Author Topic: Almost newbie  (Read 3405 times)

Offline powerd

• Sleeping Bag User
  • I think I have automotive ADHD!
Almost newbie
« on: October 29, 2015, 09:54:46 AM »
Hello Swaggers

I joined a while ago, but never introduced myself properly.  I am a single bloke nearly 60 and about to semi retire.  I intend to mix travelling Australia both in my 4WD and camper and also by (road not dirt) motorbike.  will do some overseas travel - hope to ride a motorbike around US and down though South America.  I have an older Jackaroo and basic offroad camper, just bought a later low mileage immaculate Jackaroo and ordered an MDC Cruizer FF High-side camper with the lot.  Pickup late November.

I can do contract work when I want to top up my super, working from the camper or home.  Currently live in Canberra but looking to move to Port Macquarie - I hate the cold!  I have two late teens kids - only my son would deign to be seen with me now!  We sometimes camp together or go touring on the motorcycle.

I have done some outback travel before in a tent with a Landrover Discovery - the Cape (not all the way), Gulf, Kakadu, Tanami, Kimberleys, and work has taken me to the Pilbara.  Plenty of camping and touring along the east coast and high country.  So looking forward to getting out there again, this time with no need to hurry and the opportunity to go to all the more remote and interesting places for a really good look.  And meeting lots of interesting people sharing the experience.  I am also looking forward to spending more time on the motorcycle on longer trips - I love the freedom and thrills of motorcycle touring.  So many great roads, so little time!  Plus travelling on the bike, so many people approach you for a chat, and there is great camaraderie among motorcyclists.  It is surprising how many people you meet, so will be great to have the time to stop and talk without worrying where I need to be that night.  I am getting more into free camping as well, and my new trailer will be completely self-sufficient.

It looks like I will have to delay some of the wider travel as I will probably have a contract in Sydney for the next six months.  I will put the camper trailer somewhere there (Lane Cove Tourist Park possibly) and live there Mon-Fri, back in Canberra for most weekends.  The money is hard to knock back as it will fund more future travel and boost my super.

I am very excited about this next stage of life and the fantastic sights I will see, people I will meet.  Can't wait to join you all on the road. 

Happy camping.
I have never met a kilowatt I didn't love
In the driveway - '01 Jackaroo 3.5, '95, '11 Skoda Superb V6 AWD wagon, '01 Holden Astra and '11 Triumph Sprint GT. 
In repose, 1978 Jaguar XJS and 1974 Jaguar XJ6 w/ V8

KingBilly

Re: Almost newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 01:14:33 PM »
Wow, some introduction  :cup: Welcome to myswag, hope you have some fun on here.

For motorcycle touring, have you had a look at the Hoizons Unlimited website?  http://www.horizonsunlimited.com

Happy camping
KB

Offline powerd

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 05:37:11 PM »
Hello KingBilly.  Thanks.  Yes I have looked at Horizons Unlimited, many, many times as I dreamed of doing the amazing rides the people on that site get up to.  One day I hope it will be me.  I have already ridden Italy and over into Switzerland on a relatively quick tour.  But riding down through South America would be something else.  The US ride is scheduled for 2017, South America 2018, unless I combine the two (less likely).
In the driveway - '01 Jackaroo 3.5, '95, '11 Skoda Superb V6 AWD wagon, '01 Holden Astra and '11 Triumph Sprint GT. 

KingBilly

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 06:03:35 PM »
Ken and Carol are my friends.  They have done South America.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tstories/duval/

KB

Offline b1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 07:48:51 PM »
Welcome  ;D ;D ;D

Look forward to reading more and seeing some pics of you travels and camper.

Cheeers,
b1
The first 50 years of my childhood have been the hardest

Offline Sixpack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 07:54:20 PM »
Welcome to Myswag powerd, you don't sound like you will be slowing down any time to soon. 
Cheers Terry.

2014 Toyota Prado, 2018 Jayco Expanda Outback

Offline powerd

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 10:11:33 AM »
Thanks Sixpack.  I fully intend to make the best of semi retirement and not leave much super when I go.  The kids can have the house, that will set them up.

I would rather croak it being lost off a cliff in the Andes on my motorbike than fall out of bed in a nursing home.  Have already told the kids that.  Hopefully I will have the choice.  I am inspired by all the "mature" people (some well into their 70s and 80s) travelling, walking, cycling, motorcycling to remote and wondrous parts of this country and the rest of the world.

“It`s not how old you are, it`s how you are old.”