Author Topic: Austrack campers  (Read 14391 times)

Offline mark40

• Swag User
Austrack campers
« on: November 28, 2010, 03:59:10 PM »
Have been looking for a while on various websites to buy our first camper. Have seen many brands for sale but only 1 Austrack.  They look very good but I am concerned about the Ripstop canvas. Can anyone shed some light on these type of canvas?

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Austrack campers
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 06:17:10 PM »
Have been looking for a while on various websites to buy our first camper. Have seen many brands for sale but only 1 Austrack.  They look very good but I am concerned about the Ripstop canvas. Can anyone shed some light on these type of canvas?

Ripstop canvas is another type of canvas manufacture process, basically where with a noraml piece of canvas, it is whole and one plane piece. Ripstop canvass, basically is a pattern manufactured into the canvas material which is to provide more strength and anti taring properties.
So when you look at a quality Ripstop canvas, you will see little triangles or squares manufactured into the canvas material proper.

This type of manufacture process was developed for the military with repect to parachute material.

Now for the rub, which means the chinese manufacturer of this Ripstop canvas can have quality problems. This is not to mean that all chinese ripstop canvas is of poor quality, but beware...importers like taking money and a less to give explainations why you have a leaking Ripstop canvas tent. The forums are full of Cheap Ripstop canvas problems with leaking...

Australian manufacturers have their own Australian standards for canvas manufacture, they also produce Ripstop canvas, they give guantees on their quality of their manufacture.

Offline mark40

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 06:20:48 PM »
Thanks Morgue.

I have seen Ripstop with Polyweave floors and PVC floors. Polyweave ones look real crappy. Do you know any aussie makers of Ripstop? Not sure if Austrack is locally made or not.

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 09:35:16 PM »
Austrack tents are imported but I would rate them fairly highly.
We bought one for our own trailer and the first outing it rained for 3 days. No leaks that were not my fault through bad set up.
They have a solid pvc tub floor and have an optional storm cover that is good value.
The poles are good and everthing you need comes with it.

Mind you, I only have a Coleman dome tent to compare it to. Good value for the money I think.
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Offline hairymick

• Tent User
  • 2010 Nissan Navara D22, 2005 Kimberly Escape
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 06:59:38 AM »
Mate, Evie and I have an Austrack.

We have only had it about 4 months now and we love it to bits.

The quality of the canvas is fine. We have never had any problems or leaks and one trip we did, we were hit with torrential rain and howling wind. At a guess, I would call the wind gusts that night to have exceeded 50 knots.

Apart from a couple of tents in the park, we were the only camp to have escaped undamaged.

Some images from the morning after.

This last one was taken while the wind was measured at 30 knots. if felt like a gentle breeze after the horror night before.

As I said, Don't be concerned about the quality of the canvass or the rest of the trailer for that matter. Austrack quality is as good or better than any soft floor camper I have seen.

I have no commercial interest in Austrack. Just a VERY  satisfied customer.
Cheers,
Mick

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 07:03:18 AM »

At first glance I thought somebody had lost an arm in this picture
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline mark40

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 07:41:09 AM »
G'day Hairymick,

Thanks for the info. I have spoken to Austrack and they were really helpful getting the setup correct and the price was pretty good too.

Looks like it held up really well. We went through a similar thing in Longreach a couple of months ago in a tent. Trashed the camp and bent a few poles but I guess that's half the fun of camping.

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 08:32:33 PM »
At first glance I thought somebody had lost an arm in this picture

x2
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

crackacoldie

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 09:10:14 AM »