Author Topic: TOUR GUIDES  (Read 5346 times)

Offline bert56

• Soft Floor Camper User
TOUR GUIDES
« on: December 07, 2010, 06:08:56 PM »
Hi all, I'm thinking about going to the cape with a tour guide and am wondering if any fellow members have done this and can recommend a guide. What costs am I looking at and what will it cover?
BERT

Offline Yoda42

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Beagle kisses don't grow hair
    • Travels With Beagles Blog
Re: TOUR GUIDES
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 06:32:17 PM »
We'll be your guide, 50 large in a paper bag oughtta do it ;D

It'll be a really good northwards pointing technique, a slap on the back and a "you'll be right". Worth every cent 8)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 2 beagles & an Lifestyle Reconn
http://travelswithbeagles.blogspot.com

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 07:30:08 PM »
Get hold of Ron & Viv Moon Adventures guide to Cape York , it Will become your dashboard companion  . Read it ,  understand it , use it . What ever the guide will cost send me 25 0/0 as a token of operation for my info  ( Or not ) You don't need a guide as such . You will meet people in transit & end up traveling with them , meeting new friends  ;D
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 07:35:14 PM »
bert,

Seriously, if you want a "wham bam, thank you mam" experience of the cape, the tour guide experience is for you - especially if you only have a very limited time frame.

If, on the other hand, you want to take your time I would recommend against it, as spewa said, get some guides & read them.

If you are worried about tackling the cape by yourself, start a thread here or elsewhere stating when you are going etc, you will probably get a group.

Or lob into one of the caravan parks in Cairns, throw out that you are looking to tag along with some people, who knows who you will meet.

Lastly, do it yourself but when you get to a difficult bit, water crossing etc, just have a cuppa & wait for someone else to come along, I'm sure they will keep an eye on you etc.

All the best,

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline 2Psinapatrol

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 08:34:09 PM »
We did a tag along to the cape. We found it good that we didn't really have to plan much just follow the leader. We were also not required to be has prepared as if we were going ourselves they was alway help near by. Depending on the company you may get taken places that not everyone can get permits for.
The problems with doing a tag along as mention above is to have to go where the group goes. Not much in the way of flexibility. And as usual they is always someone in the group that annoyed the S@#t out of you.

We recommend if you do one try and find one that is fully catered. It is worth every cent. Make the time away so stress free.
Our trip was for 22 days leaving and returning from to Atherton.
The cost was around $5000 for the two of us.

We are now planing our 2nd trip to the cape. But not as part of a tag. Because we have been up once we know what to expect. We will be taking this trip a lot slower than the last.
Never ending.
1992 Ford Maverick Turbo Diesel
True Blue camper trailer. Old school but it does the job.

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 10:52:22 AM »
Next year will be my fourth trip to the Cape. Guides are good if you just want to tagalong but the way I do the trips is to let people decide what they want to do as long as they are at a certain location that day. I allow extra days at places such as Twin Falls of they can camp at the Jardine for the extra night. Everyones taste is different

You can spend months at the Cape and still not see everything.  

Damn I don't charge a thing.... $5000 per car x 13....mmmm that's a lot of beer.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 03:31:59 PM »
We did a 3 week tag along of Cape York 7 years ago and while initially it looked expensive it was great for us. After looking into buying extra recovery gear, bigger fridges/freezers to hold the quality of food they provide, pay for camping permits, camping fees, barge fees etc it wasn’t that expensive after all.

The pro’s are

• None of our friends wanted to join us on the trip and we didn’t want to do it alone.
• We took a food option, so they carry all the food and cooking equipment, plus they do all the cooking. So after a long day, you set up your tent and sit back and relax over a couple of beers and wait for dinner. Also have to say we ate like kings and if by ourselves couldn’t have had the same standard of food.
• Recovery gear/Sat phone etc was supplied.
• On the difficult parts of the track it’s just like being in a 4WD training session because they go through and explain how to get through safely. So I learnt lots.
• Our tour guide is a qualified mechanic and has current first aide certificates.
• They know lots of information about the area you are entering and give good background information.  Also you get access to private land and see things the ‘public don’t’

The con’s are

• You have no control on what you see or where you go
• You have a set to a pre determined schedule
• You will always have one idiot in the tour

I remember one creek we had to drive in and up the actual creek and drive upstream for 20m and then around a blind corner to exit. This creek was headlight depth in the direction we went, so if you didn’t know anything about this creek you wouldn’t have known where the exit was. Therefore if you picked the wrong way and went downstream, it would have meant driving into a deep hole with no way out. 

Overall it worked for us, but it’s not for everyone. Also all Tag Alongs companies aren’t equal, so homework on the company is essential.

