Author Topic: Caravan faults - eye opener  (Read 12864 times)

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Caravan faults - eye opener
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2010, 09:13:30 AM »
Geeze, I'd definitely be doing inspections mid-build on any van I was considering now! Those photos make me want to go out to the garage and give my beautifully-built camper a big hug. In fact, excuse me........ 8)
Set your chickens free

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2010, 09:19:33 AM »
The gentleman speaks of "Magnetic flux in this van almost totally destroyed any decent TV signal" when the coax was near the other wiring.

Can someone explain this to me? Is he just referring to the electrical interference from the 12 or 240v wires? If so how far away from 12/240v wiring should a coax cable be? Id imagine in a house it would be common to have tv antenna coax near 240v wires.
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2010, 10:31:10 AM »
The gentleman speaks of "Magnetic flux in this van almost totally destroyed any decent TV signal" when the coax was near the other wiring.

Can someone explain this to me? Is he just referring to the electrical interference from the 12 or 240v wires? If so how far away from 12/240v wiring should a coax cable be? Id imagine in a house it would be common to have tv antenna coax near 240v wires.

He doesn't know what he is talking about to be quite frank.

You do need to segregate the coax from 240V cables, but it is more for safety than interference reasons.  What would be causing RFI is anything with a switchmode power supply in it - so it could have been a computer, battery charger, etc.

They also said the damage was done from a surge or lightning strike... I mean come on...
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2010, 10:37:58 AM »

This is quite common if anyone is using a flux capacitor nearby... Keep an eye out for delorians..
Living the Dream.

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2010, 10:53:19 AM »
This is quite common if anyone is using a flux capacitor nearby... Keep an eye out for delorians..

Bugger, I have flux capacitors everywhere near my coax cable........:)
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2010, 11:02:37 AM »
I would try/avoid running any cables (240v) near a coax cable. Whilst, coax is shielded with the shield to earth to stop/minimise noise generated by the electromagnetic field created by electricity running through the cable it is still possible to get noise/interference. If you can avoid running coax near power cables the better to stop this generated noise appearing completely....
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline deepop

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Living the dream.
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2010, 12:22:14 PM »
Great link this one.

I had no idea these problems were common in the caravan world.

Thank God for my C/T!
Manual petrol 105 series 'cruiser.
Aust. trailers semi off road trailer with Southern Cross Canvas tent, water, gas, kitchen and other stuff.

Offline JustCruzin

• No one has ever gone blind from looking on the bright side of life
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2010, 06:10:20 PM »
Im glad we got to see our new van in a few differnt stages. And glad we have an alloy frame .
1988 GQ Patrol called "True Blue", winch, front air locker, heat exchange, rear air bag assisted suspension, long range tank, drawer system, engel, dual battery, roof rack, LED light bar etc

2007 Trackabout Tourer, drifta swing out kitchen, full annex

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2010, 06:21:24 PM »
Ally frames don't rot but they do crack
http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12286&start=20#p177242

I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2010, 09:58:25 PM »
Every time I look on that page I wonder how the people that paid good money for a van, feel about getting those repairs done.

Offline JustCruzin

• No one has ever gone blind from looking on the bright side of life
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2010, 08:31:23 PM »
There are alot off cheap vans out there and very poorly made. Im not saying ours won't crack. But There is alot more ally in ours compared to the Kedron vans. There are alot of vans out there that call them off road untell u read the fine print. It just pays to do your reasearch before putting the money on the table.
1988 GQ Patrol called "True Blue", winch, front air locker, heat exchange, rear air bag assisted suspension, long range tank, drawer system, engel, dual battery, roof rack, LED light bar etc

2007 Trackabout Tourer, drifta swing out kitchen, full annex