Author Topic: Around Aus in our new Camprite TL8s  (Read 9228 times)

Offline 3pack

• Learning the Ropes
Around Aus in our new Camprite TL8s
« on: January 03, 2011, 07:44:12 PM »
We have recently bought a 2 year old Camprite from Crikey Campers in WA & are packing up ready to take off around Aus for up to a year.
Any tips on the camper would be useful!
We are towing with a 2001 Prado & are leaving from Perth & heading South & then East along the bottom.

A few questions;
* What size plastic storage boxes fit best inside the camper? We have some but believe that there is too much room surrounding them for the boxes to move & they will likely be smashed after an offroad journey.

* What sort of ground sheets are now commonly accepted? I have seen these 'Eco sheets' which just look like shade cloth, can you just use shade cloth? (we have some spare lying around!).

Any good spots that can be recommended along the coastline where dogs are permitted & free or cheap camp spots are located would be great!!!

Offline rellbell

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2000 gu II + MDC XT12
Re: Around Aus in our new Camprite TL8s
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 09:00:26 PM »
Well done on purchase of the CT.  The size boxes would depend on the area you have, and they usually take a bit of knocking before they break.  For the Ground sheet, we have been using a piece of secondhand shade cloth for years, before CT and whenever we camp without the CT, its just priceless.  The fine sand just disappears through the weave, and never seem to have any problems with it, although it was a little damp during our christmas camping this year in the middle of the cyclone up here in Far North Queensland. Mind you it was the last thing we packed up, as we were using it to be able to walk around on and not bog down in the damp dirt. Hope this helps.  Cheers Rellbell

Offline 3pack

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 09:17:15 PM »
Thanks for the info Rellbell, It probably seems like a silly question re the ground mat, but we will def give the shade cloth a run when we pull up in our first spot near Margaret River in a few weeks time.

We are very happy so far with the CT!!!

3Pack

Offline fat belly dog

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 11:19:30 PM »
Nice Camper 3pack, it looks in great condition as well.  Great choice of camper for the trip, we just picked up a 2nd hand TL8 (not quite as shinny as yours) and are looking fwd to our first trip away next week.  We have some of that green rubber matting that we will use for the anex groundsheet.

C-gear mat gets good reviews but its about $200 for a 3 by 3m trap, I think the shade cloth will do the job and even if you have to replace it a few times should work out cheaper than above.

I just had a look thru bunnings for tubs, two 90lt tubs fit side by side up front (I think its 1150mm between trailer sides) so look for tubs 550 wide then I pack soft bags, camp chairs, toys etc behind these in front of the kitchen.  You can get a tougher heavy duty tubs (black plastic) We have a couple of old clear plastic ones I will use first.  These are light weight and a bit brittle so I dont expect them to last.

Try http://ozcamps.net/  or http://www.campsaustraliawide.com/index.php?referral=51 for listings of free campsites.

Have a good trip
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 11:28:05 PM by fat belly dog »

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 11:27:12 PM »
Wow what a shake down trip - straight off around Oz.  We are shadecloth users too, 905 which is the heaviest weave and if you are not fussy about the size being exact you get good deals with end of roll sections at the big green store.

If you don't have somewhere to stay in Margaret River, I can recommend Big Valley Campsite (dog friendly) http://www.mronline.com.au/accom/bigvalley/index.html

Have a great trip and don't forget to post lots of updates and pictures.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 11:38:36 PM by Burnsy »
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline albany_nomads

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dylan..Mans best friend
    • John Grant Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 11:34:12 PM »
Rest Point Caravan Park at Walpole allows dogs

Parrys Beach just east of Denmark is a must and allow dogs
Cosy Corner East closer to Albany allows dogs
Pallinup on the highway for an overnight spot
Millers Point on the Pallinup ive never been to but is suppose to be good (enter off Bremer Rd)
Fitzgerald campsite just before the Fitzgerald river east of Jerramungup for an Overnight stay.
Theres a good number of campsites along the coast just east of Hopetoun
These all allow dogs and cost is a minimal approx $7.00

Have a good trip
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 11:42:10 PM by albany_nomads »
Kind Regards: John, Nola & Dylan (The Albany Nomads )

MY BLOG:   http://johngrantphotography.wordpress.com/

Offline 3pack

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 11:22:40 AM »
Thanks for the responses all... this is great info!

Im assuming that we will just run our trip by trial & error to a certain degree with things such as the shade cloth ground sheet etc, & it is great to hear others experiences.
What are your thoughts on reflective tarps for keeping the camper cooler when setup? We have trialled the camprite a few times this summer, putting it up on the driveway & also an overnighter to Northam. It gets really hot inside (obviously, as dark canvas & WA summers dont mix!) so we are thinking about trying to find ourselves a cheap, but hardy reflective tarp to reduce the heat buildup inside during the day. Cant beat an afternoon siesta whilst camping, but quite often the heat will make it unbearable in the trailer I think.

Its great to get feedback on dog friendly campsites, we will be travelling with our 10 month old Doberman, Stella (see pic) for the first time, so all areas we stay at will have to be (big) dog friendly. She is pretty good & doesnt bark for no reason.. most people love her! I worry a little about snakes etc, but we will keep her on the lead unless on an open beach I think..

Looking forward to surfing as many breaks as we can find on the coast, & seeing as few sharks as possible :-)

Cheers,

3Pack

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My Cruiser & AORC Quantum
    • My online pics
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 11:54:15 AM »
I had the Camprite thermal fly and it works an absolute treat. On a hot day the inside was fine - as cool as could be expected, but take it off to pack up and within minutes its a sauna inside. Also, it makes a huge difference in cold weather, I would often put it on to keep the inside warmer on cold nights. You can see the thermal fly on the camper in the pic below, it doesn't go over the annexe area (nor is it required to IMHO).

Also, you can see the Camec ground cover I had, its much coarser than shadecloth and all sand plus even small rocks fall straight thru. However, its very pricey and if I had my time over, would go cheap shadecloth as the price difference is not worth the improvement in performance. Besides, the Camec stuff is only 2.4m wide and shadecloth comes as wide as 3.6m, much better.

Cheers

Captain
My GXL TTD 200 Landcruiser and AORC Quantum loaded with Kayaks and bikes (my Camprite now sold )

Offline Trackaprado

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 01:18:23 PM »
Check the Oztrail ultramesh for the flooring, 20ft x 8ft for about 50 bucks.  Comes hemmed and with eyelets, no more expensive than buying shadecloth and putting eyelets in yourself.

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 04:51:25 PM »
I had the Camprite thermal fly and it works an absolute treat.

I've got one too and love it. Makes a huge difference.

Offline 3pack

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 07:35:15 PM »
Ok next question... Solar Panels...

We have just been down to a place in Ozzy Park & had a look at some 120w solar panels (non regulated) for around $850.
I go online (ebay) & find brand new ones from the Gold Coast & other areas for around $400..with regulators, diodes & folding..
Can anyone shed some light on why these are so cheap on;ine, & if we can expect to get the same quality when we pay half the price? Im assuming its the whole non-GST paying online company thing that is going on at the moment. Im a keen photographer too & have bought a few genuine top end Canon Lenses online for around half the price of what is available in the shops. Hence, I know that you can still get good high quality gear at a much cheaper price by shopping online. I would just hate to spend $400 on a solar panel that is sub-standard.

Thanks!!

Offline rellbell

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2000 gu II + MDC XT12
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 09:14:53 PM »
So Captain, Where can you get the Thermal Fly, I think I want one.  Cheers Rellbell

Offline Flemo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 09:50:38 PM »
Ok next question... Solar Panels...

We have just been down to a place in Ozzy Park & had a look at some 120w solar panels (non regulated) for around $850.
I go online (ebay) & find brand new ones from the Gold Coast & other areas for around $400..with regulators, diodes & folding..
Can anyone shed some light on why these are so cheap on;ine, & if we can expect to get the same quality when we pay half the price? Im assuming its the whole non-GST paying online company thing that is going on at the moment. Im a keen photographer too & have bought a few genuine top end Canon Lenses online for around half the price of what is available in the shops. Hence, I know that you can still get good high quality gear at a much cheaper price by shopping online. I would just hate to spend $400 on a solar panel that is sub-standard.

Thanks!!

