Author Topic: Flooding around Taree :(  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Flooding around Taree :(
« on: June 15, 2011, 11:19:22 PM »
Hope everyone is safe up there..
Parts of Taree given evacuation order June 15, 2011 - 4:43PM
Hundreds of residents in northern NSW have been ordered to evacuate their homes as water levels continue to rise amid torrential rain.

The State Emergency Service (SES) issued the warning this afternoon after predictions the Manning River could reach a flood level of 3.7 metres about midnight today.

Residents in Taree West, Taree North, Chatham, Browns Creek and Dawson River Caravan Park have been put on notice.

A spokeswoman from the SES said between 500 and 600 people were likely to be affected.

She said the SES was doorknocking homes in the Taree region urging people to leave within three hours, but didn't have a timeframe for when they could return.

Residents are being encouraged to pack three days worth of clothing and medicine and to switch off power and water mains at their homes.

Evacuation areas have been established at Taree PCYC and Taree High School.

The SES has warned that those delaying evacuation face the threat of congested roads and risk being trapped.

AAP
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/parts-of-taree-given-evacuation-order-20110615-1g3fs.html
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
Re: Flooding around Taree :(
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 11:39:50 PM »
Due to my job I'm constantly monitoring river levels, and Taree is on the same page as our local rivers. It looks very untidy everywhere up north.

Manning R at Wingham**   10.45pm Wed    12.07   steady   major   
Manning R at Taree**           10.45pm Wed      2.22        rising           minor   

From here
http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDN60141.html
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 09:47:17 AM »
Due to my job I'm constantly monitoring river levels, and Taree is on the same page as our local rivers. It looks very untidy everywhere up north.

Manning R at Wingham**   10.45pm Wed    12.07   steady   major   
Manning R at Taree**           10.45pm Wed      2.22        rising           minor   

From here
http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDN60141.html
it looked BAD on the news this morning :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline WaituiRob

• "Oldies still doing it.....Camping that is!
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 02:31:48 PM »
Hi Lost,

I live at Harrington which is 20 klms. north of Taree ,across the road from the Manning River and while the road into Harrington has been closed and the river has risen a lot, the town has not been flooded. I don`t any more about Taree than this mornings news.

In case you`re not familiar with Taree here`s a Google pic. As you can see it is surrounded by the Manning River and prone to flooding. I live to right of the picture where the Manning meets the ocean.

The other two photos were taken after the water level had fallen half a metre, while it`s not very high, you can normally walk where the trees are and take a tinny under the bridge on the breakwall.

Rob.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 02:39:43 PM »
Hi Lost,

I live at Harrington which is 20 klms. north of Taree ,across the road from the Manning River and while the road into Harrington has been closed and the river has risen a lot, the town has not been flooded. I don`t any more about Taree than this mornings news.

In case you`re not familiar with Taree here`s a Google pic. As you can see it is surrounded by the Manning River and prone to flooding. I live to right of the picture where the Manning meets the ocean.

The other two photos were taken after the water level had fallen half a metre, while it`s not very high, you can normally walk where the trees are and take a tinny under the bridge on the breakwall.

Rob.
Cheers Rob, lets hope the news is wrong as usual on this one... Whole lot of familes from where I grew up in Kurnell have moved up there over time... but lost contact with most. just hope everyone gets out well.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline WaituiRob

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 03:42:15 PM »
Hi Lost,

I hope your friends are safe and well, latest report is that the water is receding in Taree. We haven`t had any rain today so that`s a good sign after 6 days of continual rain. I think Taree was hard hit, will know more after local news tonight.

Rob.

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 04:39:11 PM »
Got a mate who owns Autobarn there, better give him a buzz. Hope things get better.
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline WaituiRob

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 05:42:34 PM »
Black Diamond,

Even though Autobarn is on the river side of the street it should be o.k. as it`s a bit higher there.
 Just been told the lower part of Taree C.B.D. is inundated and also no way in or out of Harrington for next 24 hours.

Rob.

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 07:07:29 PM »
Cheers Rob, lets hope the news is wrong as usual on this one... Whole lot of familes from where I grew up in Kurnell have moved up there over time... but lost contact with most. just hope everyone gets out well.

The media sometimes need to take a chill pill, Settle down and stop scaring people.
I've had about 20 phone calls today from people checking that we are all right because they have heard the reports that our area is in dire straights.
I'm not saying its not bad, But the local radio and print media here have been saying that the residents of Bulga and Milbrodale are on high alert with the expected flooding. We are fine, There is no threat, It would take another 4 meters of flood before we are even cut off from Singleton as we were in 2007. It would then take another 5 meters of flood before it reached the first house, But apparently we are on high alert.
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 07:39:49 PM »
Black Diamond,

Even though Autobarn is on the river side of the street it should be o.k. as it`s a bit higher there.
 Just been told the lower part of Taree C.B.D. is inundated and also no way in or out of Harrington for next 24 hours.

Rob.
Just spoke to him and he is all good, but he says if the rain persists over the next couple of days he might become an island.
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 07:47:46 PM »
Quote from: singo-26
I'm not saying its not bad, But the local radio and print media here have been saying that the residents of Bulga and Milbrodale are on high alert with the expected flooding. We are fine, There is no threat, It would take another 4 meters of flood before we are even cut off from Singleton as we were in 2007. It would then take another 5 meters of flood before it reached the first house, But apparently we are on high alert.
The issue is they have people in all sorts of areas they need to cover thus why they give blanket alert warnings.. Its the same in fires...
The problem is Shit can happen overnight while people are sleeping (how you would sleep in a situation like that is hard to work out). Like it did in Queensland... people went to bed with water klms from them, sun up their houses were 2ft under.

anyway good to know your not in trouble with it at moment.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 07:52:56 PM »
BOM tides say 2m high at 2045 tonight so should be reflected at Taree about 1-2 am.
After tonight the high tide heights drop away.
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 08:54:07 PM »
Hi Guys,
We dodged a bullet up here on the Clarence, our ferry is off for who knows how long, The wife has a 80 each way trip for work ATM. I know South Grafton copped it as did down the coast towards you guys.
Here is a link that may help with river heights.
Mid-North - Rainfall and River Conditions
Stay dry.
 ;D
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline bj4408

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 05:11:36 PM »
Around the Gloucester area we only had small amounts of flooding behind the main street  but the river flats on the alll went under. Its the highest river levels in the Little Manning and Barnard and Avon since the 70's. Had .5m of water over the road before the Barrington River bridge. The new bridge at Bretti ended up with 1m of water over it.

Thunderbolts Way is closed till furthter notice with a landslide 52km north of Gloucester (south of Carsons Lookout). The road is completely blocked with mud and trees. Council will try and start clearing it next week. There is more of the hillside and trees ready to come down as well so not an easy job.

Didn't get much sleep for a few of days.

regards
Bruce
Crew of "The Shuttle". http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=1999.0