Hope this helps

Offline 2 Brutal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 08:29:19 PM »
If you are interested in a Tag along, give this guy a call 

http://www.trek4wdsafaris.com.au/index.html

He's based in Hervey Bay, and we do a lot of the work on his 4wd's setting them up for the tours, he has just today picked up brand new Isuzu 4WD dual cab truck as his lead vehicle. 8)
I spent the weekend on Fraser Island with him and a group of other travellers only 3 weeks ago and the thing that sealed it for me was the no dishes, no cooking, just wash your own plate and cutlery, put your plate out when it's dinner time and let them fill it up.
Same goes for brekky and lunch, wake up in the morning, brekkies ready, off you go with plate in hand :cup: :cup:
The Mrs wants to do a Kimberely trip with him, but we can't spare the time at present.
Tell him Ashley from Coastal 4x4 recommended him, and he'll look after you.
Custom made stone guards and boat loaders for Jayco Outbacks and more.

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 08:55:40 PM »
Not that I would use them as I go away to not be with others to much and I don't like the idea of being controlled, that's just me - but I see the benefits from those that do tours up here in the Kimberly. The staff (where my wife works) at the Broome visitors Centre get a few free ones now and then and on the whole, the  tour thing seems a good thing to do. I'm sure the Cape would be the same.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline coffs camping

• Tent User
  • We are three - Mum, Ms.15 and Mr.9
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 09:56:47 PM »
Hi All,

So, this leaves the big question ...  Is anyone planning a trip to the Cape in 2011 and want some company? My kids and I planned to do it in 2009 but life got in the way. We would be interested in tagging along with like minded CT owners (as opposed to a Tag-Along tour). We are self sufficient and have done other big trips. The idea of meeting new people, "safety in numbers" and flexibility appeal to me. I'll leave it out there ...

J
Love weekend camping whenever we can in our 2002 Cub Spacematic (Transcontinental Pack) with the 80series LC. See you out there!! J

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 12:25:28 AM »
We will be doing the Cape next year as are the Swaggers on the forum.. Under the travel section you will see the 2011 Cape York heading and there are a few threads under that...As an example we have planned our trip to be *around* the same time as the Swaggers (Frostd and Us - Steveand Viv) but we have some more time than they so we won't follow exactly their schedule. Of course the fun thing is, as I noted, about being your own schedule maker to changes as you want. So, we hope to criss cross paths with the Swaggers group as we go a lot. We will, as they have done, book certain parts of the trip where accommodation is harder to get - or the good stuff is anyway. You would be welcome to do the same in that we will always be chatting with all the others up and around the Cape at that time and when it suites join in.. I think it's fair to say not every one gets along all the time for long trips and we are gong with a family that we consider best friends, we only have a few best friends like most but you meet new people all the time and for reasons we never know get on like a house on fire, we hope to do the same up the Cape. We expect to meet some great folks going by the banter on this site an a lot of hangovers.

You should look to come along at around the same time if you feel you would like a bit of support for either some of the tougher bits or even just company. I suppose the thing is there are a lot of like minded people doing this trip so you will never be alone if you get stuck or need help - well, not for long anyway and many do, but also leave your self the option to cruise off alone when you need a break from the team

Anyway I hope some of the above makes sense

Steve
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 06:41:44 AM »
Hi All,

So, this leaves the big question ...  Is anyone planning a trip to the Cape in 2011 and want some company? My kids and I planned to do it in 2009 but life got in the way. We would be interested in tagging along with like minded CT owners (as opposed to a Tag-Along tour). We are self sufficient and have done other big trips. The idea of meeting new people, "safety in numbers" and flexibility appeal to me. I'll leave it out there ...

J

Give me a call on 0407 287 620 regarding the My Swag Cape York 2011 trip.

Mark

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 06:59:46 AM »
Myself i would rather have broken glass stuck up my but than go with a tour guide. Please don't be afraid of the cape. There seems to be some secret oath everyone signs to tell people its like some camel safari or something. Its just dirt roads with heaps of people. On the bypass rd you will see normal cars, big road caravans etc. Even the otl is only 80k of medium 4wd with a few creek crossings. On a tour you will travel all day in dust and get stuck with some dope who you normally wouldn't associate with and always be crowded. As stated buy Ron Moons book. read a few posts on here, send a few pm's and spend the money you were going to give to some knob with a hat with crocodile teeth around it on yourself.
 If you can drive a car, read, set up a tent and feed your self then you are qualified to drive to the cape.

Living the Dream.

Offline kranky al

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • theeee winaaaaaaar
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 08:42:09 AM »
Myself i would rather have broken glass stuck up my but than go with a tour guide. Please don't be afraid of the cape. There seems to be some secret oath everyone signs to tell people its like some camel safari or something. Its just dirt roads with heaps of people. On the bypass rd you will see normal cars, big road caravans etc. Even the otl is only 80k of medium 4wd with a few creek crossings. On a tour you will travel all day in dust and get stuck with some dope who you normally wouldn't associate with and always be crowded. As stated buy Ron Moons book. read a few posts on here, send a few pm's and spend the money you were going to give to some knob with a hat with crocodile teeth around it on yourself.
 If you can drive a car, read, set up a tent and feed your self then you are qualified to drive to the cape.
  This.

And remember, deep water creek crossings are easy.

