Author Topic: Weight Loss  (Read 56949 times)

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
Re: Weight Loss
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2012, 05:35:53 AM »
Morning tjupurula
Yes I know it's early but the missus had to go to work and I just wake up naturally because of shift work. Make her a cuppa and straight to the forum. Yes I agree, swimming is the best and hence that is why I am trying to get the workcover insurance people to pay for my leisure centre fees. I have a pool but Melbourne she's a bit cold. Only get a few days a year and the Chrissy day storm broke the heating and the insurance fixed 3 months later. A bit late now. Might have to retire somewhere warm.
Cheers mate.
Wayne
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline Roddersz

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2012, 08:41:07 AM »
G'day All,

First post, not about CT's but something I can offer some assistance with...

About 12 months ago my wife was given a book by David Gillespie, and watched one of his lectures on YouTube (http://www.howmuchsugar.com/), this guy has done a heap of work on what effect sugar has on the body and the way the body reacts to different types of sugar - there is a heap of really good science behind it all which is on his site, and in the book and youtube clips if you are interested, but basically there is "Good" sugar and "bad" sugar.  After 2 kids my wife was struggling to shed the kgs and had tried a few different things that didn't work but ended up going mad with what this bloke said, and in under 12 months, without changing anything else, ie not adding any additional exercise, and not changing the occasional junk food meal she dropped 30kg (from pushing 100kg down to 70kg). Giving up "sugar" (and interestingly a lot of "sugar free" foods with artificial sweetners that apparently your body reacts to in the same way as real sugar) isn't actually that hard, AND cutting out the sugar after a week or so stops you wanting to nibble on a chocky bars or timtam etc which is what does a lot of damage.

Sooo, one of the side effects of my wife going off sugar was that I ended up cleaning up the "leftovers" of the occasional cheesecake or desert we made, or finishing off the last few chocky biscuits that she would normally have had that the kids didn't get to. This, along with buying a couple of cases of coke on special over summer, and a few other things resulted in my belt going out  several notches. For a bloke who has been pretty skinny and hovering in the mid 70 kg for years, a bit over a month ago with a wardrobe of trousers that I was convinced must have shrunk in the wash, I jumped on the scales and was quite surprised to see 86kg. I decided to give this no sugar thing a crack, and while I haven't gone cold turkey altogether like my wife did, I have stopped the coke (drinking CokeZero if I have to have coke), given away the chocolate, and not had the evening bowl of icecream, I have also given up the mixup water cordial I used to drink heaps of when it was hot (I hate plain water normally, but if really cold in the fridge I can drink it no worries) about all I have sugar wise now is 1 teaspoon of sugar in my 2-3 cups of coffee a day, which is down from the 2 teaspoons I used to have (I may even try to get that down to 1/2 maybe) and maybe the occasional shortbread with a coffee. In around a month, and again not doing anything other than cutting out the sugar my trousers have all stretched in the wash again, my belt is now back in the notch it used to be, and last time on the scales I think was 76kg which makes 10kg in 6 weeks or so, which I have to say I am pretty happy with.

Probably sounds all a bit whacky and "fad" like, but like I said, there is some sound science behind it, and I have now seen it work for several people. The beauty of it is you can still eat whatever you want (within reason I guess) so long as you don't have the sugar.

Hope there is something in there for someone, like I said, worked for me pretty painlessly - except the coke zero - that is a bit hard to take at times!

Good Luck

Cheers
Rod

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2012, 08:55:59 AM »
what can I say but "Well done Rod"!!!! :4x4:

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2012, 09:44:54 AM »
Morning tjupurula
Yes I know it's early but the missus had to go to work and I just wake up naturally because of shift work. Make her a cuppa and straight to the forum. Yes I agree, swimming is the best and hence that is why I am trying to get the workcover insurance people to pay for my leisure centre fees. I have a pool but Melbourne she's a bit cold. Only get a few days a year and the Chrissy day storm broke the heating and the insurance fixed 3 months later. A bit late now. Might have to retire somewhere warm.
Cheers mate.
Wayne

Good Morning Wayne
Given I believe one of your posts said you are in Melbourne, you are several hours in front of me (Kimberleys WA).  I have taken today off work to complete the nursery for my newest Grandson (born yesterday, no name or photo yet), my son in law is overseas with the ADF so I help where I can.  I own the business so it is not a "fake sickie".  (I keep saying "son in law", but I have five daughters all married, hence five son in laws, and all nice fellas).
Speaking to the Prime Minister for Domestic Affairs (she who must be obeyed), I was reminded that when the back really starts playing up, my wife frequently uses hot and cold towels alternately, straight on the lower spine, for about 20 minutes, and it works wonders to diminish the pain.  I hate the thought of any kind of medication, so my wife is forever finding various kinds of natural methods, and more often than not they work.
Have a great weekend mate.
Regards
Tjupurula
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 02:18:47 PM by Tjupurula »

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2012, 09:48:54 AM »
Hi Rod
Thankyou for the wonderful comments and advice regarding sugars.  I actually like coke zero, and it is the only soft drink that I have.  I do like the amber fluid, but will have to cut down the amount I have there, and that is a nightmare of a thought at the moment, but I will have to make certain sacrifices (going into the horrors thinking about it).
Regards
Tjupurula

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2012, 10:11:36 AM »
  I do like the amber fluid, but will have to cut down the amount I have there,

Again, alchohol (and sugar content) is the main issue here. 

Low carb beers are spruiked as the answer, but apparently not:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/myth-of-the-lowcarb-beer/2008/02/02/1201801094691.html

Better to reduce intake or as a compromise, drink mid strenght brews.

:cheers:
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2012, 11:04:55 AM »
Hi Rod
Thankyou for the wonderful comments and advice regarding sugars.  I actually like coke zero, and it is the only soft drink that I have.  I do like the amber fluid, but will have to cut down the amount I have there, and that is a nightmare of a thought at the moment, but I will have to make certain sacrifices (going into the horrors thinking about it).
Regards
Tjupurula

That will probably be your biggest battle based on what you have told us you already eat pretty well, maybe just to much.  Look at it this way, one small bottle of beer like a corona is around 140 calories and has say 12 grams of carbs and pretty much nothing of any use to your body in it.  To get that many calories from poached chicken breast you need to eat around 140 grams of it and that has no carbs and over 30 grams of protien and a couple of grams of fat. 

If you go with watching your nutrition and using calorie counting as a method of managing portion size, two small beers is the equivelent of 1 300 calorie meal which is a big deal as I have found I needed to aim for around six meals a day at 300 calories so I did not feel starving all the time at first as my body was not use to having stacks of bad fats and carbs to live off.  I have also found that a cup of all bran, a cup of skim milk with a bananna and some good yogurt (like yoplait forme) is a great breakfast as the high fibre keeps you satisfied longer.
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline johnyd

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2012, 11:26:29 AM »
Alcohol is any form is the enemy of weight-loss unfortunately.  Vodka is probably one of the "better" ones, but it's actually the alcohol that is causing the problem so none of them are good.

For back-pain there is a product called Ice Gel.  Its in a bright blue box and works wonders.

If you are already eating what you consider to be a healthy diet and following a healthy exercise program and failing to lose weight it might be worth looking into Insulin Resistance or Metabolic Syndrome.  They are connected medical issues that can make it more difficult to lose weight, and can be caused by being overweight in the first place.  Basically the system that evolved to store high energy carbs as fat in the body works in overdrive.

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2012, 12:04:31 PM »

There was a myswag.org quit smoking thread, why not a lose weight thread.
Post up your achievements.???

Brilliant Idea!

There was one of these on the cycling forum I am on which I joined in on which helped immensley.  It is great to post up your successes and read about others too!  I looked forward to posting up my results every Monday morning after I had weighed in and the encouragement from everyone else doing the same was very uplifting.

The way we did it was:

Date:
Weight Last Week:
Weight This Week:
Difference +/-:

Offline johnyd

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2012, 12:22:43 PM »
O yeah, today is my "weigh in day"

116.5kg, down from 118kg last week.  Very happy with that since I've had a lazy week, tennis season is over and only worked out at low intensity twice in addition to my full 1 hour Pilates session with the instructor.

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2012, 12:27:06 PM »
 Good arvo tjupurula
I will have to give that a try for sure. Was it really hot and cold towels? As in boiling and freezing? I usually put a hot wheat bag on my back and it sort of helps so if I do that and then stick a cold frrezer bag in a tea towel that might work? Tell me is Lake Gregory known as Paraku? I was curious where the lake is located. It sortnof rang a bell and then I read something about the Tanami which I drove through last year.
Wayne :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 12:30:07 PM by Donuts »

Offline hargs

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2012, 01:13:07 PM »
Hi all. What a get thread..........................! Congrats.to everyone loosing or has lost weight.

I'm only medium sized.....short. But have now been without a drink for 1 week, and boy does my gut feel a lot better  !!!

My diet this week has improved as well.........so looks like the grog may have to go for good. ( mine you I only ever had max. 3 beers or 3 wines in a sitting,)

I like the look of the colon cleansing thing .......may have to try that.
Life is to short not to...............

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2012, 01:28:13 PM »
Good arvo tjupurula
I will have to give that a try for sure. Was it really hot and cold towels? As in boiling and freezing? I usually put a hot wheat bag on my back and it sort of helps so if I do that and then stick a cold frrezer bag in a tea towel that might work? Tell me is Lake Gregory known as Paraku? I was curious where the lake is located. It sortnof rang a bell and then I read something about the Tanami which I drove through last year.
Wayne :cheers:

Hi Wayne
Not afternoon here yet.  No the hot towel is as hot as you can handle without being burned, until it starts to cool, then a cold compress, perhaps some ice blocks wrapped in a chux or tea towel as you suggested, which is what my wife uses.  She usually rotates about 5 times in 20 minutes, the relief is instant and absolutely amazing.
Yes, Lake Gregory is known as Paruku, within the bounds of the Tjurabalan area.  From the Tanami you need to take the Balgo turn off, go through Balgo, then we are about 40 km's SE of Balgo, and Lake Gregory is a further 10 - 12 km's down the track from us.  We get a lot of tour groups of bird watchers come in with organised groups, and some grey nomads, and I love meeting with them, as we learn about a lot of other places they have been to and see some photo's they have taken.
Have a great weekend
Regards
Tjupurula

Note:-  I will get the GPS for the "handover Site" at Lake Gregory as soon as the tracks dry out and message the information to you.  The "Handover Site" is so named as that is where the High Court of Australia came and sat, and handed the land back to the Walmajarri people here.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 01:38:31 PM by Tjupurula »

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2012, 01:30:54 PM »
Just tried to link in my livestrong weight and calorie graph but did not work :'(

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2012, 01:44:10 PM »
Another thing people tend to overlook is the portion(s) of food to the time of the day.

If you're quite active during the day, good size breakfast & lunch. Night time is mostly a case of just sitting around, you're not burning much energy, so don't eat big!

Thankyou Bobnrob
Portions and times is something that I have never really considered, and that is something that I will definitely take into account.
Have a great weekdend
Regards
Tjupurula

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2012, 01:49:41 PM »
I think the secret is there isnt many

we all know what we have to do and dont do, its not really hard as "professionals" who make squillions out of it make it out to be.

you need the support of those around you to start with, time to exercise, even 5000 steps a day (using a pedometer) oh and you need fawk loads of willpower.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2012, 01:59:17 PM »
you need the support of those around you to start with, time to exercise,

This is the key, do it together with your partner and family and everyone wins.  We have found we have more time together now as we excersise together every evening after diner (it is the only time we get).  It is also hard without supporting each other with what you eat, one person can not be bringing pizza and chocolate home or baking cakes if the other is trying to not eat that stuff.

Offline johnyd

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2012, 02:53:06 PM »
I think the secret is there isnt many

oh and you need fawk loads of willpower.

That, and you need to be 100% honest with yourself.  Record EVERYTHING that you eat in a food diary and don't leave off the bad things to make yourself feel/look better when you read it.

