Author Topic: PC Equality  (Read 7225 times)

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: PC Equality
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2019, 09:35:07 AM »
So I just in the middle of changing ISP's and needed a new 'generic' email addy.. so registered another Gmail.

Under sex...
MALE....
FELAME...
Rather not say...
or.......
CUSTOM!!!! WTF is custom?!

Did a survey a while back &, as always, they asked for gender.

Choices:

Male

Female

Non-binary

Transgender

Gender Fluid

Other (Specify)

???

Have done another one since that had I think 8 or 9 options ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2019, 02:25:55 PM »
Although it is lower than it has been in the last 10 years, it still exists. Well according to statistics it does.
https://www.wgea.gov.au/data/fact-sheets/gender-pay-gap-statistics-2017-18

Stats are wonderful things.  Percentages really are a very inadequate way of measuring things.  Male and Female doing the same job should earn the same pay.  Just because the greater percentage of males are on a higher pay scale does not mean there is a gender pay gap.  Just means there are less woman doing the higher paid jobs. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2019, 06:13:51 PM »
Stats are wonderful things.  Percentages really are a very inadequate way of measuring things.  Male and Female doing the same job should earn the same pay.  Just because the greater percentage of males are on a higher pay scale does not mean there is a gender pay gap.  Just means there are less woman doing the higher paid jobs.

Wow........THANK YOU.

A common sense approach to a subject.
I agree statistics and percentages can be manipulated to prove anything you want.

100% of farmers killed on quad bikes were wearing pants at the time, so the evidence shows that pants are dangerous!!!!
Political spin can be put on anything.
Common sense needs to prevail.

Are you ready to run for parliament???
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2019, 06:30:28 PM »
Wow........THANK YOU.

A common sense approach to a subject.
I agree statistics and percentages can be manipulated to prove anything you want.

100% of farmers killed on quad bikes were wearing pants at the time, so the evidence shows that pants are dangerous!!!!
Political spin can be put on anything.
Common sense needs to prevail.

Are you ready to run for parliament???

8) just trying to be Medically Retired, already had enough of dealing with certain members of the Community
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2019, 08:14:39 PM »

"Most people use statistics like a drunk using a lamppost. More for support than illumination."  - Mark Twain
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2019, 11:15:44 PM »

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/what-can-uber-teach-us-about-the-gender-pay-gap/

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2019, 09:06:09 AM »
Interesting article.

One really good bit that I saw was this:

"What is the overall driver attrition rate? I don’t know whether it’s measured in six months or a year, or whatever.

DIAMOND: Yes, six months is what we’ve been looking at.

LIST: More than 60 percent of those who start driving are no longer active on the platform six months later.

DIAMOND: So the six-month attrition rate for the whole U.S. for men is about 63 percent, and for women it’s about 76 percent."

63% of blokes & 76% of women have given it away before the end of their first 6 months :o

I think that says everything you ever wanted to know about driving for Uber! >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2019, 11:09:27 AM »
So in the light of the posts on Gender Pay Gap, we should be looking at anecdotal observation rather than actual numbers. OK, now I get it.

ABS and WGEA data both show a gender pay gap favouring full-time working men over full-time working women in every industry and occupational category in Australia.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2019, 11:29:09 AM »

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2019, 11:53:34 AM »
So in the light of the posts on Gender Pay Gap, we should be looking at anecdotal observation rather than actual numbers. OK, now I get it.

There isn't a question in regard to who earns more, that is obviously males, but the question in regard to the gender pay gap is are males earning more than females because they are males, when you do a multivariate analysis (taking into account time in the workforce, risk loadings etc etc etc) the gender pay gap disappears.

If you want some research to back it up it's here https://www.aeaweb.org/articles?id=10.1257/jel.20160995

And anecdotally, if business owners could pay women less to do the same job, I think they would all be employing women.

And for a laugh, this interview is worth a watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcjxSThD54 start at about 5:20 for the gender pay gap bit.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 12:09:20 PM by tryagain »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2019, 01:21:02 PM »
I know the women here at work spend at least 5x the amount of time talking gossip and outside smoking than the blokes.

One of the previous places I worked I got the Shits with the amount of time the smokers took, so I joined them one day... the boss didn't take it well and a new policy came out week later, and that was the end of my time there.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2019, 03:42:21 PM »
I know the women here at work spend at least 5x the amount of time talking gossip and outside smoking than the blokes.

One of the previous places I worked I got the Shits with the amount of time the smokers took, so I joined them one day... the boss didn't take it well and a new policy came out week later, and that was the end of my time there.

The majority of the time I spend outside smoking (or vaping depending on the day) is spent catching up with colleagues about work stuff without the interruptions of phones ringing etc... I also learn a lot about what other departments are up to, which has been of benefit in the past.
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2019, 04:02:43 PM »
The majority of the time I spend outside smoking (or vaping depending on the day) is spent catching up with colleagues about work stuff without the interruptions of phones ringing etc... I also learn a lot about what other departments are up to, which has been of benefit in the past.
We have a BBQ occasionally to do that.. suggested to boss one day to buy a cheap bunnings BBQ - and he did! we've had several now, with different dept's taking turns to run it, but always snags and arseholes :D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2019, 06:33:34 PM »

Not just smokers wasting time. Go-Out-For-Coffee drinkers have jumped on the take-it-easy bandwagon too....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2019, 09:17:14 PM »
Not just smokers wasting time. Go-Out-For-Coffee drinkers have jumped on the take-it-easy bandwagon too....
Our whole financial department stops for almost 2 hours everyday while they dawdle down to the cafe and get a round of soy decaf lattes a couple of times a day..... ::)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2019, 09:26:32 PM »
Our whole financial department stops for almost 2 hours everyday while they dawdle down to the cafe and get a round of soy decaf lattes a couple of times a day..... ::)

Time to bring back the old clock in clock off cards.  Come pay day, get paid for the amount of time you are actually on the job, not just at 'work'.   8)
Cheers

Al and/or Jan