Author Topic: After some Fraser Island Info !!  (Read 6196 times)

Offline wholehog

• "Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
After some Fraser Island Info !!
« on: November 05, 2012, 02:40:24 PM »
Out of the blue the other night i said to my wife"Lets go to Fraser Island"
She was all for it,but cause i just threw it at her randomly i had no answers to the barrage of questions that followed
* When is it best to go.....what about the sandflies?... Um..dunno hun.....
*Where can u camp...can we swin on the beach?... um...i'll check babe.....
*What about the dingoes.... Will they bother me?..... NA....... well maybe....um..dunno
* Mary went and hubby says "Kingfisher is the best entry".....I heard Inskip hunny.... but i take a peek
* we will have to take a Portapotti thing..... im not digging a hole.......Ok luv
* What do we do when we are there...Are the kids going to have fun(14 year old)

So what i want/NEED is peoples opinions ..maybe some piks of places that u consider a standout....
Where u think its good to camp etc etc.. if we intend to just beach camp..is that a viable proposition? etc

We have a capable fourby with straps etc and our camper is up to the challenge ...
just need some info and opinions
Cheers
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 03:06:38 PM by wholehog »

Offline rockygu4.8

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Fraser Island Info
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 03:05:45 PM »
She was all for it,but cause i just threw it at her randomly i had no answers to the barrage of questions that followed
*What about the dingoes.... Will they bother me?..... NA....... well maybe....um..dunno
* Mary went and hubby says "Kingfisher is the best entry".....I heard Inskip hunny.... but i take a peek
* we will have to take a Portapotti thing..... im not digging a hole.......Ok luv

So what i want/NEED is peoples opinions ..maybe some piks of places that u consider a standout....
Where u think its good to camp etc etc.. if we intend to just beach camp..is that a viable proposition? etc

We have a capable fourby with straps etc and our camper is up to the challenge ...
Cheers
wow some questions there. Ok access to fraser is personal preference if coming from Bris Vegas Inskip is the go no booking a barge time you can book online for the barge suggest manta ray the green barges privately owned. Can get soft there so tyres down first just need to watch tides as need low to get around hook pt. we usually use river heads barge to kingfisher but with the new camper being so long you can have trouble getting off the track just out of the resort if req'd thats the wife speaking anyway. Now for sandies no real big drama on the eastern beach western beach can get a bit bitey at times wathumba crk etc. suggest beach camp or dundaburra it's fenced showers hot ones at that one dollar for 3'mins plus the whole campground is fenced so no dingo problem. We have 3 teenage boys around your age they love it boogie boards fishing gear sand boards, cricket gear kites etc all good fun enjoy. Will leave some for others comment. Another 4 wks for us at Xmas can't wait

4.8 litre Gu Patrol
2006 Goldstream Storm
2010 Armadilo Arma X

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: After some Fraser Island Info !!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 07:33:06 PM »
* When is it best to go.....what about the sandflies?... Um..dunno hun..... No problems. Use some rid and a mozzie coil
*Where can u camp...can we swin on the beach?... um...i'll check babe.....Waddy Point for a splash.
*What about the dingoes.... Will they bother me?..... NA....... well maybe....um..dunno. Not really
* Mary went and hubby says "Kingfisher is the best entry".....I heard Inskip hunny.... but i take a peek. Inskip by far.
* we will have to take a Portapotti thing..... im not digging a hole.......Ok luv.Yea and find a NP campsite for a change room and dunny
* What do we do when we are there...Are the kids going to have fun(14 year old) Yep. cruise around and see eaps of stuff

Where u think its good to camp etc etc.. if we intend to just beach camp..is that a viable proposition? etc Yep beach is the best way to go.

Cheers

Go for it and have fun.

Cheers Nomad in lime green.
 :cheers:

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 07:37:13 PM »

*when best to go.......any time that's not school holidays IMHO. sandflies not such a problem on Eastern Beach but March flies are.
*where can you camp...plenty of designated campgrounds on the island aswell as anywhere on the Eastern Beach that doesn't have a no camping sign at it for a start. getting into a campground in holiday period may be difficult at this late point in time, but out of holidays is not so bad.
*what about dingos......tie a few snags around your neck and lie down to sunbake and fall asleep and they'll likely bother you, keep all food and rubbish locked away and don't walk tracks alone and they won't be a problem. young kids need to be watched 24 / 7 IMHO, older kids not as much a problem due to their size, but don't let them wander to far from camp alone just incase.
*which barge.....coming from the South use Inskip, coming from North then the answer is different.
*the loo question....if you camp on beach near a campground you can use the loos there, or take a porta potti etc. you could also take a toilet tent and dig a very very deep hole and place toilet over it and use sand you dug out of hole to fill hole back in as you go. be sure to not dig holes where people will be camping in the future, and leave plenty of room to put heaps of sand back over top of hole you dug when finished.
*what to do when there...RELAX and explore the island also. climb Indian Head, swim at Eli Creek, swim in the ocean (watch for rips and sharks  ;) ), swim in the lakes, visit Lake Allom to see the turtles, fish from the beach, fly a kite with the kids, visit the old logging area of central station etc etc
enjoy it's a great place  8) 8)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 07:40:06 PM by Rumpig »
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline timneva

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Prado GXL and Cub CT
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 07:50:10 PM »
G'day Wholehog,

Theres so much Fraser info on here and plenty of pics - try searching for some of the Fraser Trip Reports.

Re Camping, there's miles of campsites on the eastern beach and a couple inland as well as fenced off camping areas. Have a look at the QLD NP site http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/fraser/camping.html
It also has info on dingoes etc but we've never had a problem. As long as you take the recommended precautions - pack your food away and most importantly - keep an eye on the kids.
We've always gone in through Inskip Pt and Manta Ray barges and, as with all sand driving - tyre pressures are the key!!

Cheers,
Tim

Offline Paj880

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 08:01:10 PM »
Hi rumpig
We just got back from our first trip to Fraser. We camped at central station which was a bad choice as it takes too long to get anywhere because the inland tracks were so chopped up and we spent the whole time in the car. Beach camping further up north looks like the go, some beautiful spots. Waddy point was my favorite with the foreshore lake to swim right out front of campsites and orchid beach store/servo/pub nearby. Everyone seems to advise no ocean swimming which is a bummer. Inskip has great beachfront camping before you head over and there is a water station at rainbow beach to top up your tanks for free.
Saw heaps of cars get bogged coming off barge at inskip but with tyres down and heavy camper we had no issues.
Oh yeah, take your grog with you, carton of beer was over $80 at eurong. Bread and other basics were not too bad.
Have fun
Darren
2011 Pajero RX with Coopers and 2010 Lifestyle Extenda with mods. Work gets in the way

Offline Clouty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 08:13:56 PM »
As everyone else has said before us..
If time permits on your trip, try and get to the tip and have look around.. If going try and hook up with someone else cause the rocks north of orchid beach get a bit tricky...
Have fun it's a great place to see...

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 08:35:35 PM »
Hi rumpig
We just got back from our first trip to Fraser. We camped at central station which was a bad choice as it takes too long to get anywhere because the inland tracks were so chopped up and we spent the whole time in the car. Beach camping further up north looks like the go, some beautiful spots. Waddy point was my favorite with the foreshore lake to swim right out front of campsites and orchid beach store/servo/pub nearby. Everyone seems to advise no ocean swimming which is a bummer. Inskip has great beachfront camping before you head over and there is a water station at rainbow beach to top up your tanks for free.
Saw heaps of cars get bogged coming off barge at inskip but with tyres down and heavy camper we had no issues.
Oh yeah, take your grog with you, carton of beer was over $80 at eurong. Bread and other basics were not too bad.
Have fun
Darren
we always beach camp on the Eastern beach ourselves these days Darren, it's a much nicer option IMHO. we used to camp in a tent at the old Central Station campground many many years ago, back when it was the green grassey area at the logging camp, that spot was so much nicer then the campground they now have these days. we used to drive to Lake Birrabean and have the place to ourselves a lot of the time, plenty of people avoided it due to the steep sand hill you had to negotiate to get back up, these days it's matted now and a non issue.  the island has changed a lot these days though from what it was back then....lol. as you've said, Waddy Point is a great spot to swim at, especially for people with little kids.
cheers
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Mallory Black

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 10:01:43 PM »
whole hog this site's loaded with reports and Q & A's about Fraser. check out the trip reports

The swaggers did a trip in July and there's also loads in there too.

But yes, eastern beach is nice. Agree with comments about not basing at central station if it's the beach you want to be at

By the sound of Mrs WH's comments I'd suggest booking a camp site that has amenities like Waddy Point or Dundaburra, there are others not just those

If you are a confident sand driver then punching over Indian head and setting up round Waddy Point is the go. It's a nice spot and lots to see and do in that general area

Yes some things on the island are expensive but think about what the shopkeepers have to do to get the stuff there. Don't be tempted into overloading your rig trying to save a few bucks

Main thing is watch the overall  weight of your vehicle and camper. We go over with minimal water in our tanks because there's plenty of spots you can get water once set up, we take a supply of empty plastic jerries and food grade hose to hook up to the taps to keep the taste good. The fresh drinking water on Fraser is really, really nice! So that lets us take 80-100 kg more food and (Booze) in theory

You won't need as many clothes as you think but try convincing any female grown up or otherwise of that!

