Author Topic: Hiking Sticks....Anyone Use Them  (Read 8660 times)

Offline holsty

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: Hiking Sticks....Anyone Use Them
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2017, 03:59:09 PM »
I have used these for years :http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/trekking-poles/distance-carbon-z-pole-BD112177_cfg.html#start=7

I find they help a lot and give your arms something to do on longer days (>35km). They were a godsend on the cape-to-cape up and down sandy sections and long sections of beach. As mentioned, they are very handy for setting up a tarp or other ultralight weight shelter.

holsty.
2008 Prado 120 D4D
2011 Camprite TL8s

Offline Gandalf the White

• Wise Wandering Wizard
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Feelin great with a 2.8
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2017, 08:40:20 PM »
Just like this one, G ???

almost, that’s like my old one
How to fall asleep in a chair
1 - sit in a chair
2 - be old

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 05:51:10 PM »
We have them, with lots of dollars invested in cameras and lenses on my back and us both having dodgy knees they are just added insurance to help prevent falls etc. went to the Grampians last year, forgot to pack them and guess what, arse over tit and one severely sprained ankle. Put a real dampener on the rest of the trip.
Clumsy bastard. ;D ;D
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2018, 07:58:49 AM »
Yes as a guy with Cerebral Palsy i use a single one whenever i hike.
It usually stays in the pack for flat ground and uphill but i use it a lot for steep down hill tracks, more as a support aid than anything else. The only thing i found is that for the method i use it for it will sometimes support the bulk of my body weight for a brief period of time as i steady myself if i fell i am over balanced so i went through 2 or 3 as some of the cheaper ones collapsed at the telescopic joint when pushed to that level
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2018, 01:21:40 PM »
Yes as a guy with Cerebral Palsy i use a single one whenever i hike.
It usually stays in the pack for flat ground and uphill but i use it a lot for steep down hill tracks, more as a support aid than anything else. The only thing i found is that for the method i use it for it will sometimes support the bulk of my body weight for a brief period of time as i steady myself if i fell i am over balanced so i went through 2 or 3 as some of the cheaper ones collapsed at the telescopic joint when pushed to that level
We bought them more for my wife who is sometimes unsteady on her feet due to Parkinsons, but it was clumsy old me who went base over apex! Ours weren't all that dear but seem to be holding up ok for now.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Orinoco

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2018, 12:49:56 AM »
Just looking at getting a couple of hiking sticks to help the old bones,  :-* but the prices can be a bit frightening  ::) any where from $80-00 to $150 each.
Any recommendations please ?
I picked up a pair of trekking poles from Macpac (A3's I think) for under $100.

The have twist mechanism to change the pole length. Some people like them others don't.

I don't have a ACL in my knee anymore and they have saved my bacon more than a few times when hiking with a 16kg pack. 

I find they help take pressure of the legs when walking, as well as adding a bit of confidence over rough ground.

I think the best thing to do is to go and try things out and see what is comfortable (if possible).

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

Offline biodave

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2018, 07:44:05 PM »
I always found my stick most helpful when heading down slippery slopes. Also helps increase my speed - which my wife objects to!!.

Offline Never enough time

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2018, 07:30:28 PM »
I used to think they were useless and at times downright dangerous to people around them.
But after seing a couple of people who worked for Outward Bound using them and then trying them, the only time I don't use them is if I forget to pack them!
Some peple say you don't need them on flat terrain and they are a PIA, well stow them on you pack if that's the case.
I do anything from off track steep climbs out of gorges with 500m ascents (or decents) over 2-3km carrying a 20kg pack to 30km walks on realtively flat terrain.
 I'm a  fit person in my late 50s with good knees (but dodgy ankles) who still jogs 4km twice or three times a week.
Price, start with some cheap Coleman type brand versions, you can pay $300 if you want the latest NASA weight saving materials. I've got a $70 pair of Black diamonds, I've tried the shock absorbing Leki's and found they didn't do much for me
Borrow some and see for yourself
Vehicles; Presently Prado 2021, previously three Pajeros
Camper; Complete Campsite Exodus 13 (2011 build), previously Kimberly Kamper and prior to that Soft Floor 16ft

Offline GanG

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • NEDSA
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2018, 08:07:58 PM »
Used them in New Guinea on kokoda track, and back pack hunting trips here, I like them.  Mine are Black Diamonds too from memory.
Light travels faster than sound............that's why some folks may appear bright until they speak