Author Topic: Karijini in July?  (Read 8290 times)

V8TL8

Karijini in July?
« on: May 31, 2011, 11:28:03 PM »
Hi All.

Considering finally making time to get Karijini.

When would be the best time of year to go to Karijini? Any thoughts?

Weather?
Heat, cold at night? rain etc?

Road closures?

Need to make bookings?

We would prefer to just amble up the WA coast and then hook inland when it suits us rather than have to stick to a schedule.

What permits would we need and where would we get them?

Is there a good website that covers all this somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

ChrisB

Offline Fitzy247

• Learning the Ropes
Re: Karijini in July?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 12:22:21 AM »
Gday Chris

Anytime from now on is going to be good weather during the day but getting very chilly at night time, and in the water. If there hasn't been any rain leading up then there shouldn't been any concern for road closures...

As for bookings its always best to ring ahead or have a back up - there are a few tourists starting to make an appearance around town... If you want to stay out in Karijini there is the Eco Retreat or Dales Gorge Camping Ground, or in Tom Price, where i live, there is the Caravan Park which you will probably have to book.

No permits just the usual NP entrance fees... unless you want use the mine's rail access road to get to Karratha which you can get from the visitor center in TP...

Check this website
http://www.tompricewa.com.au/karijini.asp

Dont forget to check out Hammersley Gorge too, most people skip it cos its a bit out of the way compared but i reckon its worth the drive... And Fern Pool too actually, the first time i went i completely missed Fern Pool cos there wasn't any signs but it is awesome!

Cheers
Trent

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 09:05:38 AM »
I was there in July last year and it was packed, We camped in an overflow section near Dales Campground. We spent a few nights there so we found one night it would be busy the next the numbers could drop by over 50% were we camped. The overflow section had drop toilets.

The weather was warm but very comfortable to do the walks. The info centre is well worth the stop.

Be prepared for plenty of dust too. We had trouble with the rear door lock when we got into Tom Price beacuae of the dust, that was before we even headed into Karijini.
 We followed the railway line down from the North like what Fitzy mentioned it was a good drive,

Cheers
Rich
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:11:42 AM by GU Rich »
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 09:32:40 AM »
If you can, avoid school holidays as its normally packed out then, apart from that you should be sweet. Dont be too tempted to stay at the eco retreat campground because of the showers - the extra cost per night isnt worth it as the hot water gets used up very quickly and you'll often end up with a cold shower.

Day time temps are nice and warm, night time gets chilly - often under 5degC. I've just moved to Tom Price and im still getting used to the cold mornings ;D

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 09:40:38 AM »
There are also showers available adjacent to the info centre at the toilet block.

Rich

FOLLOW ME ON

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My Cruiser & AORC Quantum
    • My online pics
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 09:52:36 AM »
Hi Chris,

If you are interested in a different direction, we are off to Uluru and Kings Canyon during July  8)

Cheers

Captain
My GXL TTD 200 Landcruiser and AORC Quantum loaded with Kayaks and bikes (my Camprite now sold )

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 03:36:27 PM »
Hi Chris,

If you are interested in a different direction, we are off to Uluru and Kings Canyon during July  8)

Cheers

Captain
I am also off to Uluru in July if verything goes to plan in the next few days
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline albany_nomads

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dylan..Mans best friend
    • John Grant Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 06:04:19 PM »
Just got back from Karajini approx 3 to 4 weeks ago..great place...had a ball..spent 4 nights there
Avoid school holidays and peak of summer...no need for bookings but stay away from school holidays
Carry at least 20 litres of spare fuel.
We stayed at the Dale Gorge site that was only 10 km from hot showers each night at the Tourist centre .
Highly recomend a full walk of Dales gorge and visit Fortscue Falls and fern pool for a swim.
And a visit to Weano and Knox Gorge at the other end of the park (60 km away).
We did heaps of walking and exploring..just take good foot wear, hat, small backpack, water and a FLY net..enjoy your break.
Kind Regards: John, Nola & Dylan (The Albany Nomads )

MY BLOG:   http://johngrantphotography.wordpress.com/

V8TL8

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 10:44:31 PM »
Great replies thanks all.
Looks like just a few days there is not enough. Esp if we need a days’s rest between walks!

@ Fitzy/Trent

Yes would plan to stay there, I have read (somewhere?) the Eco retreat is overpriced.
As an alternative how far is the TP CP to the Karijini in terms of driving time?
Maybe get to TP for an overnighter and then into the park early.
Or maybe come up the other way and enter from the east.

Great website by the way, will go through this carefully.

@ Rich
Hmm, yes 2 of my 3 weeks leave are in the WA School Hols. May have to hot leg it up there in the first week to avoid the rush.
Overflow section sounds fine for us with the CT.
How is the railway line on the tyres? Will have 2 spares with us, but still the standard factory tyres on the Patrol for the moment, while they have plenty of tread left.

@ Shane
Night time chilly: OK we were in Nanga Mill this weekend, down to 4 degrees both nights, manageable with the right gear, but more so with the campfire in the evening! Does Karijini allow fires? Can you get wood there? Lot of wood to carry for say 4 or 5 nights there.

@ Albany Nomads
Great pikkies and nice looking camper setup.
Ok, extra fuel, already planned, can do.
Showers at the tourist centre, get there early!
Fly nets always in the camper and in the car!

Which way up did you go? via tom price or better to go up via Meekatharra?

@ Captain: ok that's a long way to go.
What route would you take?
Certainly looks interesting, and likely against the flow of the holiday trafffic?

Some more general questions:
1. Vodafone is pretty useless even here in Mandurah.
How ‘bout up there abouts in TP / Karijini?
2. Tyres: need to go to AT yet?
3. Fires allowed at the Park?
4. own camp showers allowed?

Do appreciate all the comments.

Cheers
Chris

Offline albany_nomads

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dylan..Mans best friend
    • John Grant Photography
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 10:51:45 PM »
Great replies thanks all.
Looks like just a few days there is not enough. Esp if we need a days’s rest between walks!

@ Albany Nomads
Great pikkies and nice looking camper setup.
Ok, extra fuel, already planned, can do.
Showers at the tourist centre, get there early!
Fly nets always in the camper and in the car!

Which way up did you go? via tom price or better to go up via Meekatharra?

Do appreciate all the comments.

Cheers
Chris

We went up via the Great Northern Hwy through Meeka and Mt Newman ( first overnight stop at Cue and then Newman..though you could miss the overnight in Newman and make a long day to Karijini..though there is a good over night stop between Newman and Karijini called Mt Robinson)
3 Nights in Karijini then 1 night at tom price.
Spent 1 night in Canarvon
3 nights in Denham
3 Nights in Kalbarri
Then back to Perth for 2 nights before heading home to Albany

No telephone reception not even Telstra
Yep you can use your own camp shower.
They have pit toilets at the camp site and they  are cleaned every day.
As for fires..idont think so..but I could be wrong..but doubt it
Cost was $14.00 per night (2 adults) and they included entry pass for us in that

Have a great trip
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 11:00:37 PM by albany_nomads »
Kind Regards: John, Nola & Dylan (The Albany Nomads )

MY BLOG:   http://johngrantphotography.wordpress.com/

Offline theflyingbadger

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 10:59:09 PM »

Some more general questions:
1. Vodafone is pretty useless even here in Mandurah.
How ‘bout up there abouts in TP / Karijini?
2. Tyres: need to go to AT yet?
3. Fires allowed at the Park?
4. own camp showers allowed?

1. we had nothing in Karijini, and that was on telstra. so i'd be *very* surprised if voda had anything (seeing as they struggle in Perth CBD!)
2. I was on the stock patrol tires when we went. it was wet when we were there at easter, but they were fine
3. No
4. don't see why not, as long as you're supplying the water!
Jon

CRD TD42TI Patrol - Ultimate Xtrk TBD

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 11:35:22 PM »
The railway line is to the north of Karijini from Tom Price, you'll need to pick up a permit though. It's free but you will need to watch a 20 minute video.  We didn't have any problems with tyres for our entire 4 month trip. We always adjusted the tyre pressures to suit. There were cars running around Karijini so you should be fine.

If you have time head up to Millstream also.
We also went to and stayed at all the places that the Albany Nomads did too. We also went to the Pinnicles, not much i the way of free camping around there but you never know what you'll find.  ;)

Cheers

FOLLOW ME ON

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My online pics
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 11:58:51 PM »
Hi Chris,

Others have pretty well summed up your questions, it will be cold at night, make sure you use the thermal fly  ;D .  And the suggestion for Millstream is a good one, I reckon its one of my favorite spots. A nice round trip we have done a few times is Karijini, Millstream and then back via Ningaloo. If you have 3 weeks it should be long enough to spend time at each place.

Camped on the banks at Millstream (Deep Pool I think?)

The view from our campsite - priceless  :cup:

Would you believe we travelled around Australia, as far North as Daintree in QLD, and the only puntures we got was on the Tom Price railway line. Got 2 puntures in 10kms - thought carrying 2 spares was a waste, but saved my bacon that time. Luck of the draw as it was some sharp rocks kicked over by the front wheels both times I reckon.

Have fun  8)

Cheers

Captain
My GXL TTD 200 Landcruiser and AORC Quantum loaded with Kayaks and bikes (my Camprite now sold )

Offline whoosha

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 02:25:25 AM »
It is a great place. went there 2yrs ago just after Easter (in school holidays and it was not that packed).

The visitor centre has a public telephone and they sell phone cards and ice among other things.

Dingos use to come at night rummaging around the camper. There were heaps of bugs at night, that is why my wife is on my back for a camper (read Jayco Hawk outback) that fully seals to keep the creepies out.

We missed out on Milstream, always hearing great things about it.
2005 GUIV Patrol 3.0L manual
Family tent

Offline Fitzy247

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 12:17:25 PM »
@ Fitzy/Trent

Yes would plan to stay there, I have read (somewhere?) the Eco retreat is overpriced.
As an alternative how far is the TP CP to the Karijini in terms of driving time?
Maybe get to TP for an overnighter and then into the park early.
Or maybe come up the other way and enter from the east.

Great website by the way, will go through this carefully.

Its roughly an hours drive form TP to Karijini - Dales camping ground...

The Great Northern Hwy would be quicker...

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 05:37:10 PM »
No fires within the national park. Your looking at around 1 1/2hrs to get to the eastern end of the park from Tom Price from memory

V8TL8

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 10:03:20 PM »
So will probably go in from the East via Newman, out to TP and Carnarvon.
Won't tell my better half about the creepy crawlies yet...
No fires, there was a thread here about camp heaters, better investigate that then!

Thanks all.

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My online pics
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 11:38:43 PM »
Yeah, just remembered how bad the fly's were in the day and the moths at night - was worse at Ningaloo but still bad all thru the Pilbarra on that trip, even the locals reckoned it was bad - have done that trip a few times and never seen anything like it. I swear there was about a 10 minute break between the flys on dayshift and moths at night swapping shifts! In all my 20++ years of camping we had never used head fly nets, bought 4 at a ridiculous price in Exmouth but glad we did. But have never used them since that trip.

After the trip, we also bought a Coleman "fly tent" for any future issues, we couldn't cook/eat in peace so needed a plan B. Its like a tent without the cover but made of mesh only, the poles were all joined like an octopus and it self erected. Never used it!!!

Cheers

Captain