Author Topic: Camping on Moreton Island - Comboyuro Point  (Read 11429 times)

Offline GS

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The hand the turns the doorknob, opens the door...
Camping on Moreton Island - Comboyuro Point
« on: September 30, 2010, 08:51:51 AM »
Hi all, new to this great forum but not too new to camping and outdoors.

We have a 120 Series D4D Prado and a Camel Bushman camper trailer.

Planning a trip to Moreton Island in Queensland prior to Christmas and would love some feedback.

Been viewing the great trip reports, love all the photos and comments, thanks to those members for sharing their holidays. We are looking forward to visiting the island again. I have not been to Moreton for about 18 years, unfortunately due to the normal youthful activities my recollection is slightly cloudy.

Sam and I are taking our 3 and 6 year old and are looking to getting away for about a week and a half.

Have been considering Comboyuro Point as it has showers and amenities and the beach is clear of 4WD traffic (peace of mind for the midgets)

Would appreciate any input/feedback on this campground, facilities, fishing, swimming and photos if you have any. The DERM site is great but there is nothing like feedback from like minded folk.

Thanks

Grant

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Camping on Moreton Island - Comboyuro Point
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 10:04:45 AM »
Hi Grant,

This is actually freaking me out a bit. My brother's name is Grant, and his wife is Sam, and they've got 3 little ones, about the same age as your 2. Why is it funny? Well, we all went to Moreton at Christmas time last year...  ;D ;D

Here's the link to our trip: http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=4951.0 - but it sounds like you've already probably seen it.

We stayed at the Blue Lagoon campsite, and I'd highly recommend it. It's actually quite a big site, and the amenities block was quite good. We camped down near the walkway through to the lagoon, and it was really very handy. If I was going to go back, I'd go to the same place. To be honest we didn't spend much time in the beach, but swum in the lagoon at least twice a day - it was excellent. Very safe for kidlets there as well.

You don't want to go to North Point campground - it's very open (IE, you can see EVERYONE else!), and the actual sites are fenced off from the road, so there's no way you'd get a camper onto any of the sites. I'm not sure if the DERM site mentions that now - it certainly didn't when we went.

Comboyuro Point is on the western side of the island, up near Bulwer. When we were there, the area around Bulwer was always very busy. On the upside, you're nice and close to the shop, etc. I'd be concerned about midgies/mozzies/sandflies on the western side of the island though - over on the east you get the sea breeze, and it seems to keep them away. The Rocks had quite bad mozzies when we were there - everyone had mozzie nets and midge-proof gazebos up. Also, while we were there, there were a LOT of sealice in the water on the western side, both up at Bulwer, and down near The Rocks where the barge arrives. I've no idea if that was normal though, having only ever been there the once.

All that said, we didn't actually stay there, so I can't comment on the campground itself. It is a bit away from Bulwer, which is nice, but still close enough that everything's handy. The ambulance & helipad are at Bulwer, so if you're accident-prone like me, that's probably a good thing!!! :)

All in all, we had a blast, and the kids really enjoyed themselves. The island is excellent to explore, we could have done with a couple more days, and we had pretty packed days as it was.

Good luck - it's a great place to visit, and I'm sure you'll have an awesome time!

Thanks!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 11:13:43 AM »
Now the barge 'Combi Trader' from Scarborough no longer operates, I would guess it ‘s probably now quiet around Bulwer/Comboyuro Point. That along with no longer being able to drive up the beach from Bulwer to Yellow Patch it might be a good place to camp with small kids.

So it means you need to Micat to Tangalooma and use the beach/inland tracks to Bulwer.

The toilet/showers were pretty clean last time I visited the camp grounds to collect water, but if no breeze it could get hot and be prone to mozzies. (But that comment also cover the whole island)

Very nice place, just a shame the barge/beach permits are so expensive.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 12:20:18 PM by Beachman »

Offline chisel

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle Extenda 2012, Landcruiser 100 TD 2006
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 11:43:43 AM »
Now the barge 'Combi Trader' from Scarborough no longer operates, I would guess it ‘s probably now quiet around Bulwer/Comboyuro Point. That along with no longer being able to drive up the beach to Yellow Patch (Western Beach) it might be a good place to camp with small kids.

So it means you need to Micat to Tangalooma and use the beach/inland tracks to Bulwer.

The micat goes to bulwer once a week, I think (Tuesday?) but it isn't that hard to get from tangalooma to bulwer/comboyuro.
You can still drive up the western beach from Tangalooma but there are bypasses for Cowan Cowan and Comboyuro point. 
It is technically possible to get along from tailor bite to yellow patch/north point too but depends on tide and the timber there and how wet you want to get the car :)  Best to take the inland track.

Anyway, I don't know much about Comboyuro point camping except that it can get busy and won't be nearly as private/secluded as the eastern beach campsites, or some of the other western beach spots.  But if you want dunnies I guess it's a good choice.
We always stay on the eastern side, usually up near blue lagoon but not in the actual blue lagoon zone.  Blue lagoon is fantastic for the kids.

