Author Topic: Not another computer problem ??  (Read 7566 times)

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
Not another computer problem ??
« on: March 16, 2021, 07:52:39 AM »
Every time I've asked about a problem, I've had a solution from you blokes !! :cheers:

Here goes.....HP printer 4500 series running on single cartridge mode ( non genuine cartridge) used to run normal on windows7.
Now on win10, used to do strange things but generally could get it to print. Now when I try and scan to computer it says no computer found. But it is connected to the network.

Laptop...HP Elitebook 8440p....won't print....look in printer settings, no toner/ink...fair enough, it thinks no ink, won't print.
Go into the HP app, it says printer in single cartridge mode, plenty of ink.  Says the printer is connected, and will scan to computer using the app....can tell the printer to run test pages and prints them but won't print from computer.
Have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer.

Solutions ??  The price of 2 new HP cartridges is almost the price of a new printer ( brand X who cares )..but is that the problem ?

Have tried google, but nothing matches the problem I'm having ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Not another computer problem ??
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 08:04:12 AM »
Wired or wireless?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 08:09:33 AM »
Wireless.  Hadn't even thought about finding a compatible lead and trying it wired ? But the computer does talk to the printer...at least for some functions..

« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 08:11:05 AM by gronk »
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Wazza999

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 11:56:59 AM »
I lost the wireless capability of my basic Brother B&W laser about 2 years ago with either a router change or a Win10 update, never figured out which. Now we are empty nesters, it's use is minimal and I really couldn't be bothered diagnosing. Low and behold it came back a month or two ago! When I was at my sister's house, her Epson multifunction device continued to work with the my computer the entire time. Methinks a router issue.
NT Pajero/2007 Goldstream Crown

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 12:55:28 PM »
I lost the wireless capability of my basic Brother B&W laser about 2 years ago with either a router change or a Win10 update, never figured out which. Now we are empty nesters, it's use is minimal and I really couldn't be bothered diagnosing. Low and behold it came back a month or two ago! When I was at my sister's house, her Epson multifunction device continued to work with the my computer the entire time. Methinks a router issue.

But it's connected to the router, says it can't see the computer, but the computer can see it, the computer can tell it to send a scan to documents and print test pages .

Just tried to print again using the HP app...it comes up and says no ink, although in it's settings the app says single cartridge mode and plenty of ink...sat there for 20 mins......then opened the control panel settings and ran the troubleshooter...said no ink but 2 seconds later printed the document ?????   WTF ??
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 01:18:22 PM »
But it's connected to the router, says it can't see the computer, but the computer can see it, the computer can tell it to send a scan to documents and print test pages .

Just tried to print again using the HP app...it comes up and says no ink, although in it's settings the app says single cartridge mode and plenty of ink...sat there for 20 mins......then opened the control panel settings and ran the troubleshooter...said no ink but 2 seconds later printed the document ?????   WTF ??
change the cartridges to full ones :P then try again
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 01:42:23 PM »
a couple of things to try...

might be worthwhile trying a genuine set of cartridges... non-genuine can have some funny effects...

also, make sure you have the latest drivers for the printer on your laptop, as well as the latest firmware on your printer....

Offline Wazza999

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 01:46:10 PM »
I reckon first port of call is to connect via usb, if it's really a printer cartridge issue it shouldn't go away.
The following users thanked this post: gronk

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 02:01:46 PM »
change the cartridges to full ones :P then try again

The black non genuine cartridge is nearly full.

That's where the problem is...2 new cartridges are approx $60 and no guarantee I've fixed the problem.

A new HP, Epsom, Canon printer ...$60....and still no guarantee I've fixed the problem ?

It seems I have a work around for now.....and I print on average once a month max, but it is a pain !
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Wazza999

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 02:11:14 PM »
I'd beg, borrow or steal a cable and try that. Even if you have to buy one, $5.95 on ebay one week delivery.

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 02:58:25 PM »
I'd beg, borrow or steal a cable and try that. Even if you have to buy one, $5.95 on ebay one week delivery.

Found the cable for it.....made no difference. Ran the troubleshooter again, found no problem this time but still printed ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2021, 04:12:30 PM »
Latest round of Widows updates has borked heaps of printers. Basically causing a BSOD when printing but it may have also caused other issues. They released an emergency patch last night.
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2021, 05:36:44 PM »
Latest round of Widows updates has borked heaps of printers. Basically causing a BSOD when printing but it may have also caused other issues. They released an emergency patch last night.

