Author Topic: Inconsiderate Campers  (Read 11963 times)

Offline jtraf

• Tent User
Inconsiderate Campers
« on: March 15, 2011, 01:38:47 PM »
Well we just spent the Labour day long weekend up at the Lakeside camp ground on lake Eildon.  Using the baby steps method with my sister and her family to get them into camping and hopefully down the track a fellow camper trailer owner.

With this in mind we book 5 sites and stayed up there with three other families and setup a mini community within the camp site with each group being in there own tent and us in the Hilton as it came to be known camper......the last site was setup with tarp tables and communial cooking fire space...

Anyway it was great until it got the night time when a group in the camp spot thought it was there god given right to setup a disco with the doof doof music and endless screaming.......Was really not an issue until it got to past 11pm and the kids in our group all 9 of them were still tossing and turning and complaing as they couldn't get to sleep because of the music and screaming.

Even walking over there an pilotly asking them to put the music down after midnight was met with words that I can't use here.....

Only when the Police were called in by another family group next to them at 1am was the music and utter senseless noise stopped...

Then on Sunday night everything was going well right up to 11pm as there music made nice background cover and noise was certainly within reason for a camping area.......then at 11pm volume was again wound right up for no other reason then being rude....

Again Police had to be called in to restore the peace......

Now I know that camping in an area with 50 or so camp spots is always louder than camping on your own....but why do people have to be so inconsiderate???? >:( >:(
James - 1994 Patrol GQ TD42T Auto dragging around our 2007 Trackabout Safari Camper

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
Re: Inconsiderate Campers
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 01:46:12 PM »
probably better in the vent thread..

some people are just idiots
Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

Offline FZJ

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 01:47:49 PM »
Unfortunately the bogans of the world feel the need to have noise every where they go.Why get out of the house/away from clubs and pubs to have all the noise of a pub and club? I dont get it.
You have the answer right there with you.If you have kids, pack a selection of the noisiest toys you can find.Then let them loose at 6am next to the dingbats tent.I have a toy lawn mower that makes as much noise as a real one, I give it to my young bloke, if the occasion arrises , and he does some maintenance around their site ,pre sunrise. ;D ;D ;D
I dont mind going to work, its the 8 hours  i have to wait to go home again that annoys me.

Camel bushman....

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
I go and talk to them, usually works. If not I tamper with their stuff under the cover of darkness.

Offline gonfishen

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 01:56:18 PM »
If and when we are annoyed by loud music and stupid behaviour i feel the need to run my chain saw flat out (just testing it) at 7 in the morning, the look on the faces of the offending party is priceless.  :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 02:02:46 PM »
Chainsaws are good, when you have one coming at you full throttle do you know if the chain is on or not :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 02:09:09 PM »
I want a chainsaw.  ;D
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 02:19:24 PM »
there god given right
Unfortunatly...that's why they do it  >:(

We went camping last w/end. Got there about lunch on Friday & setup.
Horrified by about 6pm when the 4 adjoining spots started filling up by what was obviously a group of 18ish-early 20yr old friends - Malibu Utes, recycled sardine can 4 bangers, large communial tarp, 8 tents & countless esky/ice boxes.
Bit of a quiet party that night & toned right down at a reasonable hour & an early turn in, figured they were still worn out a bit from working all week.
Saturday night comes along, same as the night before, except they stayed up much longer, but to my pleasent shock, again they were consideret of the other campers & kept it down to the point that once I went to to sleep, I stayed there. Even the minister who is a light sleeper didn't get woken  8).
Was so impressed, when they were packing up Sunday, I strolled over & thanked them.
Bob and Robyn

Offline spargo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "Love that car.."
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 02:36:58 PM »
Unfortunatly...that's why they do it  >:(

We went camping last w/end. Got there about lunch on Friday & setup.
Horrified by about 6pm when the 4 adjoining spots started filling up by what was obviously a group of 18ish-early 20yr old friends - Malibu Utes, recycled sardine can 4 bangers, large communial tarp, 8 tents & countless esky/ice boxes.
Bit of a quiet party that night & toned right down at a reasonable hour & an early turn in, figured they were still worn out a bit from working all week.
Saturday night comes along, same as the night before, except they stayed up much longer, but to my pleasent shock, again they were consideret of the other campers & kept it down to the point that once I went to to sleep, I stayed there. Even the minister who is a light sleeper didn't get woken  8).
Was so impressed, when they were packing up Sunday, I strolled over & thanked them.

So glad to hear a good story amongst what will likely be some horrors. I tip my hat to you for going over and giving them a pat on the back.. Following that, there's a good chance they'll know their limits and what people expect, and will continue similar behaviour elsewhere.

God I'm turning into such an old man. At 32..

Offline britts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 03:43:32 PM »
x2

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 03:52:43 PM »
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline albyback1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Never too busy to go camping
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 04:49:19 PM »
Unfortunately the bogans of the world feel the need to have noise every where they go.Why get out of the house/away from clubs and pubs to have all the noise of a pub and club? I dont get it.
You have the answer right there with you.If you have kids, pack a selection of the noisiest toys you can find.Then let them loose at 6am next to the dingbats tent.I have a toy lawn mower that makes as much noise as a real one, I give it to my young bloke, if the occasion arrises , and he does some maintenance around their site ,pre sunrise. ;D ;D ;D

Love it....

I managed and Aboriginal Community (Engawalla) in the NT and I made it very clear to all and sundry - wake me up when I am sleeping, I will wake you up when you are sleeping!

Worked very well for the 18 months I was there

Picture is 5 mile water hole... just off the Plenty Highway north of Anytje.
Every where I go I bring pleasure. Sometimes it's when I arrive... but usually its when I leave!

Variflex

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 06:29:01 PM »
I usually find the loud inconsiderate campers tend to pass out about 3am from excess alcohol and thats when you sort them out, Staun tyre deflators can be your friend.

Offline NewcastleKnight

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 06:42:52 PM »
Lucky for me when I am camping I usually drink enough, combined with some medication I have to take to sleep through anything...those that have been away with me can attest to that..... ;D ;D

Many years ago when I was a  :police: we got called to a noise complaint.  We had to go back three times.  Given that in those days there was not alot we could do to stop the music, legally at any rate, the Sgt I was with devised a plan.  When we got called back the fourth time we did not bother to speak with the occupants of the house.  We went to the fuse box, grabbed handfulls of the fuses and threw them as far as we could....we drove off and did not get another call for the rest of the night.... ;D

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 07:01:41 PM »

I also think these "Larakins" are a PITA.  We found Doof Doof at 2 locations annoying, but there really is nothing one can do when they outlast you sleep wise.  However, there is alot you can do at 6am if you are an early bird (which I'm not).  All I can think of to do is scream STFU as loudly as I can, which they usually don't hear anyhow, but it gives me a sense of satisfaction in a weird kind of way.

As for midnight rendevous with outspoken gennies or Staun tyre deflators (thanks for that we have a set and I'd always wondered why) I'd much prefer a place that has only myself and The Man.  That way we can only offend the local wildlife with our Nudistic Ways.   ;D

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline albyback1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Never too busy to go camping
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 07:29:47 PM »
  That way we can only offend the local wildlife with our Nudistic Ways.   ;D

Kit_e

that is making me blush just thinking about it....NOT :angel:
Every where I go I bring pleasure. Sometimes it's when I arrive... but usually its when I leave!

Offline NewcastleKnight

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 07:30:33 PM »
that is making me blush just thinking about it....NOT :angel:

Its the animals I am worried about.... :D

Offline rockygu4.8

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 07:32:31 PM »
Lucky for me when I am camping I usually drink enough, combined with some medication I have to take to sleep through anything...those that have been away with me can attest to that..... ;D ;D

Many years ago when I was a  :police: we got called to a noise complaint.  We had to go back three times.  Given that in those days there was not alot we could do to stop the music, legally at any rate, the Sgt I was with devised a plan.  When we got called back the fourth time we did not bother to speak with the occupants of the house.  We went to the fuse box, grabbed handfulls of the fuses and threw them as far as we could....we drove off and did not get another call for the rest of the night.... ;D

Great stuff it's just a shame this type of policing doesn't exist still although maybe it does in some form. We were camping a couple of months ago at a local camping ground which is in a national park. All sites are very close and on the first night 2 camps away the residents ran a generator one of those 100 Decibel cheap bunnings jobs all night who knows what for. Some people really know how to stuff up your weekend. I had plans to cut the fuel lines the next night but early in the morning it pissed down and all their gear got wet so they packed up and left couldn't have happened to nicer people.

4.8 litre Gu Patrol
2006 Goldstream Storm
2010 Armadilo Arma X

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 07:33:26 PM »
What has been seen cannot be unseen :o
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Offline stevo

• I used to have a handle on life........but it broke
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 08:32:18 PM »
Sorry to hear of your plight, but we have all been there done that. Next time you take the probationary campers out, try Paradise Valley camp near Lake Glenmaggie. Any noise and the old fella who owns the place chucks em out. Camping on the banks of the McAlister river with the luxury of loos and showers.
Isuzu MU-X Coronet caravan
The hearse does not stop at the bank on the way to the cemetery.

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 09:02:31 PM »
I like to use the early morning karma dished out by the kids adjacent to the offenders site with the radio going in the background and a couple tug engine warm ups.

Even had a guy from an offending camp come out one morning at 6.30am with bloodshot eyes demanding that the kids keep the noise down (in not such polite terms >:( >:D) I said that I was sorry but the kids were cranky due to a lack of sleep during the night, he told me I was a smart arse then disappeared into his empty booze can and bottle littered campsite, I then proceeded to straighten out some pegs on the towbar of the tug with a hammer.  ;D ;D ;D

On our return from a drive the Ferrel's had moved on  :cup: :cheers: but left one hell of a mess of litter and empty grog cans and bottles  >:( >:D that we and another camper cleaned up so not to have some poor camper arrive to an ungodly mess of broken glass and strewn litter.
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline jtraf

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 09:05:56 PM »
Sorry to hear of your plight, but we have all been there done that. Next time you take the probationary campers out, try Paradise Valley camp near Lake Glenmaggie. Any noise and the old fella who owns the place chucks em out. Camping on the banks of the McAlister river with the luxury of loos and showers.

Thanks stevo that has been noted. After all the noise and little rain they have not been put off.  Brother-in-law is talking about building a trailer to haul all their gear. Swmbo is currently on the phone with my sister and the smart women she is, is asking if I will look for a lwb Patrol their gear will fit into.

It should be noted in the terms and conditions when you book camping spots on the parks sites that excessive noise is not allow. But Parks Vic don't have the balls to enforce. They couldn't even help us when we got there on Saturday and there was a camp setup on one of our precooked prepaid camp sites. Lucky they got back prior to the last group rolling otherwise the drag chain in the back of the patrol would have lived up to it's name ;D
James - 1994 Patrol GQ TD42T Auto dragging around our 2007 Trackabout Safari Camper

Offline discoteddy

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If in doubt, grab a handful of 2nd gear.
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 11:11:46 AM »
Probationary campers, I love it :cheers: Noise and inconsiderate campers aren't a new monster but their numbers certainly are increasing. Most c'van parks and commercial campsites have a "no amplified music after 10.00pm" rule. I even ask about it before I book and pay for a site. The only time I've ever seen it enforced is at the Trial Bay Goal State Rec Area at Arakoon, SWR. You stuff around there and the ranger removes you first thing in the morning. One new years day he even marched the offending louts around to apologise before he kicked them out....probably why I've spend two weeks there every Jan for as long as I can remember.

The only way to defend against this sort of behaviour is to use our vehicle's and CT's capabilities and push further into the wonderful and remote places that OZ has to offer, if it means low range and a river crossing, even better. :cheers:

Disco.
2015 Goldstream Storm lifted with Vehicle Components best!, 2021 Enter the D Max.

Offline kranky al

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • theeee winaaaaaaar
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 11:38:55 AM »

The only way to defend against this sort of behaviour is to use our vehicle's and CT's capabilities and push further into the wonderful and remote places that OZ has to offer, if it means low range and a river crossing, even better. :cheers:

Disco.

oh yeah - after our trip round oz we discovered this as well - the further you go - the less noise you put up with - i pity our poor old vic and nsw brethren who find it a lot harder to go to out of the way spots - in w.a i just drive up the beach till i havnt seen anyone for 20 minutes
if nissan made a prop plane using the zd30 - would you fly in it?

if fishing were easy it would be called "your mum"

www.pixelpac.com.au

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 11:48:45 AM »
I would say people who use generators inappropriately are the most inconsiderate campers
Living the Dream.