Author Topic: Police checking for Mods, Sth East QLD  (Read 51057 times)

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Police checking for Mods, Sth East QLD
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2018, 11:06:18 AM »
You’re right doc, you are at the mercy of the policeman on the day. Has been that way for ever but unless someone comes up with a quicker more efficient and cost effective way of getting unroadworthy cars off the road we just have to put up with it.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2018, 11:23:25 AM »
That's my point!! If the coppers missus ran off with a bloke in a Jeep, is that copper going to persecute every jeep on the road???

If the copper picks on me because I"m on holidays and he isn't, my holiday is ruined because I have to PROVE my innocence by going to pay to have the privilege of the DOT saying yay or nay (when I know full well I comply with all regulations) and removing the sticker.
If it is an inspector, no issue.......if it's mr plod on a bad day..........or a slow news day..........

So is your vehicle legal or not ?
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2018, 11:24:16 AM »
ANNUAL INSPECTIONS in QLD    :angel:
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2018, 11:33:38 AM »
Do you know what the standard ride height is of a Lada or how about a Patrol GQ or 60 series cruiser???? Doubt you have that info at hand or squirreled away in your memory, yet I very much doubt they have that info or info on ALL vehicles, and are measuring these vehicles correctly. A tape measure held to the roof to ground is NOT accurate in any shape or form!

Have no issues with proper transport inspectors doing the inspecting, I have no issues with them removing the unsafe vehicles off the road however, I feel that the average copper has absolutely no idea about 4WDs (and properly modded cars for that matter) yet are deemed "qualified" to infringe or remove a vehicle from the road based on that individuals personal view!

Really easy, nearly all the information is on a system like this:
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/rvd-pre1999/

There's this thing called the "Internet" and there's lots of information on there, and some of it is reputable, some of it is not. Generally if the address contains .gov.au in it, then that's the laws that will apply in Australia...  :P

1985 Land Cruiser FJ62 series:
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/rvd-pre1999/data/pdf/11784.pdf

Wheel centre to wheel arch: Front 500, Rear 460mm#
Wheel sizes: 5.5x16 and 7x15, with 7.50R16 and (something I can't read, but suspect would 31x10.5R15)

Different for the Sahara:
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/rvd-pre1999/data/pdf/11790.pdf
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:36:36 AM by Paddler Ed »

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2018, 11:34:20 AM »
So is your vehicle legal or not ?

My vehicle is legal. 2.5" lift (as it is 3.5T it is 2" when loaded) and I run 33" tyres. I have a blue plate GVM upgrade, Blue plate seating capacity reduction and blue plate body modification all compliant in the state my vehicle is registered in. I also comply with all light placement regulations including the top of my bullbar, which is covered in the ADR for driver's vision.

I have absolutely no issues if my vehicle is inspected. If i'm pulled over roadside and I'm measured by a numpty with a grudge and a tape measure and told I'm illegal where as I then have to take time off work to PROVE my vehicle complies and is legal all because some cretin is not qualified to do so! That is the issue!!
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2018, 11:42:24 AM »

There's this thing called the "Internet" and there's lots of information on there, and some of it is reputable, some of it is not. Generally if the address contains .gov.au in it, then that's the laws that will apply in Australia...  :P

1985 Land Cruiser FJ62 series:
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/rvd-pre1999/data/pdf/11784.pdf

Wheel centre to wheel arch: Front 500, Rear 460mm#
Wheel sizes: 5.5x16 and 7x15, with 7.50R16 and (something I can't read, but suspect would 31x10.5R15)

Different for the Sahara:
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/rvd-pre1999/data/pdf/11790.pdf

Interesting a brief look.....
ST variant and above y61 patrol........no listing........
Y61 patrol beyond series 1 no listing...........
Y62 Patrol no listing.........

Yep, reputable  ;D ;D
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....
The following users thanked this post: Luke_D

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2018, 12:05:37 PM »
Interesting a brief look.....
ST variant and above y61 patrol........no listing........
Y61 patrol beyond series 1 no listing...........
Y62 Patrol no listing.........

Yep, reputable  ;D ;D

Did you look at Pre or Post 1999?

Post 1999 is broken...

Just did a quick search and found something even more painful to use, http://rvcs.infrastructure.gov.au/

Searching using:
Marketing Model = Patrol
Status = ALL

There's your Y62 Patrol:
http://rvcs.infrastructure.gov.au/perl/44896_1003373_RVD_20Nov2012123203.cmd

Here's the Y60 Patrol:
http://rvcs.infrastructure.gov.au/pls/wwws/pubrvcs.view_app_details?sCertID=7484&sMakeModel=NISSAN+Y60+WAGON

And the Y61:
http://rvcs.infrastructure.gov.au/pls/wwws/pubrvcs.view_app_details?sCertID=12482&sMakeModel=NISSAN+Y61+WAGON

Select the RVD for each one, and you'll be OK.

