Author Topic: Help with DIY Bike Racks (boat rack type)  (Read 5634 times)

Offline Sar_n_Jase

• Learning the Ropes
Help with DIY Bike Racks (boat rack type)
« on: March 22, 2011, 01:28:23 PM »
Hello!
I've been doing numerous searches and haven't been able to find exactly what I want, so I'm starting a new topic!
We've got a Ranger Camper with a dingy mounted on top, but as we've decided to get a bigger dingy we're going to stick that on top of the cruiser, and put the pushies on the camper boat rack.
My question is - does anyone have suggestions/pictures/ideas for the best way to do this? We have 2 mountain bikes that need mounting. Ive seen a few suggestions of pvc pipe or C channel but a bit more info on what others have done would be great. Also, have you taken the front wheel off the bike? and what have you used to fix the bike in place? etc etc. Any details would be great!

I've attempted to post pics but not sure if they will work! These are the best I have at the moment :)

Sar n Jase

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Help with DIY Bike Racks (boat rack type)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 01:42:39 PM »
Perhaps something like this from Rhino-Rack could be mounted on the rack on your camper.

http://www.rhinorack.com/AccSubCategory_Roof-Top-Bike-Carrier_12.aspx

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My Cruiser & AORC Quantum
    • My online pics
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 02:31:17 PM »
We have this bike rack on our camper, you could do a similair thing on top of the boat rack with C channel.

Cheers

Captain
My GXL TTD 200 Landcruiser and AORC Quantum loaded with Kayaks and bikes (my Camprite now sold )

Offline staghornflat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 07:41:12 PM »
we have our bikes mounted on rack on top of trailer and front wheels in some old forks behind stone gard and spare wheel.
2017 200 Cruiser
2010 KK limited edition

Offline BurnsOil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 09:56:28 PM »
For expensive mountain bikes the Yakima roof top bike  mount might be good http://www.yakima.com/shop/bike/top/highroller
Challenge 'Outback' Off Road Deluxe Camper Trailer;
Nissan Pathfinder R51 ST TD Man, Smartbar, Spotlights, AirLift 1000, Rhino Roof Racks, Waeco CF-50, dual battery, Uniden TX3440 UHF.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 03:49:42 AM »
Thats a fancy bike rack , bit steep at $199  . Sar n Jase you should be able to mount a mesh on top of your CT rack them use load binders as Capt has done , a whole bunch cheaper . ;D
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust