Author Topic: Track Trailer buys Trakmaster caravans and Pioneer campers  (Read 3554 times)

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
Track Trailer buys Trakmaster caravans and Pioneer campers
« on: April 03, 2020, 06:43:20 PM »
So Track Trailer now own Trakmaster caravans and Pioneer campers...
(including the Pioneer Mitchell that owes more than a small amount of its "inspiration" from the Tvan)

https://rvdaily.com.au/track-trailer-acquires-trakmaster-and-pioneer/

Interesting video link from both owners of the way forward...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pOtnYSAThQ&feature=emb_logo

« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 06:45:29 PM by MuruCycles »
Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.0
2 x titanium fatbikes with 4.8" tyres

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Track Trailer buys Trakmaster caravans and Pioneer campers
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 05:59:32 AM »
Interesting video. 

I take the point that people chose the Pioneer Mitchell over the Tvan (we made the opposite choice) so there must be a market for it but this surprises me and I wonder what the medium/long term viability of 2 such similar vans is.

The rear fold segment is dying so the Onyx seems to be only a niche product but may continue as other high quality products have left the market.

The Trakmaster seems like a great addition and should complement the T4 product in an expanding market.

The economic effects of the COVID 19 will throw the cat among the pigeons over the next few years so who knows what will happen in this industry??
The following users thanked this post: Mick T

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 06:18:59 AM »
That's a big lot of cash to put down regardless of the current COVID-10 situation. I've always liked the Tvan and Trakmaster products, hopefully Track haven't bitten off more than they can chew.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 05:30:24 PM »
That's a big lot of cash to put down regardless of the current COVID-10 situation. I've always liked the Tvan and Trakmaster products, hopefully Track haven't bitten off more than they can chew.

Interestingly, I called Trakmaster ( or the new owners) last week enqUiring about a particular van in the Trakmaster range. I was advised that they are behind were they wanted to be with the brand due to COVID-19 but basically they will not be starting any builds until last quarter 2021, and after they rationalise the range, They have a huge backlog for their other ranges including the Track and Tvans etc.
They were happy to take a deposit to reserve a place in the queue for a Trakmaster but at this point it would be blind order on an unknown van model and no price.
Maybe not.

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 05:31:16 PM »
Double post

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 05:32:22 PM »
I would think that more than 1 brand would be in that boat...
tough times.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 05:37:56 PM »
I would think that more than 1 brand would be in that boat...
tough times.

Do you mean having a backlog on known  models and taking orders for that range like a lot of builders
or
buying a company for lots of $ and then putting the company on the shelf until sometime later next year when you will decide whether they will build all of the previously available range or cut back and for example only have say a 17 ft and a 19 ft van but still take a deposit of up to 10% to hold a spot in a mystical queue for an unknown outcome

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 05:46:34 PM »
Quote from: rags
Do you mean having a backlog on known  models and taking orders for that range like a lot of builders
or
buying a company for lots of $ and then putting the company on the shelf until sometime later next year when you will decide whether they will build all of the previously available range or cut back and for example only have say a 17 ft and a 19 ft van but still take a deposit of up to 10% to hold a spot in a mystical queue for an unknown outcome
Lots of backlog of orders.. most places have been shut down.

Theres no way I'd be putting a deposit on a trailer right now that may never happen...
Been a few more than 1 manufacturer went toes up and dozens lost deposits and everything I think there was even one earlier this year.
Its a new world, companies have to change their mind set to survive... deposits to just get in a queue??? yea .. na.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 06:18:16 PM »

Theres no way I'd be putting a deposit on a trailer right now that may never happen...
Been a few more than 1 manufacturer went toes up and dozens lost deposits and everything I think there was even one earlier this year.
Its a new world, companies have to change their mind set to survive... deposits to just get in a queue??? yea .. na.

Yeh, you can understand a company doing it tough, but at the same time , you can understand people not wanting to lose their hard earned as well.

Maybe they have to think a bit like a car dealer...you make x amount of trailers, they sit in your showroom, and if you make a decent trailer, it will be sold pronto. In an ideal world, you've only forked out for the 1st trailer...all else falls into place.
If you make a crap trailer, you've realised after the 1st one that no one wants to buy it and you head out the back door !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 06:20:35 PM »
Yeh, you can understand a company doing it tough, but at the same time , you can understand people not wanting to lose their hard earned as well.

Maybe they have to think a bit like a car dealer...you make x amount of trailers, they sit in your showroom, and if you make a decent trailer, it will be sold pronto. In an ideal world, you've only forked out for the 1st trailer...all else falls into place.
If you make a crap trailer, you've realised after the 1st one that no one wants to buy it and you head out the back door !!
agree. If they are good enough they will sell without needing queues and deposits.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 06:51:57 PM »
agree. If they are good enough they will sell without needing queues and deposits.

OR, if they are good and heaps of people want them, and you can't make them quick enough, you have a waiting list...no need for a deposit, because if one person pulls out, the queue gets shorter.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 07:53:20 PM »
OR, if they are good and heaps of people want them, and you can't make them quick enough, you have a waiting list...no need for a deposit, because if one person pulls out, the queue gets shorter.

That’s what I thought , why do I need to drop $9k down as a deposit so they can sit on it. At that point we have done no more than express an interest. At this point besides my money they would have an email and phone number with a comment , wants a van.
If at the point that we agree that we are building a size x van with details of the build and a plan with an expected delivery date then maybe agree to the deposit.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 06:53:26 AM »
Unless they're changing things, every Trackmaster is a custom build. Bit hard to build in advance without knowing the customers specs for the build, so no matter what there will be a wait.
The build cue time will be determined by the number of orders and production capacity. Trackmaster has always had around a 9 month lead time, but Vic being shut down would have pushed things out even further.
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2020, 05:47:03 PM »
9 month lead time.....if I could afford one, I might be dead by the time I got to use it ??   >:D >:D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2020, 08:29:16 PM »
Unless they're changing things, every Trackmaster is a custom build. Bit hard to build in advance without knowing the customers specs for the build, so no matter what there will be a wait.
The build cue time will be determined by the number of orders and production capacity. Trackmaster has always had around a 9 month lead time, but Vic being shut down would have pushed things out even further.

If it was 9 months and they would take a definitive order on a definitive layout I could handle that. Unfortunately they are considering rationalising the range , and have no intention of doing anything for around 12 months. In the mean time they will take a deposit on an unknown van type with a consideration of a 2022 build.