Win 10 is a pain...nothing works seamlessly.
These patches, do they update automatically like the rest of their crap.........which you can't stop !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2021, 06:08:54 PM »
Win 10 is a pain...nothing works seamlessly.
These patches, do they update automatically like the rest of their crap.........which you can't stop !!

there are ways to pause/stop updates from applying, if you choose to do so.  i wouldn't.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

plenty of more reasonable explanations to consider with this issue, before blaming the OS...

the printer issue previously mentioned was only for specific brands of printers, which aren't yours, and was causing specific BSOD errors:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/11/22326083/windows-10-security-update-bug-printer-crash-kyocera-ricoh-zebra-microsoft

here's a specific HP site for issues with Windows 10:

https://support.hp.com/au-en/help/windows-10-support-center-printing

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2021, 07:49:06 PM »

here's a specific HP site for issues with Windows 10:

All those updates were already done.  I'll use the scan doctor thing tomorrow and see if anything comes up ?

Funny how I can open the HP app and in one section it says no printer connected, but you click on the network settings and it is active and connected ?

Try and print from the app, and the document will sit in the pending queue......go to the windows settings and printers and click on troubleshoot and it will start printing ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2021, 06:22:13 AM »
like i said, might be worth trying a new genuine cartridge...

or, remove all traces of the printer from your computer and reinstall from scratch...

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2021, 07:23:58 AM »
like i said, might be worth trying a new genuine cartridge...

or, remove all traces of the printer from your computer and reinstall from scratch...

I did an uninstall, not sure if that removed all traces.
In the printer.....at the printer, it looks like it can't see the computer, but I can't find any settings in it to diagnose or search for it.
I'll bumble my way around for a while again today.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2021, 07:45:31 AM »
I did an uninstall, not sure if that removed all traces.
In the printer.....at the printer, it looks like it can't see the computer, but I can't find any settings in it to diagnose or search for it.
I'll bumble my way around for a while again today.

uninstall any printer software and also go into the printer settings page and delete the printer itself (click on the printer and select 'Remove Device'), if possible...

when reconnecting, try and use a cable first (as previously advised).  this will remove network/router from the equation in the first instance.

Offline Wazza999

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2021, 07:48:07 AM »
I once had a ghost HP printer that wouldn't go away on a work pc (winXP).  Required registry editing to purge, so all traces can be difficult to erase.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2021, 07:59:07 AM »
Our HP 3560 printer works fine on wireless most of the time, but if anything happens to the internet (change router, sometimes on changing IP, sometimes even when the router only has to be re-booted) then the printer will disconnect & we need to plug in a cable to get it to reset. After that it's fine on wireless again ???

This last week, it's ink is also doing strange things ??? Says that generic black ink is half full, but printing B&W doesn't work as words are only just visible & half of them are missing altogether, which suggests the cartridge is empty, but if you tell it to print in colour, it prints the whole page fine, but in sort of dark grey, not black ???

$40 each for genuine HP cartridges or $9 for a 4-pack off FleaBay, so I'll see how they go when they get here in a few days! ;D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2021, 10:19:58 AM »
uninstall any printer software and also go into the printer settings page and delete the printer itself (click on the printer and select 'Remove Device'), if possible...

when reconnecting, try and use a cable first (as previously advised).  this will remove network/router from the equation in the first instance.

I'll try that again !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2021, 02:24:45 PM »
I'm done, dusted , finished !!

Deleted everything...started from scratch.....via cable 1st, then wireless, printer doesn't see the computer. Computer sees the printer.

Can scan to computer, but only using the HP app. Can send a document to printer to print via app or right clicking on a document, but will only print after running the troubleshooter in printer settings ??

2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2021, 02:25:54 PM »
Somethings not right....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2021, 03:07:07 PM »
Did you use fresh drivers for the reinstall?

As Bird says... very weird...

May be that the unit is busted.  Can you install on something else to isolate issue with computer or printer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2021, 03:16:36 PM »
Did you use fresh drivers for the reinstall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I used fresh drivers yesterday ? Got them from HP site .
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra