Author Topic: Facebook...  (Read 26806 times)

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Facebook...
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2010, 12:44:58 PM »
Facebook is designed to remove human interaction , my daughter has over 100 friends on facebook and how many have i actually meat ? about 5 , it is evil & unhealthy physically and mentally , then you go to bbq and parties and all people talk about ( the people that occasionally remove their bum from the chair in front of their computer ) is facebook . Also there are those twisted people that make up fake profiles by using some one else's photos and identities . Hop on a train and what is every one doing , yep looking on facebook on their mobiles . There is a thing called the outdoors , and the only time I am in doors in front of puter is during working hours .
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2010, 12:51:17 PM »
Maybe instead of finding new ways to have imaginary friends we should organise more Myswag do's and meet friends for reel. Think about it.. you get all the benefits of face book but your in the bush around a camp fire. You also get the benefit of body language and context so you take what people are saying the right way.
Just call me old fashioned
Darren
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 12:54:17 PM by darren »
Living the Dream.

Offline TOY80ST

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The Camper trailer Whisperer
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2010, 01:08:29 PM »
Maybe instead of finding new ways to have imaginary friends we should organise more Myswag do's and meet friends for reel. Think about it.. you get all the benefits of face book but your in the bush around a camp fire. You also get the benefit of body language and context so you take what people are saying the right way.
Just call me old fashioned
Darren

This is true and I am a believer in what you say. Your not old fasioned by any means.

The thing I like about facebook is. Facebook is a good way of staying in touch with people who are a long way away from you and the only reason I got into it anyway. I find that I am keeping in touch with people far more these days than I ever have. Mainly those I don't get the time to go and see or live too far away. I was chasing a mate up for a long time through people I knew and so on but the last anyone had ever heard from him was that he was in the US somewhere. His parents had moved on from where he grew up and no one knew what happened to them. I found him on Facebook and we have picked up where we left off. He suffered depression and was having a hard time of it and just did a runner. My parents also moved on so he could not find me either. We have also tracked down my wifes father who she has not seen in nearly 40 years. It has its good points but you can get consumed in it and a lot do.
I hvae tlruobe wtih selplnig and dxsyliea. NOW I'TS YUOR TRUN!

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2010, 01:25:18 PM »
Those who complain about Facebook/Twitter/myspace etc don't really understand the technology.  If anything they encourage interaction, not discourage it.

Like TOY80ST, I use Facebook to catch up with people who are difficult to keep in touch with.  Some of the people on there I haven't spoken to in decades.  It is a brilliant bit of technology, and should be embraced, not shunned.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2010, 02:18:09 PM »
Those who complain about Facebook/Twitter/myspace etc don't really understand the technology.  If anything they encourage interaction, not discourage it.

Like TOY80ST, I use Facebook to catch up with people who are difficult to keep in touch with.  Some of the people on there I haven't spoken to in decades.  It is a brilliant bit of technology, and should be embraced, not shunned.

I was saying I couldn't see what people saw in facebook.....but obviously some have found good things with it ( and good luck to them )

My daughter uses it to "talk" to mostly friends, but also to people she doesn't know from a bar of soap !!

But, the young ones especially, tell everybody EVERYTHING about their whole life, which I think is a bit over the top.....

I notice a fair few young ones these days seem to be lacking social skills, obviously not being helped by computer games and things like facebook.....

Have you noticed how quick young kids take to making friends when out camping.......this is the interaction a lot of them need.....not a computer screen !!!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline dorey76

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2010, 02:32:45 PM »
I find it good simply because of my job I have mates all over the country and the world plus my brother lives in Canada so it's very easy to keep in touch and share photos of what we have all been up to. But some people do get carried away with it.
GU Patrol 4.2td with enough fruit to keep me happy for a while, Trackabout Safari, an old HSV as my on-road toy when the weather is fine and a 4.75m SeaJay for the barra.

Offline davo69 and the Nurse

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • '07 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2010, 03:24:30 PM »
I like Facebook! It allows me to keep in touch with family and friends who are spread across Australia, and they can see what I am up to, or holiday snaps, with me having to repeat the same story time and time again down the phone!

I have met some great new friends on Facebook! I was chatting to Symon the electrical guru for hours the other night on line, and the other week Deb and I was gasbagging on the phone, about upcoming trips etc, while Brett was picking up the new V8 ute... so I wouldn't say, Facebook isn't allowing people to make new friends. It is probably making it alittle easier to cut through the ice, so when you meet up in person, you can pickup where you left off... like old buddies!

So please don't hold my Facebook love (addiction) against me!

the Nurse
get DIRTY

Offline pajnmaj

• "We grow old if we don't go camping"
  • Tent User
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2010, 03:39:07 PM »

So please don't hold my Facebook love (addiction) against me!

the Nurse

I don't!
 I enjoy Facebook...being at home with 3 little ones makes it hard to get out with my girlfriends. I have family in Aust, USA and England and love showing them my photos and letting them know what they are up to.
Another reason to start Facebook was that my kids will be on one day and I needed to know what it was all about (They will have a friend limit though!)
My 77 year old Nana has just got on as well and she loves it. She can keep up with all her grandkids and great grandies. Gives her something to do as she loves scrabble!
It is a very useful tool on the Internet...
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Off to do more camping we go.

Offline Karen

• 'Myswag Trip Queen'
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2010, 05:35:51 PM »
Facebook allowed me to locate and contact my half sister after 35 years.  Yes, scary thought, there is someone else out there slightly like me.  >:D

Karen

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2010, 05:56:54 PM »
I just don't get facebook. If I want to talk to someone I call them. Or if I know they are busy at work or similar, I'll email them.

I am not hip shizzit yo dawg.  8)

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2010, 11:59:12 AM »
Has any one stop and thought by joining the myswag group through facebook makes it easier for the thieves out there to track down the location of where to place their next purchase ?

Offline Ben...

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Breath In - Breath Out.
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2010, 12:05:51 PM »
Has any one stop and thought by joining the myswag group through facebook makes it easier for the thieves out there to track down the location of where to place their next purchase ?

Do you wear a tin foil hat outside? me leaving the house a theives could steal my stuff... not all of us live in fear you know. appears some still do.
Mazda BT50 GT
Lifestyle 360

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2010, 12:13:15 PM »
I prefer an armadillo hat... ;D
Darren
Living the Dream.

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2010, 12:22:19 PM »
Do you wear a tin foil hat outside? me leaving the house a thieves could steal my stuff... not all of us live in fear you know. appears some still do.
Do you leave the keys in the ignition of the car whilst the car is un attended ? It is not called fear it is called common sense . I know of some one that posted on their wall on facebook that they were going over seas for x amount of time and whilst gone their house got broken into , was it that posting that hindered some one to take and or brake what was not theirs , who knows ? But why make it easier ?

Offline Shemdaph

• GONE TROPPO
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2010, 12:37:11 PM »
in my 2 work places (I have 2 jobs), both has banned Facebook. You should heard the uproar when it was banned. But 1 company did some statistics and found productivity increased after it was banned. Not sure the numbers or how they worked that out.

In any social networking there are pro & cons. As long as we are aware of the risks and then its up to the individual to make the decision to jump in or not.

If there are somethings you dont want to be made public then dont publish it. My friend lost his marriage and his life through that. Now its not the fault of Facebook, its the fault of the person using it and abusing it.
Daniel
06 Patrol ST 3.0 Auto
Cub Supamatic Camper &
AORC Odyssey ZR

Offline Pauly

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Whats This?
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2010, 01:33:26 PM »
Do you leave the keys in the ignition of the car whilst the car is un attended ?

Yes :-[, have done several times inmy driveway, you know listening to the radio on a sunday tinkering in the shed/driveway having a few ales, when the sun has gone down and maybe a few more ales than one remembers, shut the garage door, shut the car door and forget the keys until you go looking for them in the morning ??? :-[

Facebook is a funny thing and lots dont understand how it really works. If you set it up right then you choose who you allow in your friends list and you choose who sees your information. Some people allow all to see others put their friends into lists so you can let 1/2 see your private stuff and others see everything.

Does it consume people, some it can be deadly but so can forums. At a mates for a bbq a group of 4 families watching the footy and having a bbq, end of the footy my mate left us all sitting there so he could go stir up his facebook friends and no amount of coaxing was going to move him so I told him he was a rude p***k and left. My other mates did the same about half hour later.

Cheers Pauly

New ride 2005 Landcruiser Sahara, Mickey T,s, dual batts Arb Sahara Bar, HID lights :)

Self made camper

Offline Signature035

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The older I get...... the better I was
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2010, 01:44:31 PM »

Fishfinder has a vaild point here.......   I can not locate it at the Moment, but there is a site out there called 'PLEASE ROB ME' which apparently trawls through Facebook and Twitter and posts when people are logging in from a remote location (not their home IP).  Scared me when I first saw it.  Certianly food for thought...........
Rob
2012 Prado D4D Altitude &
04 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2010, 06:01:44 PM »
Hmmm, I've had friends say that they can't find me on FaceBook, the reason, I don't use my real name.
Also Google can be a great tool, and it can be a tool that others use for evil.
I have my own web site, Google contacted me asking if I wanted to pay for them to point searches in my direction.
I refused. I found that if I Google my site name a few times, by default would point to my site.
Hmmm, sometimes you just have to be smarter than the average bear LOL
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

camellafb

« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2011, 01:57:19 PM »
Well some of us use facebook so I decided to make a MySwag.org group. So if your a facebook user come a say hello.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=107946962576296

Good job Brett, that was awesome. I’m on facebook too and I’ve joined the group on facebook. I guess from the beginning you make that group until now you have many members of that group.