Author Topic: Awning lift  (Read 3676 times)

Offline Borbo

• Learning the Ropes
Awning lift
« on: July 27, 2018, 10:50:30 AM »
Hi All.
I'm building my own camper trailer and at the camping show here in Perth I looked at the Patriot range of camper trailers. I have enquired with them about their Awning lift, Gas strut assisted, to see if these are available for separate sale and have been told NO. I've looked on the Net to see if anything is available with no luck. does anyone here know of a similar lift. i need to get my awning from travel position up about 400mm to get a good slope.
thanks First time poster
Greg

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Awning lift
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 12:04:57 PM »
I haven't seen their system up close but are you equipped to make your own?

You could either make something from RHS that telescopes inside its self and is pushed up with gas struts.

or

some sort of parallelogram bracket arrangement so the whole awning folds forward and locks down for transport, then when released some struts push it up, aft and hold it there when you want to use it. That would involve the whole thing shunting 400mm though.

or

after a bit of googling, it looks like they have a modified scissor hinge arrangement. If you don't have access to a sheet metal folder, then it would be difficult to make the channels that they have used to put it together and make it look neat...

but,

car wreckers... stay with me here...

get a scissor jack for stuff all, cut it in 1/2 through the base plate and the lifting lug and put 1/2 at each end of your awning. Its very sturdy and shouldn't rattle, lays reasonably flat as it will nest within its self, all the bushes and pivots are already there, its steel so you can weld bits to it and best of all its cheap ($18 delivered on eBay).
The newer shape Ranger/BT50have one that would go close to the height you require.

Using the screw thread would be impractical, but again you could lock it in the up position with gas struts and do a chin up to stow it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 12:11:05 PM by Hoyks »
The following users thanked this post: Noriek

Offline phrothy

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 01:16:40 PM »
Check out Drifta as they have been using them on their DOT range of trailers both motorised and hand lifted

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 01:40:29 PM »
You could do something similar to what Miazorra has done, flipping the hinge around or using a longer arm would give you more lift. http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=7097.msg952817#msg952817

Offline sonof8pies

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 06:20:58 PM »
Have a look at adventure offroad campers their awning slides up anoit that much although not gas assisted

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 03:47:57 PM »