Author Topic: All Terrain and Tambo  (Read 4841 times)

Offline Pling

• Tent User
All Terrain and Tambo
« on: May 10, 2011, 11:40:04 AM »
Hello all,

After looking for quite some time the Mrs and I have narrowed our purchase down to these two trailers.

Both seem to have very good reviews but am Interested in anyones views on these two, wether it be an owner or you know of someone that has one.
The Allterain is built tough and is said that it can handle anything you can throw at it yet the Tambo has the same reputation of build quality and being a very tough camper.

So why the price difference is what my wife keeps asking me and I cant find any answers????????

Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated

Cheers

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: All Terrain and Tambo
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 11:51:55 AM »
Which actual models are you talking about?

You will always find differences between makes due to quality of accessories, and some charge $ just for the name (more in the high end trailers)

Personally I highly recommend buying one Local so you can get issues sorted out face to face.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 11:58:04 AM »
Welcome to myswag Pling. Both are great campers. Having owned a Tambo I am biased. For me if would depend on where I lived as I like to eyeball the manufacturer.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Pling

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 12:28:08 PM »
Ok good point however, am hoping the reputation of either company will prevent any probs with the build or manufacture, but taken on board.

All terrain have just released a new walk up model however this is out of our price range so It would be the earlier style Full Off Road Camper.
Tambo have the Cooper XT or the Omeo which are both in our price range so either really. probably leaning towards the Omeo (yet to see one).

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 12:29:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum Pling, I have a Tambo Cooper and have not had any problem with it, the canvas is great and the trailer is strong. The team at Tambo are great and I have had no problems with the trailer, I had to get a wall repaired which was out of warranty and it was done for free.

Cannot comment on AT, they have a good reputation at well. Check out my thread with links below, where are you located?

GG

Offline Pling

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 12:38:54 PM »
Hi GG,

Im based in Sydney, 10 mins from the All Terrain shop!

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 12:45:39 PM »
I'm based in Sydney, 10 mins from the All Terrain shop!
That would be a deal maker for me right there.

Since your looking in Vic at Tambo I would also consider Trackabout Trailers Qld - theres about 50,000* threads on them here and how good they are.

*rough guesstimate :)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline NewcastleKnight

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 12:50:04 PM »
Have a look in the my camper trailer section and find Joff's AT to see what he has done in his and how he modded it for his purposes.

We had a AT full off road and it was a great trailer but at the end of the day we were never going to use it for what it was built for so moved it on.

I was never however, unsatisfied with any aspects of it and it served us well.

I have not seen the new model, what is different about it?  The web site does not tell you much.

I agree with being close to the manufacturer helps to have things resolved more easily.

Offline Pling

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 02:29:06 PM »
This will be our first and hopefully only camper that we buy but judging by all the posts so far, would it be fair to say It's a common occurrence to have Issues when buying a new camper?
Or is it more of a what If scenario?

Offline Pling

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 02:36:22 PM »
To answer your question NK

Its a walk up to bed.
Kitchen is heavily revised very Impressive and well thought out
Kitchen and fridge pull out and swing to the side exposing pantry and draws behind it.
Better storage over all
Shower, hot and cold water, Electrics, extra water tank, awning walls etc all Included.
Spare on tailgate

But as said way over our budget!

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 02:36:39 PM »
This will be our first and hopefully only camper that we buy but judging by all the posts so far, would it be fair to say It's a common occurrence to have Issues when buying a new camper?
Everyone goes through what you are. its not a cheap thing to get wrong. Dont just focus on new trailers. Thers 100's of bargains out there 1000's cheaper than new which leaves you $ for modifications of your own.

So take your time, go and look at as many of them as you can. Some people take 12mths or more.

Go and hire a few camper trailers too.  Take them away for weekends, see what you like/dont like about them - even if they are not the ones your looking at. You can get good ideas of layout and if it would suit you and reasonable ideas what you need/dont need in a trailer. This may help in your final decision.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline blackstump

• ''LIFES TO SHORT TO BE SMALL''
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 02:38:09 PM »
hi Pling,

Given the two trailers in question, it would be a more ''what if scenario'' as both have very good reputations.

Dosnt necessarily have to be for ease of a problem resolution either. You may like to upgrade tent sections or add things to the trailer. Comes in handy if you dont have to travel interstate to do these things.

good luck with your choice.

IS THERE A PROBLEM OFFICER

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 03:13:42 PM »
I had a look at the AT trailer at the start of the year. They look well put together with a few little trick bits. The tent looked very easy to put up with some great features and very well thought out. I forget his name but the owner put it up by himself in front of me with ease. Unfortunately they were out of our price range at this stage and my only "complaint" was they looked heavy but that is the trade off for a tough trailer.

