Author Topic: Companion 125w solar mat at Bunnings  (Read 71008 times)

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
Re: Companion 125w solar mat at Bunnings
« Reply #275 on: May 30, 2019, 12:32:27 PM »
Does anyone know if the power packs are still available

Heaps out my way but might be a bit far for you (200km)

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0

Offline Ozsnowman

• "Missus wants an Avan"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Travelling with Shirley the van!
« Reply #276 on: May 30, 2019, 12:56:26 PM »
Heaps out my way but might be a bit far for you (200km)

May not be Tim - I’m coming from the country! Which store is that mate?
We've swapped from the camper to a van yay! :)

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
« Reply #277 on: May 30, 2019, 01:38:08 PM »
May not be Tim - I’m coming from the country! Which store is that mate?

Bairnsdale store.

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
Companion 125w solar mat at Bunnings
« Reply #278 on: May 30, 2019, 04:20:00 PM »
Does anyone know if the power packs are still available anywhere in the Melbourne stores? I have to come down to Werribee on Sunday/Monday for work, so I'd love to pick one up while they are cheap. Or if anyone has grabbed one too many lol  ;D

Many thanks!

The store I was in had four , scroll up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 04:29:28 PM by weeds »

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #279 on: May 30, 2019, 04:30:58 PM »
Keysborough have four left, after I grabbed one.

Got it for $75 although still advertised for $149 on clearance.

The operator said they can 1/2 the price on clearance items without getting managers approval hence where the $75 comes from.

Bump for ozsnowman this store had four power packs on Tuesday.

Offline corbijn

• Tent User
« Reply #280 on: May 30, 2019, 05:59:32 PM »
Hey Folks. Bunnings Kotara (Newcastle NSW) has two of the solar mats in stock. I am pretty sure they are running them at $75.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jimbags

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #281 on: May 30, 2019, 07:56:01 PM »
Does anyone know if the power packs are still available anywhere in the Melbourne stores? I have to come down to Werribee on Sunday/Monday for work, so I'd love to pick one up while they are cheap. Or if anyone has grabbed one too many lol  ;D

Many thanks!

I saw 4 power packs at dandenong bunnings today. Sticker price was $199. They are over in the corner next to the eskys. Couldn't see any solar mats tho.

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #282 on: May 30, 2019, 08:01:30 PM »
Every store I went to had battery packs and fridges, not so many have the solar panels

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #283 on: May 30, 2019, 08:14:24 PM »
I contacted Bunnings head office in NSW regarding their pricing policy. They had the manager of the my nearest store call me.

I told him about people buying the panels and battery packs at the prices quoted and he advised it’s up to each individual store as they do not price match other Bunnings stores. Their system they follow is all dictated by their head office. He did say some states may be different regarding pricing policy on matching receipts.

He was very upfront and honest. This store has 8 blankets and 6 battery packs marked at the current mark down prices. He advised that once they have only a few left they would look at marking them down further to clear them out.

I told him I went to a store not far away with only one blanket left and I was told that’s the price ( $149) and they would not reduce it any further. He said yes he understands the inconsistencies but it’s up to the store manager / section manager. He did say a number of staff have been sacked by reducing deleted items well below what they should have been.

I will just wait until the battery packs reduce over time.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #284 on: May 30, 2019, 09:20:21 PM »
I contacted Bunnings head office in NSW regarding their pricing policy. They had the manager of the my nearest store call me.

I told him about people buying the panels and battery packs at the prices quoted and he advised it’s up to each individual store as they do not price match other Bunnings stores. Their system they follow is all dictated by their head office. He did say some states may be different regarding pricing policy on matching receipts.

He was very upfront and honest. This store has 8 blankets and 6 battery packs marked at the current mark down prices. He advised that once they have only a few left they would look at marking them down further to clear them out.

I told him I went to a store not far away with only one blanket left and I was told that’s the price ( $149) and they would not reduce it any further. He said yes he understands the inconsistencies but it’s up to the store manager / section manager. He did say a number of staff have been sacked by reducing deleted items well below what they should have been.

Mark

I was happy when I chipped another $20 off the 2x panels I got - I do wonder if I could have got more, but they were happy enough to do that. Having worked in retail, I know that your performance is measured on sales (and per unit averages and per sale average). Combined that with being in a drought affected area (but not having my own income directly affected by drought) I know the importance of keeping money moving through both the independents and the big guys - get rid of the big guys, and there's now no way an independent can come back in.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #285 on: May 30, 2019, 09:42:26 PM »

I think the only people getting sacked would be people dropping prices to buy for themself or for friends/family, and as it is up to the manager on duty as to what price is acceptable, it should only be anyone not getting their approval.

As I mentioned at the beginning, they are not obligated to match other stores prices, it is up to the discretion of the manager who is there. My experience is that those whose day job/career is working at Bunnings tend to work at the day time and have a greater tendency to suffer from little Hitler syndrome, those at night (managers included) tend to be the ones working around studying etc and don't take their role overly seriously.

Hence my suggestion of going in at night time and asking politely. It sounds like your local store though has a manager who thinks he is pretty important, and now that he has had this bought to attention from head office he won't be dropping the price anytime soon, just because he can. He has probably instructed other managers now that they aren't to do it either, because thats his delegated authority and he is going to milk it for all its worth.

I wouldn't be holding my breath for him to reduce them anytime soon. If you really want some, I'd try and find another store that has them nearby that you haven't already approached in the day time and ask politely if they can match what other stores have sold them for, if they say no (as is there prerogative), move on and try another.

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #286 on: May 31, 2019, 12:56:07 PM »
So I grabbed one of solar kits last week at Marsden Park, but they had no Power Packs. (paid $90 for the solar blanket, with the aid of a receipt on my phone from this thread)

Today I was able to get a Power Pack from North Penrith.

The power packs were on the shelf at $199

But I showed the receipt copy for $90 and they checked with the manager and matched it with no problems at all.

For what it’s worth, North Penrith have 3 x Power Packs left and about 5 x solar blanket kits

copy of receipt below if it's helpful to anyone.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 06:12:43 PM by MuruCycles »
Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=58855.msg1064705#msg1064705
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.

Offline Rob C

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • North Coast Campers
« Reply #287 on: May 31, 2019, 04:08:44 PM »
Bunnings at Southport Qld still have 7 Solar panels & about 6 of the power packs available but still at the clearance prices. They were aware that there are people chasing these items and will not discount till they only have a few left.
Nissan Patrol Y62-2023 & North Coast Camper XLT

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #288 on: May 31, 2019, 04:25:26 PM »
Just been to see if I could get a refund to get mine that I paid $120 for down towards the $75 mark.

Because a lot of the stores that are discounting heavily are the metro stores, the country stores aren't always as willing/able to discount as they have a % of the freight cost in that margin that's being knocked down, so no luck in getting a bit of the difference back - always worth asking nicely though.

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #289 on: May 31, 2019, 07:02:46 PM »
Some of the stores of also clearing the Companion fridges.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline aussie9

• Tent User
« Reply #290 on: May 31, 2019, 09:42:13 PM »
I think you'll maybe see a bit more Companion gear being cleared. Oztrail bought Companion in January 2018. And now Leasure Industries have bought out them both. Oztrail brand will be handling all camping gear sales, including some Companion, Roman and Primus.
Companion will be handling the industrial lines.....hoses, gas burners (map, butane etc).
July this year sees the first "Oztrail" retail catalogue distributed.
Maybe between Oztrail, Primus and Companion there is a lot of surplus stock to be rationalised
Cheers

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #291 on: June 01, 2019, 06:16:49 AM »
I think you'll maybe see a bit more Companion gear being cleared. Oztrail bought Companion in January 2018. And now Leasure Industries have bought out them both. Oztrail brand will be handling all camping gear sales, including some Companion, Roman and Primus.
Companion will be handling the industrial lines.....hoses, gas burners (map, butane etc).
July this year sees the first "Oztrail" retail catalogue distributed.
Maybe between Oztrail, Primus and Companion there is a lot of surplus stock to be rationalised

Are you sure? Companion Brands is the trading name of Primus Australia P/L and OZtrail is the trading name of Adventure Trading Australia P/L.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #292 on: June 01, 2019, 06:46:40 AM »
Are you sure? Companion Brands is the trading name of Primus Australia P/L and OZtrail is the trading name of Adventure Trading Australia P/L.

Looks like some truth to it but he might be a bit off with some of the details.

https://www.businessnewsaus.com.au/articles/oztrail-entrepreneurs-acquire-companion-brands.html

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #293 on: June 01, 2019, 06:56:31 AM »
Looks like some truth to it but he might be a bit off with some of the details.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. At least it wasn't SRG then they'd have the wholesale and retail stitched up.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline aussie9

• Tent User
« Reply #294 on: June 01, 2019, 07:11:13 AM »
Sorry guys.....just passing on what the Oztrail Rep told us.
I'll go back and sit in the corner again

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #295 on: June 01, 2019, 08:37:23 AM »
Sorry guys.....just passing on what the Oztrail Rep told us.
I'll go back and sit in the corner again

You were mostly right, just a few details which can easily happen to get mixed up along the grapevine. That's all assuming the article is correct which isn't guaranteed either.

Offline Ozsnowman

• "Missus wants an Avan"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #296 on: June 01, 2019, 09:52:55 AM »
Bairnsdale store.
Bugger lol yeah - wrong direction. Thanks :)

Bump for ozsnowman this store had four power packs on Tuesday.

Thanks Weeds!

I saw 4 power packs at dandenong bunnings today. Sticker price was $199. They are over in the corner next to the eskys. Couldn't see any solar mats tho.

Cheers!

Thanks to all. I'll see where I can get to tomorrow :)

Offline Ozsnowman

• "Missus wants an Avan"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #297 on: June 01, 2019, 10:02:09 AM »
Some of the stores of also clearing the Companion fridges.
Yeah Shepparton have the 45 litre for $599 and the (i think) 60l for $750

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #298 on: June 01, 2019, 03:26:32 PM »
Yeah Shepparton have the 45 litre for $599 and the (i think) 60l for $750
https://www.bunnings.com.au/companion-40l-transit-fridge-freezer_p0077002
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #299 on: June 01, 2019, 06:41:42 PM »
Seeing Bunnings were also clearing camping stretchers, which I think we're Roman brand.

Hopefully they aren't going to drop Companion, Oztrail etc like they have with a few other brands.
GMC was dropped for Ryobi and killed that business. Also Tridropped and it ton workbenches were
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux.