Author Topic: power packs for camp lights  (Read 6404 times)

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • welcome to the party that never ends
power packs for camp lights
« on: March 21, 2011, 08:25:56 PM »
looking at getting a cheap powerpack to run lights [ fluro or led,s ] on weekend camping trips .just until i get a battery set up for the ct.

what do u think of this one ?

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=123&item=4185&intAbsolutePage=1

or any other suggestions

thanks

Craig

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
Re: power packs for camp lights
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 09:15:32 PM »
Hey Craig,

My sister has one of these.  Works a treat to jump start the Cruiser and will do so, first time, every time ... provided it's charged.  A convenience item for those too lazy to buy a new battery (like my sister).  So it's really just a small battery with a small charger.

You'll be buying those anyway right?  Might be a good chance to save $69.90 into the "battery I really want" fund.  Second hand batteries come in rather cheap from the wrecker or a mate (or my sister).  Depends on how far in the distance you are doing the whole battery bank in the CT thing I guess.

Seeing that LED's use somewhere around 2 to 4 amps per hour ... can your car battery run them for a night or two as you say it's only for weekend trips?  You'll charge it as you drive (a further saving for the "battery I really want" fund).  And you won't need to remove the lighter end from the LED's (a further saving).

Am I starting to sound like your HandBrake yet?  :)

Kit_e
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:17:22 PM by Kit_e_kat9 »
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline shrek4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle AT12 & 2020 Nissan Patrol Ti-L
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 09:20:26 PM »
We have that exact one.

Great for the LED lights etc for a weekend/long weekend.

We even put the 150w inverter into it to run the bug zapper.

We have upgraded to this

which we bought from the home of 12v in Adelaide.

Can also buy them http://www.australiandirect.com.au/product.php/49/105a-h-thumper-dual-battery-system---free-shipping-

If I were to do it again, I'd not get the Thumper again very $$$ for what it is - now I've studied up I'd go with 1 or 2 105 amp batteries hard wired into the CT.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 10:06:06 PM by shrek4 »

Offline Adventure Guy

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 09:59:13 PM »
Hey craigtempo,led lights are very power efficient, depending on their luminous they will use very little amp, don't use your vehicle battery as a power souse for your lights, as Lead acid batteries are designed for starting automotive engines are not designed for deep discharge. They have a large number of thin plates designed for maximum surface area, and therefore maximum current output, but which can easily be damaged by deep discharge. Repeated deep discharges will result in capacity loss and ultimately in premature failure.

Just get a deep cycle battery with the biggest amp you can afford.

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 10:12:55 PM »
Or by a stand alone rechargable lantern like a coleman.  The Coleman was on special at BCF last week for $79 and comes with a decent softcase and 5 year warrenty.  From memory it gives an 8 hr runtime and can be recharged from 240v or your car.  I am sure you would use it into the furture even after your CT is setup with lights and battery so it would not be wasted money.
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 08:19:20 AM »
by Burnsy
Or by a stand alone rechargable lantern like a coleman

You mean this one Burnsy?
That's the one I have.

Very good for seeing things at night & it's quite bright (on the high setting). However, even with it over top of my stove, it's still a bit dull - even with my glasses on  ;D  We do & can read by it when placed behind us, but no more than 1m away.
It's quite sufficent for us until I eventually get a deep cycled battery & LED's, & like you wrote above, even after those, it'll still be a useful peice of camping equipment :)
Bob and Robyn

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 08:52:14 AM »
I think the power tank is a good idea even if/when you get your set up complete. I have a bushranger one that sites behine the fridge in the car just in case and I have tons of battery power. I like the idea of that back up when out and about so you can still keep it for odd jobs around the camp site even when your CT is complete with power. For that price I'd go for it
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 09:46:44 AM »
looking at getting a cheap powerpack to run lights [ fluro or led,s ] on weekend camping trips .just until i get a battery set up for the ct.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=123&item=4185&intAbsolutePage=1

or any other suggestions

thanks

Craig

If you want to use one as a portable power pack then get one of the larger ones, that one only has a 17AH battery.

I've got the largest one with a 38ah battery, that I've had for around 6 years.  I wired in an anderson plug and charged it off the 2nd battery in the Hilux when we went around OZ.  At home it's charged off an old 4amp Arlec charger with a charge controller attached that I scored at a swap meet for $5.  You'll grow a ZZ Top style beard waiting for it to charge with the 0.5amp charger that come with it.

