Author Topic: Working and Traveling Australia, Our Journey.  (Read 221450 times)

Offline McGirr01

• Tent User
Re: Working and Traveling Australia, Our Journey.
« Reply #650 on: October 28, 2018, 10:56:27 AM »
Went down to Cahills Crossing yesterday for a fish. The tide was due in about an hour so we drove across the crossing and a short distance away was the boat ramp and tried our luck fishing there. No luck there but there were 3 crocs on the opposite bank approx 80 feet away from us.

Headed back to travel across the crossing and Shit did that tide come in quick. Crossed safely and just watched the incoming tide and the crocs come out of no where, some up stream some down stream.

I have been to plenty of places around Australia where crocs inhabit areas but Cahills Crossing and the East Alligator River are incredible. Crocs everywhere, I would hate to fall in the water.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Offline alixta

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #651 on: October 28, 2018, 01:46:07 PM »
Cahill's Crossing is a crazy place.
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #652 on: November 13, 2018, 01:02:26 PM »
Well after 9 weeks working for Alpa we have decided its not for us.
Too many chiefs running the business and we get bombarded with emails with whats happening, lift sales etc. Its the way they do business but its just not for us.

We handed in our notice of one week and head to Cairns on friday night. The goods news if we have another job ready to go. The small business has been after us for a while.

WA here we come, to a community 180 klms south of Broome. Less hours, same money and more laidback after talking to one of the directors of the store. Plenty of fishing.

http://www.bidyadanga.org.au

We pick up the car in Cairns and head to Darwin to grab all our gear in storage. Buy a tandem trailer, load it up and head to Broome. Should take us about 9 to 10 days.

Our next adventure awaits.

Mark

Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #653 on: November 13, 2018, 01:33:48 PM »
Hi Mark, Thats a shame it did not work out for you two, but the next spot mite be a cracker little spot and the fishing well that a bonus, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #654 on: November 13, 2018, 02:29:23 PM »
You got spoiled by Peppimenarti didnt you  8)
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #655 on: November 13, 2018, 02:46:43 PM »
Too many chiefs running the business and we get bombarded with emails with whats happening, lift sales etc. Its the way they do business but its just not for us.

We handed in our notice of one week and head to Cairns on friday night. The goods news if we have another job ready to go. The small business has been after us for a while.

WA here we come, to a community 180 klms south of Broome. Less hours, same money and more laidback after talking to one of the directors of the store. Plenty of fishing.

We pick up the car in Cairns and head to Darwin to grab all our gear in storage. Buy a tandem trailer, load it up and head to Broome. Should take us about 9 to 10 days.

Mark

Awesome. Did the remap of the Kidson Track for the Nyungamarta and basically started out from Bidyadanga.
Must get back up that way soon.
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline DOT 187

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #656 on: November 13, 2018, 03:06:05 PM »
G,day Mark
I have a fairly secure yard & maybe some shed space in Pinelands if you need to drop trailer some where while you are sorting Shit out when you get back to Darwin. cheers Brett 0438651456

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #657 on: November 13, 2018, 05:12:47 PM »
You got spoiled by Peppimenarti didnt you  8)

We sure did. Allowed to actually manage a store.

Mark

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #658 on: November 13, 2018, 05:14:15 PM »
G,day Mark
I have a fairly secure yard & maybe some shed space in Pinelands if you need to drop trailer some where while you are sorting Shit out when you get back to Darwin. cheers Brett 0438651456

Many thanks Brett. Will advise whats happening when we leave Cairns this Sunday.

Mark

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #659 on: November 13, 2018, 07:08:05 PM »

Mark
funny you should post this now, I have my nephew and his girlfriend that work for Alpa sitting beside me currently (they are on 6 weeks holidays and about to go to Fiji). Just read them what you wrote, they said it’s not like that for them at all, so interesting to read how it has been for you guys. My nephew said he apparently met you at Alpa head office when you started.....they are heading to Borroloola when they finish thier holidays I think he mentioned the other night at our place.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #660 on: November 13, 2018, 07:36:05 PM »
funny you should post this now, I have my nephew and his girlfriend that work for Alpa sitting beside me currently (they are on 6 weeks holidays and about to go to Fiji). Just read them what you wrote, they said it’s not like that for them at all, so interesting to read how it has been for you guys. My nephew said he apparently met you at Alpa head office when you started.....they are heading to Borroloola when they finish thier holidays I think he mentioned the other night at our place.

I cannot remember them.  Old age ha ha. Some people like the Alpa way while others find it too controlling like we did. They do look after their staff as they fly us back to Cairns. If they were duty managers its easy.  ;D

Pm me their names see If I can remember.

Mark
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 07:42:14 PM by McGirr »

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #661 on: November 13, 2018, 07:43:48 PM »
I cannot remember them.  Old age ha ha. Some people like the Alpa way while others find it too controlling like we did. They do look after their staff as they fly us back to Cairns. If they were duty managers its easy.  ;D

Mark
they’ve gone now so I can’t ask them exactly what they do...they did say something about it being different with the way you were versus what they ran, or something about the type of stores they had been running.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline McGirr01

• Tent User
« Reply #662 on: November 18, 2018, 05:35:09 PM »
2nd leg of our trip. After flying into Cairns friday night we spent all day Sat catching up with family and getting the car ready for the long track ahead. We travelled from Cairns to Charters Tower, stopping in at Townsville on the way to catch up with my daughter, Jaime Leam. 

Tonight's accommodation is at the Big 4 Aussie Outback Caravan Park. We have stayed here before and they allow dogs to stay in the cabin. Relaxing now with a few cold ones. Ready for tomorrow's leg.

Offline McGirr01

• Tent User
« Reply #663 on: November 23, 2018, 04:28:18 PM »
Well we made it to Timber Creek today.

We left the Threeways early Wed morning to  thunder and lightning and torrential rain. This continued for 50 klm then it cleared up. We made Darwin that evening around 5.00pm.

We stayed at a place that Penny found on Airbnb. A nice shed but completely renovated on a property at Humpty Doo. Friday was spent getting a few things, picking up our new trailer and packing all our gear in it.

We have done just over 3000 klm since leaving Cairns. You can't say we lead a boring life

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #664 on: November 23, 2018, 04:39:03 PM »
Have I missed something Mark, where is the Camper

GG

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #665 on: November 23, 2018, 05:15:27 PM »
Have I missed something Mark, where is the Camper

GG

Camper is in Cairns. Gave it away to my nephew. No more camper for us. A van or hybrid in the future. Need luxury for this old person  ;D

Mark

The following users thanked this post: GeoffA

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #666 on: November 23, 2018, 07:00:14 PM »
Camper is in Cairns. Gave it away to my nephew. No more camper for us. A van or hybrid in the future. Need luxury for this old person  ;D

Mark

That's very generous Mark. Your nephew has scored a well proven unit.... :cup: :cup:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline McGirr01

• Tent User
« Reply #667 on: December 03, 2018, 07:33:56 PM »
Well we have settled in here at Bidyadanga after a week in the new job. Good size store.

House not bad being a 2 bedroom and plenty of room for the 75in TV plus a big patio.

Lawnmower is getting fixed hence the long grass. We are only 180klms south of Broome so easy to head into town for things.

Will try my luck at fishing this weekend with the high tide and not get bogged in the sand this time.

The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #668 on: December 03, 2018, 09:55:27 PM »
That looks alright too Mr McGirr, Might get a bit wild and wooly when the wet sets in ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #669 on: December 05, 2018, 08:52:09 AM »
Is it an open community or now closed? When I was there in 2013 I'm sure it was an open community. We picked up some elders from there for a remap of the Kidson Track.
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #670 on: December 05, 2018, 09:05:54 AM »
Is it an open community or now closed? When I was there in 2013 I'm sure it was an open community. We picked up some elders from there for a remap of the Kidson Track.

It's an open community as far as I am aware.

Mark

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #671 on: October 22, 2019, 06:08:13 PM »
Well its official, the McGirrs will be heading off on our next adventure. We fly out Sunday the 3rd November to Darwin. Pick up a company car, spend 2 weeks at Beswick store, then back to Darwin for further training, a first aid course for me and Penny will do a 4wd training course over 2 days. Everything paid for by the company.

Back in the NT, working in remote communities. Mostly as full time relief managers traveling between communities.

After 9 months in Wollongong, caring for Dad before he passed away and spending time with Mum, it will be great to get back into working again.

Let the new adventures begin.

Mark

The following users thanked this post: wakychapmans

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #672 on: October 22, 2019, 06:17:19 PM »
Enjoy the trip Mark!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following users thanked this post: McGirr

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #673 on: October 23, 2019, 08:00:27 AM »
Have fun, Mark :cup:

So you'll be living in quarters up there & don't need to take the van ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #674 on: October 23, 2019, 03:41:53 PM »
Have fun, Mark :cup:

So you'll be living in quarters up there & don't need to take the van ???

We will take the van up once we have our first holidays. But we do get free accomodation when working in the communities.

Mark