Author Topic: Annex Zip Replaced - Adelaide  (Read 7239 times)

Offline shrek4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle AT12 & 2020 Nissan Patrol Ti-L
Annex Zip Replaced - Adelaide
« on: March 19, 2011, 01:21:20 PM »
Hi all, we purchased a second hand CT and when we set it up the other day for the first time experienced that the zipper (slider part) is completely missing from the zip that connects the annex to the CT tent.

Edit: The orginal owners had never used the annex, was brand new, not a spot of dust on in it the canvas bags. So it clearly left the manufacturer like this (Arrow Trailers of Golden Grove SA).

We took it to a blinds place today who told us that the manufactured has installed the same side of the zipper on both the annex roof and on the CT, thus one or the other needs to have the zip completely replaced.

They quoted $110 to do so.

They mentioned that the zip itself (size 10) is going to be $30 for the 4m length, thus $80 for labour.

Is this reasonable?

Where else can I get a quote from?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Shrek4 (Tobias)

Offline Ricey

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • It is what it is
Re: Annex Zip Replaced - Adelaide
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 02:39:57 PM »
Tobias
That price sounds OK to me as there is a fair bit of work in replacing the zip. I have mucked around with sewing canvas and it is not as easy as it looks.
If you are coming to the SA meet you are welcome to use my machine if you want to have a go.

Cheers  :cheers:
Brian

Lifes Like That

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 04:34:14 PM »
If you just want to get  another quote try Challenge Camper Trailers in Edwardstown.

They do canvas work on top of their own camper making.

Offline Bookleaf

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 06:09:04 PM »
Hi Shrek4. 
Thought I would post this here so all can access the info rather than a phone call

Contacted a couple of canvas savvy companies.  One a CT manufacturer and Canvas goods maker, the other a canvas goods maker who manufactures as well as carrying out repairs to all sorts of things canvas.

To summarise their comments
1. All Zip manufacuteres make zips of slightly different sizes and teath spacing/shape, even though they may be "Size 10". or "equivalent to brand XX".  It is important to ensure the mating section is the same as its mate.
2. It is an highly unlikely event, but is is possible that the zip sections on the tent and on the annex are of different manufacture/style. ie not compatible, even though they look the same.  They would want to see the tent section to confirm that the section they are to supply will in fact, mate with the tent.
3. To replace the Annex section would be around $110-$120 (cold quote)
4. If they can not match the tent zip, they would have to replace both sides (or supply a new side to match the Annex).  This would necessitate the removal of the tent from the trailer so they can stitch it on their machine.  Not cheep, $250 - $300 extra at a minimum!!
5. One said 1 week to action, the other around 3 (Easter rush is upon us)!
6. One said they use continuous zip stock instead of dedicated lengths and supply the slider and terminate the ends with sewing and tape.  It may be possible that they can solve your problem this way.  Need to see both sections to advise.  Can possible look Saturday morning.  These are the 3 week delay people!!

Bookleaf
Isuzu MUX, LS-M, Cameron Canvas Camper

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 06:42:04 PM »
The price is okay.

I've tried matching zips and it is hit and miss. Some manufacturers even have a special breed of zips so you (me) can't buy it and you need to get the repair or mod done by the manufacturer. I don't buy in massive bulk so I don't have the same access as some, just something I have noticed from experience.

The price is about $7 per meter, give or take depending on size etc.

Sewing zips is not easy, it's the cause of many stuff ups on my behalf. If you don't line things up perfectly, the zip can't walk a few teeth and will skew the two parts, hard to explain. Something I learned very quickly needless to say!  8)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 07:07:30 PM »
Agreed on matching zips. When I had the kids room option added to the Tambo they gave me the other part of the zip for when/if we had the kids room made.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 07:32:20 PM »
If you just want to get  another quote try Challenge Camper Trailers in Edwardstown.

They do canvas work on top of their own camper making.
My Father in law services their sewing machines, I would definately check them out :cup:
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline BurnsOil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 08:28:41 PM »
Could also try Bradey Canvas on Daws Road.  Have had work done there, including making up walls to fit a Cameron Canvas CT tent.
Challenge 'Outback' Off Road Deluxe Camper Trailer;
Nissan Pathfinder R51 ST TD Man, Smartbar, Spotlights, AirLift 1000, Rhino Roof Racks, Waeco CF-50, dual battery, Uniden TX3440 UHF.

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 06:30:39 AM »
Hi,
just an option I'll throw out there,
I also have an arrow trailer, but no annex, the zip is already sewn into the main tent and if your annex fitted my main tent (it should ??) i would be interested in your annex and you could then just buy an annex to suit the zip in your tent, just a long shot, depends on which bit of the zip they got wrong,
I did enquire via Dave Benson caravans on grand junction road about an annex for mine as this is where the previous owner bought my camper new from and they did recomend somewhere, can't remember but maybee worth a ring,
PM me if you want to take this any further,
I live in the NE suburbs less than 1/2 hrs drive from you
cheers
Garry