Author Topic: Another 80's Jayco Owner  (Read 5034 times)

Offline griffdog

• Learning the Ropes
Another 80's Jayco Owner
« on: July 09, 2015, 05:54:27 PM »
Hi All,

I have owned my Dove for about the last 5 years and reckon we (wife and 3 kids) have spent over 100 nights in it in that time.  Not bad for a machine that cost about 3k, with full annex, boat rack and great bike rack.

We are looking at a 4 month trip up the West Coast in about 12 months so am keen to start looking at making things a bit more rough road ready.  Really inspired by some of the rebuilds here of similar rigs.  I am keen to look at a more off road chassis and plonking the basic structure on that.  Look forward to keeping you informed.

We just got back from a great week at the Hattah Lakes and Sunset National Park - pic

The following users thanked this post: rose62

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: Another 80's Jayco Owner
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 10:35:37 PM »
Hi and welcome Griff, mate the search button will be your friend in the my camper and my camper build sections lots of modded jayco ..This one by Burnsy is a good start http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=4626.0
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline griffdog

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 06:03:07 PM »
Thanks edz.  Have already read Burnsy's build a couple of times and have many ides from him that I will be looking to implement.

I should also have added that I am from Ballarat in Vic.  We got this camper when we were living down on King Island in Bass Strait for a few years and kept this on the mainland for when we came back each school holidays, which is partly why we have done a relatively high number of nights in it.

I don't think we will ever sell the Dove.  My kids have kind of grown up with it and it really is part of the family.  I also find it hard to stomach the thought of spending 20k plus on something that is not really that much better than what I have for the type of work that I want it to do.  Same idea with the Jackaroo - I cant justify spending three or four times as much for something that does not really do much of a better job.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 06:07:28 PM by griffdog »

Offline Sixpack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 09:59:03 PM »
Hi mate and welcome. Your set up looks great, the old saying says don't fix something that's not broke. 
Cheers Terry.

2014 Toyota Prado, 2018 Jayco Expanda Outback

Offline griffdog

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 11:09:10 AM »
Thanks sixpack.  You may be right, but at least some work on the suspension and generally getting everything up to top notch condition is a must.  Will see how I go.  Canvas is in good condition but with these things you are always going to find some rot in the plywood and the like.  I am just feeling the love for the old girl and figure it really owes us nothing at this point.

Offline Rogerthatv2

• Tent User
  • GNDN 4
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 12:03:30 PM »
Welcome and thanks for sharing, looks like some great adventures! My little girl is 4 years old and loves getting away in our hawk, I am in trouble this weekend as we have had to cancel a quick overnighter to Neurum Creek, upgrades have not been finished.

Keep the pics coming, cheers Dan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2009 Jayco Outback Hawk & Prado 150 Series VX D4D - Now we just have to use it - not look at it!

Offline griffdog

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 07:28:25 PM »
This is the Dove with Annex set up but gee is that a PITA to do on your own.  I reckon a roll out awning on each side is the go for 90% of the time.

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 11:00:49 PM »
Good stuff, I love the old Doves/Larks etc, so much potential to transform them into serious machines!
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline rose62

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 07:44:38 PM »
hiya  it's good to no that you love your jayco dove like we do ... we just got our 1985 dove a few months back and are giving her a little face lift and SO loving her .. been checking what's on the market and are very happy this gem off a van she sweet as

Offline griffdog

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 10:08:06 PM »
Thanks - your just up the road.  We certainly love the old dove.  Glad to hear you are happy with your purchase.  You really cant go wrong as long as the canvas is OK on them and you keep an eye on the winding mechanism.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 12:51:49 PM »
Welcome to MySwag, a great looking setup that looks well used which is great

GG

Offline rose62

• Sleeping Bag User