1. Reverse vehicle into creek for 2 metres.
2. Drive out fast
3. Sit on bank enjoy lunch
4. When the next vehicle comes along tell them it's easy
5. Watch them to see if it's actually possible
6. Do the crossing if they make it or take the chicken track if not

if nissan made a prop plane using the zd30 - would you fly in it?

if fishing were easy it would be called "your mum"

www.pixelpac.com.au

Offline coffs camping

• Tent User
  • We are three - Mum, Ms.15 and Mr.9
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 09:09:38 AM »
Give me a call on 0407 287 620 regarding the My Swag Cape York 2011 trip.

Mark

Will do, expect to hear from me ... J
Love weekend camping whenever we can in our 2002 Cub Spacematic (Transcontinental Pack) with the 80series LC. See you out there!! J

Offline Marie_R

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 02:47:52 PM »
I'd like to second Beachman's post - was going to write something similar but he got there first.

We did it in 2006 with 'Guides to Adventure' and loved every minute of it.  Of course the company has changed hands now and the guide we had has retired so can't tell you it's the same now as I don't know.

We also did the Canning Stock Route with the same company.  Having done these two trips we are now a lot more confident of going places on our own, but at the same time we've made some good friends out of the tag-along trips and would do it again if we could afford it.

If you've got plenty of experience I'd say Cape York would be okay on your own as there's plenty of people around up there, although the road conditions and creek crossings are different every year I guess so that could change things.

Our tour guide wasn't sticking to a rigid plan - there had been a bad cyclone and some tracks were still closed, so he was sort of "making it up as we go along" but because he knew the cape so well he was able to take us somewhere interesting if we couldn't get to the usual places on the itinerary.

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 05:25:22 PM »
It depends what people are looking for in a holiday if they are confident in doing trips by themselves or would prefer an organised trip.

Doing the Cape is not that hard. It has a stigma due to the amount of publicity it gets. The only parts are the OTL that as mentioned vary every year depending on the wet season. Crossings such as gunshot , palm creek and logans creek have the reputation of being the hardest crossings. Careful planning and driving sensibly will see a safe crossing being done.

In the years I have travelled the Cape I have seen many stupid drivers just going beyond a vehicles capability and getting into trouble making their holiday very expensive.

Like all tracks and roads drive to conditions. I once had a tag a long group over take me on the dirt to get to a place by a set time nearly causing an accident. I know this does not happen often but to me if I miss a place I can always come back to it.

When planning the Cape Trip I allow plenty of time at places, allow comfortable travelling times and extra time on the way back to revisit some places or visit places missed.

What one person likes may not suit another person. There are some places at the Cape that are in my opinion not worth visiting but thats me. Each to their own as long as you enjoy it thats the main thing.       

Offline 2Psinapatrol

• Swag User
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 08:33:57 PM »
I'd like to second Beachman's post - was going to write something similar but he got there first.

We did it in 2006 with 'Guides to Adventure' and loved every minute of it.  Of course the company has changed hands now and the guide we had has retired so can't tell you it's the same now as I don't know.

We also did our trip with guides to Adventure in 2009. Was great trip. I am assuming you had Len and Dot as your guides. It was there last trip with our group. Could not meet nicer people and what Dot could cook on the camp firer was truly amazing.
Never ending.
1992 Ford Maverick Turbo Diesel
True Blue camper trailer. Old school but it does the job.

Offline bert56

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 09:42:42 AM »
Mark, how are the numbers going for the 2011 my swag cape trip.

I hope to go in the June/July school holidays and may see you somewhere along the way, if thats when you are going.

Look out for a maroon BT50 dual cab.

BERT

Offline trek 4wd safaris

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 06:47:10 PM »
I thought id duck in here since a few people have had a look at my website directly from this thread in the forum.

i'm happy to give some info to forum people who do want to go it alone, and the cape is both on of my favorite places and a great place to travel SLOW.

a lot of people get turned of when they see my tour is 21 days but thats the least amount of time i think you need to spend to get a good idea of what the cape is like. As for being prepared any stock large 4wd will do the trip fine. heck you can even get up there in a family sedan on the PDR during the dry.

places not to miss include vrilya and albany passage which are foten overlooked, dont forget your jardine ferrry ticket pays any camping on dogit land :cup:

Offline bert56

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 06:28:32 PM »
At the moment my bt50 dual cab has a rear arb locker, tjm bar, tigerz11 winch, snorkle, driving lights, side steps come sliders, canopy, dual batteries. I also have a fair collection of recovery gear.

I intend to fit larger tyres than standard, home made draws and get a 2" lift.

Trek 4wd safaris, what else do you think is required?

Bert

Offline trek 4wd safaris

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 07:01:54 PM »
Shock absorbers and i think you'll be covered.

I dont know the tigerz winch personally but the only place in the cape you will likely use it is the OTL which is getting easier every year.

Offline Timbo2002

• Swag User
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 09:47:07 AM »
Trek 4wd safaris,

Where is this albany Passage that you speak off and what is there to be seen / appreciated? We have done 2 trips to the cape and planing another this year in June (1 week after the arranged forum trip) As this is a take in slow trip and stopping at less place's for longer i am keen to know more. Varilia is already on the list for another visit and Albany passage could be an option.

Help is appreciated.