But you WILL need to pack a very good first aid as there's no hospitals or medical centre. focus on burns, stings foot and eye injuries and have a good pair of side cutters in the tool kit in case someone hooks up on themselves LOL. we have a thread on that too
1998 3.4V6 Prado & homebuilt rear fold soft floor

Offline wholehog

• "Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 05:04:47 PM »
Thanks for the input people.....Definatelly going to do it....Perhaps the last weeks of school holidays after Xmas, i have a 13 years old boy and while he wouldnt mind a couple of weeks of school i rekon he should be there.
Perhaps most will be getting ready to leave and head home by then...descisions,descisions :-\ :-\ :4x4:

Offline ewwreckers

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 07:43:08 PM »
Great info guys...must remember them for when we go in 8 weeks :D
Cheers
Vanessa

$150 Jackaroo + $1600 CT = One helluva happy family!

"Got my toes in the water,
ass in the sand,
not a worry in the world,
a cold beer in my hand,
Life is good today, life is good today"

Offline Butsy

• Sleeping Bag User
  • If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 05:20:11 PM »
Was there in January this year for 7 nights. 4 days superb and last 3 crappy with wind and rain.  We camped on the beach about 1km north of the Maheno wreck. Eli Creek is definately an all day trip just lounging around. great for the kids if you bring qa blow up mattress or skim board. Take the single burner with gas can to cook up sausages on bread for lunch. back the 4WD in and set up the gazebo on the edge of the creek. nice to just relax. best stop for the grown ups to relax and take a dip is about 10 metres other side of the walk way bridge.  Lake Mackenzie is another day trip. carry the gazebo down and set it up in the water. no food allowed around the lake, you have to eat in the dingo proof fenced off area up near the toilets. The trip to champagne pools for us was 1/2 a day as the water was very discoloured and wasn't really champagne lol. Lake Wabby is a nice walk in about 2km I think. Towels and a carry bag for water is essential. spent 1/2 a day there swimming amongst the catfish and the little fish that nip your shins and toes. Dingoes were no problems. March flies are big but you get used to them. Pick a spot close to a fresh run off so the kids can frolick in the water. Porta potti and an ensuite is ideal. petrol was $2.1o unleaded and $2.05 diesel a litre. a few spots to choose but take 40 - 60 litres. Public hot showers for $3 at Dundubara as well as water. Milk and ice was $5 each at the shops. "roads" are easy inland except when it gets real wet then they become quite soft and boggy. ruts are the biggest killer and end up about 1 foot deep and you scrape the bottom of the truck. tore my rear bumper going up one of the hills because it was snow plowing. snatchy, long shovel and max trax essential. bypass track around Indian Head is very soft and sand gets very very very hot. Slow down after the first rise as it is pot holed and speed bumpy on the saddle part before the second small rise. Found that out the hard way lol. Time your drives with the low tides. Summing up - it is a magical place and well worth the trip.
2005 GLS Pajero - yet to be tricked up.

2007 Lifestyle 360

nbd73

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 06:17:11 PM »
If you want something a little different to most suggestions, and you don't mind mossies ( provided you have suitably prepared yourself) then Wathumba Creek is worthy of a day trip if you are staying at top end of island. There is a camp ground there, but not sure how much use it gets , given the mosquito presence. But, venture down to the water front and its all good. Yabbies to collect (the BEST fresh bait for whiting and bream) and safe swimming for juniors. Flathead are plentiful in this area too. Worth a look as something different

Offline Kalebjarrod

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 06:51:29 PM »
When people say lock up your food they mean it, this means a strap around your esky, they will pop lids

Lock up your shampoo, toilet paper, deodorant, sunscreen, salt and pepper anything that smells

Put your rubbish in the back of your truck and take it away everyday, the dingos don't seem to bother people but they will get ino camp as soon as your back is turned.

Other than that watch out for numbats, they drive under equipped 4x4 with there tyres pumped up, they also seem to carry a lack of nessecary camping gear
HILUX D4D + LIFESTYLE WALKTHROUGH

Offline sup8pdct

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 07:52:44 PM »
A porta potty is highly recommended and encouraged by the rangers as fines may be handed out. (tho with Qld gov cut backs, they may not care any more). They wish to stop burying waste in the sand as others have dug in to other burials and have gotten very sick, also as it is a national park, must tread lightly etc.
There are several dump points on the island and more are going in.

James

Offline RWS

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 08:47:27 PM »

There are several dump points on the island and more are going in.

James

X2

From the Qld Goverments National Pks website

Portable toilet waste disposal facilities are located at:

•   Waddy Point: approximately 400 m south of Orchid Beach service station.
•   Dundubara: on the Dundubara entrance track.
•   Woralie Road: at the beach entrance of the road near K’Gari private camping area.
•   Cornwells camping zone: at the beach entrance of Cornwells Break Road.
•   Wangoolba Creek barge landing: adjacent to toilet facilities.
•   Hook Point: at the intersection of Hook Point inland road and the 11 km beach acc