Author Topic: Queensland National Parks WTF  (Read 4389 times)

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
Queensland National Parks WTF
« on: October 29, 2017, 05:07:16 PM »
Myself , Jclures and The Caseys have just came home from a 8 days camping/fishing trip up in the Lakefield National Park ( Rinyirru ) as it is now called .

I booked the camp sites several months ago , no problem there , But whilst we were there they the Queensland National Parks decided to do a aerial feral pig eradication program.

No notice was given to us , nor did we see a ranger for the whole time there , but what we did see and hear was a chopper flying around shooting pigs within 500 metres from where we were camped .

I was not impressed as the day before a few of us were walking around the area where they were shooting .

After many many rounds had been fired from the chopper , they had drifted near our camp , I think the chopper pilot at this point Shit himself , they stopped shooting , circled the camp and pissed off real quick .

Even after this event there was no park ranger to be seen , no explanation nor an apology.
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Queensland National Parks WTF
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 05:13:06 PM »
Myself , Jclures and The Caseys have just came home from a 8 days camping/fishing trip up in the Lakefield National Park ( Rinyirru ) as it is now called .

I booked the camp sites several months ago , no problem there , But whilst we were there they the Queensland National Parks decided to do a aerial feral pig eradication program.

No notice was given to us , nor did we see a ranger for the whole time there , but what we did see and hear was a chopper flying around shooting pigs within 500 metres from where we were camped .

I was not impressed as the day before a few of us were walking around the area where they were shooting .

After many many rounds had been fired from the chopper , they had drifted near our camp , I think the chopper pilot at this point Shit himself , they stopped shooting , circled the camp and pissed off real quick .

Even after this event there was no park ranger to be seen , no explanation nor an apology.
the media would love this one. DO IT!!!!!!!!!!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline grc

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 05:31:05 PM »
the media would love this one. DO IT!!!!!!!!!!
I am with bird you just cant go around shooting feral pig around camping grounds with notification

CHEERS GRC   :cheers:

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 05:57:00 PM »
Ranger  fires up the rig at Ranger Station  & pop in to the proposed kill zone to check out if there is anybody there . The pigs think that there will be more food left by campers so they move in a bit closer . Ranger pops in with your safety in mind telling you of said kill . Should you want to stay at the very least your presence is noted .
Narrrr Stuff lt  lets do the Apocalypse Now Chopper thing   , give Um a thrill .

Call the Press                      :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 06:38:55 PM »
Quote from: grc
I am with bird you just cant go around shooting feral pig around camping grounds with notification

I'm more pissed that Duggie is a decent bloke.. and think of the cover-up if someone in his group was killed.. we all know nobody would be held accountable, and probably put back onto Dug and them.. probably some rubbish story like working on their still cookin up some hooch..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: jacm

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 06:44:51 PM »
Should of done a Mick Dundee & got a dead one with a rifle & started shooting back

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 06:46:13 PM »
Should of done a Mick Dundee & got a dead one with a rifle & started shooting back
I was thinking a smoke signal fire! but I like your idea :D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 06:54:02 PM »
Why not call the appropriate ranger station and have a chat? They might be able to provide insight that others here can't.
The following users thanked this post: slave

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 09:55:50 PM »
I certainly wouldnt let this one go, Professional shooter or not, there are safety distances involved with any live firing and a multitude of other safety checks and balances that have to done before the first shots away ..
Didnt happen to film any of it did you ? would come in real handy if you get a He man super hero I'll  tell you type at the Rangers office ..
Courtesy call Ranger Dibble " No joy " then its to Head office senior Ranger Dribble   " No joy " then its Media feeding frenzy time ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 06:01:32 AM »
I don’t see a big problem with it...the other option would be close camping areas for extended times

It hard to judge distances but at 500 meters and a pro shooter shooting into the ground very low risk....even when they drifted closer

I reckon if you had of been walking around they could pick the difference between a human and a pig. 

They did the right thing, noticed campers and moved on. I’m sure they are aware of all the camp ground, road etc.

I was involved in a government feral animal cull west of Brisbane back in the mid nineties......which the media got hold off....yeah stopped culling for a few days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 06:17:35 AM »
Can see you concern but remember how understaffed they are. I think they would know what they are doing and  please don't make waves as they will stop the cull which is really needed. We spoke to one of the staff last year up there and they all are having a hard time.  Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 06:53:15 AM »
Hmmmmmm..................
When you book, your details are with the ranger (or QLD parks)
When you book, your dates are with the ranger (or QLD parks)

You should have at least, received a courtesy call to advise you of the cull. (I'd be asking to join 'em  >:D )

As others have said, I'd be calling Parks -    https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/contactus/

General enquiries
•Make an Enquiry, give us a Compliment or make a Complaint. Alternatively you can email info@npsr.qld.gov.au or phone 13 74 68 (13 QGOV).

And if it were me, (especially if we had kids there) would be an almighty arseripping..................
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
Queensland National Parks WTF
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 07:22:57 AM »
Hmmmmmm..................
When you book, your details are with the ranger (or QLD parks)
When you book, your dates are with the ranger (or QLD parks)

You should have at least, received a courtesy call to advise you of the cull. (I'd be asking to join 'em  >:D )

As others have said, I'd be calling Parks -    https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/contactus/

And if it were me, (especially if we had kids there) would be an almighty arseripping..................

I guess at the time of booking one should read park alerts (not that I do)

It appears there is an Ariel shooting alert....

https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/park-alerts/15027.html

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 07:24:26 AM »
Quote from: krisandkev
Can see you concern but remember how understaffed they are. I think they would know what they are doing and  please don't make waves as they will stop the cull which is really needed. We spoke to one of the staff last year up there and they all are having a hard time.  Kevin
Don't make waves?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 07:27:54 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 07:34:00 AM »
Definetly an oversight of parks QLD. But we are all better off with feral pigs eradicated and as above 500ms is more than safe enough. At my school we had a cadet range adjacent to the science block (the brick wall was one side of the range and road the other separated by a timer fence) and they shot bren guns lol
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 07:46:25 AM »

I'd class that as a 6-monthly general advice that it will be happening some time, rather than a specific warning.

The other thing about it is that Duggie said there was a "lot" of shooting, which would suggest the chopper found a sizable mob of pigs & probably (hopefully!) cleaned a number of them up. At only 500m from the campsite, & in an area where they had been walking, that's going to smell delightful for the next week or 2 :-X
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 10:08:05 AM »
Well I have rang Queensland National Parks , standard answer , " Don't know when but we will get back to you "

I am all for  a aerial feral pig eradication program.

9 days camping , 20 mins away from the rangers house , no visit . In my book very poor service . We have not seen a ranger visit our camp for three years

If the rangers were doing their job and visiting the camp sites in their area , then maybe they could catch and book all of the non paying visitors - this could then fund the National parks and allow them to put on extra staff .

I don't read the Nat park home page , I go on line and book where I want to camp . I have a link set up that takes me direct to the booking page so I dont see the other crap .

How hard would it be to have a highlighted note in the area affected on the booking site ?

I won't go to the media with this but I am still fairly p!$$ed off with the service or the lack of service from the Queensland National Parks

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 10:20:48 AM »
I certainly wouldnt let this one go, Professional shooter or not, there are safety distances involved with any live firing and a multitude of other safety checks and balances that have to done before the first shots away ..
Didnt happen to film any of it did you ? would come in real handy if you get a He man super hero I'll  tell you type at the Rangers office ..
Courtesy call Ranger Dibble " No joy " then its to Head office senior Ranger Dribble   " No joy " then its Media feeding frenzy time ..

No edz , I did not get any film - would loved to have had my drone with me - One would think that the chopper should have done a visual of the camping areas before they started blasting away.

Due to the dense foliage in this area we could not see them , but there is no way that they could have seen us , once the finger has squeezed the trigger the shooter has no more control of where the bullet lands .

Mass firing and very quick sighting at the target does not allow one to see what is in the direction of where the bullet is flying at a further distance back . Particularly when there is thick vegetation in the area .

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My website
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 10:35:20 AM »
No matter how accurate the shooter is, the other real risk to nearby campers is having frightened escaping pigs running through your campsite.  Getting hit by an angry panicking boar at full throttle would not be pleasant.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 11:57:24 AM »
Sean the pig man and the other older pros off the cape don't work for the department any more, he started his own company. They would be contract shooters. Definitely let the ranger in charge know about what happened and your feelings. Constructive criticism is what makes processes better.