Author Topic: How long does it take to set up a soft floor - basic setup  (Read 22849 times)

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: How long does it take to set up a soft floor - basic setup
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2014, 06:41:08 PM »
About 2 beers
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2014, 08:18:14 PM »
Just wondering if a rear fold soft floor would be a good compromise.  I asume it would be about the same time as a hard floor.  You could avoid the awning if weather permitted.

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2014, 08:27:20 PM »
Just wondering if a rear fold soft floor would be a good compromise.  I asume it would be about the same time as a hard floor.  You could avoid the awning if weather permitted.

I would suggest a rear fold soft floor would be more similar to the standard set up time of other soft floors.
You still have the floor to peg out, poles to set up etc etc.
The original question was a bit vague in my opinion. I have seen a well designed soft floor (trackabout I think) set up in about 10 min. (main tent) however I have seen others not as well designed take nearly 45 min to an hour. But most well designed are the same in set up. Tent size dependant obviously.

Each style of camper has its own pros and cons, A rear fold soft floors pros to me are you still get the same storage as a normal soft floor, however you get the rear fold layout, north/south bed  etc etc.

Cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2014, 08:43:17 PM »
Yep agreed, evo. It also depends on the site you are on and how pedantic you are with your set up. Some people are , yeah that'll do, others want every crease to be perfect with every stitch running the right way, but only when the wind is blowing this way.
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

scarps

« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2014, 08:45:32 PM »
Yep agreed, evo. It also depends on the site you are on and how pedantic you are with your set up. Some people are , yeah that'll do, others want every crease to be perfect with every stitch running the right way, but only when the wind is blowing this way.
I don't recall you camping with me, but it seems you know me:-)

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2014, 08:47:31 PM »
I don't recall you camping with me, but it seems you know me:-)

More than you will realise  ;D ;D ;D
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2014, 11:04:52 PM »
One thing I have noticed with a lot of imports with really big annexes is the number of poles, so many! Too many!
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline Ratbag

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2014, 02:39:17 PM »
First time setup took about an hour for two people - that included the awning (annexe, whatever).

Nailing it down to the concrete and brick paving was the hardest part ....  ;) .

Packing it up took me less than 15 minutes by myself, including folding the awning back over the tent, putting the poles back in the bags, etc.

Setting up should not take me longer than about 15 minutes now that all the poles are adjusted (on mine, the tent just folds away like an accordion - only one pole needs to be collapsed, all the others stay where they are set during the initial setup).

I expect that packing up will take about 10 minutes when I am more practised at it.
That doesn't count breakfast, another coffee, shower ...  ;D .

Offline neilsk

• Swag User
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2014, 02:49:59 PM »
I have a MDC Tbox v3, it takes me less than 10 minutes to put just the tent up. to include the awning its another 10 minutes.

My awning is always attached and when i pack up i fold it over the top of the tent. makes for quick set ups. I can set this up quicker if i dont bother with the horizontal poles for the awning. just have the uprights tight.
2012 D40 Navara St and a MDC Tbox V3

Offline Market Direct Campers

• Tent User
  • www.marketdirect.com.au PH: 1300 4x4 4x4
    • MDC Camper Trailers & Caravans
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2014, 01:01:08 AM »
I have a MDC Tbox v3, it takes me less than 10 minutes to put just the tent up. to include the awning its another 10 minutes.

My awning is always attached and when i pack up i fold it over the top of the tent. makes for quick set ups. I can set this up quicker if i dont bother with the horizontal poles for the awning. just have the uprights tight.

Hi Neilsk,

Do you have the MDC-05, 12ft Tent as shown below:

Small | Large

Happy Camping ;)
MDC Insider
[img width= height=]http://www.importersandwholesalers.com.au/forum/myswaglogo2.jpg[/img]

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2014, 03:33:44 AM »

You cant compare the rear fold soft floor to the hard floor, not the same thing.
My rear fold soft floor takes 10 mins to set up and that is the extended type. That is 10 mins from when I figure out the parking spot and unhook. The wife helps with the travel cover then sorts out the 3 x young kids and I set up on my own. The end of the 10 mins is the 2 x bunk beds set up inside to. Then ontop of that is my annex which can be 20 mins as I can't leave it attached, and still on my own when doing it, sometimes I get a pair of 5 year olds sorting the poles out which ads 30 mins  ;D

I recon my set up time is same as other aussi made side fold soft floors. On last trip I offered help to the family next to us who has import and they were at it for an hour when I went over, never seen so many poles before, and the floor space was less then mine when done.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline McTavish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2014, 10:03:00 PM »
A good little vid from OooowTube of a Vacation Camper being set up.   Keep in mind the poles, ropes and pegs are in and are all set at the right length so add some time for that of course but you get the picture.  Some handy tips for any camper being set up if you watch the procedure carefully - set at 10 times speed so some pauses may assist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMaK-nkGefU

Vacation Camper & McTavish surfboard - what more does a guy need??

Offline neilsk

• Swag User
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2014, 12:34:44 PM »
Hi Neilsk,

Do you have the MDC-05, 12ft Tent as shown below:

http://youtu.be/GdyNNRzu3c4?list=UUMjoehlkYGZ2VqW7vLfMujg

Happy Camping ;)
MDC Insider

Hey MDC

yeah i do, i include the time it takes to unzip the cover and hammer the pegs in. and make sure the legs on the back are down.
2012 D40 Navara St and a MDC Tbox V3

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2014, 01:04:31 PM »
One thing i like about our dingo is that although its a 12 footer, the internal poles make it quick to set up the basic tent. Remove the cover flip the tent over then just pull the canvas out, chuck in a few pegs  and adjust the poles, add 2 pegs for the end guy ropes and the basic tent is up.
  Probably 10mins for that and another 10 or so for the full awning with poles, we dont have any front for our annexe but i would say 30mins total if it did.
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2014, 02:17:34 PM »
I know my camper is getting easier each time I set it up, My method, open beer, :cheers:  press button, 8) drink beer,  :cheers: finished. :cup:

Looking forward to seeing the button which sorts the beer out for you.....  ;D
2013 Expanda OB

Offline Ratbag

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2014, 02:33:38 PM »
Gidday Dave

Found this U-Tube video from Kulkyne Kampers, setting up an Oztrail Camper 10 (the tent that I have on my CT is much smaller -   an Oztrail Camper 6. But then, I'm much smaller and less fit than the guy in the video, too ... ;) )

Setting up an Oztrail Camper 10 I reckon it shouldn't take me more than about 8-10 minutes to set mine up, including the annexe, now that the internal poles are adjusted.

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2014, 05:20:28 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the button which sorts the beer out for you.....  ;D

It has been suggested I should buy one of these.  :cheers:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dual-Drinking-Can-Holding-Hat-Helmet-Beer-Coke-BLACK-/270558509516

Offline frenchac

• Swag User
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2014, 06:15:21 PM »
Hi Jakster1
We have a 2010 Modcon Imperial rear fold soft floor with all the bells and whistles.
For a quick overnight stop it only takes a couple of minutes to pull the tonneau off, unload the chairs, ensuite tent, solar panel and awning and wall bags from the top of the trailer and flip it out.
We have the 9 ft tent which is big enough for the 4 of us.
We either use the bunks for the kids,(which concertinas down flat and slides under the main mattress when packing away) or self inflating mattresses side by side on the floor.
To add the awning takes about 15 minutes.  If we were to hang the walls, that would take about 10 more minutes but you wouldn't put these on, nor the awning for a quick overnight stop.
To pack down the camper after a quick overnighter is only about 5 minutes.
It really depends how much extra "stuff" you unload as to how long the total pack up time is.  At least with this style of camper, everything has it's place.

It could be for sale !!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Ratbag

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2014, 04:05:29 PM »
Just set my OzTrail Camper 6 up for the second time to do a reccy on removing the part of the lid under the trailer bed access hatch, and to drill some marker holes through so that I can attack this from underneath.

Set up time was 3m15s, but as it was set up in the driveway (bricks on concrete ... ), I didn't put pegs through the floor loops.
It is also good to know that I can set it up here at home after organising some concrete blocks to tie it down to.

Pack up time was about 8 mins, but that's only because I forgot to put the pole and peg bags back on top before I had put the travelling cover back over it, so includes the time to remove it, put the poles on top, then replace the travelling cover. Stupid mistake on my part, but I expect to get better at this as time goes on.

Neither of the above times counts putting up/packing up the annexe, (left it folded back over the tent roof). This is pretty simple with this tent and model. I gather from some reading here that this is not always the case.

Both of these times were done solo, with no help at all - how it will be in the field for me.

My SWMBO saw it erected for the first time today, and was quite impressed with how easy it was to set up/take down, and how commodious and airy it was.
So am I ... Just as well after spending all that dough on this project!

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2014, 04:10:29 PM »
Hi Jakster1
We have a 2010 Modcon Imperial rear fold soft floor with all the bells and whistles.
For a quick overnight stop it only takes a couple of minutes to pull the tonneau off, unload the chairs, ensuite tent, solar panel and awning and wall bags from the top of the trailer and flip it out.
We have the 9 ft tent which is big enough for the 4 of us.
We either use the bunks for the kids,(which concertinas down flat and slides under the main mattress when packing away) or self inflating mattresses side by side on the floor.
To add the awning takes about 15 minutes.  If we were to hang the walls, that would take about 10 more minutes but you wouldn't put these on, nor the awning for a quick overnight stop.
To pack down the camper after a quick overnighter is only about 5 minutes.
It really depends how much extra "stuff" you unload as to how long the total pack up time is.  At least with this style of camper, everything has it's place.

It could be for sale !!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just curious, does your look like mine here, I'm thinking could be very similar.
2013 Expanda OB

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2014, 04:12:18 PM »
Just set my OzTrail Camper 6 up for the second time to do a reccy on removing the part of the lid under the trailer bed access hatch, and to drill some marker holes through so that I can attack this from underneath.

Set up time was 3m15s, but as it was set up in the driveway (bricks on concrete ... ), I didn't put pegs through the floor loops.
It is also good to know that I can set it up here at home after organising some concrete blocks to tie it down to.

Pack up time was about 8 mins, but that's only because I forgot to put the pole and peg bags back on top before I had put the travelling cover back over it, so includes the time to remove it, put the poles on top, then replace the travelling cover. Stupid mistake on my part, but I expect to get better at this as time goes on.

Neither of the above times counts putting up/packing up the annexe, (left it folded back over the tent roof). This is pretty simple with this tent and model. I gather from some reading here that this is not always the case.

Both of these times were done solo, with no help at all - how it will be in the field for me.

My SWMBO saw it erected for the first time today, and was quite impressed with how easy it was to set up/take down, and how commodious and airy it was.
So am I ... Just as well after spending all that dough on this project!

We had the oztrail 6 before our current camper and just had it on everday type 6x4 it was super quick set up and stood up in some windy conditions I did love how easy it was.  We wanted a more offroad trailer with more storage and the oztrail 6 didn't have a lot of room for the dogs in on the floor so now have a 9ft tent. I would buy an oztrail tent again if I was in the market for one.

Offline Ratbag

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2014, 05:13:52 PM »
Thanks for that info, Nay-D. I don't expect it to be made like a $2,000 suit or a ball gown, but good to know that the brand make good serviceable products. It appears to be that way to me, but as I have said elsewhere, ask me after I have been through an inch an hour storm in it ...

This is an absolute minefield for someone like me. It has taken me 2y8m to re-build my trailer so that it is off-road worthy. Fortunately, I haven't make any really expensive mistakes, so far! I don't call $212 to fix a few things up after the tent was fitted "expensive", specially when the amount included adding two gas bottle holders ...

There are still a couple of things to do yet.

One is to complete the fixing of the tent to the trailer lid - one bolt is in the wrong place (to be moved), and another two 3/8" bolts need to be put in. Then rivet a piece of aluminium angle around the lid framing and screw it to the tent base board. Plenty of silicone, of course ... ;).

Next will be cutting the hole through the lid for access to the trailer bed (the lid, complete with tent attached, is removable, and I have a tiny little ratchet winch that should be good for the 150 kgs it all weighs). The edges of the sheet steel that I cut through will be screwed to the edges of the base board access panel hole.

After that's done, I can work out the final position of dividers (etc) in the trailer bed so that things don't wander about too much.

It's getting there, I feel, and I was very surprised at how quickly and easily I could put this up by myself today. My Crusader tent takes me longer to put up, and is harder for me to do!

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2014, 05:27:28 PM »
Thanks for that info, Nay-D. I don't expect it to be made like a $2,000 suit or a ball gown, but good to know that the brand make good serviceable products. It appears to be that way to me, but as I have said elsewhere, ask me after I have been through an inch an hour storm in it ...

This is an absolute minefield for someone like me. It has taken me 2y8m to re-build my trailer so that it is off-road worthy. Fortunately, I haven't make any really expensive mistakes, so far! I don't call $212 to fix a few things up after the tent was fitted "expensive", specially when the amount included adding two gas bottle holders ...

There are still a couple of things to do yet.

One is to complete the fixing of the tent to the trailer lid - one bolt is in the wrong place (to be moved), and another two 3/8" bolts need to be put in. Then rivet a piece of aluminium angle around the lid framing and screw it to the tent base board. Plenty of silicone, of course ... ;).

Next will be cutting the hole through the lid for access to the trailer bed (the lid, complete with tent attached, is removable, and I have a tiny little ratchet winch that should be good for the 150 kgs it all weighs). The edges of the sheet steel that I cut through will be screwed to the edges of the base board access panel hole.

After that's done, I can work out the final position of dividers (etc) in the trailer bed so that things don't wander about too much.

It's getting there, I feel, and I was very surprised at how quickly and easily I could put this up by myself today. My Crusader tent takes me longer to put up, and is harder for me to do!

Yes we sold our camper top only to friends when we got our new one so good it is still getting used, if we had the space to store it off the trailer I would of been tempted to keep it for overnighters lol. The space and storage in the new one is good but the oztrail was so simple to put up etc.  I think the other half (lino6) would like the new one a bit better as the bed is bigger and I do like the queen innerspring mattress we have put in this one.  Good luck with the rest of the build

Offline Ratbag

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2014, 07:35:38 PM »
G'day again Nay-D

Yes we sold our camper top only to friends when we got our new one so good it is still getting used, if we had the space to store it off the trailer I would of been tempted to keep it for overnighters lol. The space and storage in the new one is good but the oztrail was so simple to put up etc.  I think the other half (lino6) would like the new one a bit better as the bed is bigger and I do like the queen innerspring mattress we have put in this one.  Good luck with the rest of the build

There's just the one of me, so the bed is unbelievably commodious ...  ;D . My SWMBO loathes camping, I suspect that our cats wouldn't like it either ...  ;D   8) . Having slept on crappy air mattresses or nothing at all for all my previous camping life, having a queen size bed to spread out on is just the lap of luxury! The mattress in the Camper 6 is exactly the same size as our Queen size bed at home, just a bit thinner. We have a spare woollen underlay that will fit nicely.

I also bought the (optional) sun room for mine. It comes with the three walls that can be used in any combination as infill panels for the annexe, and has a separate floor (same stuff as the trailer tent), and a modesty panel for the back of the trailer so that the wind doesn't blow up my kilt ... ;). I can't see myself using it all that much (but who knows?), but what I do know is that if one doesn't buy this sort of thing with the main part, the day after you have got the main part, the design will change, and the new one won't fit any more ... It's called "experience" and comes from living for quite a long time (so far, so good ...  ;D ).

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2014, 07:41:57 PM »
G'day again Nay-D

There's just the one of me, so the bed is unbelievably commodious ...  ;D . My SWMBO loathes camping, I suspect that our cats wouldn't like it either ...  ;D   8) . Having slept on crappy air mattresses or nothing at all for all my previous camping life, having a queen size bed to spread out on is just the lap of luxury! The mattress in the Camper 6 is exactly the same size as our Queen size bed at home, just a bit thinner. We have a spare woollen underlay that will fit nicely.

I also bought the (optional) sun room for mine. It comes with the three walls that can be used in any combination as infill panels for the annexe, and has a separate floor (same stuff as the trailer tent), and a modesty panel for the back of the trailer so that the wind doesn't blow up my kilt ... ;). I can't see myself using it all that much (but who knows?), but what I do know is that if one doesn't buy this sort of thing with the main part, the day after you have got the main part, the design will change, and the new one won't fit any more ... It's called "experience" and comes from living for quite a long time (so far, so good ...  ;D ).

Sorry to OP for bit off topic maybe the info will help others when choosing.

When we had ours we had the sunroom also and when we had ours it was one piece so all walls on we actually put it on most times as it gave us more room to sit out of the weather came in handy on hot days and when it was very windy. It didn't take us long at all to put the walls on really. I don't recall having floor or the part for at the tailgate. I love camping and so does the other half I probably ask him more when we are going camping than he asks me, pets do make it hard though we take the dogs whenever we can but have cat and horses to worry about.