Author Topic: Recommendations for quality side awning for Hilux  (Read 4555 times)

Offline KieranR

• Soft Floor Camper User
Recommendations for quality side awning for Hilux
« on: October 09, 2017, 06:24:50 PM »
Hi
we have an SR 5 dual cab Hilux and are about to get a new canopy next week.  But we also want to fit a side awning so I am looking for recommendations on some decent quality ones i can research before outlaying the money.  Previously i had an arb one 2012 ish but the aluminium backing separated from the awning bag after a short period of time.

Thanks

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Recommendations for quality side awning for Hilux
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 06:30:30 PM »
Budget?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline KieranR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 06:33:46 PM »
Budget?

A few hundred should cover us i think but happy to go a bit higher if warranted, we haven't put an exact figure on it, Im not interested in things like fox wing etc, just standard 2 x 2.5 will be sufficient for now.

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 07:29:47 PM »
Rhino rack sunseeker is a good bit of kit

Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 07:37:15 PM »
I,ve had the 4wd Supa centre one for 2 years and been used close to a hundred times.  Still works well. No quality issues at all.  I did put an extra 6 pop rivets to hold the aluminium mounting plate, just in case. Have heard of other "named" awnings that have broken off because of the lack of support. I,d recommend them and there are thousands out there. Havent seen any bad comments about them and better than the rip off prices you pay for so-called "named, quality" products.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!
The following users thanked this post: PWE

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 09:14:31 PM »
Agree with Bigfish.
But if money is not an issue then the Hannibal awnings are a class of there own, in my view.
No poles and easy to setup.
Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline dooguss

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Prado Power
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 05:29:32 AM »
I’ve got 2 Polaris innovations awnings. Local company in Brisbane, had mine since 2012 solid piece of gear. Wouldn’t waste my money on the cheap rubbish.
2006 Toyota Prado
2014 Stoney creek rear fold.

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 06:34:29 AM »
I had the 2.5 x 2.5 Ridge Ryder (SuperCheap Auto) on my Nav for over 4 years with no problems.
I’ve now put their new no name 2.0 x 2.5 on my Pajero.
From what I can tell after setting it up it is identical to my old Ridge Ryder in every way except their is no name on the bag.
Cost was $109.00
They have a 2.5 x 2.5 for $114.00
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 08:31:20 AM »
Quote from: PWE
But if money is not an issue then the Hannibal awnings are a class of there own, in my view.
his budget is a couplea hunge, not couple a grand :)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 05:20:22 PM »
Just got back from Fraser Island....nearly every car had an Awning fitted, however a lower % than I thought actually set up.

We have a 270 Awning that is self supporting, when we were watching the tailor fishing at Waddy point, it started to rain and people either hopped in the car or tried to huddle up against the car yet they all had Awning......20sec and our Awning was up and we kept dry. One guy came over and asked a few questions and indicated he would upgrade. My previous Awning was a SUPAPEG supa wing which required poles and pegs therefore we didn't put it up no where near as much as we do the new self supporting.

Cost is the big factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 08:10:05 AM »
I've got an Aldi awning (also sold by Powerful 4x4) and for the money is pretty good.  Used it a few times, and been happy with it.

The way I saw it was, buy a cheaper awning, because they're prone to getting damaged, so a cheaper one isn't as bitter a pill to swallow in the event it gets damaged and needs replacing.

And let's face it, it gets used less than the other accessories you install

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 11:12:30 AM »
I've got an Aldi awning (also sold by Powerful 4x4) and for the money is pretty good.  Used it a few times, and been happy with it.

The way I saw it was, buy a cheaper awning, because they're prone to getting damaged, so a cheaper one isn't as bitter a pill to swallow in the event it gets damaged and needs replacing.

And let's face it, it gets used less than the other accessories you install

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
we use our awning heaps, a lot more often then I use my spotlights and definitely more often then I ever used a winch...guess everyone is different hey. My awning is nearly 10 years old also and on it's second vehicle, a shame Gunyah aren't in business anymore or i'd be recommending one to the he OP.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 11:51:12 AM »
Just got back from Fraser Island....nearly every car had an Awning fitted, however a lower % than I thought actually set up.

We have a 270 Awning that is self supporting, when we were watching the tailor fishing at Waddy point, it started to rain and people either hopped in the car or tried to huddle up against the car yet they all had Awning......20sec and our Awning was up and we kept dry. One guy came over and asked a few questions and indicated he would upgrade. My previous Awning was a SUPAPEG supa wing which required poles and pegs therefore we didn't put it up no where near as much as we do the new self supporting.

Cost is the big factor.

This is the issue that has got me spinning my wheels in regards as to what to do, A standard side awning likely won't be big enough for the whole fam, if it takes forever to put up it probably won't be used as much, but the cost of most of the poleless ones makes it not a cheap exercise.  I have contemplated making one but am currently thinking about getting a ANTENERGY 2.5M SKYWING (basically a foxwing knock off) as with a discout code should be able to be had for about $270 posted, the hinge setup dosen't look spectacular but what limited reviews I can find from a few years back seem reasonable.

Offline jbc.fletcher

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 12:20:02 PM »
I've got one from the 4wd supacentre, used it heaps and no issues so far.  Very kind price too.  Holds up to wind pretty good as well.  Just need to tie it down. 

The 4wd supacentre cop a bit of flack on various forums, but if you sit on the beach and count brands as they drive past, 90% of people have one, so if they were bad quality...................

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 01:20:00 PM »
I,ve had the 4wd Supa centre one for 2 years and been used close to a hundred times. 

Havent seen any bad comments about them....

I was about to say "unless you read the posts on their Facebook page".

Last time I was there it was a hive of pissed of consumers in a feeding frenzy.

But I just checked their page (first time in about 10 months now) and it looks like their social media people are doing a better job of deleting and blocking angry customers now.

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=58855.msg1064705#msg1064705
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 01:32:12 PM »
Quote from: MuruCycles
and it looks like their social media people are doing a better job of deleting and blocking angry customers now.

:cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: wakychapmans

Offline KieranR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 05:51:05 PM »
we are going to go with the Rhino rack sunseeker, only question is the 2.0 or 2.5m ? its going on a hilux dual cab that has a rear canopy, we already have 2 rhino aero bars on the cab roof, the agent has suggested we go with the 2m due to concerns about overhang due to the roof bars being fairly close together on a dual cab. 

If i went the 2.5 am i being a knob and risking damaging it?

Thoughts?

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 06:03:44 PM »
I've got one from the 4wd supacentre, used it heaps and no issues so far.  Very kind price too.  Holds up to wind pretty good as well.  Just need to tie it down. 

The 4wd supacentre cop a bit of flack on various forums, but if you sit on the beach and count brands as they drive past, 90% of people have one, so if they were bad quality...................
are they the Kings awnings?.... because if they are i saw 2 fail in one night of rain last year when i was camping with mates. Both people had angle down one corner to let the water run off, but the material still sagged and pooled water and then bent poles on both awnings.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:11:07 PM by Rumpig »
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 08:31:10 PM »
we are going to go with the Rhino rack sunseeker, only question is the 2.0 or 2.5m ? its going on a hilux dual cab that has a rear canopy, we already have 2 rhino aero bars on the cab roof, the agent has suggested we go with the 2m due to concerns about overhang due to the roof bars being fairly close together on a dual cab. 

Thoughts?
Shouldn’t damage it.
The one on my dual cab Navara was 2.5 x 2.5 and it was mounted just on the front bars.
4 years it was there and never had a bit of damage from any overhang.
I liked he 2.5 long so I could reach in the side window of the canopy and still be under the awning, couldn’t do that with a 2.0 meter long awning...
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 08:54:02 PM »

Thoughts?

Good choice
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 06:55:29 AM »
Having a good look about at a show once at the cheap and expensive. I decided they will all most likely die in one of 2 ways, either:
Damaged when on vehicle whilst traveling somehow.
Destroyed when a breeze picks up and gets underneath to flip them over the top of the Tug, like my 2 so far in the count.

With that in mind, I went the cheapest option and got the kings 2.5 x 2.5, with the same size awning to fit on any of the sides at any angle.
As a family of 5, we fit under this with the extra section, can spread out with the Tonka fleet in action also.
So I figure, yep the quality ones are great, but they will be damaged with a slight breeze just as easy as the cheap rubbish. So keep the $ in your pocket if you can.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 09:01:35 AM »
I see some dual cabs with awnings unsupported for 3/4's of the length of the awning while travelling.. In my mind I cant see this being a good idea with all the bounce and flexing with the wind/road etc..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 05:55:53 PM »
The awning I purchased recommended no more than 500mm. extending unsupported at each end.
It spends a lot of time in the shed nowadays, but it doesn't take long to refit it if I need to.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.