Now, those are the federally approved specifications and took me about 5 minutes to find on my computer (not phone)

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2018, 12:11:39 PM »
I thought suspension affected ride height...........maybe I'm wrong there........just like Mr Plod.......
They do, hence check the ride height and you can tell how much a car has been raised/lowered.

Also, what are the existing rules, are they checking to VSB14, ADR or to their own figures........
I haven't looked in depth but looks like VSB14, it seems to cover both ADR as well as modifications.

Do you know what the standard ride height is of a Lada or how about a Patrol GQ or 60 series cruiser???? Doubt you have that info at hand or squirreled away in your memory, yet I very much doubt they have that info or info on ALL vehicles, and are measuring these vehicles correctly. A tape measure held to the roof to ground is NOT accurate in any shape or form!
The lift on my Prado when it was done, they measured to the top of the guard before and after to check the actual lift, it wouldn't be too hard for them to have a similar measurement for most cars and just compare to that.

Have no issues with proper transport inspectors doing the inspecting, I have no issues with them removing the unsafe vehicles off the road however, I feel that the average copper has absolutely no idea about 4WDs (and properly modded cars for that matter) yet are deemed "qualified" to infringe or remove a vehicle from the road based on that individuals personal view!

These aren't average coppers, they have had additional training to be able to do it, and really it would only take a few days to get your average copper up to speed to know what is what. There is nothing personal view about it, I have no idea where you have got that concept from, if it doesn't meet the standards, does it have a mod plate to say that it has been approved, yes then you are ok, no then you get fined, there is nothing subjective about it.

That's my point!! If the coppers missus ran off with a bloke in a Jeep, is that copper going to persecute every jeep on the road???

If the copper picks on me because I"m on holidays and he isn't, my holiday is ruined because I have to PROVE my innocence by going to pay to have the privilege of the DOT saying yay or nay (when I know full well I comply with all regulations) and removing the sticker.
If it is an inspector, no issue.......if it's mr plod on a bad day..........or a slow news day..........

If said  :police: wanted to fine people, there would be better ways to get people that issuing incorrect defect notice's which can then all point back to him being incompetent, he would be better trumpeting up things like speeding or negligent driving that would be a lot harder for the driver to prove his innocence, and therefore the :police: incompetence, but this is all to do with an abuse of power which is a totally seprate issue alltogether.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2018, 12:12:34 PM »
My vehicle is legal. 2.5" lift (as it is 3.5T it is 2" when loaded) and I run 33" tyres. I have a blue plate GVM upgrade, Blue plate seating capacity reduction and blue plate body modification all compliant in the state my vehicle is registered in. I also comply with all light placement regulations including the top of my bullbar, which is covered in the ADR for driver's vision.

I have absolutely no issues if my vehicle is inspected. If i'm pulled over roadside and I'm measured by a numpty with a grudge and a tape measure and told I'm illegal where as I then have to take time off work to PROVE my vehicle complies and is legal all because some cretin is not qualified to do so! That is the issue!!

Buddy
A. you're telling me you are legal
B. lets be realistic what do you think is actually going to happen at a roadside stop, i will tell you for a professionally looking modified vehicle. They are going to look at your car and go 'that is a little different" you are then going to go "thanks here are the blue plates" and then they are going to go "see you later have a nice day" if you can show me a photo of one cop with a tape measure out or even bending over to read the size of a tyre from the side wall i will personally ring you to apologise
C. They are going to do this exercise maybe once a month so your chances of being pulled over are remote at best

Honestly who gives a crap if they are trained or not. If they get some idiot with a GQ patrol lifted 4 inches, running 35's that are sticking 4 inches out from the guards and can barley stop to get the inspection done as the brakes lines were never lengthened, and when they ask for some paperwork he will show an IOU from his mate Bob who did the lift with some spring spaces and a couple of body blocks that look like they were made from VB cans well guess what...............................I say the police are doing a fantastic job and you have absolutely nothing to worry about
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2018, 12:14:46 PM »

Interested to know how they measure the overall height in those documents.

