Author Topic: Saving stored energy  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Muso

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The beatings will stop when morale improves
Saving stored energy
« on: March 25, 2011, 05:29:49 AM »
The best way of not using your stored energy, is simply don't use it. "This guys a nutter I hear you mumble". Maybe, but first consider this. My wife and I lived on our 40foot cat for 4 years and we learnt the hard way about renewable energy.
While a yacht (cruising live-aboard) as at anchor (daytime) it hardly uses any energy, but on windless overcast days the resupply is very limited.
One of the worst scenarios is underway at night. Running lights can consume quite a lot of power, again with limited re-supply (dont switch the genset on)

So the wife and I sat down and tried to work out how much energy we were consuming in a 24 hr period. One way of saving (while in port or at anchor) was to avoid using house lighting.
In the summer, first light is around 5.00 am and last light is around 8.30 pm. That's almost 15 hours of usable daylight and on a yacht that can be a long day and by 8.30 you are usually very tired and ready for sleep anyhow. You can still have a 9 hr sleep which should be plenty to maintain your health.

So, why not arrange your days around natural light and you will hardly need artificial light.
I know it's easier for us, because we are older and don't have kidlings and are used to retiring/rising early (usually aroung 5 am every day). Sometimes having a drink around the campfire at night is all the light you need. :cheers:
Cheers Glenn

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Saving stored energy
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 05:51:06 AM »
1st rule of camping / sailing . No Clocks  if your hungry eat , thirsty drink , tired sleep . If its dark find your way to bed & sleep if you want to . Sun time is the best there is , & it hasent failed yet  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 06:39:36 PM »
I understand exactly where you are coming from. In my days of sailing it was generally early to bed and wake up when ready, But the flaw in your thoughts is that I am yet to sail on any boat with a campfire. Having said that I try not to use lighting after dark in the camper except to cook and tuck the kids in to bed.
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

tinkera

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 07:14:59 PM »
1st rule of camping / sailing . No Clocks  if your hungry eat , thirsty drink , tired sleep . If its dark find your way to bed & sleep if you want to . Sun time is the best there is , & it hasent failed yet  :cheers:
    I agree you find in van parks around 5 to 6 ish people move in herds towards the showers as this is the time they shower at home and can,t understand why there is a line up. TINKERA.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 08:15:46 PM »
The camp fire could be a gas stove or a torch or something . The sun is something else .
Who should tells you when you should or should not get up or not as the case to you be  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust