Author Topic: Decisions Decisions  (Read 4625 times)

Offline waiting_wishing

• Learning the Ropes
Decisions Decisions
« on: January 07, 2011, 10:50:46 AM »
We are hoping for a bit of guidance from all of the experienced people on the forum. We are a family of 7. 2 Adults and 5 kids (oldest ds15 has a swag). So we are looking to purchase a camper trailer this year and we are wondering if there are any other large families out there and what they have found works for them.
We prefer to bush camp and usually stay in one spot.  The manufacturers that we have it down to are Vacation Campers, Trackabout and Complete Campsite. So if anyone has any feedback on these that would be great.

Offline blackstump

• ''LIFES TO SHORT TO BE SMALL''
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Decisions Decisions
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 11:40:37 AM »
G'day

For a large family, if it were me, I would look at the Complete Campsite....sometimes referred to as the Complete Cavesite....

All the trailers you mention are good quality trailers and very popular, but the Complete would get my vote

:cheers:

IS THERE A PROBLEM OFFICER

Offline DAZnBEC

• THE MIGHTY MODCON!
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 11:53:38 AM »
It depends on your budget, we are a family of six and fit very easily into a Modcon.

The four kids are on bunks so they take up very little room. The companies that are making the extenda models with the walkway at the end of the bed, have alot larger tent so maybe try one of them.

Dazza

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 01:32:41 PM »
From my point of and view value for money, the Trackabout C/Ts are excellent, Trackabout will custom a camper to your requirements. Cheers duggie
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 09:01:08 PM »
We are hoping for a bit of guidance from all of the experienced people on the forum. We are a family of 7. 2 Adults and 5 kids (oldest ds15 has a swag). So we are looking to purchase a camper trailer this year and we are wondering if there are any other large families out there and what they have found works for them.
We prefer to bush camp and usually stay in one spot.  The manufacturers that we have it down to are Vacation Campers, Trackabout and Complete Campsite. So if anyone has any feedback on these that would be great.

Complete Campsite are the Rolls Royce of the soft floor campers, but you will be paying a pretty penny, for overall budget and quality...Trackabout.
 I checked out the unit that the bloke from DRIFTA had at the Nthn Rivers Caravan and Camping Show, he has dragged from pillar to post across Australia. They are good quality, built like a brick outhouse and decent price.
Me, I picked up a Bushmate from Nerang, semi off road, loads of space, moderate set up, Gal trailer with good quality canvas,  12 month reg...$5000.00

But if the budget is still stretched, check out the second hand market around your district, do your research and check the my swag forums...
Good luck.

Offline Paul and Bern

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Living for Holidays
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 08:06:35 AM »
 ;D Gotta luv adding to the confusion  >:D but have you had a look at Customline, the 12 footer wth full wall and extra annex is what we have and it covers a large area, they have a website with options, are based in Beenleigh, Brisbane and at last look were in the price range on the new side.  Thought I'd mention it as it looked as if you didn't have enough to choose from  ;D

The 'bigger' softfloor campers can fit a lot of stuff, we had 2 adults on main bed, 2 adults on a queen air bed ( one pregnant) and our little one on a trundle fold up bed all in the main tent. The only caution is that they often are a tight squeeze if you plan to setup in C/parks, you often go garden bed to garden bed.

:cheers: Paul

If you're up our way you're welcome to come have a look, I reckon I could get some to show off a trackabout as well...
Can every day be made a public holiday?

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 08:09:28 AM »
You also need to consider where you will camp. It is great having a big load of canvas to fit all the tin lids however if you wish to stay at caravan parks you could find it won't fit on the sites.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline waiting_wishing

• Learning the Ropes
Camper Trailer Options for Large Family
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 10:24:04 AM »
Thankyou all so kindly for your replies.
You also need to consider where you will camp. It is great having a big load of canvas to fit all the tin lids however if you wish to stay at caravan parks you could find it won't fit on the sites.
You have now raised another query! While we almost always bush camp we would be naive to say that we will never camp in caravan parks.
 How well do caravan parks cater for camper with a lot of canvas?

