Author Topic: Washing machine repairs any experts?  (Read 5116 times)

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
Washing machine repairs any experts?
« on: August 21, 2016, 09:25:25 AM »
Have a 6yo Simpson. It's dribbling water into the tub when off. Presuming it must be the water inlet valve? https://shop.onlineappliancespares.com.au/part/0136200082-1882/36656

Anything I could be missing? Presume it has one for hot and one for cold? Was going to try swapping them over as we don't use hot?

Am I missing anything?

Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline banksy69

• Swag User
Re: Washing machine repairs any experts?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 09:47:20 AM »
Yep it will have hot & cold.
Swap hose & the 2 wires on solenoids.
Note some machines add hot water to the cold cycle as well. [fisher & paykel do on some models]
The following users thanked this post: achjimmy

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 10:06:43 AM »
Yep it will have hot & cold.
Swap hose & the 2 wires on solenoids.
Note some machines add hot water to the cold cycle as well. [fisher & paykel do on some models]

Thanks banksy no this machine doesn't use hot water

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 11:37:21 AM »
All fixed thanks to banksy. Mega brownie points scored so back onto my van and car mods  :cheers:

Jim
The following users thanked this post: banksy69

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 11:37:44 AM »
The ones I have played with the solenoids were interchangeable, the only difference being the hot water one was red plastic, although the blue had better heat resistance ???.

And make sure you don't have any 'helpers'

My kids thought they would help by plugging in the machine while I was ankle deep in soapy water (pump blockage). I brushed my elbow on the solenoids while getting out from behind the machine and just about got thrown through the wall.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 11:46:05 AM »
Thanks banksy no this machine doesn't use hot water
Yes I have swapped the hot solenoid inlet valve over on a previous Simpson when we only used cold water washing and the cold valve wouldn't open (ie the washer wouldn't fill) so if the seat was leaking on a cold inlet you could do the same. Talking about top loaders here but front loaders tend to only have a single cold water hose so you'd fit a new solenoid valve in that case where it's not shutting off completely.

Always had Simpsons from the day we kicked off with a secondhand Minimatic flatting but the penultimate new one took longer to wash and the last one so atrociously long that I peed it off on Gumtree after a year and bit the bullet with a Speed Queen like the cara parks use. Not Simpson's fault but the Greeny regulators have been forcing all manufacturers to reduce peak load on the grid and spread the washing time out. Don't try and put a price on my time or the space travellers banging in my ear ;)
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 12:05:39 PM »
Had a kleenmaid rebagded speed queen for 22 years. Only issue was a timer which was fixed with wd40  ;D. Still going in the end but the wife got tired of the Niose and we have a slightly off level floor and it was always a battle leveling it and stopping it from dancing across the room. I would have bought another one after the zillion of issues with this Simpson but the wife's reluctant. The speed queen is the perfect IMO.

Jim

Offline banksy69

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 02:43:52 PM »
All fixed thanks to banksy. Mega brownie points scored so back onto my van and car mods  :cheers:

No probs,
BTW - Agree speed queen are up there.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 03:49:24 PM »
Had a kleenmaid rebagded speed queen for 22 years. Only issue was a timer which was fixed with wd40  ;D. Still going in the end but the wife got tired of the Niose and we have a slightly off level floor and it was always a battle leveling it and stopping it from dancing across the room. I would have bought another one after the zillion of issues with this Simpson but the wife's reluctant. The speed queen is the perfect IMO.
we have a commercial size Speed Queen washing machine at our place, a great simple machine that any household would struggle to kill, being they are designed for commercial applications. Thankfully we got ours a out 10 years ago at cost price from a wholesaler though my brother, because I doubt I'd have justified paying anywhere near retail for one for what we need in a washing machine.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 04:10:57 PM »
We had a Kleenmaid washer for a few years. Spent more on repairs than it cost new. Leaked oil on the clothes. Over-hyped junk IMO. No wonder Kleenmaid went belly-up....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 04:16:08 PM »
We had a Kleenmaid washer for a few years. Spent more on repairs than it cost new. Leaked oil on the clothes. Over-hyped junk IMO. No wonder Kleenmaid went belly-up....

Yeah different senario Geoff. Before kleenmaid were kleenmaid here and sold everything from kitchen sinks up . Kleenmaid here just sold  rebadged speed queen washers and dryers. And as above they are a commercial machine with the coin mech removed.

Jim

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 04:21:22 PM »
Sorry, I don't understand your point Jim.

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 05:33:58 PM »
Sorry, I don't understand your point Jim.

:cheers:

The kleenmaid we are talking about above weren't made by kleenmaid but a company called speed queen. They were top loaders and just had a kleenmaid badge. Later on in Australia kleenmaid  badged front loaders and everything under the sun.

Was yours one of the speed queen type?

Made in America. No fancy electronics or fancy mechs old fashioned style machine.

http://www.speedqueen.com.au/products/top-load-washer/awna62/

Jim

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 05:35:03 PM »
Was yours one of the speed queen type?

Yes.
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 05:39:17 PM »
Yes.

Wow ! As above they are a comercial machine. Never heard anybody else have issues with them?

Jim

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 05:43:01 PM »
Wow ! As above they are a comercial machine. Never heard anybody else have issues with them?

We've had a front load Electrolux for the past 9 years. A much better machine all around in our experience.
The Kleenmaid was a very expensive dud. Maybe we were just unlucky...
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 08:54:17 PM »
Had a Simpson Delta 10 for 27yrs.
Changed over or took apart and cleaned those solenoids many times. Replaced the plastic water pump 3 times and the rotary control dial once ( and took apart and fixed once ).

With no electronics you couldn't kill those old things...only got rid of it for a bigger Simpson.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 12:33:54 AM »
Yep you were unlucky GeoffA if you had a bad run with a true Speed Queen. The Simpson Minimatics, Deltas and biguns were good bang for buck with electromechanical timers and the Speed Queens stick with the tried and true formula. With top loaders if they ever oil the clothes it's the gearbox seal gone due to the gearbox bearings worn out and they used to rebuild them but unlikely now and in any case the SQs do 25 yrs plus. The secret for longevity with any washer is to get out the spirit level and level them perfectly from day one. Then you drill the space invaders to STOP adding clothes when dropping them in loosely dry reaches the rim and no jumping up and down on them to stuff more in. That's where the old Simpsons and now the Speed Queen's fast washing cycle helps curb their ungodly instincts but it does require regular reinforcing or they'll quickly lapse into their evil machinery destroying ways again.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.