Offline JustCruzin

• No one has ever gone blind from looking on the bright side of life
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 06:00:25 PM »
It is a great spot went there every year for about 5 years. good fishing off the beach. it is also an easy drive up the beach .
1988 GQ Patrol called "True Blue", winch, front air locker, heat exchange, rear air bag assisted suspension, long range tank, drawer system, engel, dual battery, roof rack, LED light bar etc

2007 Trackabout Tourer, drifta swing out kitchen, full annex

Offline GS

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 01:21:45 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

Matto, when I read your trip report before I posted I thought that is was a little weird as well that you had a Sam and Grant with you. Middle Road looked a piece of cake for you to get across, how was it with the CT on the way back and how long did it take to travel it?

Thanks for opening up my options as camping at Blue Lagoon looks great, the lake looks just right for the kids (and the big kids).

The price of the car ferry is ridiculous, Over $440 to get there and back. A lot of campers would think twice before forking out for that, would rule out a weekend escape for us.

Would still love some photos and feed back for Comboyuro Camping area.

Thanks

Grant

Offline 98Pudge

• Swag User
  • It's no go, unless it's a Pajero!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 04:51:05 PM »
Think I've got atleast one photo...

Ahhh ha.. this is directly out front the Comboyuro point camp area, we were to busy looking at the bay to reccie the camp grounds!

The grounds are secluded away in the casuarina trees, so sheltered well, but with pools of water laying around I'd say an eleviated possibility of midgies, especially with these weather patterns persisting.

Goodluck either way!
-GR.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 09:59:59 PM by 98Pudge »
-Cheers

Offline GS

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 09:26:51 PM »
Hi Just Cruizin,

I love the Idea of being able to duck off for a quick fish and also fish with the kids, which is a damn site easier when not havingto watch out for traffic as well. How was the fishing out from the camp.

Mosquitos and sand fly's might be an issue though

Grant

Offline 98Pudge

• Swag User
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 10:17:07 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

Matto, when I read your trip report before I posted I thought that is was a little weird as well that you had a Sam and Grant with you. Middle Road looked a piece of cake for you to get across, how was it with the CT on the way back and how long did it take to travel it?

Middle Road was about 1/2 hour I suppose, it was beginning to be graded on our last day, it was slow going 40km/h at best, but we did see a Forester dozing along!

Thanks for opening up my options as camping at Blue Lagoon looks great, the lake looks just right for the kids (and the big kids).

You can't go past Blue Lagoon, the water is a sweet tea flavour and washes the salt off and cools you down at the end of a long day... heavenly!
(I'm getting distracted just thinking 'bout it! ;D)

The price of the car ferry is ridiculous, Over $440 to get there and back. A lot of campers would think twice before forking out for that, would rule out a weekend escape for us.

It will be a long while till I can afford to go back, but honestly, it was worth it.... (if you use the economy of scale and stay as long as you can).

- Hope this helped! :cheers:
-Cheers

Offline 98Pudge

• Swag User
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 07:05:25 AM »
How'd ya go GS?!
Does this thread have a happy ending?  ;D
-Cheers

Offline GS

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 06:43:16 PM »
Well....

Budget was tight and couldn't stretch to Moreton. Would have also needed some extra gear like Max Trax for piece of mind and a porta-loo (for She and the kids).

Decided on 1770 on the first week of the school holidays and had a ball. Enjoyed swimming, fishing and 4 wheel driving and having generally a great time.

The advice that I received was great and have not ruled out Moreton for a future trip later this year.

Before some one posts this :worthles: I have a little vid that I will post shortly.

Cheers all for your help

Grant

Offline JustCruzin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 06:57:08 PM »
Hey grant we have never had a problem with mossies or sand flies there as there is no still water were we use to camp. We use to camp just before the cowan  bypass road right behind the cowan point sign. We use to fish the incoming tide for whiting and flathead. at high tide the water is about 10m from camp great to wake up and go out for a swim before breakfast. And it is only a short run down to the resort or tangaloma wrecks. It is still my favorite place in oz but haven't got all the way around yet. If u have any more questions just pm me. I have spent most of my holidays over there weather by boat or car.
Cheers Dean
1988 GQ Patrol called "True Blue", winch, front air locker, heat exchange, rear air bag assisted suspension, long range tank, drawer system, engel, dual battery, roof rack, LED light bar etc

Offline JustCruzin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 07:16:13 PM »
here are some pics

Offline 98Pudge

• Swag User
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 08:44:47 AM »
Thanks Dean, you've got some great photos there.
It is still my favorite place in oz but haven't got all the way around yet.
This'd be close to my thoughts too.. (Great minds think alike, don't they... and fools never differ, either! ;D)
Well....

Budget was tight and couldn't stretch to Moreton. Would have also needed some extra gear like Max Trax for piece of mind and a porta-loo (for She and the kids).
Grant, now you're just making excuses.... but since you've got these things now, you really don't have any further excuses!!!
Get out there Nnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeooooooooowwww!!!!!!
To be fair though, it would seem 1770 is a neat compromise.

We'll be taking the In-laws over there (since they haven't got a 4wd) somewhere between now and March for a day trip.
Can't wait to get back and really don't need much encouragement!
-Cheers