At this stage we are leaning towards Complete Campsite for the simple reason that everything is done and there would not be many mods or additions that dh would have to make. Then that decision brings up another question are all of those extra $$$$$ for the inclusions on the Complete Campsite worth it?

Unfortunatly Paul we are on the Darling Downs so it is a little to far to go for a look. We will hopefully (rain permitting) head to Brisbane to Trackabout and Vacation Campers next week for a look. We might even go for a drive down to Gosford to have a look at Complete Campsite.    Cheers Lisa

Offline Paul and Bern

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Living for Holidays
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 11:12:32 AM »
 :D  Re C/parks, let them know, in a couple of places we have ended up / asked for larger sites like motor ones, or else you just turn the CT to fit and only put up what you can  :-[ .

Could always ask in General Discussion if there's any one near you who would like to show off for you..... not that I'm saying we're show offs  >:D

I know about $ extras ours started off at around $7g and ended up at $14g and still adding  :'(

:cheers: and best of luck
Paul
Can every day be made a public holiday?

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 11:48:43 AM »
Trak Shak.
Lotsa beds, lotsa canvas.

Personally though, I ould get one with either end access to the bed or a east west bed. Nothing worse than a spouse crawling over you at night to take a leak.
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Offline Flemo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 08:01:51 PM »
Go and see jt at trackabout. If you are considering complete campsite John will be able to do same for less I recon. Check our build- Flemos trackabout. 10ft tent on the extenda is huge and with our storage options it is awesome for our family and kitchen has the missus loving it!!! Cheers Flemo

Offline sadie

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 08:10:02 PM »
Lisa, if you're going to be looking at the Trackabouts, you should drive just up the road and check out the Lifestyle Camper Trailers as well. Similar in style to the Complete Campsites, but a bit cheaper. Godd solid trailers and god service from John & Bill, too.... :)
Steve.

Offline Flemo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 08:14:13 PM »
Lisa, if you're going to be looking at the Trackabouts, you should drive just up the road and check out the Lifestyle Camper Trailers as well. Similar in style to the Complete Campsites, but a bit cheaper. Godd solid trailers and god service from John & Bill, too.... :)
Steve.
just down the road actually on the left :cheers: spend more time with John and get a better outcome!!

Offline chrisroche

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 08:20:33 PM »
Whatever you get fo for a 12ft tent and have it so that the option is built in to add the extra kids room.   We have 3 (soon to be 4) and bought a second hand Lifestyle with the above and so far so good.  Watch the covers on the lifestyle as there have been some issues with them fading and cracking - otherwise very happy.  The 12ft tent would take 2 sets bunks and a portacot.

Tru blue in Vic make a good rig - rind and talk to Kiwi.

Chria
Are we there yet?

2011 Pathfinder...Lifestyle Camper

Offline kiwipete

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 08:48:24 PM »
All those Camper Trailer builders you mentioned are all good value,   but don't igonore the less well known as often they can offer far better value for money as what they save in advertising they can pass on to you in both quality and price...  These builders rely on word and mouth.

Our camper was built by Explorer Campers and Canvas in Gosford they offer many options many will suit you down to the ground and they will gladly listen to any special requirements that you may have...       we are so impressed with our CT that I gladly pass on their name....   Do yourself a favour call Andrew and talk to him if nothing more than rule them out but they could well be the people to make the ideal trailer for you and your family....

http://www.explorercampers.com.au/
KiwiPete
1991 HDJ80
Explorer Campers & Canvas - Lawson Off Road
http://www.explorercampers.com.au/
Canberra

Offline Mikeb62

• Swag User
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 09:59:59 PM »
I've got a Vacation camper and really happy with it. I love the canvas detail and overall quality. Although only a 9ft tent, it has the advantage of being able to be setup by one person and roof height and wall heights are ideal. Some 12fts get a little low at the wall and its a lot of length for rain runoff. We have 3 kids and put them on 2 bunks in main tent for short stops. Also got the drawbar side kids room that I setup on longer stops. Your shortlist and the others mentioned will all do the job fine . It just gets down the minor details and your individual peferences.