Give Tammy a call, she is WA agent for Mandrakes solar. Web site here
http://www.deserttrackcampers.com.au/id73.html
I got my panel included with my camper and have been offered asistance from the Qld agent even tho I didnt directly buy it off them. $850 is def a bit much....Flemo

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My Cruiser & AORC Quantum
    • My online pics
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 10:04:49 PM »
So Captain, Where can you get the Thermal Fly, I think I want one.  Cheers Rellbell
Its a Camprite option. You can get them from Reg & Mat direct, just call them :)

Cheers

Captain
My GXL TTD 200 Landcruiser and AORC Quantum loaded with Kayaks and bikes (my Camprite now sold )

Offline fat belly dog

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 10:50:37 PM »
I picked up a solar fly along with bunk beds from camprite (reg) just before xmass, reinforced edges and tie down points and comes in its own bag, nice bit of kit.

Be interested in what you decide to get with regards to solar panels, as I have 10 day trip planned for easter (gnarloo) and i want to keep my beers cold in the fridge for that after surf thirst quencher.  I also need to get a new deep cycle battery my ones dead..wont hold charge at all.

Offline Digger

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 04:46:03 AM »
Nice Camprite , well done you will love it have one myself . A solar shade is a must just be a bit wary putting up in wet may stain the canvas have not seen this happen just been told to be wary. You can just tie them onto the front ,see from the pics that you got it from Andrew at Crikey campers hire , pick Andrews brain there is not much he does not know about trip preparation with the Camprite .

With your trip for WA there are 2 free camping books that I have found great one for south and one north .about 15 bucks each ,great investment.

Be careful with your dog in the outback as there is a lot of aerial baiting for foxes ,and once eaten sorry to say that's it  :-[ But do not be put off I take my dog and we have a ball but always aware what is around.

I have fitted a rhino mesh rack to my camprite from Jamie at Auto Extra in Osbourne Park ,this is so when driving and coming up to a campsite you can look out for wood and just put it in the rack with a quick tie down . Nothing beats a good fire . :cheers:

Hope this helps have a great trip,and with a Camprite you will not have to keep a eye in you mirrors because you know it will always be their and you can enjoy the view out the front. :cup: Cheers Digger :cheers:

Offline 3pack

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 10:39:38 PM »
Thanks everyone again for your posts... great advice all round.

We decided to go with an online 120w Solar panel at around $400 so we will let you know how that goes...
We also decided to buy a Southern Cross rooftop bag, its currently soaking in the bath!! Fingers crossed it doesnt leak..

One week to go before the big trip & we are almost sorted. The plan is to go to South for our first week for a nice easy trial run on the camper & our setup. This will give the pup a chance to get used to camping & us a chance to realise what we are missing!!

Cheers

Offline Digger

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 06:04:09 AM »
Good luck with your trip , sure you will have a ball. Have just spent the last week looking at rooftop bags , with a new baby found we have a lot more to pack ;D After all looking around also decided on a southern cross bag , have not read one bad review on them .If you not mind me asking where you got it see you are a in Perth .
One other thing I have found great was a hill billy camp kitchen , just a pole driven into the ground with a hotplate that swings out and a fry pan for breakfast cook ups . In a two week trip we only used the camprite kitchen once , save heaps on cleaning , just scape clean and pack back in bag  .But if using in WA outback due to rocky ground buy a bunning steel beach umbrella stand drill 4 holes in it and use a tent peg to hold down or place rocks on it , works a treat .
Cheers Digger

Offline 3pack

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 11:23:53 AM »
Thanks Digger, we cant wait.

We were out at Crikey this week, picking Andrews Brains, & I mentioned that you had given him a good wrap, he said to say g'day..

We got our SC roof bag from ARB in Osborne Park, but I think it was the last one. They have ordered more but the SC guys arent back until the 20th Jan. You can get them from GO-camping in Balcatta too, but same deal, they are out of stock & have ordered some more.

Cheers

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 12:23:40 PM »
Hi 3Pak

I think the Camprites are one of the best CT's money can buy and I live in the hope that we can upgrade to one in the future.

Happy camping

Bubba
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline Digger

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 07:44:42 PM »
Thats for that 3Pac will head up and place an order ,have fun you lucky bugger,posted some pics of a mesh basket I just fitted to my Camprite   :cheers:

Offline 3pack

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 07:16:24 PM »
Cheers Digger, will share some photos of our trip on here once we get going!!