Author Topic: Advice on driving lights  (Read 2382 times)

Offline thommo19

• Soft Floor Camper User
Advice on driving lights
« on: February 19, 2016, 10:55:38 AM »
4WD super centre has a special on lights two 9" driving lights $299 or 22" light bar $79.
What do you guys think good value or waste of money. I realise that the quality would not be as good as the ARB lights etc ,but price seems good.
Jeff

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Advice on driving lights
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 11:11:16 AM »
Mate I have only just purchased the 9" leds for a work vehicle and found that they appear to be a solid unit. They pump out the light but as they are 9" they aren't as focused a beam as I would like but it was a trade off in focus for more power (185w). I haven't used the diffuser / spread cover as they spread enough on their own.

The connectors etc all seemed to be pretty heavy duty

Have only had them on for just under two weeks but am happy so far. Longevity will only be determined by time

Rod

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 08:46:55 PM »
Led lighting is very personal. What suits one person may not suit another.

Led lights will give you the spread and reasonable distance being say 400 to 500mtrs. Some people want up to a kilometer with lights while others don't.

Reflection off road signs is the drawback but in saying that Leds do give plenty of light.

It also depends on what leds are used, Cree, Osram, Epistar etc and also what size of the leds, 3 watt, 5 watt or 10watt. This will have a large bearing on the output of the light.

I have close to 800watts of led lights as driving in the desert they are needed. The light bar has 5 watt Osram leds and the driving lights are 5 watt Cree leds.

Make sure you have set them up with separate switches.

Mark
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 08:51:29 PM by McGirr »
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 12:57:48 AM »
4WD super centre has a special on lights two 9" driving lights $299 or 22" light bar $79.
What do you guys think good value or waste of money. I realise that the quality would not be as good as the ARB lights etc ,but price seems good.
Jeff

Mate from work has had a set for about a month - absolutely loves them.
Suits his driving needs as they throw plenty of near end light to help spot kamikaze skippies.
He reckoned the harness & relay were a bit cheap so he supplied his own.

Offline thommo19

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 05:58:26 AM »
Thanks for or thoughts . As the saying goes you get what you pay for,but I think they are probably OK value.
Jeff

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 06:19:09 AM »
Mate

I have just purchased a similar set of 9 inch 180w Cree LED spoties, which are a Chinese copy of the ARB lights basically. I replace a set of IPF 900's that have been converted had been concerted to HID with a 70w kit.

The HIDs penetrate much further up the road than the LED, however the LEDs provide much more light especially in the 200m or so close to the vehicle, particularly to the sides of the road. They light up all of the houses on both some of the street as you drive and there are no dark patches close to the vehicle.

I am in Bathurst so skippy is an issue and these are a more sensible light for that type of driving even though they don't punch up the road as far.

They are very bright and do reflect off road sign etc but so did the HIDs.

I have the IPFs for sale if you know anyone who is after a set. $200

Regards

Jas