Author Topic: Apple ipad  (Read 3725 times)

Offline baker

• Sleeping Bag User
Apple ipad
« on: May 09, 2011, 10:16:20 PM »
Hi everyone i have been reading articles on people using ipads for gps systems they just down load the maps and use them on there travels.
Anybody used one and your feedback would be most appreciated.
Cheers
Baker

Offline shrek4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle AT12 & 2020 Nissan Patrol Ti-L
Re: Apple ipad
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 10:40:07 PM »
I don't use my iPad for navigation as I've an iPhone4 and find the size more convenient in the car.

That said, I use a program called Metroview Australia and it is fantastic and quite cheap (I think they sell it for less than $20).

I have the app on my iPad too and is great. You'd just need a decent bracket or way of holding the iPad up. Don't forget something to charge it too.

Shrek4

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 10:46:53 PM »
These things are pretty big - you would have to have somewhere decent to mount them out of the way. I wonder how they go with vibrations too? I was always tempted to set up a laptop with SATA drives

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia

Offline Lex

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 06:19:20 AM »
do they need phone/internet reception to work with the GPS?
Up the Rabbitohs

Offline shrek4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle AT12 & 2020 Nissan Patrol Ti-L
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 07:14:32 AM »
Not if you use Metroview or TomTom or similar. They download the maps for the entire country to the 3G iPad with internal GPS (wifi only models don't have internal GPS).

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 09:34:45 AM »
These things are pretty big - you would have to have somewhere decent to mount them out of the way. I wonder how they go with vibrations too? I was always tempted to set up a laptop with SATA drives

Aaron

Solid state memory so no moving discs, therefore vibration tolerant.  In the States, an aeroplane operator or two have received approval to use iPads as Electronic Flight Bags.  To do so, they had to demonstrate to the FAA's satisfaction that a decompression to 49,000' and 51,000' would not render the iPad inoperative.
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 11:57:47 AM »
I have an iPad with the VMS software and find it great. For the cost of a pure HEMA or VMS I have a tablet pc and gps. The 3G iPad has a true gps chip in it and is very accurate anywhere, not reliant on mobile network.

As a bonus I can use it like now on Internet whilst traveling, if in mobile range, using unbuilt Telstra sim card.
 :cheers:

Cam
Set your chickens free

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 12:49:30 PM »
For those in the know, can you use these iPads with a pre-paid card?
We have a mobile, prepaid, but only for emergencies like having a flat tyre on my push bike, or coming home later that kind of stuff.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline outback jack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 01:37:51 PM »
For those in the know, can you use these iPads with a pre-paid card?
We have a mobile, prepaid, but only for emergencies like having a flat tyre on my push bike, or coming home later that kind of stuff.

yeah mate all carriers have pre-paid for ipad. i'd go for the telstra one (much better coverage)  :cheers:

http://www.telstra.com.au/bigpond-internet/mobile-broadband/micro-sim-for-apple-ipad/?red=/latest_offers/ipad/

Offline Estelle

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • New members of the leisure club
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 05:37:12 PM »
do they need phone/internet reception to work with the GPS?

Phone internet reception is not required. You can download maps of the area into which you wish to head beforehand and call them up when needed.

We downloaded maps of the Oodnadatta and William Creek Rd before heading off just in case, but didn't need them, so haven't used the pad as a GPS as yet.

There is a fair bit of info on the iPad and iPhone in the Comms section.
Chris & John

05 DiD Platinum Pajero, Cub Spacevan Drover Off Road

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 05:49:31 PM »
now see.....you guys sound like you are doing it all wrong  8)

Small | Large
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 09:39:45 PM »
Hi All

I use an iPad with mud maps which is part of the VMS app. I have the Gregories Australia base map and some tighter ones from gregories, iTopo etc I find it excellent for trip planning and use whilst traveling and run the app on both iPhone and iPad. Due to the size I tend to use the iPhone on the move and the iPad whilst stopped. There are some really neat mounts from Ram for the iPad. One shortcoming that has become obvious is the memory capacity. You can buy the entire Vic high country maps in 1:25k scale but they come in at 14gb! You can also get the NSW topo maps in simalar scale and I imagine they will be close to in excess of an iPhone/ipad's entire memory. As you manage your purchases online I am hoping you can switch and change between regions bit the original idea was to have all my maps in one place.

The Tom Tom app is another great one, recently used it to travel all over the US. Very functional.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
Just to clarify, the 3G iPad is a true GPS, and doesn't use phone networks to locate it's position. The VMS app uses mud maps, and includes a heap of Itopo off road maps plus Gregorys maps covering all Oz. You can buy more maps on mud maps.

It will work anywhere a "normal" GPS works.

Internet connectivity is a separate issue. I got 12 months Telstra Internet prepaid for $150 from memory. Then you can use it as a simple laptop and surf the net anywhere there's Telstra mobile coverage.

Cheers,

Cam
Set your chickens free

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 09:49:59 PM »
Well, you learn something new every day. Very cool.

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia