Author Topic: Clowns Towing Vans  (Read 37812 times)

KingBilly

Re: Clowns Towing Vans
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2014, 09:17:33 PM »
I sit bang on 100km with the jayco flamingo

Hey mate, not having a crack at you but a comment in general.

What was your actual, true, speed?  Was it 100kph by your speedo?  Or was 100kph by GPS?

A vehicle's speedo can be up to 10% inaccurate, by law.  If you were measuring your 100kph by your speedo, you may in fact have only be doing a true 90kph.

Lots of people have GPS these days and lots of drivers know their correct and true speed and set their cruise control accordingly.

KB

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2014, 06:05:08 AM »
We use a "Hillspeed" in the Jeep and Falcon, couldn't tell you the last time I looked at the normal speedo. We have the Hud 09 version and aussie made. We did have an LED globe go out, but they sorted that for us free, even though the 2 year warranty was finished

Couldn't live without it these days.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 06:09:46 AM by Jeepers Creepers »
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline dlncooke

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2014 Dmax LSU, Jayco Destiny & Oztent
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2014, 06:22:25 AM »
We use one of these to check speed in both our cars.
Best $129 iv'e spent in a long time.

http://mypolaris.com.au/hud/indexflash.html

Cheers
2014 Dmax, LS-U setup for outback touring.

nbd73

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2014, 07:08:27 AM »
As long as all of us that get "shirty" with slow vehicles (towing or not) that dont pull over etc aren't those buffoon drivers who overtake said slow/towing vehicles only to then pull into the next servo 2km down the road. See that a lot. People in too much of a rush.

Offline billnjim

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2014, 07:55:34 AM »
Hey mate, not having a crack at you but a comment in general.

What was your actual, true, speed?  Was it 100kph by your speedo?  Or was 100kph by GPS?

A vehicle's speedo can be up to 10% inaccurate, by law.  If you were measuring your 100kph by your speedo, you may in fact have only be doing a true 90kph.

Lots of people have GPS these days and lots of drivers know their correct and true speed and set their cruise control accordingly.

KB

yeah the paj is approx. 10% off what the speedo reads so I set cruise at 110km, towing in 4th on the auto box at approx 2800rpm with the power to spare. Rarely use the GPS anymore though as now I know. The wife hates it and blames the GPS for causing her to get her first speeding fine in a decade - I've just had to smile and nod on that one.

KingBilly

« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2014, 09:28:04 AM »
At least she didn't blame you  ;D

KB
The following users thanked this post: oldmate

Offline Bm0

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2014, 09:43:55 AM »
We use one of these to check speed in both our cars.
Best $129 iv'e spent in a long time.

http://mypolaris.com.au/hud/indexflash.html

Cheers

+1 these are awesome, put it into my car before our last trip and it was awesome for 3000kms ... Well it's still probably awesome but I haven't seen my car for 2 weeks, it's still in carnarvon being repaired after a tank of crappy diesel...

Back on topic, other than those who like to speed up in over taking lanes, the main people I have trouble with on the road are those towing vans who are NOT grey nomads. It's the younger families with a huge van (sometimes hired) and no idea.

All in all, I find it's best just to get away from them, overtake if possible or slow down and let them get ahead.. Not worth ruining my holiday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline letsgoplaces

• Tent User
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2014, 10:37:37 PM »
As long as all of us that get "shirty" with slow vehicles (towing or not) that dont pull over etc aren't those buffoon drivers who overtake said slow/towing vehicles only to then pull into the next servo 2km down the road. See that a lot. People in too much of a rush.

A few years back, i was cruising down the Stuart Hwy not too far from Kulgera, traveling behind a triple. Being in a 60 series at the time and even the 12ht was no rocket :D, i was happy to drive behind him as i was going to stop at Kulgera anyway. He seemed to take offense with me sitting behind him, so he put his wheels in the dirt at the side of the road covering me in dust and gravel.
I passed and when he pulled into Kulgera a couple of minutes after me, i asked why didn't he want me behind him? 'Because having you sitting behind me put me off my book' WTF???
I made sure my food and fuel stop was quick enough to get on the highway before him
Another awesome forum.... now i'll never get to bed :D

Offline sup8pdct

• Tent User
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2014, 07:31:42 AM »
I look at it this way. The truckies are I the payroll. I am not. I try and let them pass at the earliest convenience.  When they start to overtake, I slow down.
When my 80 series had the 1HZ and loaded with everything and towing 2t, I was flat out doing 100 on the flats and any resemblance of a hill would mean I would slow down to 80 etc. It was fun as I would be able to catch up to people driving slower but never able to overtake them. Was easier just to sit behind them and use them as a wind break.
Now I have a turbo diesel in the same car, much easier to stay at 100.
On our round Australia last year, in the interest of saving $$ and not in a big hurry to get anywhere, I sat usually at 90 except for major single lane highways with lots of traffic. Crossing the nullabour, I sat on about 80. Very easy for others to overtake on that road.

James

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2014, 11:04:55 AM »
'Because having you sitting behind me put me off my book' WTF???

A lot of long distance drivers listen to talking books.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2014, 11:12:56 AM »
Quote from: KingBilly
Have had a thought about why "grey nomads" towing vans travel below the speed limit and then speed up in overtaking lanes as several have mentioned on this thread and in many other threads in the past.
It happens on any road, not just remote roads

I think its simply "Your not passing me" syndrome. Its not just fossils that do this, every prick does it.. or they pass the one slow car, then slow down - and stay in the right lane, to bollox up the 2089345203948029384029834023984 cars behind them.

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Snake

• Tent User
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2014, 12:07:33 PM »
Be careful of this happening
Melbourne

Offline Ynot

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Tony. Prado 150 GXL, Coromal 632RTP
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2014, 07:24:49 PM »
At the end of the day if someone is sitting on 80 or 90 what right do I have to say they are going too fast or slow? It is their rig with their own capabilities and 95% of the time they aren't going to cause an accident! just like the truck that runs out of steam on a big climb won't cause an accident or someone that speeds up and slows down won't cause an accident. They all could do this all day if no one else was on the road and no accident.
So what will cause an accident? The impatient or macho or reckless person who believes they have right of way or have some higher authority to the road use.
Most times over the length of a journey the 10 or 20 minutes you might be stuck behind someone may only cause a few minutes delay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?  (Homer J Simpson).

Offline dmax13

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2014, 08:21:39 PM »
Having travelled down the newell recently, the biggest problem that I came across was those towing vans sitting on 80 in the 110, which you pass them no problems they then pass you in the town when you are doing the speed limit and they don't slow down at all.

Some just don't think how long it is going to take stop if a person (especially a child runs out). I know fuel economy is important, but I'll spend a couple of extra bucks than deal with that guilt and grief.

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2014, 08:27:28 PM »
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2014, 08:29:56 PM »
Exactly, they appear to be insecure at speed.
Along with that insecurity, they add in impatience in the Towns.
And the inability to understand the dynamics of trying to stop their vehicle combination from normal town speeds.

Not good in anybodys assessment.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2014, 08:38:33 PM »
At the end of the day if someone is sitting on 80 or 90 what right do I have to say they are going too fast or slow? It is their rig with their own capabilities and 95% of the time they aren't going to cause an accident! just like the truck that runs out of steam on a big climb won't cause an accident or someone that speeds up and slows down won't cause an accident. They all could do this all day if no one else was on the road and no accident.
So what will cause an accident? The impatient or macho or reckless person who believes they have right of way or have some higher authority to the road use.
Most times over the length of a journey the 10 or 20 minutes you might be stuck behind someone may only cause a few minutes delay.
would it kill them to move over and let the 500 cars, trucks, bikes behind them past ??? they can continue on their way at their speed, and everyone else does the same.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2014, 08:57:11 PM »
would it kill them to move over and let the 500 cars, trucks, bikes behind them past ??? they can continue on their way at their speed, and everyone else does the same.

My beef when I do this is penisheads  won't let you back in, you have to show them up close what a Jayco fiberglass moulding looks like while your wife drives her finger nails into you!

Wank thread really. I am sure I have been that prick at the front at times when I've zoned out. Only last week was held up coming over the mountains by a tosser in Prado with O/R cub in tow obviously euphoric from his weekend away. Also had  plenty of truckies who deserve a serve they ain't all saints.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Meken

• Tent User
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2014, 09:35:30 PM »

Having travelled down the newell recently, the biggest problem that I came across was those towing vans sitting on 80 in the 110, which you pass them no problems they then pass you in the town when you are doing the speed limit and they don't slow down at all.

Some just don't think how long it is going to take stop if a person (especially a child runs out). I know fuel economy is important, but I'll spend a couple of extra bucks than deal with that guilt and grief.
Exactly!! My pet hate ... I stick fairly closely to the speed limit -Everywhere .... 80 in a 60 zone presents far more risk than 110 in 100 due to the increased population present

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Meken

• Tent User
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2014, 09:40:21 PM »
Ah I love the look on the young w&&kers face driving his lowered noisy bommodore when the freelander2 pulls away ahead from the lights - towing the Goldie ;) hehe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2014, 09:49:24 PM »
I was following a Harley towards Jamieson a few weeks ago, about 10:30 at night. He would do 45kph on the bends and open it up on  straights  it was a little frustrating ....I had no chance of  passing. Now I drive that road more times than I care to remember and if I was on a bike I'd let a 4wd pass and following there driving lights if I didn't know the road...not only for that but in case a hopper or deer wonder out which I often see driving through there at night.

Ok it's not a caravan related tale but it's the same principle. 

I didn't lose my patience and tail gate them as there on a bike and much more vulnerable. I would have hated to be responsible for causing them to run off the road. I just sat back at let them be.  I was in no rush as we both made it safely to our destination.  He also had a pillion on the back.

Cheers
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline discoteddy

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If in doubt, grab a handful of 2nd gear.
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2014, 10:22:10 PM »
I was following a Harley towards Jamieson a few weeks ago, about 10:30 at night. He would do 45kph on the bends and open it up on  straights  it was a little frustrating ....I had no chance of  passing. Now I drive that road more times than I care to remember and if I was on a bike I'd let a 4wd pass and following there driving lights if I didn't know the road...not only for that but in case a hopper or deer wonder out which I often see driving through there at night.

Ok it's not a caravan related tale but it's the same principle. 

I didn't lose my patience and tail gate them as there on a bike and much more vulnerable. I would have hated to be responsible for causing them to run off the road. I just sat back at let them be.  I was in no rush as we both made it safely to our destination.  He also had a pillion on the back.

Cheers

:cup: :cup:

Thank you very much, some common sense and perspective.

Cheers

Disco teddy.
2015 Goldstream Storm lifted with Vehicle Components best!, 2021 Enter the D Max.

nbd73

« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2014, 04:37:05 AM »
I like to look at all angles in discussions like these, not necessarily because I disagree with the general consensus, but merely to raise other points of view to see opinions or whether anyone has considered this.
So in light of that, has anyone thought about the reality of expecting a slow moving vehicle to continuously pull off to the side of a 1 lane each way road to let faster moving traffic by? There aren't many roads these days that arent busy all the time so is it fair for a vehicle that either doesnt have the power,  or a driver sticking to his/her skill limits, to be doing this? Consider the status of road shoulders in general. I am not saying that people shouldnt pull over but for some drivers this could be dangerous. Merging is not a driving skill that Aussies are adept at for the most part.
People should drive to 4 things in no particular order: road & weather conditions,  their own driving abilities, the limits of the vehicle they are driving taking due consideration of whether they are towing, and the quantity of traffic they are sharing the road with.
Its a lot to expect of most drivers to be on top of these things AND worry about pulling off the road every time they see a vehicle in their rear view mirror.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 04:39:14 AM by nbd73 »

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2014, 07:32:19 AM »
It's not often that I don't drive at the speed limit. On the occasions that I don't want to, or it's not safe to, I do pull over to let following traffic pass whenever a safe opportunity presents. Heck, I even slow down on the overtaking lane! :angel:
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

KingBilly

« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2014, 07:56:28 AM »
It's not often that I don't drive at the speed limit. On the occasions that I don't want to, or it's not safe to, I do pull over to let following traffic pass whenever a safe opportunity presents. Heck, I even slow down on the overtaking lane! :angel:

Agree 110%.  It is not rocket science

KB