixed) half of the zippers teeth in so it was coming from behind the top half of the zip (section attached to the campers cover) while working the zipper to do it up.

This last happened on our trip up the Oodnadatta Track when it was always really dusty. I gave it a wash at home but it was still hard to do up.

There are no teeth missing from the zip.

What if any preventative maintenance should I be doing to my zip or is it just stuffed?
2018 Prado GXL
2017 Vista Crossover XL

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Zipper Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 06:52:20 PM »
Does yours seem to have 1/2 the teeth pointing 'outwards' what I mean is both halves teeth don't sorta look at each other? Mine does the same, always has.. didn't feel like getting abused again so didn't complain.

I do have an issue where if I set up the tent, peg it down etc with the doors unzipped and the storm flap on the door unzipped, when I go to close it at night, theres no way in hell it will close. the ends end up being too far apart..

Anwyay I'll be interested to hear the zipper info. It may help me with WW43 and the annexe.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline JCAT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 06:59:50 PM »
I just over waxed it (heaps) then wiped some off, then wiped it with a wet towel, then a dry towel. By pushing the bottom half under the top half, it zipped well. Just a tiny problem when it came to the last inch. It did close right up though. I may have to get it  out and get the pressure washer right onto it and blow any crap out. It used to work fine when it was sparkling clean.

Was going to silicone spray it but didn't have any.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
2018 Prado GXL
2017 Vista Crossover XL

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 07:02:17 PM »
Couple of ideas

https://www.whitworths.com.au/print_friendly.asp?strItem=50018
http://www.bronzemoonoutdoors.com.au/online-shop/mcnett-max-wax-zipper-lubricant
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline JCAT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 07:06:04 PM »
Thanks D4D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
2018 Prado GXL
2017 Vista Crossover XL

Offline Lemo79

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 07:37:21 PM »
Won't take responsibility for this, because I have Broken zips doing this, but I find the only way to get them to start working again is to use a pair of pointy nose pliers and gently squeeze the sides of the zip closed a bit more. Does make it firmer to zip but doesn't leave it unzipped behind you. Just recently had to do it on my 10 year old engel transit cover, works great now, just a bit firm.

Lemo.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 09:00:55 PM »
A liberal dose of silicon spray will make a world of difference. If you haven't used before, give a good squirt along the zipper then open and close a few times. After that give it all another good squirt. If you are camping near the sea, make sure you spray the zips at least once a week during the trip. Spray again when you come home before you put it away.
I have only sprayed our CT once since we have owned it (onlY had it a few months) but silicone spray has kept zippers alive on our tents, storage devices and bags for years. CT zips can't be any different.

Offline markg66

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • yippee ki yay MF
    • Murrumba Pistol Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 09:08:55 PM »
I also use silicone spray but not directly, I use a 10cent baby tooth brush from the warehouse (10 for $1, also use them for cleaning my pistols), spray the silicone lube on the toothbrush first and brush it on, stops the over-spray on your canvas etc.
Jayco 2000 Eagle Outback.
If it isn't 50% off it aint a discount.

Offline @fnq4now

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 09:31:23 PM »
Had the same issue in WA last year. Silicone spray worked but only for while. If the teeth are nylon the the actual zip part metal, get a quote on having it replaced. You might be pleasantly surprised.
"The problem with common sense is that it's just not very common."

Offline Sawed-Off

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 07:09:29 AM »
Won't take responsibility for this, because I have Broken zips doing this, but I find the only way to get them to start working again is to use a pair of pointy nose pliers and gently squeeze the sides of the zip closed a bit more. Does make it firmer to zip but doesn't leave it unzipped behind you. Just recently had to do it on my 10 year old engel transit cover, works great now, just a bit firm.

Lemo.

I've done the same, except I used multi-grips.
Matt.

Rootin', Tootin', & Shootin'. It's the Cowboy Way.

'97 HZJ80R Land Cruiser Dual Cab
'05 Tambo "The Cooper" : Nights used - 2015: 13  2014: 34  2013: 36  2012: 31

Offline ScottT

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Random acts of kindness without expectations
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 07:19:08 AM »

I do have an issue where if I set up the tent, peg it down etc with the doors unzipped and the storm flap on the door unzipped, when I go to close it at night, theres no way in hell it will close. the ends end up being too far apart..

Leave these zipped closed when setting up Lost, that way they'll close at night. I only ever leave the end awning open in the tent area, this allows the trapped air to expel out (ignore me if I'm pointing out the obvious !) when packing up and setting up.

Cheers, Scott
2005 Toyota Prado 1KZ 120 Series
2008 Customline 12ft Deluxe Off Road

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 10:10:46 AM »
Quote from: Toddy_1
Leave these zipped closed when setting up Lost, that way they'll close at night. I only ever leave the end awning open in the tent area, this allows the trapped air to expel out (ignore me if I'm pointing out the obvious !) when packing up and setting up.

Cheers, Scott
yea, leant that one long ago... Although I've done it once or twice since when not thinking clearly... like when the kids are trying to help, or arguing, or its sunny, or its cloudy or.... :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline fridayman

• Tent User
    • TRIP TALES
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 12:07:26 PM »

I've done the same, except I used multi-grips.

I do the same with any old pliers. I try not too squeeze too hard as it is easy to do it again but can be annoying if the zip is too stiff.

Offline tweed prado

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 03:07:26 PM »
When the zipper on my cover strarted sticking and getting stiff I started using candle wax. So when I get home and wash the trailer I let it dry then run the wax along all the teeth when open and run the zipper along it a couple of times. Since I started doing this no Drama. Just a thought but it sounds like something could be damaged or out of line. :) :-\

Offline Adrian_connor

• Swag User
  • Young family with two kids, coastal campers
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 07:25:43 PM »
Will the silicon damage the canvas or anything else?
Do more camping.
2012 Prado
2013 LIFESTYLE WALK-THROUGH DELUXE

Offline JCAT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 01:19:12 PM »

Lemo.

Lemo you are the winner.

I brought some silicone spray and gave it a good squirt, run  it open and closed a few times and while it certainly opened nice and easily it didn't make any real difference when closing it up.

Out came the pointy nosed pliers and I gave it a squeeze at the larger end of the zip on both sides. Oh no. The friggin thing wouldn't zip more than a few inches without coming open.

Had a good think about it and squeezed the back end of the zip on both sides (had to have a bit of the zip open behind it to allow this - not a problem as it wouldn't close anyway)

What do you know, just like new, especially with a squirt of silicone to slide on.

Thanks to everyone, especially Lemo.
2018 Prado GXL
2017 Vista Crossover XL

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 01:22:49 PM »
I have had great success by using a pair of multi-grips and closing each side a little. Yea, it was a  tight for a few ups and downs but then all good for another year.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 01:30:53 PM »
We only used the zip once and don't bother anymore, out top has Velcro all the way around below the zip line and 3 bungee point on each side.
A couple a straps to stop it ballooning.
The one time we did use the zip it was obvious to me that it would fail at some stage.