I won't comment on the Tambo as I don't know anything about them.

Offline Lex

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 04:10:56 PM »
Hi Pling

I am a Tambo owner (in Grafton on the nth coast of NSW) and was in the same place as you a couple of years ago.

I found it hard to choose as well but what swayed me was customer service. Tambo always called back and seemed much more helpful with my questions.

I was worried about warranty. However, Tambo assured me that they would look after me in the event of a problem...which did  not happen anyway.

My trailer has been awesome. The canvas is great quality and the trailer has been faultless so far.

I am sure that all-terrain make a good CT as well but I am happy with my choice.

Good luck making up your mind.

Up the Rabbitohs

Offline Bushman

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Apprentice Grey Nomad"
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 06:48:58 PM »
I had a look at the AT trailer at the start of the year. They look well put together with a few little trick bits. The tent looked very easy to put up with some great features and very well thought out. I forget his name but the owner put it up by himself in front of me with ease. Unfortunately they were out of our price range at this stage and my only "complaint" was they looked heavy but that is the trade off for a tough trailer.

I won't comment on the Tambo as I don't know anything about them.

His name is Glenn,  we went to the AT Factory back in 06 when we were looking, While his wife was very friendly and sociable and very knowledgable of her product, I found Glenn  very off putting to the point of being rude. and everything was an effort,  especially when is wife asked him to move a trailer so she could open other one.
No doubt they have a quality well built product.
09 Pajero NT  RX Limited  (SOLD)
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback  (SOLD)
2019 Trailblazer LTZ (SOLD)
2014 Golden Eagle Escape (SOLD)
2021 Pajero Sport GLX
2020 Vacationer Roadtracker.

R.I.P "MILO"  The Border Collie 2008-2018
Forever in our hearts 🐾🐾

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 07:43:24 PM »

His name is Glenn,  we went to the AT Factory back in 06 when we were looking, While his wife was very friendly and sociable and very knowledgable of her product, I found Glenn  very off putting to the point of being rude. and everything was an effort,  especially when is wife asked him to move a trailer so she could open other one.
No doubt they have a quality well built product.

Funny that I must have got him on a good day. I felt guilty when I left because of the effort his wife went to to show me the tent side of things once Glenn opened it up and I didn't purchase. Also Glenn just jumped in and offered to open the tent and trailer up where I was just casually looking so would have been content just to look the trailer over and chat.

Offline tambodaryl

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 08:39:11 PM »
Hi Pling,
             don't know too much about the AT but purchased a secondhand Tambo cooper about a year ago and am more than happy.  Great strong product and excellent canvas no leaks in plenty of rain.  I have found support from Keith and Amanda at Tambo to be excellent even though I bought secondhand.   Cheers Daryl.

Offline Joff

• "This is my Custom User Title"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 10:13:35 PM »
Why not look at second hand  ;D

You can buy mine if you want  :angel:
HDJ-105 full dresser plus modded Allterrain and NO BLING

Offline Pling

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 10:38:24 PM »
Gday Joff,

Got me Interested, where abouts are you & what year model is yours??

Offline Joff

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 10:49:27 PM »
North Richmond and it's a modified 07 model.

Offline Pling

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 09:40:06 AM »
Hey Joff,

Wont rule it out mate, however was after 09 and on model when they went to the larger trailer and moon roof over bed.

Will PM you when I speak with the wife and maybe organise to have a look. Just out of curiosity is it the 17 or 14 ft Tent?

Cheers

Offline Joff

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 10:07:23 AM »
Hey Joff,

Wont rule it out mate, however was after 09 and on model when they went to the larger trailer and moon roof over bed.

Will PM you when I speak with the wife and maybe organise to have a look. Just out of curiosity is it the 17 or 14 ft Tent?

Cheers

Yep, mine is the 7' trailer, not the 8' and no it doesn't have a moon roof. It is the 17' tent.

Mine has also done some serious work too, so if you want a flash, new looking one, mine isn't new. It will go anywhere you ever want to go however  :cup:

Some lite reading

Build

When I first considered selling

Trip threads

Trip pics

Canning Stock Route

Simpson Desert

Offline GlennW-ATCT

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 02:45:14 PM »
sorry to have upset you back in 2006, must have been a bad day or a really bad day for yoy to remember it 5 years later. Unless you bought joffs trailer, the 17ft has just been awarded its second award this year for best offroader in the soft floor shoot out in which we went head to head against Tambo. Unfortunately Tambo were not included in Offroad Camper of the Year in which we also won our catergry. We also have a great special on ex demos at the moment so give us a call 02 98389965 regards Glenn