For one of my vehicles their numbers don't match up at all.
The overall height is physically impossible to achieve with the center of tyre to wheel arch dimensions they have listed.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2018, 12:15:48 PM »

I dont understand why your getting so concerned about it.  I have found that when dealing with cops, I treat them how I want to be treated.  Never had an issue. Commonsense and civility go a long way. Not all cops are qualified psychologists or human behaviour experts but every copper spends a great deal of time attending domestic disputes.   Maybe yearly inspections will sort out the chaff from the wheat and no one can whinge about getting pinged for an illegal vehicle.  I know I wouldnt be impressed if some tool in an illegally modified vehicle hurt/killed one of my family members. A lot of the wanky looking modified 4wd,s dont need the extra height or tyre width for cruising around Sydney....
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2018, 01:00:05 PM »
Interesting https://www.4wdqld.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/4WD-QLD-Press-Release-2018-4WDs-Targeted-in-State-Wide-Modification-Crackdown.pdf

(Photochopped from above bulletin)

I think that this is a fair deal for all
...Doesnt mean that it will happen though.

We therefore recommend:
?
Any vehicle owner who has been issued any defect or infringement notice where your
vehicle has a maximum combination lift of 25mm tyres, and 50mm suspension fitted
with ESC, to write to the “Officer In Charge” of the police station where the notice was
issued, and ask for the infringement to be reviewed given TMR website gave guidance
this was acceptable and has been updated without informing the general public (see
reference above).
?
Any vehicle owner who has been issued any defect or infringement notice where your
vehicle has a suspension lift up to 75mm, to write to the “Officer In Charge” of the
police station where the notice was issued, and ask for the infringement to be reviewed
given TMR is about to release new LS9/LS10 modification standards, allowing this lift.
While you may have been issued a ticket where LS9/LS10 is currently 50mm maximum
at the time, the fact it is due to change should have been considered / implemented
before commencing “Operation Lift”; it would be unfair to release this after a defect.

?
Any vehicle owner who believes they were incorrectly issued an infringement notice for
other reasons, i.e. change to other TMR website, we recommend contacting TMR and
re-validating the infringement is issued correctly.
?
For all vehicle owners who knowingly drove a vehicle with modifications over the limit,
pay your fine.

KingBilly

« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2018, 01:13:18 PM »

Careful KB , forum members may think that you wear a blue uniform .

I have a suspension lift , body lift and run on 33's . Drives better and handles better than standard .

Think you are getting me confused with somebody else mate.  I hate blue shirts.

Not sure a body lift improves ride or handling.
KB

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2018, 01:45:14 PM »
Quote from: Bigfish
  I have found that when dealing with cops, I treat them how I want to be treated.
try that when you ride a bike.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2018, 02:17:47 PM »
Interesting https://www.4wdqld.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/4WD-QLD-Press-Release-2018-4WDs-Targeted-in-State-Wide-Modification-Crackdown.pdf

We all know the organisation is run by jokers these days, but I especially like this one....

"We need a national scheme where a consumer can purchase a new vehicle in Perth, ship it to
Adelaide for engine modifications, send on to Melbourne for motor work, pop it over to Sydney
for suspension and wheels, then walk into a Queensland TMR office with all the certifications
and get the vehicle registered; this is the 21st century."
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I can't say that those few pages justify the extortionate fees 4wdQLD want to charge clubs these days, but at least it looks like they've got off their butts and done something for their long suffering members on this one.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2018, 02:18:15 PM »
try that when you ride a bike.

Mr Bird.  I ride a Harley Fatboy and have had a bike licence for 40+ years.  I,ve been pulled over ( especially during the bullShit that went on here a while ago), even on my not too quiet fatty and have not had an issue. Plenty have, thats for sure.  As I said I treat em as they treat me. 

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2018, 02:26:09 PM »
Mr Bird.  I ride a Harley Fatboy and have had a bike licence for 40+ years.  I,ve been pulled over ( especially during the bullShit that went on here a while ago), even on my not too quiet fatty and have not had an issue. Plenty have, thats for sure.  As I said I treat em as they treat me.

Tongue in cheeks here BF......

Modified wank factor exhaust...........no different to modified 4WD's....................  ;D ;D :angel: :police:

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2018, 04:02:21 PM »
Tongue in cheeks here BF......

Modified wank factor exhaust...........no different to modified 4WD's....................  ;D ;D :angel: :police:

Totally agree.  However my mods on my bike are legal and were done for comfort and reliability. The exhaust is anything but wank factor as I am not a great fan of drawing attention to ones self..  Couldn't put pannier bags on with original exhaust.  Got a couple of dolts around me with the loud exhaust and the "must do 60kph in 2 seconds and let people know I,m here"....real wankers. However as I said, I have been pulled over and noise hasn't been an issue. It is a bit louder than stock.  I used to have a dislike of cops when I was younger. However with age comes wisdom.  They do a great job generally and all the money in the world would not see me doing it.  Helping pull victims out of smashed cars, being spat on by drug fueled morons, shot at whilst at a domestic violence call.    When I have been stopped I usually spend a while yacking to them .  What Shits me is the hypocrites that put Shit on the cops but when life treats them a foul blow they turn straight to the cops for help!
The illegal mods saga is akin to the overweight caravan issues.  Heaps know they are overweight but just ignore it.  So be it...but dont sook if you are caught and be prepared for the consequences if you hurt or kill someone as a result of your mods or excessive weight...Thats all I,m saying.
The following users thanked this post: JusyApples

Offline Isuzumu

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Isuzu MU
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2018, 05:22:04 PM »
What I think they TMR and Police are looking for is 4WDs that have ESC and have lift kits, body kits and bigger tyres.
Cause you can not fit a lift kit to a vehicle that has ESC. It's stated on the TMR web site under FAQs. But you are allowed to increase tyre size by 50mm. Our old D.Max would have not made it passed the inspection station lol.
Oh I do not think the Police would be writing out the infringement notice as they have TMR inspectors with them.
Cheers Bruce
2012 Isuzu D.Max
1994 Isuzu Mu
2011 Jayco 17.55 Outback with Cruisemaster Independent Air Suspension
Off road trailer full of camping gear.

HF Radio Club  Sel Call 1955

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2018, 05:42:29 PM »
That made SFA sense to me....  :D
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2018, 06:10:47 PM »
With all the hysteria I will leave this here
Queensland Police Services have completed a special training event “aimed at identifying four-wheel drives which have been illegally modified, comprising (sic) the stability of the vehicle and subsequent safety of all road-users.”

The training, which finished on Wednesday last week, comprised a day of theoretical training followed by two days centered on practical training.

“Approximately 35 QPS officers from across the South East Region will work in conjunction with 10 Transport and Main Roads inspectors to stage static and mobile interception sites across the Gold Coast District.”

https://mr4x4.com.au/police-now-targeting-modified-4x4/

KingBilly

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2018, 06:19:24 PM »
With all the hysteria I will leave this here
Queensland Police Services have completed a special training event “aimed at identifying four-wheel drives which have been illegally modified, comprising (sic) the stability of the vehicle and subsequent safety of all road-users.”

The training, which finished on Wednesday last week, comprised a day of theoretical training followed by two days centered on practical training.

“Approximately 35 QPS officers from across the South East Region will work in conjunction with 10 Transport and Main Roads inspectors to stage static and mobile interception sites across the Gold Coast District.”

https://mr4x4.com.au/police-now-targeting-modified-4x4/

Seriously, why are you letting facts get in the way of a good cop bashing conspiracy theory arguement?

KB

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2018, 06:34:37 PM »
They are looking as there are many are over the magic 50mm, but 90% never bothered to get the mod plate to say its good. They don't get the mod plate because its done on the cheap and engineers cost $$. Because they have done it on the cheap they also go for wheel spacers and extended shackles to give them the look they want, but its also a fair bet that they aren't spending the $$ on maintenance that they probably should.

What I think they TMR and Police are looking for is 4WDs that have ESC and have lift kits, body kits and bigger tyres.
Cause you can not fit a lift kit to a vehicle that has ESC. It's stated on the TMR web site under FAQs. But you are allowed to increase tyre size by 50mm.

And you can go up to 50mm with tyres/body blocks/suspension, its not one or the other. Anymore and you have to start employing an engineer to run the numbers and probably do some track testing.
2.6 MODIFICATIONS TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ESC 

To remain within the scope of VSB14, a vehicle fitted with ESC and modified with a suspension lift up to 50mm beyond the original manufacturer’s standard height can be carried out under the basic modification without certification guidelines as listed in Section 4.

Vehicle modifications with a suspension lift above 50mm or due to a combination of any other lift (tyres, or body blocks) are required to meet this guideline and Code LS7 or Code LS8 where applicable.

https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/-/media/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Vehicle-modifications/Light-vehicle-modifications/NCOP/20sectionlssuspensionsteering.pdf?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 06:52:42 PM by Hoyks »

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2018, 06:53:08 PM »
This is a press release from 4WD QLD released today regarding these issues. Gives some background into what's happened and what they (4WD QLD)are trying to address on your behalf.

4WD QLD Press Release
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline
The following users thanked this post: Cruiser 105Tvan