The cheap Chinese battery lasted almost 3 years after powering lights, fridges, compressors, inverters, laptops, phones and jump starting just about everything with a motor.  It cost me $105 delivered on ebay, a replacment jump pack at Supercheap Auto was $190, so instead I opted to put a quality Panasonic battery in it for $200 (the exact same batteries are used in wheelchairs and golf buggies) so I should get more that 3 years out of it.

Make sure you get one that has an isolator switch for the jumper leads, some don't.  My mates tipped over in the back of his ute and made a big mess!

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 10:39:59 AM »
You mean this one Burnsy?
That's the one I have.

Very good for seeing things at night & it's quite bright (on the high setting). However, even with it over top of my stove, it's still a bit dull - even with my glasses on  ;D  We do & can read by it when placed behind us, but no more than 1m away.
It's quite sufficent for us until I eventually get a deep cycled battery & LED's, & like you wrote above, even after those, it'll still be a useful peice of camping equipment :)

This http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/gear/lighting/electric-lighting/spotlights-and-lanterns/metallic-recharge-retro-spiral-lantern.aspx is the one we got.  As I said, currently on sale at BCF for $79 with a good soft cover protection bag. We keep it inside as it is great for blackouts at home.  I think they are well worth having.  Also totally safe if you have kids that want to camp in their own tent rather than being in with the parents.
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 10:41:57 AM »

or any other suggestions

thanks

Craig

I used to use that for camp lighting before I bought my camper and in the early days of my camper ( pre battery). It will do the job for led lighting and phone charging as long as you can charge it regularly. As has been mentioned the batteries in them aren't real good and will only last a couple of years. I now have one with twice the battery capacity to make it easier for jump starts (my older one would do it but only just).

Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 11:25:10 AM »
I think the power tank is a good idea even if/when you get your set up complete. I have a bushranger one that sites behine the fridge in the car just in case and I have tons of battery power. I like the idea of that back up when out and about so you can still keep it for odd jobs around the camp site even when your CT is complete with power. For that price I'd go for it

yes this is what i was thinking .i would like a thumper but as yet i just want a simple inexpensive  power supply for some lights and it sounds like it would do what i want of it [ thanks shreck4  ]..and a jump start obviously can be used if i get a flat battery on my 4x4, AND a thumper is on my list as a backup supply .

Ive had a re chargable Coleman lantern before but they just don't put out  enough light [ well this one didn't anyway ... maybe they've gotten better] for me .

will go 12v .. 120 amp[ if not bigger] ...solar ... Anderson everything .... for lights and fridge in the not 2 distant future .

Craig
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 11:28:51 AM by craigtempo »

Offline rescue1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • D40 Navara [HIS] T31 X-Trail [HERS]
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 08:38:12 PM »
Aldi had a jump start unit for sale a few weeks back that had lighter sockets on it, they might still have them was around the $50 mark from memory

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 09:26:44 PM »
For running lights and LED ones at that, the simple little power packs from Aldi. Supa Cheap etc, will do the trick for about 3 days until they will need a charge. Perfect for a weekend, but and there is a but, if you get a 12v compressor fridge and want to run one of these on a power pack...the worlds your oyster with power packs...check out the Electrical forum for ideas...you'll be glade you did!

Offline 9775Andrew

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 09:46:27 PM »
I carry a couple of these
 http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SEALED-LEAD-ACID-7-2-Amp-Hour-12V-/330452943496?pt=AU_Electronics_Batteries_Chargers&hash=item4cf087c288
for remote lighting. I pay about $15 a battery (trade price)

7Ah Gel Battery hold charge state for a thousand years, run fluro for a couple of days. Great if you're away from camp, toilet, fishing, boat

Come in 7Ah, 18Ah, 40Ah. Price goes up pretty quickly though.

Cheap as chips

Hope the web address thingy worked
We're Grey Nomads in Training

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 09:39:49 AM »
I carry a couple of these
 http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SEALED-LEAD-ACID-7-2-Amp-Hour-12V-/330452943496?pt=AU_Electronics_Batteries_Chargers&hash=item4cf087c288
for remote lighting. I pay about $15 a battery (trade price)

7Ah Gel Battery hold charge state for a thousand years, run fluro for a couple of days. Great if you're away from camp, toilet, fishing, boat

Come in 7Ah, 18Ah, 40Ah. Price goes up pretty quickly though.

Cheap as chips

Hope the web address thingy worked

yeah this is what im taking this weekend . i use this battery to run my fishfinder and electrics in my kayak .

craig