Author Topic: Kirkys Fraser Island trip  (Read 3936 times)

Offline Kirky

• Swag User
Kirkys Fraser Island trip
« on: July 28, 2011, 08:18:48 PM »
Hi, I know there are probably a couple of Fraser Island threads running.  I am going on to the island in September, I have a petrol Prado and an 08 Jayco Swan Outback.
Just after any tips or suggestions, advice on tyre pressures and the like before I take the trip.  Have been off road in the sand before but not with a Jayco on the back.  Love to hear from other swaggers out there.

Thanks
KIRKY

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
Re: Kirkys Fraser Island trip
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 08:29:11 PM »
Tyre pressures are dependent on conditions, the tyres themselves, weight etc. I towed our camper easily with 15psi F&R and in the camper too. If it was really hot and the sand was soft I might have gone lower. In fact on an earlier trip I went down to 10psi on a very steep, very soft hill on a hot day.

I think most of our group were running ~20psi for the rest of the week when we weren't towing.

Start low, go slow, you'll be fine.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline 2 Brutal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 09:16:53 PM »
You shouldn't have a problem towing the Jayco on the island, some of the inland tracks get a bit tight in places but they are geneally fairly easy going. Best to set the camper up as a base and tour from there, no point trying to drag it all over the island and spend time each day setting camp.
I've towed ours easily across the island and managed fine with mid 20 psi in the tyres, really depends how dry it is over there.
The hardest part with the inland tracks and towing is if you have to move over usually the trailer won't follow you if there is a hump of sand in the middle of the track, the trailer will normally want to step out sideways on you so be warey of this or you'll side swipe the person coming the other way.
And reversing sometimes won't get you anywhere either, except all crossed up.
The island can be very dry and the tracks chewed up, if it rains overnight they are totally different to drive the next day,another thing to be cautious of on inland tracks is tree roots and broken boards on the tracks, you can easily pinch a tyre if you hit 1 too quick.
Custom made stone guards and boat loaders for Jayco Outbacks and more.

Offline Kirky

• Swag User
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 08:43:33 AM »
Thanks Big Jules and 2Brutal, the plan is to set up camp at Dilli Village.  Nice and grassy for the chef and kids then explore the island from there.  I know its a bit south but the chef likes the idea of the grassy location with amenities.  Am really appreciating the advice and look forward to some more.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 09:05:28 AM »
Thanks Big Jules and 2Brutal, the plan is to set up camp at Dilli Village.  Nice and grassy for the chef and kids then explore the island from there.  I know its a bit south but the chef likes the idea of the grassy location with amenities.  Am really appreciating the advice and look forward to some more.

Dilli really is the nicest place to stay on Fraser and the extra distance to see most things isn't really a problem...in fact, one of the inland tracks start right out the front gate..
Don't forget to take some firewood.....you can have a proper fire at Dilli.

We ran our tyres at 18 ..all week...didn't really need to, but if you get  in the soft stuff getting out of the way of someone on the inland tracks it makes it a lot easier on you
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Smarter than the average Bear
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 09:15:48 AM »
Don't forget the tyres on the camper and if you have lowered your tyre pressure lower your speed to suit. Have a good trip :D

yogi

Offline rodree81

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 11:04:16 AM »
Kirky I was there on the Queens birthday weekend. Pajero with camper trailer all running 22psi with no problems. Try and plan your trips just as the tide starts to fall, gives you longer time to get around without the worry of incomming tides.
Also the Dingoes were terrible just up near Eurong, keep kids in sight when out of the compound, they will approach to within 2mtrs of adults!!!
We had to come home via the inland track (exit is south of Dilli) was not to bad and has Toilet Dump station at the lower end.
Speak with the Barge operator regarding what time they reccomend to come off the island, you may struggle around hook point from 3hrs or more from low tide.

We were only allowed to use heat beads, no timber fires so double check!
NP Did, 3" Lift, Custom guards, Custom rear shelve, Red Arc isolator, KL78 Kumhos, Rear work light.
Castaway camper with - 120A/H battery and LED light install.

Offline Markss

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 11:57:35 AM »
Agree with letting the tyres down - and do everything you can to drive up the beach at the lowest possible tide.  No, it's not 100% necessary but it will be much cruisier!

From my experience, the softest sand on Fraser is just before Indian Head through to Waddy Point.  In other words, on your way to the Champagne Pools.
http://www.fraserisland.net/fraser-island-map.html

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 12:13:47 PM »
Yep....Dilli is the only place you can have a " proper" fire...on the ground, with as much wood as you can put on it ( depends on how much you carry in )

We travelled everywhere 2 hrs either side of low tide and had no problems at all...and if you follow it strictly with your run around Hook Pt, you'll be laughing......that's when the fuel tankers etc make their runs,
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Macca357

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 08:14:12 PM »
Hi Kirky, just got back from a week on Fraser with 2011 Outback Hawk and V6 Petrol Pathfinder.  We drove across the island from Wanggoobla Creek and stayed at Cathedral Beach.  I ran tyres on Pathy at 18psi and Hawk on 22 psi. It does depend on your tyre and wheel size as to what will be right for you.  We had no problems but the day after we got up Cathedral hill (entrance) 2 Prados got bogged, one with Jayco Swan and one without.  Tyre pressure is the key.  Next time I'll drive on at Inskip point and take the easy drive up the beach instead of the inland track from Wanggoolba. As 2bRutal says you cant reverse on the inland tracks with the jayco on back if you got into trouble it wouldn't be much fun.

After 8 or 9 trips I reckon this was the most dingoes i've seen, all in good condition too. Plenty of big Tailor, all up approx 40 tailor caught over 4 days.

Have a good trip, I'll post a few pics this weekend.  :cheers: Macca.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 08:51:55 PM »
if your driving up the island from Inskip Point barges at lowtide, then the only soft sand you'll encounter is about 200 mtrs going out to the barge, and then whatever soft sand is between the main beach and Dilli Village, the rest is an easy run.
before we got our KK, we used to take an old 13ft Millard caravan up the island to about Dundaburra at lowtide without an issues what so ever.

The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t