I've talked to others on the same diet as I am, but we go out and I see them drinking Sugary Pre-mixes and always eating junk food.  I ask about what recipes they could suggest and they tell me about this really nice dessert with bags of sugar in it.  Even for breakfast they are still having their sugared cereal with some toast and jam, snacks are cake and lunch is 2-3 sandwiches (sometimes salad or cold meat, but just as often jam, honey or some other high-carb spread). 

Yet they'll complain to me about how the diet isn't working and how strictly they are following it and why won't it work for them as it works for me.  Umm... It's  probably because you had cocopops for breakfast, ate a packet of biscuits for morning tea, had 3 jam sandwiches for lunch and right now you are complaining to be while drinking a beer and eating a massive plateful of Spaghetti bolognese for dinner.  Any plan only works if you actually stick to it, not just say that you are.

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2012, 03:06:55 PM »
Johny, you are dead right about being honest.

Also a big thing is just sucking it up and dealing with it, by actually changing what got you to this state in the first place.  Don't replace your crap sugary feel good food with sugar free crap sweet tasting feel good food.  Suck it up make a change for the better and do without it, eat a piece of fruit or drink a glass of water instead.

All thses stupid adds on TV for premade diet food that include desert and sugar free chocolate make me sick.  If you want a piece of cake, eat a real bit, but not verey day, it is a treat so maybe once a week and afterwards make up for it by doing some extra physical activity (mow the lawn or something it does not have to be planned excercise) and going without something else you don't possibly need later in the day.

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2012, 03:28:51 PM »
Hey Tjupurula
That would be great. I intend to come back again and see the Kimberleys properly not just in 2weeks like last year. Retiring in 3 years so it will probably be then. So much we missed out on. Talk soon
Wayne :police:

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2012, 03:32:33 PM »
oh and you need fawk loads of willpower.
I have lots of willpower, it's the won'tpower that kills me.
I have struggled all my life with being overweight and i attribute it partway to experimental asthma drugs when I was a young kid. Don't get me wrong as I would not be here now if it were not for them but as soon as I started taking these drugs my weight ballooned and i have not been able to get it down 50 years later. I was in a bad spot living on a wheat farm and being allergic to wheat dust was not easy, it even got to the stage of being allergic to green grass. Moving to a moist climate on the coast has stopped my chronic asthma but i still stuggle with my weight (5ft9 & 122Kg)
I have found that the Tony Ferguson diet worked well for me for about 6 months and then I hit a spot where whatever I did it just stayed the same. Gave up and now 3 yrs later & 20Kg later I am back to the same weight. I find that I have this strange spot where I can just stagnate and will stay the same weight whatever I do and seems to be around 120Kg.
I now know that I have to do something about it as a few health issues are starting to arise and I cannot ignore it any more.
Soooo. After Easter finishes so does my old lifestyle. I am going to do it.
Also SWMBO says that if i can get down to 85 Kg she will let me buy a bike, not just any bike but one that I have been craving for for years. A GS1000s if I can find one. If not then something of similar vintage maybe a GSX1100. What an incentive, gotta get it before I am too old to ride it.
So it sounds like the Myswag weight loss centre should be a goer. Don't know how yet but I'll be there.
Let the show begin.   
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Variflex

« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2012, 05:31:14 PM »
I recently hooked in and lost the weight, 26kg in 9 weeks,
Happy to advise how but its a bit of typing, if anyone is genuinely interetsed just shoot me a PM

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2012, 05:49:50 PM »
I recently hooked in and lost the weight, 26kg in 9 weeks,
Happy to advise how but its a bit of typing, if anyone is genuinely interetsed just shoot me a PM

Hi Variflex
You have my curiousity for certain, so I will flick you a message.
Regards
Tjupurula

Offline cheekygirl668

• Tent User
  • Rebel without a clue...
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2012, 08:13:40 PM »
l had my monthly weigh in at Curves today ... started at 111.4kgs today 106.7kgs so down 4.7kgs so far

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2012, 08:25:04 PM »
l had my monthly weigh in at Curves today ... started at 111.4kgs today 106.7kgs so down 4.7kgs so far

That is a really good effort, you have every reason to be proud of that achievment.
Tjupurula